• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga in talks to perform at Super Bowl 51 halftime show

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

lady-gaga-national-anthem-super-bowl-2016-14.jpg

Lady Gaga is inching closer to one of the biggest gigs on the planet: performing at the Super Bowl halftime show in 2017.

Sources tell Billboard that Gaga is in talks for the 51st annual football showdown, scheduled for Feb. 5, 2017 at NRG Stadium in Houston. One of the main reasons for why the NFL is said to be hot on the singer was her performance of the National Anthem at the 2016 Super Bowl. That year, Coldplay -- with guests Beyonce and Bruno Mars -- shared the halftime stage to mixed reviews.

"We have had conversations with several fantastic artists about the Pepsi Super Bowl Halftime Show. However, at this point we do not have a final decision," an NFL rep told Billboard when asked about Gaga. "We’re happy there is so much excitement about the show."

Gaga is coming off of several high-profile appearances in recent years, including a 2015 performance at the Academy Awards which was followed by an Oscar nomination the next year for "'Til It Happens to You" for best original song (written for the documentary The Hunting Ground). Gaga also won a Golden Globe in 2016 for best actress in a miniseries or television film for her role on the FX series American Horror Story: Hotel.

She released a new song, "Perfect Illusion," on Sept. 9 -- the first single from her forthcoming album, which was executive produced by Mark Ronson and features collaborations with Florence Welch of Florence + The Machine, Beck and Father John Misty. While no release date has been announced, Gaga told Elvis Duran on Sept. 12 that the album is expected "really soon."

Billboard has reached out to reps for Gaga for comment.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7503762/lady-gaga-super-bowl-halftime-show-talks

fauxtrot

Banned
Please make a pro Black Lives Matter statement, please. It would be amazing.

I guarantee you the top NFL brass said "lets hire a white person this year, just to be safe".

RPGCrazied

I'm fine with that. She did a stellar job singing at the super bowl. The best I've heard singing that in a long time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What a terrible choice.

rjc571

Banned
You would think a progressive feminist icon like Lady Gaga would want to shy away from performing for an organization which protects rapists and spousal abusers to the degree the NFL does.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Makes sense. Half time isn't for football fans more for everyone else. She has a good voice could easily see her playing a cover or two as well.

Coldplay is lame, but they are a rock band.

Edit: actually the sad truth js if they weren't to pick a pop act or mainstream/classic rock band, it would probably be country.
I would actually be down with them getting a bigger country act for the show. But the fact is, they know that audience is already watching. So why pander to them, and lose the less football-inclined demographics that despise country?

Gaga would put on a great set, I'm sure. But there are certainly other acts I'd like to see experiment with the format.

vikki

Would the NFL take that risk? I think Gaga would love to ruin billions of children's lives or make a really controversial display.

Monocle

But the thread for her new single told me she was over. Do
you expect me to believe the haters are wrong?

Fitts

I know they're trying to cater to an audience that doesn't actually watch football with these halftime shows, but I wonder if they actually ever convert anyone. Wish they would just stick to classic rock bands. Even if it can be kind of sad most are too drunk to notice.

...Bruno Mars was pretty good that one year, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom