• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay-Z Turns Down Offer to Perform at 2018 Super Bowl

ZOONAMI

Jay-Z doesn't seem like he'd fit for a SB performance. As a guest sure, but not a headliner.

What?

By popularity and $ he's an obvious fit. And honestly he does have some pretty killer songs. He only needs like a 3 song set.

Kaep would be doing better than like 5 starting NFL qbs so this is warranted.

Considering the last few half time shows were meh to garbage they could use something to shake it up.

I'm not a Lady Gaga fan but even I have to admit she killed it last year. She probably slept for the next two days after that performance.

Ditto Bruno Mars. His Super Bowl performance showed me how talented he is.

Worst ones were the Black Eyed Peas and the Who. The Who was abysmal Bore you to sleep bad.

smurfx

get some go again
Yeah. I'm kinda confused about this shit, what's the point of a big performer paying for the halftime show.

I mean I guess it's worth it if past performers did it.
maybe if they have a new album coming out they can use the show to promote it and any tv show interviews they get before and after the superbowl.

Time to get the Weird Al push going again.

Good for Jay Z though. If he were to do it I would've loved to see him bring Kaepernick on stage and they both take a knee.

Good on Jay for turning it down. Though tbh I wouldn't mind a hype Super Bowl perfomance. Kanye, Jay, or OutKast would be awesome. Drake would work too.

Syriel

If true, he wouldn't be a good fit for a Super Bowl Show really, only Outkast and Kanye could work if we're talking rappers.

Jay's shows are incredible though.
Fade To Black and Tidal B Sides>>>>>

That's assuming Kanye would perform and not just ramble for five minutes before walking off the stage.

Super Bowl needs old school Kanye, when he was an artist with something to say. Not the post Kardashian reality drama star that he is today.

Damn. Major props to Jay Z for sticking to his morals. (Also, he probably doesn't need the Super Bowl to sell tour tickets, but still)

Curious if Timberlake just does it solo, or they find somebody else for the spot. Swift would probably jump at the opportunity, if only for the PR.

The Kree

Banned
I'd only watch Jay at the super bowl if he performed Reservoir Dogs, Is That Yo Bitch, and Streets is Watching. This recent progressive Jay is boring.

Considering the last few half time shows were meh to garbage they could use something to shake it up.
Lady Gaga - Great
Coldplay and Guests - Okay
Katy Perry and Guests - Meh
Bruno Mars and RHCP - Great
Beyonce - Great

It's definitely been more good than bad lately. It's family programming on the most watched program of the year, expectations should be pretty low and it's more often than not exceeded mine.

JABEE

Story of Oj would be lit

What the hell NFL wants money from concerts? What the fuck?

The NFL gets paid no matter what.

Breast Cancer Awareness. The NFL gets paid.

Military Demonstrations on the Field. Funded by the US Armed Forces via million dollar payments to individual teams.

The NFL Half Time show has become another extortion platform for the NFL to flex its muscles.

Part of the reason Kaepernick is out of the league is that he found a loophole to say something on the field the NFL had no part in organizing. They can fine you for your socks, your headphones, and your brands, but they couldn't touch Kaepernick for 16 games and that pissed them off.

DeathyBoy

Banned
People said that shit about Glastonbury and he won everyone over.

Like or hate the man he can go live, dude repeatedly goes without a hype man too. Best live breathe control I've ever seen.

Still laugh at Jay Z singing Oasus stuff as a "go fuck yourself" diss.

Have you ever listened to a Jay-Z album? Not a radio edit of a song but an album?

People said that shit about Glastonbury and he won everyone over.

Like or hate the man he can go live, dude repeatedly goes without a hype man too. Best live breathe control I've ever seen.

Not sure what Glastonbury is, but I'm like 1% positive its not the most watched television event of the year. The content of his music is the issue.

No hate but you've never seen a concert lof his. I think it is fair to say, kinda of easily too that when you are at his concert, there are so many bonafide hits that most people know the words to, that's aren't performed. He misses albums and years of songs. Last time I saw him, no Big Pimpin, No Money Ain't A Thing, those were monster hits. He doesn't move, he stays in his imaginary box and rocks the crowd. Amazing live performer.

I've seen Jay live in concert and the amount of material he has in the vault is not why he wouldn't be a good fit.

What?

By popularity and $ he's an obvious fit. And honestly he does have some pretty killer songs. He only needs like a 3 song set.

Kaep would be doing better than like 5 starting NFL qbs so this is warranted.

Popularity and money have nothing to do with it. By this logic Eminem should've been done a SB, Weezy too.

Do you realize that he's like top 5 all time in terms of amount of Billboard hits? He'd be great for it.

Sigh. Amount of hits isnt the issue. The issue is the content of those Billboard hits. Jay is my 2nd favorite rapper of all time behind Em, and ahead of DMX, but his songs suck edited, as do most rap songs.

too street

Look someone who gets it. Jay is great, a legend, maybe the best to ever pick up a mic but headlining a SB Halftime show? Nah. That's more pop and country stars. A few R&B artists sure, but not hardcore gangsta rappers.

Go and look at the last 20 Halftime headliners, the most hardcore rappers you'll find is Nelly, P. Diddy and Nicki Minaj. Not exactly in the same lane content wise as Jay.

Apt101

Take the NFL's money, perform, then donate the earnings to BLM while refusing to stand for the anthem at a game.

a.wd

Jay-Z to play OJ, all the players to leave in protest half way through the game after being too woke.

Jay-Z to play is that your chick, all team owners leave for feeling like cucks.

Lunar15

I'm assuming the NFL thought they could "win back that demographic" by getting Jay-Z without thinking about how Jay-Z is part of "that demographic".

Lombax

Banned
talking about it in slack:

[10:16 AM]
as an aside this makes me smile "Jay-Z Turns Down Offer to Perform at 2018 Super Bowl"

[10:17 AM]
i saw that in the airport. i for one am happy

[10:18 AM]
they only way that would have been a good fit IMHO is if he did the show, and did a performance of "the story of OJ"

Good on Jay-Z. Fuck the NFL.

Slayven

The NFL gets paid no matter what.

Breast Cancer Awareness. The NFL gets paid.

Military Demonstrations on the Field. Funded by the US Armed Forces via million dollar payments to individual teams.

The NFL Half Time show has become another extortion platform for the NFL to flex its muscles.

Part of the reason Kaepernick is out of the league is that he found a loophole to say something on the field the NFL had no part in organizing. They can fine you for your socks, your headphones, and your brands, but they couldn't touch Kaepernick for 16 games and that pissed them off.

That is why i always roll my eyes at the pink jerseys

iirc, didn't he also pay the bails of some BLM protesters who who unfairly arrested?

Yeah he is always doing shit like that

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Man I'd kill for a Kanye half-time...

Jay-Z doesn't seem like he'd fit for a SB performance. As a guest sure, but not a headliner.

they said that about him headlining glastonbury and he was alright, and that's a 2 plus hour slot. I feel like with his resources he could manage to put on a good 15 minute show.

edit just seen your replies to this stuff, lol

Acorn

Have you ever listened to a Jay-Z album? Not a radio edit of a song but an album?

Not sure what Glastonbury is, but I'm like 1% positive its not the most watched television event of the year. The content of his music is the issue.

I've seen Jay live in concert and the amount of material he has in the vault is not why he wouldn't be a good fit.

Popularity and money have nothing to do with it. By this logic Eminem should've been done a SB, Weezy too.

Sigh. Amount of hits isnt the issue. The issue is the content of those Billboard hits. Jay is my 2nd favorite rapper of all time behind Em, and ahead of DMX, but his songs suck edited, as do most rap songs.

Look someone who gets it. Jay is great, a legend, maybe the best to ever pick up a mic but headlining a SB Halftime show? Nah. That's more pop and country stars. A few R&B artists sure, but not hardcore gangsta rappers.

Go and look at the last 20 Halftime headliners, the most hardcore rappers you'll find is Nelly, P. Diddy and Nicki Minaj. Not exactly in the same lane content wise as Jay.
You don't know what Glastonbury is. I can't take your opinion seriously. It's one of the most historic and biggest rock festivals. Content of his music isn't any issue the man has a huge fucking catalogue.

Edit hardcore Gangsta rapper lmao you don't know shit about what you're expressing an opinion on. Learn then speak otherwise you end up looking silly.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The future of Super Bowl halftime shows is going to be classic rock, Toby Keith and 3 Doors Down on annual rotation at this rate.

TuXx

They'll get Nikki or Taylor

After all the bad press they've received last year, they'll be more than happy to do it.

Top Bottom