• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: 'Gears 5' Is The Win That Microsoft Needed, The Xbox's Answer To 'Uncharted'

CyberPanda

Banned
There’s no doubt that Microsoft needed a win. Sony won the exclusive software battle this generation in spectacular form, offering PS4 players a range of critically acclaimed prestige titles like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and more, with big games like Death Stranding, Ghosts of Tsushima and The Last of Us Part 2 yet to come. Microsoft, for the most part, flailed. Games like ReCore went nowhere, and much-hyped titles like Crackdown 3 didn’t find themselves rising anywhere close to the levels of critical acclaim heaped on Sony’s exclusives. It still has the rock-solid Forza series, but even Halo didn’t quite give the Xbox One what it needed. Now, moments before we embark upon a hype train ready to take us to the Xbox Scarlett and PlayStation 5, Microsoft has a win on its hand. Gears 5 is here, and it’s great.

The Gears series has had its ups and downs, from the beloved and technically stunning first three games to a more recent lull in popularity with Judgement and Gears of War 4. But Gears 5 is a spectacular return to form, bringing us the same level of jaw-dropping graphical achievement that stunned the world back with the original Gears of War and layering that with a compelling story inside of an ever more complex world. The campaign does what a campaign like this is meant to do: bring some charming characters from epic setpiece to epic setpiece, exploring a bunch of stunning locals while facing some moral quandaries eery once in a while. That might sound a little reductive, but the team pulls off this particular formula with explosive grace, leaning both on a new generation of characters and now-extensive lore to deliver big moments that manage to land with both the gameplay and the narrative at once, which is no mean feat.

The closest analogue in Sony’s roster has to be the Uncharted series, another story-driven cover shooter with some massive set pieces and a reputation for graphical wizardry, albeit one with a vastly different aesthetic. Which one you prefer is a matter of taste: Uncharted tends to get more critical accolades because of its snappy writing and masterful control over story pacing, but there’s no question that Gears brings with it significantly more mechanical sophistication, as well as robust multiplayer modes that Uncharted can’t really compete with. It sounds like an odd comparison because of the different trips that these two series have taken to their current moments, but it’s hard not to see them in comparison now that we’re here in 2019. Uncharted still has the lead in overall characterization and writing, but Gears is the better shooter by far.

But the fact that we can even make this comparison is a win for Microsoft. Again, Redmond has been on the back foot for a long time, and one of the company’s major priorities with Xbox has been to expand exclusive development in preparation for the next generation. We haven’t yet seen the fruits of the company’s recent studio acquisitions, but Gears 5 bodes well for the future. Here we have a game that was not only clearly given the resources it needed to excel, but also a game that managed to do something spectacular with them.

Gears 5 is in Game Pass to stay, so anyone buying a next-generation Xbox along with what’s bound to be a promotional subscription will get to play this thing right off the bat. And if the PC version I’m playing right now is any indication, it’s going to look incredible.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Agreed that its what they needed, but I would argue its more of a killer app for Game Pass than Xbox One itself. The fact that this Forbes writer is playing on PC tells me as much. Gears 5 is the type of thing that makes people take a look into Game Pass. Then from there the new consumer looks into either PC or Xbox One/Scarlet depending on what they have or what they can afford.

Game Pass is easily the second major victory for Xbox this gen (first was their magic with backwards compatibility).

Bergoglio

As a long term Gears of War player since 2007, I have always had issues with the series’s lore. Personally, I think the origin of the locust is plot-hole and plot inconsistency. If the locust are descended from Sires from the New Hope Facility there numbers, culture and architecture don’t make sense. I really want the lore to be more clear and more developed. But, I also want there to be more convincing explanations of things significant to the series such as: the origin of the locust, humans on Sera , imuslion and the Swarm. I think we well see more Gears games than Uncharted in the future.

Last edited:
Didn't Uncharted: Drake's Fortune get called an answer to Gears of War on release as well as derivative of that game? I certainly knew that was the argument on forums at the time. But hey, not the first time a franchise Uncharted came after was a response to it, looking at you Tomb Raider reboot.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I'm much more positive in my outlook for Xbox than most but this article is nothing more than console war baiting trash typical of "Forbes Contributors."

Having a strong exclusive against many is not a "win" by any stretch of the imagination, and trying to compare Gears and Uncharted as apples to apples is a disservice to both franchises.

Last edited:

Yu Furealdo

I'm much more positive in my outlook for Xbox than most but this article is nothing more than console war baiting trash typical of "Forbes Contributors."

Having a strong exclusive against many is not a "win" by any stretch of the imagination, and trying to compare Gears and Uncharted as apples to apples is a disservice to both franchises.

Yeah both series are pretty different, especially now. Gears 5 is as much of an 'answer' to Uncharted as it is to any AAA game, really...

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

As a long term Gears of War player since 2007, I have always had issues with the series’s lore. Personally, I think the origin of the locust is plot-hole and plot inconsistency. If the locust are descended from Sires from the New Hope Facility there numbers, culture and architecture don’t make sense. I really want the lore to be more clear and more developed. But, I also want there to be more convincing explanations of things significant to the series such as: the origin of the locust, humans on Sera , imuslion and the Swarm. I think we well see more Gears games than Uncharted in the future.

I decided to play through all the gears games again, currently got about half of judgement left before I finally go to 5 and I agree with this, the amount of plot holes when it comes to the locust is insane. They have a social dynamic, culture, language (?), and even things like a numerical system that take hundreds of years to develop, nevermind the amount of built structures underground and the domestication of most of the creatures in the hollow.

Personally I think it made much more sense when it was believed that the locust were a species native to Sera that lived underground. The whole human looking queen thing is a bit sketch.

The games also don't really do a good job of telling these things to the player, in Gears 2 when I beat the sires level for the first time I just figured they were running experiments on locust mutations. It wasn't until I decided to research deeper into the lore that I found out about the locust origins.

Gears plot could be narrowed down to buff dudes against bug looking aliens/creatures in order to save the world/humanity but as they try to expand on it they'll need to address these plotholes.

Despite all this I really enjoy the universe and wish they gave us more info on it.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
OP and Forbes dude are right, Gears is a pillar for M$.
They are aliens you shoot, how much more clear do you need to be?

what microsoft needs is to make halo 5 f2p, port it to pc, and take arena shooters back

good client prediction, clean audio codecs, prox chat, ELO matchmaking, crossplat enabling
I'm sure people would like that but won't change the fact that fortnite, lol, dota2, wow etc dwarf everything in gaming outside of GTA.

Xbox as a platform just seems so unnecessary now.

Caffeine

I'm sure people would like that but won't change the fact that fortnite, lol, dota2, wow etc dwarf everything in gaming outside of GTA.

its really just a cheap option for an entrance to market. kinda like those steam boxes were.

Xenon

Agreed that its what they needed, but I would argue its more of a killer app for Game Pass than Xbox One itself. The fact that this Forbes writer is playing on PC tells me as much. Gears 5 is the type of thing that makes people take a look into Game Pass. Then from there the new consumer looks into either PC or Xbox One/Scarlet depending on what they have or what they can afford.

Game Pass is easily the second major victory for Xbox this gen (first was their magic with backwards compatibility).
Though an argument could be made for it being the 3rd. The Xbox One X was the second.

jakinov

We need someone to help keep Sony on their toes and help give some power to consumers. We need an alternative for people to better vote with their wallet. We need reasons for Sony to be motivated to go hard with their first party efforts, innovating as a platform and optimizing consumer benefit. Look at after the PS2 generation, how non-innovative and arrogant Sony was. They made things harder for developers and they knew it and they saw it as their own advantage for their first party efforts. They lacked a shit ton of features Xbox provided and that was released before it. Xbox came in and "stole" a bunch of their traditionally 3rd party exclusives franchises and made a shit ton of deals that got them exclusive releases and content; and that pushed Sony to really change their strategy. They realized they couldn't neglect their 3rd party anymore, started talking/supporting 3rd party developers more, started copying all the things Xbox did better, started coming out with their own unique features on the PS4, and reved up their first party efforts by acquiring studios, & making multi-game deals with a bunch of independently owned ones. An example from the other side on the importance of competition, is when Xbox did the anti-used game thing. If Sony, wasn't there they would have kept on with it. If Xbox wasn't there Sony would probably do the same or something similar, and there'd be no pressure for them not to. They said they never planned to do anything like that, but they definitely were trying to curb used game sales because it impacted them too; as they don't get royalties and are publishers themselves. Xbox's decision and the resulting outrage is likely what led to Sony banning online passes (a practice which they themselves participated in shortly before) and possibly them not even considering adding new restrictions.

Gamernyc78

Banned
This isn't the answer to Uncharted because imo and the consensus is that in terms of sales and quality Uncharted has eclipsed it and is on another level. This was basically a decent to good game Microsoft needed after all the busts and mediocre shit thy been putting out. This definitely shouldn't be a kudos moment but an "about time moment" on one of your established ips. It's a competent offering finally after the last few games (not talking about Gears series) thy have been putting out.

Sony's devs are going to push boundaries, innovate, come out with quality no matter who is around because thts just in their ethics. Good devs take pride in their work. Of course competition is good but Gears 5 isn't pushing ND to do anything it hasn't taken tht crown from them, if anything Uncharted with less linear play has influenced this last itineration of Gears although thy claimed it was God of War.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
I am only half way through Gears 5 but as of this point there is no character or actor (except for John DiMaggio as Marcus) likable enough to carry the cinematic weight that Nolan North shoulders in Uncharted.
Kait, Del and JD feel fake, and their banter feels silly and forced compared to Nate and Sully for example.

Ten_Fold

Game pass is soo good for Microsoft, especially for big IP like gears, I think I’ll grab gamepass on my PC to play some gears.

I am only half way through Gears 5 but as of this point there is no character or actor (except for John DiMaggio as Marcus) likable enough to carry the cinematic weight that Nolan North shoulders in Uncharted.
Kait, Del and JD feel fake, and their banter feels silly and forced compared to Nate and Sully for example.
Never actually played through any of the previous gears games believe it or not. When Gears 3 had the multiplayer beta I spent a considerable amount or time in that though. Playing through Gears 5 now with game pass and it is a really good looking game. I wish I had an Xbox one X to take advantage of the HDR.

SpartanN92

Banned
Never actually played through any of the previous gears games believe it or not. When Gears 3 had the multiplayer beta I spent a considerable amount or time in that though. Playing through Gears 5 now with game pass and it is a really good looking game. I wish I had an Xbox one X to take advantage of the HDR.

I love Gears 1-3, you should absolutely give those a shot if you get a chance. CoOp on the highest difficulty in those games is an amazing experience.

Thaedolus

what microsoft needs is to make halo 5 f2p, port it to pc, and take arena shooters back

good client prediction, clean audio codecs, prox chat, ELO matchmaking, crossplat enabling
You should work for Microsoft.

I hope this doesn't sound fanboyish, I own every Sony platform and have only owned an X360 which I've since sold, but Uncharted doesn't even touch Gears in terms of gameplay or even storytelling in my mind. Maybe better acted/console graphics/production values, but that's about it. I found the gunplay to be completely unsatisfying and a jarring contrast to the lightheartedness of the characters. It was a weird juxtaposition that broke my suspension of disbelief. TLOU I consider to be one of my favorite games ever, and along with Gears that's a huge difference between them and Uncharted...just consistency in the tone. Although some of the lighthearted banter among the younger Gears in Gears 4 and 5 is a pretty cringe

jOPFpFW.png

ruvikx

Banned
They should wait for sales data, player base longevity & all the word of mouth tralalalala before screaming "victory". Gears 5 won't have the gaming pop culture impact of the first 3 Gears. That seems self evident. I also doubt it'll reach the popularity heights of the Uncharted trilogy either.

Wait & see but in this market games are like fast food: consumed & flushed within hours.

Roberts

Let me know when Uncharted franchise is even close to reaching the level of excitement when playing any of the GoW games. Don't get me wrong, Nathan Drake's adventures are ok games, but the storytelling portion is a collection of Hollywood cliches and the gameplay is really nothing to write home about. Its slick presentation gives an illusion of a better game than it is actually is.

LostDonkey

The last two Tomb Raiders have been better than Uncharted for me. MultiPlatform already beat MS to it a while back.

Gears 5 is a totally different kind of game though im not sure you can even compare the two. If I was to compare gears to anything else i guess it would have to be The Order on Sonys side and Id still put Gears 5 above it even though it was a very short but ok TPS.

Last edited:

Dane

Comparing Uncharted and Gears of War is like comparing Corolla AE86 to a first generation MR2. Both are in too different sides of a same genre.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
If I had to choose between the two... it’s Gears. Easily. The gunplay and action is just superior across the board. Always been the better series.

Naughty Dog is trash

Soltype

Now I have to play this game, people can't decide if it's over-hyped or underrated. No one talked this much about gears 4, so something has to be going on with this game, be it good or bad.

ruvikx

Banned
Let me know when Uncharted franchise is even close to reaching the level of excitement when playing any of the GoW games. Don't get me wrong, Nathan Drake's adventures are ok games, but the storytelling portion is a collection of Hollywood cliches and the gameplay is really nothing to write home about. Its slick presentation gives an illusion of a better game than it is actually is.

Uncharted 2 was big back in 2009, i.e. blockbuster level "huge" in the console war at the time. Back then, PS3 versus Xbox 360 actually mattered, with both consoles enjoying their flagship popular titles pushing gameplay & graphics. I just don't see the same potential in any modern releases on either console.

That collective lack of passion or obsession applies to most games, even the popular franchises. It's just getting all too "samey" now for stuff like Gears 5 to look unmissable & a "must buy" in this market. That's just my opinion. I'll say the same about stuff like Last of Us 2 as well.

Gamernyc78

Banned
If I had to choose between the two... it’s Gears. Easily. The gunplay and action is just superior across the board. Always been the better series.

Naughty Dog is trash

Yeah the run, post up and bounce off wall with shot gun lol definitely better gun play and action /s meanwhile in planet Uncharted you can take cover, zip line, climb tall walls, do traversal and game play is dynamic asf lol you not fooling us most of us have played both. I was just playing Gears 5 mp with its sane stiff ass, drunken slanted running (always feels weird) and hopped over a very little ledge to then go to cover in another place a little bit higher but couldn't vault over lol I was like wtf is this. Gears gameplay is static, generic and very Tiring by now. You can do so much more in Uncharted games. But it's OK I'll zip line pass you and watch u hating from the sideline dude bro 😂😂😂

Those meta scores must be giving you nightmares "easily" 😂 😂 😂

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

This has been the case Ever since uncharted 2 which swept the floor in awards over every game tht year and shitted all over Gears lol Wtf u been or what planet you live on? Since Uc2 Gears has been seen as chasing Uncharted tail and never been the same. Tht Uncharted 2 demo alone had more hype when it was shown with tons of action than anything Gears in years 🤔🤣

Boy revisionist history and forgetfulness is stong in some of these threads.

Either way although not feeling, being as dynamic or controlling as good as UC games Gears is still a decent game. I'm having fun with Gears 5.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
GameSpot review 7/10 - Spot ON

Shit, even (especially) game sites have lost all their lustre & I don't know many people who give a flying-f about Gamespot or other such site's scores. Ten years ago, people literally obsessed over the 0.1 differences in review scores between platform exclusives. It was "serious business" in the console war (there's a hilarious gaf Uncharted 3 review thread as evidence).

Do you know what Miscrosoft's only possible answer to PlayStation could be? Sell a better spec console (or identical) at a lower price. That's it. But releasing Gears 5, 6, 7 or 800 won't make Xbox answer Uncharted with anything (especially considering Uncharted was discontinued & wasn't even anywhere near the reason why Sony's machine is more sucessful).

Bryank75

Banned
LMAO

2007, Uncharted is the answer to Gears.. .

2019 . Gears is the answer to Uncharted ....

GameSpot review 7/10 - Spot ON

Yup, you could see the review releases were tightly managed and the media themselves knew an xbox 'win' was overdue and that they would play their part. I mean Uncharted 4 still got a 40% troll review and its meta is 10 points above Gears 5.

Even looking at Gears 5, the environmental art and assets look like they were taken out of Uncharted 4 and a Gears guy superimposed onto it, the girl even has an amulet like Drake or someone would carry . The gameplay is stiff, there is very little verticality and there is a video showing how Gears 2 animation was way better than 5. Its just really dated, some people love that nostalgia but it's not that long ago for me.

Anyone saying Gears has better gameplay than UC4 , just play the two multiplayers back to back... Uncharted 4 blows it away. Gears is simple simon in comparison.

Top Bottom