• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Microsoft Is Continuing Its Quiet Plan To End The Console War

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Source.

There was some big news out of Microsoft and Xbox yesterday, even if it doesn't seem like it. The company announced that it would be bringing Xbox Live support to three mobile titles from Gameloft: Asphalt 9: Legends, Asphalt 8: Airborne, and Dragon Mania Legends. This means these games will receive a bunch of Xbox Live's services wherever they're played, including things like leaderboards, achievements and friends lists. On its face, this is a fairly run-of-the-mill corporate announcement. But look closely and you'll see big hints at Microsoft's plans for the future of gaming.
We recall a similar announcement from a little while ago when Microsoft brought Xbox exclusive Cuphead over to the Nintendo Switch along with the same Xbox Live services it's now offering Gameloft. In both cases, the message is clear: Xbox Live is transitioning from being the network that powers gaming on Xbox consoles to being a broader backend service that can be used by a range of developers on a range of platforms.
It's right in line with the enterprise work that has formed the backbone of Microsoft's business for years, just applied to a gaming context: it appears that Microsoft wants to be the backend that developers can use to manage their online services. Steam does something similar on PC and Epic Games is moving quickly to challenge that turf, but Microsoft is well-positioned to make a push on other platforms.
---
Microsoft is clearly still making hardware: we'll see the new consoles at E3 this year, and I don't think that we're going to see the end of hardware platforms or local computing in gaming anytime soon. The console war will be alive and well in 2020. But this has actually been a longstanding story in the gaming industry: consoles used to vary wildly, with strikingly different graphical capabilities and completely different libraries. They've been converging for a while now, to the point where the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 play a broad swath of the same multiplatform games with relatively similar graphics, distinguished mostly by platform-level services and an array of exclusive games that don't ultimately make up a huge portion of the library.
It's easy to imagine this story continuing over the course of the next console generation. Fortnite is a true platform-agnostic hit, and it won't be the last: publishers are eager to sell their games to as many people as possible, and that means further eroding distinctions not just between Xbox and PlayStation but between consoles, PC and mobile even as streaming claims it can make hardware platforms totally irrelevant.

---

The author seems to frame this as "Microsoft will eliminate the console wars by making consoles irrelevant". He cites how Microsoft has pushed Xbox Live services to several mobile games now, as well as through Cuphead and Minecraft on non-Xbox platforms.

These tea leaves read a bit differently to me: doesn't this imply that Microsoft will begin putting more of their games on PS4 / Switch / etc?

distinguished mostly by platform-level services and an array of exclusive games that don't ultimately make up a huge portion of the library

A bit of bias there. The platform-level services are almost identical. I would say that the controller is more divisive amongst players than how XBL or PSN operates.

On top of that, exclusives make up a large portion of the library for Sony. Yes, numerically there will always be more multi-plats than exclusives, but Sony is a platform of exclusives first, then somewhere to play multiplats. Whereas, IMO, Xbox is where you play multiplats first and then exclusives.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the article but it seems to try and play down the value of exclusives?

Stuart360

A bit of bias there. The platform-level services are almost identical. I would say that the controller is more divisive amongst players than how XBL or PSN operates.

On top of that, exclusives make up a large portion of the library for Sony. Yes, numerically there will always be more multi-plats than exclusives, but Sony is a platform of exclusives first, then somewhere to play multiplats. Whereas, IMO, Xbox is where you play multiplats first and then exclusives.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the article but it seems to try and play down the value of exclusives?
Telling the truth isnt downplaying anything. Exclusives are a small percentage of all the games released, even on PS4 . Thats why tiresome memes like 'Xbox haz teh no games' is so stupid when it literally has hundreds.

Also we have known about this for ages. Xbox on the Xbox console, Xbox on PC, and eventually Xbox on mobile. This is just the mobile part starting.

Last edited:
Telling the truth isnt downplaying anything. Exclusives are a small percentage of all the games released, even on PS4 . Thats why tiresome memes like 'Xbox haz teh no games' is so stupid when it literally has hundreds.

Also we have known about this for ages. Xbox on the Xbox console, Xbox on PC, and eventually Xbox on mobile. This is just the mobile part starting.

Exclusives are a small percentage numerically, but they have a higher weighting factor than multi-plats. It's a bit of a strange way that the article has defended it. This isn't a Sony VS MS thing, as each console has exclusives that suit each persons' unique tastes.

I would wager that 1 exclusive is worth 10-15 'better' multiplats, if everything was equal.

Who cares what Xbox do

Im sticking with PS and most people are agree

people are slowly abandoning xbox brand

Microsoft need to keep up competition for Sony. They did fuck all with the PS2 after the Dreamcast died and Sony only picked up the pace after the OG Xbox hit the market.

If Microsoft become a wet lettuce then another company will step in, but there will be no incentive for Sony to keep pushing themselves if they dominate ala PS2 again.

Stuart360

Exclusives are a small percentage numerically, but they have a higher weighting factor than multi-plats. It's a bit of a strange way that the article has defended it. This isn't a Sony VS MS thing, as each console has exclusives that suit each persons' unique tastes.

I would wager that 1 exclusive is worth 10-15 'better' multiplats, if everything was equal.
In what way?, that exclusive could be the best game ever and i think i'd rather have 15 good solid AAA multiplatform games.

In what way?, that exclusive could be the best game ever and i think i'd rather have 15 good solid AAA multiplatform games.

Like, if you loved Halo and you had a choice of amazing multi-plats on the PS4 or terrible multi-plats + Halo on the xbox. How many Multi-plats would you sacrifice in order to play Halo? If you can see what I'm getting at. Exclusives make up a smaller part of the library, but hold the biggest sway when it comes to platform of choice.

Maybe Nintendo would be a better example?

Stuart360

Klayzer

Multiplatform games are on everything, what makes gamers pick a system over another is their exclusive library. Features, power, and online services are important also.

For example: If every platform was equal in power a gamers preference for certain exclusives would push them to that platform. Also tell Nintendo that exclusives are only a small part of the equation.

Stuart360

Like, if you loved Halo and you had a choice of amazing multi-plats on the PS4 or terrible multi-plats + Halo on the xbox. How many Multi-plats would you sacrifice in order to play Halo? If you can see what I'm getting at. Exclusives make up a smaller part of the library, but hold the biggest sway when it comes to platform of choice.

Well Nintendo are a bit different because they always have poor multiplatform game support. Also people used to say last gen that the success of 360 shows that exclusves dont matter and which console plays multiplatofrm games the best is what counts. Its swicthed this gen, but even this gen, all the 'exclusives' talk only started happening when rumours of the X strted 4 years ago or so, before that is was all about the power.

Well Nintendo are a bit different because they always have poor multiplatform game support. Also people used to say last gen that the success of 360 shows that exclusves dont matter and which console plays multiplatofrm games the best is what counts. Its swicthed this gen, but even this gen, all the 'exclusives' talk only started happening when rumours of the X strted 4 years ago or so, before that is was all about the power.
Maybe to the noobs and general joe public. The two biggest selling points (outside of kids buying the same platform as their friends) is controller and exclusives.

The 360 success was down to the diverse library it had in its' early years, which locked people into the platform and nobody swapped until the end of generation/launch of Kinect (2010). I remember the 360 having an 11 attach rate. By the time multi-plats were comparable (with the PS3 launching late) the gen was already 'over'. It's a shame Microsoft threw it all away by not launching a new console in 2010.

Klayzer

I remember last gen how much Xbox exclusives were selling big numbers. Now all of a sudden they're not that important to the platform, come on. Why in the hell would Microsoft be buying studios if it's not as important as Stu claims. MS coasted on 3rd party games late last gen and they payed for that decision this gen imo.

Stuart360

I remember last gen how much Xbox exclusives were selling big numbers. Now all of a sudden they're not that important to the platform, come on. Why in the hell would Microsoft be buying studios if it's not as important as Stu claims. MS coasted on 3rd party games late last gen and they payed for that decision this gen imo.
Where did i say that?. I was just saying how the rhetoric changes to suit certain sides. Of course exclusives matter.

True. However, I don't think number of exclusives is as important as diversity of exclusives. The fact that Microsoft only have a 'few' exclusive games is bad and that is made worse by the fact the exclusives we have now, are over 3 generations old! (Halo came out on the OG xbox, Gears in the early days of 360) Sony try and bring fresh exclusives to the table or mix up the formula of their popular titles like God of War.

I don't know who is in charge of the software for xbox, but they need to go learn a few lessons from Peter Moore and J Allard.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Where did i say that?. I was just saying how the rhetoric changes to suit certain sides. Of course exclusives matter.

As graphics continue to plateau, exclusives have, and will continue to be, the most important aspect in moving hardware. Microsoft seems to be, like Apple, betting on services.

The Surface line of products are actually high quality.
I was being facetious, Microsoft also put Office on every platform as well as remote desktop among other things. Why would they make consoles irrelevant because they want to spread their library and gaming services? That's like saying they're making their Surface lineup irrelevant because they put their other services on multiple platforms.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I was being facetious, Microsoft also put Office on every platform as well as remote desktop among other things. Why would they make consoles irrelevant because they want to spread their library and gaming services? That's like saying they're making their Surface lineup irrelevant because they put their other services on multiple platforms.
I dont think they are trying to suggest that, they even have this in the piece -

'Microsoft is clearly still making hardware: we'll see the new consoles at E3 this year, and I don't think that we're going to see the end of hardware platforms or local computing in gaming anytime soon.'

What they are saying to me is what we have known for ages now, Xbox isnt just a console anymore, its a service. A service that isnt just limited to a console.

I dont think they are trying to suggest that, they even have this in the piece -

'Microsoft is clearly still making hardware: we'll see the new consoles at E3 this year, and I don't think that we're going to see the end of hardware platforms or local computing in gaming anytime soon.'

What they are saying to me is what we have known for ages now, Xbox isnt just a console anymore, its a service. A service that isnt just limited to a console.
Eh, maybe I jumped the gun there. I'm just used to the insinuation that consoles are going to disappear one day.

Stuart360

Eh, maybe I jumped the gun there. I'm just used to the insinuation that consoles are going to disappear one day.
They are, but not anytime soon imo. I expect at least 2 more generations (including next gen), but they will end at some point and streaming will take over. I feel a bit safer being a PC gamer because so many PC gamers are graphics whores and are more than willing to spend thousands to squeeze that extra bit of juice out of the graphics. Streaming IMO isnt going to work on PC, it wont get the numbers.
In console terms, i think all we can do is delay streaming.

goldenpp72

The Switch is almost nothing but exclusives and indie games the Xbox has. It will have outsold the Xbox probably this year despite a massive headstart, could it be that maybe premium first party exclusive may drive interest to a platform?

Nope.

MayauMiao

It looks to me that Microsoft is planning to end the console war by surrendering itself to Sony / Nintendo.

ms is buying studios because they need exclusive games for the gamingpass

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes sense. MS is a software company at heart, which means big profit margins. Every Xbox console they sell for breakeven just hurts their margins. Looking at MS financial statements, their profit per year is about 30%. Sony loses money half the time lately and if they make profits it's maybe 5%.

MS still needs hardware to promote the brand and services. At some point, if the Xbox brand, Gamepass, Xbox Live on every gadget caught on making tons of money, and MS is making royalty fees and subscription plans from a gazilion devices, I can see MS dumping hardware down the line. But not the right time now.

Sony is different. Even though they have shed some hardware divisions like laptops (and I think something else), their profit margins are a lot lower since they are more heavy in hardware (like that money sapping TV division). So Sony's expectations are lower. Sony is happy to sell PS4 consoles and games because the profits from this division are the best or one of the best at the company.

At MS, gaming is probably the worst performing division.

Last edited:

mejin

quiet plan my ass, they are screaming at every single opportunity they have.

if MS is quiet I wonder where that puts Sony LMAO

PocoJoe

Banned
Who cares what Xbox do

Im sticking with PS..some other perhaps preffered Nintendo and im sure most people agree

people are slowly abandoning the xbox brand

Same. Xbox offers shitty IPs and bad controller.

Gamers vote with their wallets, that is why stores sell 70-90% of PS4 games here and rest are for switch/xbox.

I even got switch rather than xbox, just to play zelda+xenoblade

MilkyJoe

You are absolutely right rhetoric does change to suit certain sides.

This 10 million fucking times.

Same. Xbox offers shitty IPs and bad controller.

Gamers vote with their wallets, that is why stores sell 70-90% of PS4 games here and rest are for switch/xbox.

I even got switch rather than xbox, just to play zelda+xenoblade

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

tenor.gif

Last edited:
They can do or say what they want. Market has spoken and the trend will hardly change, unless sony fucks up really bad or they offer free blowjobs with their next console.

Last edited:

Diddy X

It seems to me like consoles have never been big enough to make a big impact on Microsoft's strategy, it has always been more a way of getting into the living rooms and introducing their brand and products which ofcourse had they dominated sales it would have been more important to them. They have tried but never really got the success they wished.

I just don't buy into the idea that MS is done competing. Everyone continues to use this gen as evidence that the Xbox is flailing and MS doesn't know how to put out good games. But youd have to completely ignore the OG Xbox and 360, both of which had a lot of good games. MS did fall flat on its face with the Xbox this gen for a lot of different reasons, but the company is more than capable of rebounding next gen, and I think they will.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The overal feeling inside MS offices has been that Xbox as a brand succeeded. It’s primary mission was to relaunch MS as a consumer device company, not just a software company. It did it’s job and helped move the MS name from “ibm” to closer to “Apple”. It’s what they wanted and they succeeded at it.

The continuation of Xbox night as well be consider a Marketing expenditure.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m cool with it.

Microsoft is ahead of the curve on this with gamespass and windows compatibility with a single purchase.

I’d like for them to keep making hardware in addition to providing a digital distribution storefront. The x is an impressive piece of hardware, only reason i didn’t make it my primary gaming machine is because most of my mp buddies for the big online games are on PS4 this gen.

I think the brand is in a good spot again. They just need the exclusive software. BC 4k updates helps a lot but you still need new stuff.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

I mean this gen is a lost for sure, next gen, unless they bring a nice variety of IP then they will lose again to Sony, I’m sorry to say Microsoft but people like wars, you got Samsung vs Apple in the phone space. Anyways this is pretty cool if Nintendo used xbl for their own games mannnn online would be much better.

cHaOs667

They wouldn't do this if they had won the gen.
They already started this transition when they introduced their Windows Phone system. Games from Rovio, Square Enix etc. used XBox live to power the mobile experience - from Achievements to friends lists.

Top Bottom