• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Allard

So who is this Mulder guy? R or D?

He was head of the FBI from 2001 to 2013, he was the director before Comey. He got asked to stay for 2 extra years before Comey ended up becoming the FBI director while under Obama. He has a unanimus passage through Senate confirmation 98-0. Unless he has some twisted ties after he left he seems like about as good a pick as you can find for this job. He and Comey both were involved in opposition to the Ashcroft/Gonzalez fiasco in the Bush years and were on the same page.

Nokterian

shit-just-got-real-o0puft.gif

kirblar

Who appointed him? I honestly don't know but I thought special counsel was something the R's were trying to avoid....or is that a special investigator or prosecutor?
Rosenstein. He had that secret meeting w/ Burr/Warner, this is likely what it was about.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Thank god.

On one hand, Trump shouldn't be president as he's a fucking loon at best.

On the other hand, watching people howl and screech if this turns up nothing will be entertaining.

I'm kinda torn here...
Holy shit, this is the worst "both sides" ever.

On the other hand, watching people howl and screech if this turns up nothing will be entertaining.

I'm kinda torn here...

But watching people howl and screech as he does turn up the heat won't be entertaining?
I see you.

Tamanon

Banned
Keep in mind, he's a pretty honorable guy. After the court found the warrantless wiretappings unconstitutional, he threatened to quit if the White House went against that.

I love the choice personally.

Tovarisc

...investigation.

He will be able to file charges.

Breaking on NBC news

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/864963742949355522

Some meat to OP,
------

Justice Department to appoint special counsel to take over Russia probe
  • Former FBI director Robert Mueller will be appointed as special counsel to take over the Russia investigation.
  • The appointment was made by Rod Rosenstein, deputy attorney general.
  • The move comes amid concerns about the independence of the investigation.
Bowing to public and Congressional pressure, Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed former FBI Director Bob Mueller on Wednesday to be a special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign, Justice Department officials said.

Mueller will take command of the prosecutors and FBI agents who are working on the far reaching Russia investigation, which spans multiple FBI field offices on both coasts.

Mueller led the FBI for 12 years under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

The FBI, with the help of the Treasury Department, the CIA and other agencies, has been examining evidence of possible contacts, money transfers and business relationships between a variety of President Trump's associates and Russian officials, sources say.

The investigation goes well beyond a possible American connection, to include how Russian intelligence services carried out the campaign of fake news and leaking hacked emails that intelligence officials say was meant to hurt Hillary Clinton and benefit Trump.

The last special counsel was Patrick Fitzgerald, who was tapped in 2003 to investigate the leaking of a CIA operative's name.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/17/just...pecial-counsel-to-take-over-russia-probe.html

Joe

I have no idea if this good enough or not. Will wait for Lawfare's reaction.

Will Comey still be able to release his memos or is that on indefinite hold now until the investigation is over?

Tubie

I can't even imagine how fucking furious Trump is right now lol.

You can bet anything he's been glued to TV watching CNN/MSNBC/Fox non stop.

And this is only getting started.

Some meat to OP.

------

Justice Department to appoint special counsel to take over Russia probe
  • Former FBI director Robert Mueller will be appointed as special counsel to take over the Russia investigation.
  • The appointment was made by Rod Rosenstein, deputy attorney general.
  • The move comes amid concerns about the independence of the investigation.
Bowing to public and Congressional pressure, Deputy U.S. Attorney General Rod Rosenstein appointed former FBI Director Bob Mueller on Wednesday to be a special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 campaign, Justice Department officials said.

Mueller will take command of the prosecutors and FBI agents who are working on the far reaching Russia investigation, which spans multiple FBI field offices on both coasts.

Mueller led the FBI for 12 years under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

The FBI, with the help of the Treasury Department, the CIA and other agencies, has been examining evidence of possible contacts, money transfers and business relationships between a variety of President Trump's associates and Russian officials, sources say.

The investigation goes well beyond a possible American connection, to include how Russian intelligence services carried out the campaign of fake news and leaking hacked emails that intelligence officials say was meant to hurt Hillary Clinton and benefit Trump.

The last special counsel was Patrick Fitzgerald, who was tapped in 2003 to investigate the leaking of a CIA operative's name.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/17/just...pecial-counsel-to-take-over-russia-probe.html
Thanks! I'll add

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Perhaps there might be some good left.

However, if this ends up going nowhere... Ugh.

I'm kinda torn here...

Keep riding that both sides train.

Top Bottom