• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

Lundren

Banned
On one hand, Trump shouldn't be president as he's a fucking loon at best.

On the other hand, watching people howl and screech if this turns up nothing will be entertaining.

I'm kinda torn here...

On one hand, both sides are the same.

On the other hand, hoping that nothing comes of stuff like this shows your true colors.

I'm not torn at all.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What exactly is "special counsel"? I assume this is some sort of leadership role to a committee charged with investigating Trump/Russia. Is this a real win in the movement of discovering the truth?

EDIT: ok, i see there is more info then just the original tweet. nm

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
He was head of the FBI from 2001 to 2013, he was the director before Comey. He got asked to stay for 2 extra years before Comey ended up becoming the FBI director while under Obama. He has a unanimus passage through Senate confirmation 98-0. Unless he has some twisted ties after he left he seems like about as good a pick as you can find for this job. He and Comey both were involved in opposition to the Ashcroft/Gonzalez fiasco in the Bush years and were on the same page.

So basically they got the best guy besides Comey to do the job because he is as qualified as Comey was. Also he has ties to the FBI which means he can tap into their case smoothly

Joe

Editor at Lawfare:

26q9stt.png

I can live with Mueller overseeing this thing. He was appointed by Bush and if I'm not mistaken was involved in the Comey/Gonzales/Bush torture stuff (maybe it was warrantless surveillance) Either way as a Democrat I can see him giving all this shit a fair shake.

The problem with this route is it might be too focused and may be too lengthy and may shut off public awareness of what is going on. And I don't know if the bounds are correct for what has occurred.

Like right NOW we have obstruction of justice and if this guy starts way back in 2016 with "so tell me about these Russian social media accounta" it may take a year before the meat of the matter is reached.

Squire

Banned
He was head of the FBI from 2001 to 2013, he was the director before Comey. He got asked to stay for 2 extra years before Comey ended up becoming the FBI director while under Obama. He has a unanimus passage through Senate confirmation 98-0. Unless he has some twisted ties after he left he seems like about as good a pick as you can find for this job. He and Comey both were involved in opposition to the Ashcroft/Gonzalez fiasco in the Bush years and were on the same page.

Trump is fucked.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, reading up on him, this is a good pick and could have been a lot worse. Hell, even Obama asked him to serve 2 more years after he served 10 already.

Da-Kid

Still wondering how the fuck it's possible we have a President that's UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR TREASONOUS ACTS.

Tovarisc

Flynn, Manafort Are Key Figures In Russia Probe Mueller Will Lead

Former Trump aides Michael Flynn and Paul Manafort have emerged as key figures in the FBI's investigation into Russian campaign interference, which has just been taken over by a special counsel, four law enforcement officials told NBC News.

Officials say multiple grand jury subpoenas and records requests have been issued in connection with the two men during the past six months in the ongoing probe into whether the Trump campaign colluded with Russia attempts to influence the election, an inquiry that will now be overseen by former FBI Director Robert Mueller.

The FBI, with the help of the Treasury Department, the CIA and other agencies, is examining evidence of possible contacts, money transfers and business relationships between a variety of Trump associates and Russian officials, the sources say. The investigation goes well beyond Flynn, Manafort and a possible American connection, to include how Russian intelligence services carried out the campaign of fake news and leaking hacked emails that intelligence officials say was meant to hurt Hillary Clinton and benefit Donald Trump.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...igures-russia-probe-mueller-will-lead-n761256

If you want to know how bad this is for Trump read up on the Mueller, Comey, Ashcroft saga involving the revelation of warranties wiretaps under W.

This is all kinds of bad for Trump.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is Robert Mueller an ok dude? Meaning is he independent enough to go where the facts lead?

Don't know alot, but it reads he was appointed unanimously 98-0 back in 2001, and before 9/11 happened, so there probably wasn't some sort of "National pride" thing going on. He and Comey both seemed to offer their resignations when overruled with the spy program

offered to resign from office in March 2004 if the White House overruled a Department of Justice finding that domestic wiretapping without a court warrant was unconstitutional

So, seems to be alot of connections between the 2. Obama also extended his term passed the 10 years.

CNN is saying Mueller is respected by both sides. That sounds promising, but at the same time we've heard them say the same thing about H.R. McMaster, McCain, etc.

Top Bottom