• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

DAD7jGgXUAA4TNa.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

The MSM keeps dropping receipts on the GOP

https://twitter.com/WesleyLowery/status/864968011693903873

Shoeless

Will Trump supporters actually believe this is happening, or is this considered fake news, and there's actually no special investigation going on, since the mainstream media is reporting this and not real news outlets like Infowars?

Allard

I have no idea if this good enough or not. Will wait for Lawfare's reaction.

Will Comey still be able to release his memos or is that on indefinite hold now until the investigation is over?

Congress can subpoena the memos and they have already asked to see them as part of their investigation. Let me put it this way, if he gets no interference and is NOT a lackey of the Trump/Russia/GOP complex (which given his history I don't think he is) he will have authority to issue arrest warrants and circumvent Sessions to do so. As long as Trump cannot pressure Rosenstein to fire him he will be able do his job unheeded. Literally we are now phase 3 of watergate scandal if you excuse the reason why we got here. The special counsel and prosecutor and trying to get rid of him is literally what ended up getting Nixon nearly impeached. Trump can fire Rosenstein, but he can't fire the special counsel unless he finds someone who is above that authority to do so in the DoJ which can only come from Sessions or the next deputy that has to get through confirmation hearings. Sessions without him coming under fire obstruction of justice because he is supposed to be recused from this investigation.

Edit: I knew this news would spread fast but damn this thread is moving fast.

kirblar

CNN is saying Mueller is respected by both sides. That sounds promising, but at the same time we've heard them say the same thing about H.R. McMaster, McCain, etc.
It's turning out that the big issue w/ McMaster is that his background wasn't Intelligence and he couldn't turn down the position. So he's respected for other areas of expertise, but is not really equipped for his actual posiiton experience-wise.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
BTW those twitter cranks have been sayin Ryan is going down for a while...Mensch said Hatch has been getting security briefings 🤔

Oh just for my clarification as I just thought of it.

He is taking over the Russia investigation.

This doesn't (directly) have to do with the Comey memo situation, correct?

So does that mean that the rumors of Trump lying about Rosenstein's recommendation are true and we can actually trust Rosenstein?

What rumors, the memo was obviously written as a pretext.

This is Rosenstein saving his own ass.

Can you even imagine what it must be like over at the DOJ right now? Everybody's gotta be on edge. Sessions is in charge, but will potentially be wrapped up in this Russia probe. Rosenstein, who works under Sessions, gets thrown under the bus by Trump on the Comey thing, then appoints Mueller to investigate Trump and, in effect, Sessions as well.

THIS IS NUTS.

Joe

Congress can subpoena the memos and they have already asked to see them as part of their investigation. Let me put it this way, if he gets no interference and is NOT a lackey of the Trump/Russia/GOP complex (which given his history I don't think he is) he will have authority to issue arrest warrants and circumvent Sessions to do so. As long as Trump cannot pressure Rosenstein to fire him he will be able do his job unheeded. Literally we are now phase 3 of watergate scandal if you excuse the reason why we got here. The special counsel and prosecutor and trying to get rid of him is literally what ended up getting Nixon nearly impeached. Trump can fire Rosenstein, but he can't fire the special counsel unless he finds someone who is above that authority to do so in the DoJ which can only come from Sessions or the next deputy that has to get through confirmation hearings. Sessions without him coming under fire obstruction of justice because he is supposed to be recused from this investigation.

Edit: I knew this news would spread fast but damn this thread is moving fast.

Thanks for this post.

Do you happen to know if Mueller will be reporting to Rosenstein instead of Sessions (since he is "recused")?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
House of Cards and Game of Thrones are gonna be boring compared to this.

This is when the rats start jumping off the ship.

It's turning out that the big issue w/ McMaster is that his background wasn't Intelligence and he couldn't turn down the position. So he's respected for other areas of expertise, but is not really equipped for his actual posiiton experience-wise.

I understand that he was in a tough spot, but he made it worse by going out there and stumping for Trump the way he did.

SomTervo

Best bit:

The investigation goes well beyond a possible American connection, to include how Russian intelligence services carried out the campaign of fake news and leaking hacked emails that intelligence officials say was meant to hurt Hillary Clinton and benefit Trump.

Can trump fire a special council?

Sessions can do it. So basically yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_prosecutor

The current special counsel regulations specify that:[5]

The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.​

That's what Nixon did. Trump already played his "fire the guy investigating you" card though.

Roughly. Nixon fired his AGs until one would fire the prosecutor.

Unlike the independent counsel law, however, the current special counsel regulations were promulgated by the Justice Department and have no underlying statutory basis. Thus their force to constrain the attorney general is uncertain.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
If Ryan is complicit, let's brush up on

No. Office Current officer
1 Vice President Mike Pence (R)
2 Speaker of the House of Representatives Paul Ryan (R)
3 President pro tempore of the Senate Orrin Hatch (R)
4 Secretary of State Rex Tillerson (R)
5 Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin (R)
6 Secretary of Defense James Mattis (I)

huh

Top Bottom