• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Square Enix exec on why Final Fantasy sales don’t meet expectations and chances of recouping insane AAA budgets

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I’m still of the opinion that games (like a lot of things) are pricing themselves out of existence.

They would make more sales and in turn more money if they lowered the cost of buying games.
Which makes all of the "Tons of devs are using AI to help streamline development and lower costs" articles make complete sense.

It's also why Unreal has been working their asses off and releasing new versions faster than they ever have before because they're trying to help streamline game development too.

They want to keep the quality but lower the costs.

bitbydeath

Which makes all of the "Tons of devs are using AI to help streamline development and lower costs" articles make complete sense.

It's also why Unreal has been working their asses off and releasing new versions faster than they ever have before because they're trying to help streamline game development too.

They want to keep the quality but lower the costs.
Software isn’t physical, it doesn’t cost more to sell two items as opposed to one item.

They could price games at $40, and sell 2x-5x times as many copies, earning millions more dollars in the process.

Software isn’t physical, it doesn’t cost more to sell two items as opposed to one item.

They could price games at $40, and sell 2x-5x times as many copies, earning millions more dollars in the process.
I agree with this, but unfortunately there are still games coming out as physical, and FF16/FF7R are two of them.

Pricing digital 20 dollars below would just drive a stake into the heart of physical much faster. And the physical fans won't like that lol.

These devs are boxed into a corner.

What a completely stupid and false thing to say:

“Navok noted that if a game costs $100 million to make over five years, it has to beat what the company could have returned investing a similar amount in the stock market over the same period. “For the 5 years prior to Feb 2024, the stock market averaged a rate of return of 14.5%. Investing that $100m in the stock market would net you a return of $201m, so this is our ROI baseline,” he explained.”

Gp1

"Sales expectations generally come from a need to cover the cost of development plus return on
investment."

WTF, so your expectations are unrealistic high because someone allocated an unrealistic high budget based on unrealistic sales prediction?
What came first the egg or the chicken? :D

So your solution is reduce the fucking cost or reduce what you expect on ROE, because your game sales expectations are wrong.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I’m still of the opinion that games (like a lot of things) are pricing themselves out of existence.

They would make more sales and in turn more money if they lowered the cost of buying games.
Governments would be doing business a huge favor (and themselves with tax money) by raising wages with inflation.

If people have more money then they will spend more of it. On video games, etc.

But no. Government makes a wage that even with working full time, people can't afford any apartment to live at.

It's happening in New York. People working minimum wage can't afford any apartment in the whole city.

I'm disabled and unable to work. But this pisses me off.

Doom85

That makes no sense. If the price is an issue for an individual consumer, they’ll likely just grab it when it’s on sale for around $40. So why lower the price for the launch release, that just means they’re making even less profit. And as was said before me, some games only attract so large an audience regardless of price.

unfortunately there are still games coming out as physical

“unfortunately“?

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Disappointed King Of The Hill GIF

Portugeezer

Gold Member

“Navok noted that if a game costs $100 million to make over five years, it has to beat what the company could have returned investing a similar amount in the stock market over the same period. “For the 5 years prior to Feb 2024, the stock market averaged a rate of return of 14.5%. Investing that $100m in the stock market would net you a return of $201m, so this is our ROI baseline,” he explained.”
He makes it seem like free money, just invest $100m get $200m but ignores that there are no guarantees.

bitbydeath

Governments would be doing business a huge favor (and themselves with tax money) by raising wages with inflation.

If people have more money then they will spend more of it. On video games, etc.

But no. Government makes a wage that even with working full time, people can't afford any apartment to live at.

It's happening in New York. People working minimum wage can't afford any apartment in the whole city.

I'm disabled and unable to work. But this pisses me off.
Slightly off-topic but Sony has recently called this out when it comes to movie prices as well.
Cinema is dying because they are pricing themselves out of business.

bitbydeath

That makes no sense. If the price is an issue for an individual consumer, they’ll likely just grab it when it’s on sale for around $40. So why lower the price for the launch release, that just means they’re making even less profit. And as was said before me, some games only attract so large an audience regardless of price.
Launching at $40 is different to waiting for a sale at $40.

How often has it gotten to that price and your like, well I waited this long -

A. I’m no longer interested
B. I may as well wait for $20 or lower.

He's saying it because these companies don't determine their future moves by lifetime sales. They instead determine them within a generous 6-9 months max. At worst, 1 week to 1 month. If something bombs in that first month, there's a higher likelihood you won't be seeing it again or for a very very long time, even if it sold well on lifetime.

Edit: And before anyone pulls up that rare game that got a sequel as a counterpoint, my point is that it's the situation itself that would not be the norm in the first place.
“unfortunately“?
I know you're joking lol, but I meant unfortunately because they are boxed into the corner of always launching at full price or launching at a lower price with a ton of DLC, which invalidates a disc. It's a damned if you do damned if you don't.

Last edited:

Doom85

How often has it gotten to that price and your like, well I waited this long -

A. I’m no longer interested
B. I may as well wait for $20 or lower.

adventure time GIF

Look, you can be honest here. You just want games to be $40 purely for your own benefit regardless if that would cause some games to fail to make a profit.

0rzC8tJ.gif

He makes it seem like free money, just invest $100m get $200m but ignores that there are no guarantees.

Yep. And 14% returns over a short time period is not only higher than average, but completely speculative.

That 14% annualized market return in a few years is nothing but noise and highly correlated to the macro economy and Fed policy more then it does with any company fundamentals

Last edited:

Doom85

He's saying it because these companies don't determine their future moves by lifetime sales. They instead determine them within a generous 6-9 months max. At worst, 1 week to 1 month. If something bombs in that first month, there's a higher likelihood you won't be seeing it again or for a very very long time, even if it sold well on lifetime.

Yes, but by cutting the price by almost half, those sales expectations go WAY up. And not even established IPs necessarily can just attract enough new buyers to justify that. This just seems like an unnecessary gamble that has no reason for it to happen other than, “nah come on, those buyers will show up, trust us!”

I know I would buy a ton more games at $40, it doesn’t even have to be $40 but the current $70 is not sustainable.

I am honestly shocked it took games as long as it did to reach $70. $60 was the standard launch MSRP in the US for a long, LONG time. Anyone who thought that was going to last forever was kidding themselves.

feynoob

Gold Member
"Sales expectations generally come from a need to cover the cost of development plus return on
investment."

WTF, so your expectations are unrealistic high because someone allocated an unrealistic high budget based on unrealistic sales prediction?
What came first the egg or the chicken? :D

So your solution is reduce the fucking cost or reduce what you expect on ROE, because your games your sales expectations are wrong.
You cant reduce ROE. Because you need the game to be profitable.

The actual problem is the budget of the game is balooning too much. We arent in a 100m budget these days.

Ghost of tusushima had around 100m budget. The sequal budget will now be higher than that, due to high salary, increase of marketing cost and the technology used to make the game. The higher the dev count, the more money you will have to spend.

This is making a very generous assumption that lowering MSRP to $40 will actually lead to 2x sales.
The reality is that game prices need to and will go up. This is why the latest Assassin's Creed is $130 for the "Everything Included" Edition

People piss away hundreds and thousands of dollars on the live service games, revenue from buy-to-play games absolutely needs to catch up and raising prices is pretty much the only option left. It's going to happen one way or another

Crayon

The problem isn't that new gamers aren't being born, the problem is the new gamers only play Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft, Genshin Impact, etc.

They aren't playing FF and Square Enix and also other traditional AAA console/PC game makers have a serious problem because of this

That's what I'm saying. The kids are coming up on different stuff. They heyday of FF when anyone off the street knew about and wanted it was 6-10.

Raven117

Gold Member

Tell me you don’t know anything about project management and finance without telling me you don’t know anything about project management or finance.

Hero_Select

A lot of the points he brings up are sound and I don't necessarily disagree with him but..

There's a lot of ways these companies can cut costs by maybe just not making dumb choices and chasing trends.

The amount of money companies spend on marketing now is insane. You really don't need an A list celebrity in your commercial or worse.. streaming your game when they've clearly never picked up a controller. You don't need to pay Ninja to play a game on stream for you, his audience won't care in most cases.

You don't need Superbowl ads, you don't need time square ads. You definitely don't need tv ads. Noone watches tv anymore.

Idk. I presented it as fact but I really don't know.

Nintendo sure does look to be in a really good place right now though. Of course it affects them too but not having to worry about going to Iceland to take up close pictures of rocks and dirt because your game needs to look like the best thing ever as a selling point must be nice.

Last edited:

Doom85

Doesn’t make it the right move. Just means less people will buy their games. $40 is worth more than $0.

So they should just pretend inflation isn’t a thing? What sense does it make that everything goes up in price but video games just stay the same? Or in your opinion, actually lower far more? Do you know how the economy works? When the demand is high, cost is high. The video game industry has become massive in the last few decades, they would be defying all business sense to universally slash all their prices by almost half right now.

And no, I’m sorry, I don’t believe sales will just practically double if the price launches at $40. You can be that overly optimistic about it if you want to, but don’t be shocked if people, including the game companies themselves, might need some actual hard evidence before swallowing such a pill.

feynoob

Gold Member
The reality is that game prices need to and will go up. This is why the latest Assassin's Creed is $130 for the "Everything Included" Edition

People piss away hundreds and thousands of dollars on the live service games, revenue from buy-to-play games absolutely needs to catch up and raising prices is pretty much the only option left. It's going to happen one way or another
The real reality is those games go on sale after half a year.

This is mirage costing 24.99 on epic sales.

feynoob

Gold Member

Suit people are doing business these days. Just look at how Sony is trying to make their stock look good.

The reality is that those invesment would help the company in other ways. So they have to get that money back and more.

bitbydeath

So they should just pretend inflation isn’t a thing? What sense does it make that everything goes up in price but video games just stay the same? Or in your opinion, actually lower far more? Do you know how the economy works? When the demand is high, cost is high. The video game industry has become massive in the last few decades, they would be defying all business sense to universally slash all their prices by almost half right now.

And no, I’m sorry, I don’t believe sales will just practically double if the price launches at $40. You can be that overly optimistic about it if you want to, but don’t be shocked if people, including the game companies themselves, might need some actual hard evidence before swallowing such a pill.
Everything shouldn’t go up in price.
I posted earlier about this already having been called out for movies, and by Sony no less. A day wouldn’t go by without someone mentioning the current state of housing.

You can only bend something so far before it breaks.

Last edited:
Tell me you don’t know anything about project management and finance without telling me you don’t know anything about project management or finance.

Tell me you don’t know anything about project management finance while pretending to claim to know anything about project management finance.

Each company has different ROI measures; different industry sector mix, different project risks, anticipated growth rates, and different long term goals.

Setting the hurdle rate based on some metric like ex-post 20/20 hindsight clarity of an arbitrary period of a total market return that was not guaranteed ex-ante is absolutely stupid and lacking any sort of nuance

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I agree with this, but unfortunately there are still games coming out as physical, and FF16/FF7R are two of them.

Pricing digital 20 dollars below would just drive a stake into the heart of physical much faster. And the physical fans won't like that lol.

These devs are boxed into a corner.
Go Away Leave GIF by Martin

Doom85

Everything shouldn’t go up in price.
I posted earlier about this already having been called out for movies, and by Sony no less. A day wouldn’t go by without someone mentioning the current state of housing.

You can only bend something so far before it breaks.

Theater tickets have gone up in price far more and more frequently than video games getting a $10 increase after a massive length of the $60 era. Not a good comparison.

Top Bottom