• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

xrnzaaas

It was pretty fun, and like you said, they need to move to a more modern game with functional crash physics. rFactor 2 works for the other eRaces but for serious esports it doesn't cut it.

I wonder if they will make an official Formula E game.

Forza 6 has all Formula E cars and, geez, the races are soooo boring. I know it's not the greatest example, but even with all the tracks and better physics and collisions (it's bumpmania in Long Beach) it probably won't be exciting.

Mastah

The Beast is coming:

Believing that the advantages of that concept did not outweigh the drawbacks, for 2017 Honda has decided to go down the Mercedes route – which means the compressor being situated at one end of the engine while the turbo is located at the other.

Despite the dimensions of the power unit being slightly larger than before, it is understood that McLaren is still able to package a very tight rear-end to the MP4-32 around the rear.

As well as the packaging change, Honda has been focusing efforts on improving the internal combustion unit element of its package, with it feeling it had made good gains with energy recovery last year.

It is expected that Honda will adopt a multi-jet injector system to spray fuel inside the combustion chamber, similar to the Turbo Jet Ignition system that Ferrari has put to good use.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-set-for-mercedes-style-split-turbine-compressor-864024/

KdotIX

Is it too far fetched to wager that McHonda will finish ahead of Ferrari next season? Alonso, Stoff, new and improved engine and we know that their chassis and aero depts are not lagging behind...

Zaru

Alonso, Stoff, new and improved engine and we know that their chassis and aero depts are not lagging behind...

The drivers matter little when the overall package is now good enough/unreliable, and I say that as someone who thinks the McLaren drivers will look fantastic.

The best McLaren can hope for at the moment is a 2012 situation - fast but unreliable. And that's optimistic.

KdotIX

The drivers matter little when the overall package is now good enough/unreliable.

I would say that's a fair point for most of the drivers on the grid. But we've seen Alonso drag around uncompetitive cars around before in his career to podium positions. Maybe with McLaren edging closer towards the mid-field, he could do the same in the upcoming season. He is also fairly consistent. No doubt it would be a welcome change if it were to happen.

Mastah

Is it too far fetched to wager that McHonda will finish ahead of Ferrari next season? Alonso, Stoff, new and improved engine and we know that their chassis and aero depts are not lagging behind...

I wouldn't say it's impossible, because with all changes - aero, mechanical and engine-wise - everything is possible, but it will be quite difficult. I think Fred-Stof combination is better than Ferrari pair (as I think Max-Dan duo was the main factor in beating Ferrari last year), but there are so many things, which will have impact on final results. Will Honda deliver engines reliable enough to finish season with only 4 units, without any penalties? Can McLaren still deliver strategies to punish Ferrari for their mistakes, as Red Bull did in 2016? Can they overcome 1-1.2s deficit to Ferrari with 2017 rules?

I don't remember a single year when Alonso did that (or any drivers for that matter - outside of maybe super crazy races).

1997 or 2012 to name two.

The Beast is coming:

Despite the dimensions of the power unit being slightly larger than before

Motor/Autosport making stuff up again?

They say it'll be larger but Honda just days ago said The Beast's volume / footprint will be significantly smaller than last year's PU.

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/76425?all

2017 PU smaller, more powerful, more efficient
running heavily on dynos for months
recruited engineers from the other PU manufacturers
researched and trialled all combustion technologies that have been talked about throughout last season

Can't wait for Australia

I don't think Mclaren will catch up so fast to the top teams, even with Ferrari being in development hell and i think to be a certainty that Red Bull will be consistently ahead of Ferrari next season. I do expect Mclaren to be contending for 4-5th spot maybe getting stronger by season end

The drivers matter little when the overall package is now good enough/unreliable, and I say that as someone who thinks the McLaren drivers will look fantastic.

The best McLaren can hope for at the moment is a 2012 situation - fast but unreliable. And that's optimistic.
What if it's another 2009 situation for them?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
What are your opinions on rolling starts in open-wheel race cars? I was watching some old A1GP (what a weird series that was) races, and they seem to do it a more organized fashion than in America.

Tubie

I think their realistic goal should be to get both drivers into Q3 consistently.

And with Ferrari you never know the level of fuckery going on with them offseason, so who knows. Maybe this is the year they finally get things right and win again
lol.

Chris R

So, that track is certainly the most interesting looking Formula-E track I've seen yet.

Was the racing good at least?

As for rolling starts, I'm fine with them after seeing IndyCar fuck up standing starts ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgrKI2z6moA for example ) They don't do it every single race, so they don't have the practice of getting away without stalling, but even then we see stalls sometimes on F1 tracks.

Zaru

God for Lowe, good for Williams, good for us if the Mercedes dream team is cracking.

What are your opinions on rolling starts in open-wheel race cars? I was watching some old A1GP (what a weird series that was) races, and they seem to do it a more organized fashion than in America.
Standing starts are the high point of every race for me. Not a fan of the alternative.
I think their realistic goal should be to get both drivers into Q3 consistently.
McLaren turned into a midfield team two years before Honda so they really need to get their shit together on more than just the engine side.

Mastah

David Croft ‏@CroftyF1 10m10 minutes ago

Hearing that Paddy Lowe has left Mercedes F1, not unexpected but a big loss to the team. Some very good people there still to fill the void

Jezbollah

Weird that Williams would strip herself of that title when she could just make Lowe the TD.

Funnily enough, technically Claire Williams is (was?) deputy team principle (the role of team principle was still with Frank). I suspect whatever role Frank has now is what Claire will transfer to in the next few months

You can put the best players in one team but that doesn't guarantee it would be the best team. You need proper leadership and direction

I would say the Mercedes success is all down to the foundation that Ross Brawn has laid down when he rebuilt the team. The structure is there, the processes are there, so it's only a matter of filling in the boxes with the right people

Ferrari can keep hiring and firing as much as they want, but if they don't fix their internal problems they'll never be at the same level of Mercedes and Redbull

Mastah

Tobi Grüner ‏@tgruener 32m32 minutes ago

Mercedes & Red Bull not affected by FIA suspension rule clarification. More on that (in German) in our latest issue of Motorsport aktuell.

C14iiRjXEAIRGWE.jpg:large

Also:

Renault has to step up on every level over the next few years. The noises around the engine are that it has taken a good step and Red Bull hopes that will be enough to let them take on Mercedes.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017...lt-by-mutual-consent-ahead-of-2017-f1-season/

Top Bottom