• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

Mastah

Wait I thought were going back to wider rear wings or that was just speculation?

Yes, we are. It's just a matter of perspective, as 2017 rear wings will be almost the same as before 2009, just 5 centimetres narrower. How it's going to look? More or less like this:

_45304666_mclarenpaffett416.jpg

With rear wing narrower by 5 cms, exactly the same front wing (only much more complex, lol), fatter tyres and wider car by 20 cms.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...at-can-we-expect-from-next-years-rule-changes

DBT85

Also much bigger diffuser (wider, taller and starts much earlier under the car), pointy front wings, wider floor, swept sidepods, bigger bargeboards.

I'm really looking forad to seeing the cars at least. I don't think overtaking will be that improved but they should be so much faster in corners that small mistakes in one corner should punich later corners. Which makes me laugh if only because of all the ridiculous lengths they've gone to over the years to slow them down in corners!

Zaru

I expect the tyres to be an important factor this year. Mainly because I'm almost sure Pirelli will have fucked up SOME aspect of them that teams need to get around on certain tracks.
Not 2012 levels of crazy, but more than in the previous V6 Hybrid years.

Mastah

Also much bigger diffuser (wider, taller and starts much earlier under the car), pointy front wings, wider floor, swept sidepods, bigger bargeboards.

I'm really looking forad to seeing the cars at least. I don't think overtaking will be that improved but they should be so much faster in corners that small mistakes in one corner should punich later corners. Which makes me laugh if only because of all the ridiculous lengths they've gone to over the years to slow them down in corners!

Yeah, but F1 cars are usually shown from front and rear, so that's the view we're interested about ;)

CLU7F5bW8AA6aIX.jpg

I also can't wait. With narrower and much less complex front wings it would be straight back to 1997, the last season I absolutely loved the look of the cars.

Villeneuve_682x400_498681a1256128034.jpg

So good.

DBT85

Yeah. Sadly the front wings are still more complex than those back then.

There has been some speculation as to whether teams will continue trying to use the ends of the wing to force air around the outside of the tyre or maybe direct it inside the tyre because of the changes in widths.

Would be fine with them going back to a system of like 3 elements max for the front wing.

DD

That would be amazing but we all know it will be silver/gray/black/boring.
:c

Yes, we are. It's just a matter of perspective, as 2017 rear wings will be almost the same as before 2009, just 5 centimetres narrower. How it's going to look? More or less like this:

_45304666_mclarenpaffett416.jpg

With rear wing narrower by 5 cms, exactly the same front wing (only much more complex, lol), fatter tyres and wider car by 20 cms.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12...at-can-we-expect-from-next-years-rule-changes

What am I looking at here? A 2010 car with 2008 rear wing?

Mastah

That's 2008 hybrid with 2009 front wing, dubbed MP4-23K. But they've run with wide rear wing until last 2 pre-season tests in 2009, because they were stuggling to understand how aero in these new rules worked.

DD

That's 2008 hybrid with 2009 front wing, dubbed MP4-23K. But they've run with wide rear wing until last 2 pre-season tests in 2009, because they were stuggling to understand how aero in these new rules worked.

Wait, but Button was with Brawn GP back then. That's why I thought it was a 2010 car. o_ô

xrnzaaas

How much will McLaren need to improve to get a proper title sponsor again?

I think this could already happen in 2016, but first they must agree for a midfield team sponsorship deal (and a generous one, because they don't have stable results throughout the entire season).

KdotIX

Zak Brown stated in an interview with Sky Sports that obtaining a title sponsor for 2017 would not be possible but looking more likely in 2018. So perhaps 2017 is a proving grounds for McLaren

Goldrusher

Weren't the cars going to have bargeboards again?

shitty drawing:

edit:

Under the 2017 rules teams will also be able to run much larger bargeboards in front of the car's sidepods and Goss says this is another place where fans will notice an obvious difference in appearance.

”In the 2016 regulations, the scope for bargeboard development was quite small," he continued. ”Now we can run them to the full height of the chassis, they can go a lot further forward and sit wider outboard. We can also stack devices within that area - so you'll see a lot more complication in that area, a little like we saw in previous regulatory eras."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/1/mclaren--2017-cars-will-just-look-meaner.html

Zeknurn

Weren't the cars going to have bargeboards again?

shitty drawing:

edit:

Yes, but teams are keeping them under such lockdown that some of them might run without them for the first test.

@tgruener
Red Bull unsuccessfully tried to find support among teams to ban huge engine cover fins (sails) in yesterdays strategy group meeting. #AMuS

Strategy group agreed to give drivers more freedom in battles on track. Race stewards should only intervene in case of obvious fouls. #AMuS

As expected, Red Bulls attempt to screw over Mercedes by banning shark fins didn't work.

DD

McLaren has often found itself ahead of car launches surrounded by speculation that it would use a radical new livery, although it has often disappointed fans.

There had been talk ahead of its new partnership with Honda in 2015 that it could switch to a red and white design, but in the end it stuck with the traditional chrome and dark grey concept that it had used since 1997.

At the time, McLaren boss Ron Dennis said he saw no reason to change just because fans wanted the car to look better.

"We have had the same [discussions about livery] inside the team: all of these people were saying, why don't we make it orange - because that was the old colour of McLaren?" said Dennis ahead of the 2015 campaign.

"Well, I say, 'you just said it - it was the old colour of McLaren. Why the hell do we want to go backwards?'

"So what do you do? Do you create an aesthetically pleasing design? But for what purpose?

"This is the livery of McLaren. It has always been a combination of these colours - and it will only change for commercial reasons.

"It won't change just to make a few people in the company happier because they want it orange or they want it yellow."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-set-for-big-livery-revamp-for-2017-f1-car-866430/

Wow, Ron! You really are a douchebag, haha!

DD

Ron clearly never heard of nostalgia. Nor has any form of taste apparently.
Heh, before this came up, I thought Ron is superstitious given that the last 2 orange teams didn't do well.
This is the best part:

"So what do you do? Do you create an aesthetically pleasing design? But for what purpose?"

To make your car look interesting to the eye, you moron. You have a brand, you sell road cars, you need sponsors. You need to make cars that look desirable on the TV. :p

Ferrari will IMO always have the exact same "Ferrari red" livery color.

There are some slight tone changes from year to year.

3ff68b25b912e31b0156aff4d5c02e5f.jpg

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Red Bull have signed 17-year old Brit Dan Ticktum and 15-year old American Neil Verhagen to their junior team.

http://www.paddockscout.com/red-bull-adds-ticktum-verhagen-to-junior-team-for-2017/36352

I strongly disagree with Red Bull signing Ticktum. If you haven't heard the story, this is the guy who received a one-year ban from motorsports after overtaking 10 other cars while under the safety car and deliberately crashing into a competitor who he felt caused him to be dropped to the rear of the field after a collision.

Daniel Ticktum gets two-year ban for 'disturbing' MSA Formula clash

In his report court chairman Guy Spollon described how Ticktum, after a first-lap collision with Collard had dropped him to the back of the field, passed 13 yellow flags, four double-yellow flags, two white flags and 15 safety-car boards to catch back up to his rival during the safety-car period.

Ticktum just returned to racing this year. Although some believe he's learned his lesson, I feel strongly that such reckless and dangerous action deserves a lifetime ban.

Zaru

The kid was what, 14? 13? A bit early to cast final judgement on their life.
Though there are plenty of similarly talented drivers without a history of road rage, I guess.

If Neogaf sponsored McLaren Honda.

It hurts because the real livery will probably be a massive disappointment.
Right now the grid is so starved for decent colors that I like the Banana Renault.

DBT85

The kid was what, 14? 13? A bit early to cast final judgement on their life.
Though there are plenty of similarly talented drivers without a history of road rage, I guess.

If a 14 year old who wants to be a star can't control himself and does that, he doesn't deserve a seat. Thus isn't just getting a bit elbows out to defend himself, or even just driving someone straight off the road.

Safety first. Fuck the cunt.

Rolfgang

Red Bull have signed 17-year old Brit Dan Ticktum and 15-year old American Neil Verhagen to their junior team.

http://www.paddockscout.com/red-bull-adds-ticktum-verhagen-to-junior-team-for-2017/36352

I strongly disagree with Red Bull signing Ticktum. If you haven't heard the story, this is the guy who received a one-year ban from motorsports after overtaking 10 other cars while under the safety car and deliberately crashing into a competitor who he felt caused him to be dropped to the rear of the field after a collision.

Daniel Ticktum gets two-year ban for 'disturbing' MSA Formula clash

Ticktum just returned to racing this year. Although some believe he's learned his lesson, I feel strongly that such reckless and dangerous action deserves a lifetime ban.

Jesus Christ, keep that kid off the road!

Aiii

So not worth it
14 year old kid gets punished and learns his lesson. Has to have life ruined. Justice!

He threw a tantrum and did a cuntish thing, he got properly punished and served his time. So now it's what's done is done.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Intentionally crashing your car into another is attempted manslaughter in my book. Not to mention putting any marshals at risk who are out on track cleaning up debris from the cause of the safety car period.

DBT85

14 year old kid gets punished and learns his lesson. Has to have life ruined. Justice!

He threw a tantrum and did a cuntish thing, he got properly punished and served his time. So now it's what's done is done.

His life isn't ruined, which it could easily have been.

He just shouldn't get a shot that lots of people who aren't bellends could have.

Mastah

Thankfully he's not interested in racing on ovals:

Motorsport.com has learned that the Venezuelan is pursuing a road and street course program with the Kevin Kalkhoven/Jimmy Vasser-owned squad, which has scored four wins over the past three seasons with Sebastien Bourdais. However, the 2012 Spanish GP winner is not interested in racing on ovals.

So all is ok in my book. It would be fun to see him in Indycar actually.

Zaru

Are their 2016 cars even gonna make the 107%?

Take Australia 2016, the Manor cars were almost 107% off the pace of the pole time (out in Q1 of course), and next year's cars are gonna drop some more seconds by default...

DBT85

They'll get a bit from the new tyres and they might even be able to run new parts.

Mostly I imagine they want to run the old chassis.

xrnzaaas

Are their 2016 cars even gonna make the 107%?

Take Australia 2016, the Manor cars were almost 107% off the pace of the pole time (out in Q1 of course), and next year's cars are gonna drop some more seconds by default...

They only need their cars to appear on the track in the qualifying. After that they can beg to be in the race and they will get an approval, of course. :)

DieH@rd

Banned
They only need their cars to appear on the track in the qualifying. After that they can beg to be in the race and they will get an approval, of course. :)

If they don't hit 107% in any of the practice or qually sessions, they should not be in the race. End of story.

Top Bottom