• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

sammex

"I was deposed today. Just go away. This is official. I do not run the company anymore. My position has been taken over by Chase Carey. "

"My new position is now such an American expression. A kind of honorary president. I'll get this title without knowing what it means. "

"My days in office are now somewhat calmer. Maybe I'll come to a Grand Prix. I still have a lot of friends in the Formula 1. And I still have enough money to be able to afford a visit to a race. "Whether Ecclestone retains his role in the FIA ​​World Council remains unclear. "I doubt it. I have to talk about it with Jean Todt. "

source

Looks like that's it then.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ross Brawn announcement tomorrow?

There was much to dislike about Bernie, but he saved many teams out of a bind, and people, and settled many arguments. He will be missed in that regard, dearly.

If it was anyone but Brawn (rumored to) taking his place, I'd be more sad.

Anyways, not that he'll read this, but thanks Bernie.

DD

I just wonder when will Liberty media cancel the 'legacy' bonus for Ferrari

This is really interesting to think about. I mean, Ferrari won't just take that and be okay with it. They would certainly quit the sport. Would this be that bad for F1? And where would they go next? For any series in the world, having a Ferrari factory team would be a huge victory. I just can't see Ferrari at the Formula E. WEC seems very unfriendly if you want exposition. They wouldn't move to a series where they can't build their own cars like Indycar. It would be mayhem.

DBT85

This is really interesting to think about. I mean, Ferrari won't just take that and be okay with it. They would certainly quit the sport. Would this be that bad for F1? And where would they go next? For any series in the world, having a Ferrari factory team would be a huge victory. I just can't see Ferrari at the Formula E. WEC seems very unfriendly if you want exposition. They wouldn't move to a series where they can't build their own cars like Indycar. It would be mayhem.

I genuinely don't think they'd go anywhere. They'd huff and puff which is what they have always done.

More likely I think the amount they get will be cut more gradually than just all at once.

DD

I genuinely don't think they'd go anywhere. They'd huff and puff which is what they have always done.

More likely I think the amount they get will be cut more gradually than just all at once.

I think they would try to bring Red Bull and create their own "unrestricted by silly regs" formula. :p

Aiii

So not worth it

Of course they're not going anywhere, they need F1 as much as F1 needs them, probably more so, tbh.

hadareud

The Translator
Until it is officially confirmed I won't believe that the evil little Nazi has actually departed.

And even then we can't be absolutely certain.

I'm expecting there to be an announcement of him signing a new multi year deal any moment now.

Zaru

Even if you get rid of Bernie in an official position, the guy likely still has plenty of unofficial power through all the connections/money/dirt he must have after so many years in power.

tumblr_m1powhRVdz1rqnp16o1_r1_500.gif

hadareud

The Translator
Even if you get rid of Bernie in an official position, the guy likely still has plenty of unofficial power through all the connections/money/dirt he must have after so many years in power.

Definitely. Wouldn't be surprised if he tried to undermine F1 in every possible way if he actually has been fucked off.

Only death can save us from him. And even then I'm not sure.

He's one of history's greatest monsters.

I'm somehow not excited about Bernie's departure. I don't get the feeling that it's going to be all super amazing from here on out. While it's certainly a good thing that he's gone, I'm not sure I've seen enough from Liberty Media to judge them. I imagine them superbowling the sport 5 years from now.

But perhaps that's the cynic in my talking, who knows.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm somehow not excited about Bernie's departure. I don't get the feeling that it's going to be all super amazing from here on out. While it's certainly a good thing that he's gone, I'm not sure I've seen enough from Liberty Media to judge them. I imagine them superbowling the sport 5 years from now.

Bernie is 86, it is time. And with Brawn in charge of sporting/technical and the ESPN guy in charge of media, we are looking at decent odds of getting both a more exciting sport as well as a more accessible sport to watch and enjoy.

I am pretty positive about the whole thing. Is anything for certain? Of course not. But things are shaping up nicely.

hadareud

The Translator

You? Cynical?

That's mental. Don't even ever think that.

Zaru

Those changes will take a while though. For example, a streaming service doesn't spring out of existence in a week, not just on the software/hardware side of things but all the legal/broadcasting rights/exclusivity deal issues that need to be dealt with.
There are contracts still running for years that Liberty won't just break.
Same for everything related to costs (current agreements run until 2020 or so) and grand prix hosting (again, more contracts).

It'll require some patience to really see Liberty change things for better or worse, despite how fast they've dealt with Bernie.

Aiii

So not worth it
Most F1 TV contracts run only a few years. In The Netherlands' case, Liberty also owns the company that owns the F1 TV rights, so that is nice. It might all go quicker than one might think. If not for live streaming, then for the huge library of older stuff.

Most F1 TV contracts run only a few years. In The Netherlands' case, Liberty also owns the company that owns the F1 TV rights, so that is nice. It might all go quicker than one might think. If not for live streaming, then for the huge library of older stuff.

Sky's most recent UK agreement is for 6 years, from 2019.

DBT85

Regarding any contracts, we have no idea which ones cover what rights. Liberty could well offer online only packages that don't scupper current contracts. And there is ALWAYS a way out of a contract.

I'm not sure if I like Ross Brawn running this sport...

Ha, exactly the sme thing came into my head!

Bernie's gone? Ding dong.

Well he'd only be at the top of the technical side, and he wouldn't exist there in perpetuity.

Anyone running the sport that is making decision based on whats best for the sport rather than what's best for their own bank balance has to be better.

I just NEEEEEED some good F1 streaming now that Henno is gone. I will pay! It just had to be at least as good as Henno's streams. Haha.

KdotIX

This is really interesting to think about. I mean, Ferrari won't just take that and be okay with it. They would certainly quit the sport.

Ferrari need exposure (and more importantly wins) from F1 so they are able to build their road cars and keep their brand high market. This is something that's been happening since the days of Enzo. They've had their runs in history in WEC but the exposure just isn't enough.

So if Liberty cancel their $100m annual bonus, they have effectively 2 options. Option 1: Quit the sport and make their own series and convince other manufacturers to join it. This will be tough and would need a mighty investment from them in just getting it going. Even then, they might not get as much exposure as they would in F1. Option 2: take the hit, get their shit together and race. Continue getting the exposure they require to build and sell their road cars and carry on.

Them leaving the sport wouldn't be good for either party.

Aiii

So not worth it
What are Liberty going to do, threaten not to carry the sport they've just purchased? Sky have a contract, they have the negotiating power.

Very smart to burn bridges with someone you need to work with in the future, because "you have a contract" since those last forever and never need to be renegotiated.

Alternatively, you could negotiate to continue getting the TV rights, as well as supply the programming for said streaming service and get a bit of that Liberty F1 money your way well into the future. Saving yourself money and having a positive working relationship with a company you very much have to be in business with for a long time to come.

Top Bottom