• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT2| BUT GRO PER

DD

Ferrari need exposure (and more importantly wins) from F1 so they are able to build their road cars and keep their brand high market. This is something that's been happening since the days of Enzo. They've had their runs in history in WEC but the exposure just isn't enough.

So if Liberty cancel their $100m annual bonus, they have effectively 2 options. Option 1: Quit the sport and make their own series and convince other manufacturers to join it. This will be tough and would need a mighty investment from them in just getting it going. Even then, they might not get as much exposure as they would in F1. Option 2: take the hit, get their shit together and race. Continue getting the exposure they require to build and sell their road cars and carry on.

Them leaving the sport wouldn't be good for either party.

I don't know, Porsche don't seem to need F1 to be just as famous as Ferrari.

xrnzaaas

Yeah I agree. Ferrari needed that exposure more when they were building shitty quality models and when they were selling less cars. Now their products are top quality, their model lineup is big (only SUV is missing ;)) and their sales are rising despite no (big) successes in F1. I'm not saying they're likely to leave F1, but I can see that scenario happening.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bernie is gone for one day...

New Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey has made clear that the British Grand Prix will remain on the calendar, following speculation that it could be dropped after the 2019 season.

In the run-up to Christmas, a leaked letter written by BRDC Chairman John Grant suggested that the organisation is considering whether to exercise a clause in its current contract.

Silverstone's option to drop the event must be activated before the 2017 race.

However, Carey, who has taken over from Bernie Ecclestone as Formula 1's new CEO, says Silverstone's place on the roster is safe, describing western Europe as "the foundation of the sport".

"We will have a British Grand Prix," Carey told BBC Sport.

"The foundation of the sport is western Europe. We want to grow it. There's a negotiating dynamic that exists. But we want a healthy relationship with our promoters.

"We are going to look at ways of making events bigger and better."

Silverstone, which hosted the inaugural Formula 1 race back in 1950, has been the home of the British Grand Prix since 1987, and signed a new deal in 2010, through 2026.

KdotIX

Yeah I agree. Ferrari needed that exposure more when they were building shitty quality models and when they were selling less cars. Now their products are top quality, their model lineup is big (only SUV is missing ;)) and their sales are rising despite no (big) successes in F1. I'm not saying they're likely to leave F1, but I can see that scenario happening.

I guess put into that context that would make sense, so maybe they could pull out knowing their brand is firmly established in the sports/super/hyper car arena and could carry on. I just think that Ferrari is so synonymous with F1 (due to their long history in the sport), that both entities need and rely on each other really.

Zaru

You can't just make Ferrari leave and act like nothing will happen. That 2015 fan survey asking 35,000 people about their preferences showed that Ferrari is the most favorited by far, despite its flaws. The team might not always be performing great, but it has some kind of "emotional appeal" that teams like Mercedes or Red Bull don't. It's a part of the face of the sport.

Hasney

Brawn is in as MD and has said that simplicity is key to F1.

With that and the British GP quote, they're certainly starting on the right foot.

EDIT: Liberty have said:

F1 is a "unique, iconic, global event that is a spectacle second to none"
The sport has not grown in recent years as much as it needed to and Liberty could exploit new technologies to do that
Liberty would protect historic races and sees Europe as the "foundation" of the sport
It would expand, particularly with a view to new events in the US
Liberty wanted to make much more of the promotion of F1 itself, its participants and individual events

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38731760

Aiii

So not worth it
You can't just make Ferrari leave and act like nothing will happen. That 2015 fan survey asking 35,000 people about their preferences showed that Ferrari is the most favorited by far, despite its flaws. The team might not always be performing great, but it has some kind of "emotional appeal" that teams like Mercedes or Red Bull don't. It's a part of the face of the sport.

If you took out the German vote, I wonder what that number would be.

If you took out the German vote, I wonder what that number would be.

I've been to F1 races all over the world, Ferrari's fanbase dwarfs that of any other pretty much everywhere I've been.

(In Germany I'd argue Mercedes aren't that far off though)

KdotIX

Hopefully Singapore will be staying too.

Really want Singapore to stay on the calendar. It's a great track (even if they did take out the Singapore Sling corner) and it's an amazing city. Keeping it could be key to growing the F1 market in the Asia Pacific territories

Really want Singapore to stay on the calendar. It's a great track (even if they did take out the Singapore Sling corner) and it's an amazing city. Keeping it could be key to growing the F1 market in the Asia Pacific territories

This. But every year there are less fans who visit the Singapore GP :(

2015: 87.000
2016: 73.000

DBT85

Both are saying the right things, hopefully they can take the sport in the right direction. Keeping the likes of Spa & Monza on the circuit is big and they seem to really think those are key parts of the the F1 championship, while Bernie just seemed to not really care as long has he got lots of money.

It's not going to change overnight and with all the existing agreements for different things, it might take 3 or 4 years. But I have more hope now for the sport than I've ever had.

I don't think they'll go back to free to air TV, though it would be nice if they did. I suppose it might depend on what the teams and sponsors want, more eyeballs on the action or a LOT less eyeballs and a chunk of change.

At the least some kind of streaming option will become available.

Remember when Bernie didn't see the point in HD? lol

This. But every year there are less fans who visit the Singapore GP :(

2015: 87.000
2016: 73.000

Ticket prices have got to be a part of that, they are ridiculous the world over.

Certainly, whether that "emotional appeal" is worth 100 million euros is the point that needs to be discused

DBT85

Nobody is making Ferrari do anything. I'm not even against them getting something for being in the sport so long.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Ferrari need exposure (and more importantly wins) from F1 so they are able to build their road cars and keep their brand high market. This is something that's been happening since the days of Enzo. They've had their runs in history in WEC but the exposure just isn't enough.

So if Liberty cancel their $100m annual bonus, they have effectively 2 options. Option 1: Quit the sport and make their own series and convince other manufacturers to join it. This will be tough and would need a mighty investment from them in just getting it going. Even then, they might not get as much exposure as they would in F1. Option 2: take the hit, get their shit together and race. Continue getting the exposure they require to build and sell their road cars and carry on.

Them leaving the sport wouldn't be good for either party.
Quitting F1 and having teams create a rival series would benefit no one and would probably destroy the sport. I couldn't bear going through another open-wheel racing split. You would only have to look back 15-20 years to see the potential outcomes.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a29328/the-oral-history-of-the-split/

IndyCar has still not recovered and I think that NASCAR will remain the most popular racing series in America for decades to come.

DBT85

Sign is up in Nice

16298590_1311209938935963_1741523495893179165_n.png

Wait a second...

Jean Todt replaced Max Mosley

Ross Brawn replacing Bernie Ecclestone

Ferrari's second coming is upon us!
/s

Dutch Patriot post if you're still out there :')

DBT85

No penalties unless clear fault is determined in 2017

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/127869/collision-penalty-rules-revised-for-2017

Formula 1 drivers will not receive penalties for collisions in 2017 unless it is absolutely clear who is at fault, the FIA has confirmed.

The manner in which punishments for contact were handed out became increasingly controversial last season.

For example eventual champion Nico Rosberg's time penalty for a light clash with Kimi Raikkonen as they battled at the Malaysian Grand Prix was branded "complete nonsense" by Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff.

There was a growing feeling that such a strict stance was making some drivers less willing to take the risk and go for a pass.

But following discussions in the F1 Commission and World Motor Sport Council last week, it has been agreed that from now on drivers will only face punishment for incidents if they are "wholly" to blame for a crash.

In revisions to the F1 sporting regulations for 2017, the stewards have been told that it will be entirely their choice to decide if they wish to investigate incidents reported to them by F1's race director.

A revised article 38.2 a) states: "It shall be at the discretion of the stewards to decide if any driver involved in an incident should be penalised.

"Unless it is clear to the stewards that a driver was wholly or predominantly to blame for an incident no penalty will be imposed."

Also not mentioned here, previously Stewards would only investigate if requested to. Now they can look at anything they like, even if the race director hasn't deemed it worth looking at.

Wait a second...

Jean Todt replaced Max Mosley

Ross Brawn replacing Bernie Ecclestone

Ferrari's second coming is upon us!
/s

Dutch Patriot post if you're still out there :')

WE DID IT BOYS! WE OFFICIALY MADE IT BIG TIME AGAIN!

GERMAN JESUS WILL RISE! THIS WILL BE THE YEAR!

Zaru

WE DID IT BOYS! WE OFFICIALY MADE IT BIG TIME AGAIN!

GERMAN JESUS WILL RISE! THIS WILL BE THE YEAR!

All odd years since Red Bull were good years for Vettel, while the even ones seemed alright to bad

2009: Rise to contender
2010: Didn't look like the champion until the very last race despite the best car
2011: Domination
2012: Only barely won against Alonso in a soapbox after a tumultous season
2013: Domination
2014: Owned by Riccy
2015: "FERRARI IS BACK", obliterated Kimi
2016: Fell back, looked unimpressive next to Kimi and lost his cool many times

Following this logic, 2017 will be great for him, as hard as it is to believe.

The response today when an F1 luminary was asked privately how Mr E was doing: "He's setting-up a breakaway series". Don't laugh.

https://twitter.com/PeterDWindsor/status/824392372503150592?s=09

I am having a hard time not laughing.
Edit: And then I thought about the threats Ferrari and other top teams will throw around about going to Bernie's series when they will try to take away their prize money bonuses and I started crying. The old man wants to give one last fuck you to the F1 world.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
https://twitter.com/PeterDWindsor/status/824392372503150592?s=09

I am having a hard time not laughing.
Edit: And then I thought about the threats Ferrari and other top teams will throw around about going to Bernie's series when they will try to take away their prize money bonuses and I started crying. The old man wants to give one last fuck you to the F1 world.
Please no, I've already lived through one split. I don't want to suffer through another 10 years of that again.

DBT85

We can laugh all we want, but sad reality is that independent Bernie could way more easily bring glory days of F1 [big, oldschool and insanely lud V10, refuelling and non-bloated race calendar] back to tracks than FIA can. Not only that, he could probably negotiate good TV coverage.

I would so watch that!

And who is going to join in this merry band of nostalgia? Who can afford to, and who would want to? Even if you go with nice "simple" v10 engines, if you are going to free up development then costs are going to be huge.

And who will go to the races which will be expensive to host, because Bernie.

Independent Bernie is the same idiot that wanted double points, that wanted that utter mess that was qualifying at the start of last year.

In addition, he's 400 years old and you don't make a racing series overnight. Even if by some miracle it starts in 2018, he's going to be one step closer to trying to buy Deaths image rights.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have v12 engines at 20k and nice free rules to make crazy shit. But it won't happen.

I can see the next engine rule change heading back to NA though, maybe with kers.

Aiii

So not worth it
And who is going to join in this merry band of nostalgia? Who can afford to, and who would want to? Even if you go with nice "simple" v10 engines, if you are going to free up development then costs are going to be huge.

Entire Series will take place in the United Arab Emirates, problem solved.

Zeknurn

Red Bull spec series with 20 races around Red Bull Ring.

We can laugh all we want, but sad reality is that independent Bernie could way more easily bring glory days of F1 [big, oldschool and insanely lud V10, refuelling and non-bloated race calendar] back to tracks than FIA can. Not only that, he could probably negotiate good TV coverage.

I would so watch that!

No he can't. He is responsible for half these problems through his nickel and dimming.
He is an old man stuck in the 1970s. I'd rather see what the new management is cooking(the FIA has mostly been a passive observer anyway).

Also fuck refuelling. I don't want to see all the overtakes happening in the pits again.

Zeknurn

Autobild has some information. Google Translate url

• Based on the the now completed GP1 concept by that Briatore started on 2013
  • Lower budgets
  • Chassis based on GP2 cars
  • Naturally aspirated engines
  • Without the FIA
  • Bernie is trying to get tracks that have previously negotiated to be in Formula 1
  • Bernie has already been in contact with the bigger teams, Marko says Red Bull is commited to F1 and has no interest in other series.

All odd years since Red Bull were good years for Vettel, while the even ones seemed alright to bad

2009: Rise to contender
2010: Didn't look like the champion until the very last race despite the best car
2011: Domination
2012: Only barely won against Alonso in a soapbox after a tumultous season
2013: Domination
2014: Owned by Riccy
2015: "FERRARI IS BACK", obliterated Kimi
2016: Fell back, looked unimpressive next to Kimi and lost his cool many times

Following this logic, 2017 will be great for him, as hard as it is to believe.

So what you're saying is that science tells us that this year, will in fact be THE year.

Brot, we did it.

Lach

Damn. It's that time of the year again where the lack of F1 racing leads to weird prophetic dreams. The dream was about me being really excited about F1 starting again. But people kept distracting me and I couldn't watch the race. I still remember the result though.

So if you want to spoil yourself on the result of the 2017 Australian Grand Prix:
1st: Kimi
2nd: Dany
3rd: Stoffel
6th: Lewis

Didn't catch any other.

Damn. It's that time of the year again where the lack of F1 racing leads to weird prophetic dreams. The dream was about me being really excited about F1 starting again. But people kept distracting me and I couldn't watch the race. I still remember the result though.

So if you want to spoil yourself on the result of the 2017 Australian Grand Prix:
1st: Kimi
2nd: Dany
3rd: Stoffel
6th: Lewis

Didn't catch any other.

More confirmation that Ferrari is back!

Top Bottom