• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula One: Championship Edition - PSM3 Review

Shinobi

Teknopathetic said:
"Why don't you quote like normal people do?"

Why don't you adhere to the rules of capitalization like normal people do?

:lol Bitch slapped...

BTW, half the people in this thread still crying over the PSM review have probably never seen an F1 race in their ****ing life. If you like the game anyway (or whatever you've played of it), then buy it. Who gives a **** what some rag thinks. But quit crying about it like a bunch of ****ing girls.

[/rant]

Dante

DenogginizerOS said:
It was in a discussion about how the penalties are executed in the game. Maybe someone misspoke.

In the Podcast they said that you are penalized by speed in game, meaning it will slow you car down and you are not penalized at the end. And I beleive they did say you couldn't turn that off.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Dante said:
In the Podcast they said that you are penalized by speed in game, meaning it will slow you car down and you are not penalized at the end. And I beleive they did say you couldn't turn that off.

Luke asked if it was an "option you could customize", meaning could you make penalties behave like they do in real life. They don't say you can't turn them off.

kammy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Your either blind or you and doing the "GAF group think". This game is one of the best looking racing games on next-gen consoles.

Not seen the finished product yet, but the demo is horrible. I remember seeing this game on some website and it looked like gran turismo 7 or something.

The handling is still shit though. Has that been improved? I could cut corners on Monza without much penalty. The cars were also way to sensibly behaved. WGP was my favourite F1 racer ever though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
DenogginizerOS said:
Luke asked if it was an "option you could customize", meaning could you make penalties behave like they do in real life. They don't say you can't turn them off.

Nah, you can't do that.

Zaphod

Shinobi said:
:lol Bitch slapped...

BTW, half the people in this thread still crying over the PSM review have probably never seen an F1 race in their ****ing life. If you like the game anyway (or whatever you've played of it), then buy it. Who gives a **** what some rag thinks. But quit crying about it like a bunch of ****ing girls.

[/rant]

I've seen 5 USGPs and a couple of IRL races. I have not missed a televised F1 race in 4 years. Hooray for Tivo. It may sound like whining like a little girl but if a review of a game starts off saying F1 is boring I think I may complain a bit about the review. Besides, this is a video game discussion board if we can't bitch then what are we supposed to do? Talk about the weather? The reviews in question seem so far off of the impressions of NeoGAFs residents, I think that this it is a worthwhile discussion.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AlphaSnake said:
Nah, you can't do that.

Hey AlphaSnake, is there any sign of online leaderboards in your copy?

Yeah, vintage cars are cool. I think u unlock more winning races in the Career Mode. IIRC I've unlocked the Honda RA272 when I won my fist GP.

Double H

I’ve unlocked the Cooper Climax, Honda RA272, Lotus 72E and Renault RS01 after receiving gold Time Attack medals. Pity the vintage racers can only be driven in Time Attack mode, can’t be damaged and the drivers’ hands seem stuck to the steering wheel—how does he/she change gears?

TTP, in regards to prizes in the “Trophy Room”; do you know if it matters what difficulty you win the GP/Championship at?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Double H said:
TTP, in regards to prizes in the “Trophy Room”; do you know if it matters what difficulty you win the GP/Championship at?

I dont honestly know. I won that car on Easy, and I'm pretty sure I did by winning my first race in the Career mode. Game is a little obscure about "what does what" in terms of prizes and such.

AlphaSnake

TTP said:
Hey AlphaSnake, is there any sign of online leaderboards in your copy?

Yeah, vintage cars are cool. I think u unlock more winning races in the Career Mode. IIRC I've unlocked the Honda RA272 when I won my fist GP.

Not sure. I tried going online, but since the game is 11 days away, there was no one online. So I didn't even bother pecking around online options. :lol

Double H

TTP said:
I dont honestly know. I won that car on Easy, and I'm pretty sure I did by winning my first race in the Career mode. Game is a little obscure about "what does what" in terms of prizes and such.
Cheers; I’m just going through the Time Attack mode to learn each track before I start a Championship. Not knowing Japanese certainly doesn’t help, especially when configuring a setup—mind you the interface scales horribly on a SDTV, your photos show a remarkable improvement to the final release.

GitarooMan said:
So just to be clear this game is compatible with the Driving Force Pro outside of the Force Feedback capabilities?
Yep, 200 degrees with resistance—providing the power adapter’s plugged in… :)

J-Rzez

SHARKS BITE KILL SHARKS said:
The demo was horrible. Not suprised by some of its review scores so far.

You know what... I had fun with the demo, but now that you put it this way, it changed my mind... I'm sure motorstorm is garbage too huh?

J-Rzez said:
You know what... I had fun with the demo, but now that you put it this way, it changed my mind... I'm sure motorstorm is garbage too huh?

I don't think Motorstorm is as good as it is hyped to be. At least there is some fun to be had with it though. I think I fell asleep while playing the F1 demo.

I want the new livery on the Ferrari. This looks BOOTIFOOL!

248sk1.jpg

AlphaSnake

chespace said:
:lol C'mon bro, they're totally independent and stuff.

I can't wait until Forza 2 gets panned for something trivial and false and see how you react about it.

AlphaSnake

ypo said:
He's not a troll with agenda. Don't be harsh on him.

Well whatever the case may be with ThreeSpeech, I'm sure their thoughts of the game will reflect mine and TTP's. Because at the end of the day, Formula One is a good racing game.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
AlphaSnake said:
I can't wait until Forza 2 gets panned for something trivial and false and see how you react about it.

Yeah, I bet. You and a ton of other people. :lol

I was laughing at Sho Nuff make fun of threespeech. Not sure what it has to do with you or your love of F1. Did I hit a nerve or something?

I know this thread is a stroking session so I've purposefully held off on commenting further on my dislike for F1's gameplay. So kindly f*** off, thanks.

Raistlin

Teknopathetic said:
All 4 wheeled vehicles are not created equal.

Hasn't that always been the crux of AlphaSnake's argument against the review in question?

The reviewer obviously has no concept of how an F1 car does in fact drive.

Shinobi

Zaphod said:
I've seen 5 USGPs and a couple of IRL races. I have not missed a televised F1 race in 4 years. Hooray for Tivo. It may sound like whining like a little girl but if a review of a game starts off saying F1 is boring I think I may complain a bit about the review. Besides, this is a video game discussion board if we can't bitch then what are we supposed to do? Talk about the weather? The reviews in question seem so far off of the impressions of NeoGAFs residents, I think that this it is a worthwhile discussion.

Dude, I watch F1 as well...there's a lot I like about the sport. But even I'd admit that there are aspects of the sport that are boring as ****.

The review said the previous editions of the game were fantastic, something that's somehow gotten lost in this thread of frothing anger. They probably still found F1 boring back then as well, but still praised those games. And I doubt anyone had an issue with their opinions then, cause no one I knew ever put EA's F1 games at the same level as Sony's (not the console versions anyway). But now that they pan one of PS3's saviours, it's an issue? That's a little conveniant. And some of the comments I've seen like PSM having an XBox agenda or something is just beyond the pale.

If I owned a PS3 I'd probably buy F1 anyway, but only for a discounted price. I'd probably dock half it's overall rating just for being based on last season, which makes the game hopelessly out of date (unless there's a way to update it, and no one's ever been able to answer that question properly).

Anyway, my feeling for years that fanboys/hardcore gamers/GA forum posters put far too much stock in reviews, but only when it suits them. 90% of reviews aren't even worth paying attention to.

AlphaSnake

chespace said:
Yeah, I bet. You and a ton of other people. :lol

I was laughing at Sho Nuff make fun of threespeech. Not sure what it has to do with you or your love of F1. Did I hit a nerve or something?

I know this thread is a stroking session so I've purposefully held off on commenting further on my dislike for F1's gameplay. So kindly f*** off, thanks.

Whoah, chill out. My statement was tongue-in-cheek. Why would I want critics to wrongfully tarnish Forza 2? I'm buying an X360 in a few weeks for the game alone. I thought you were insinuating that ThreeSpeech was a Sony-biased site (I don't know if they are or not, it doesn't matter) and that they praised F1 solely because Sony told them to and not because it's a good game.

Calm down.

Raistlin

Shinobi said:
The review said the previous editions of the game were fantastic, something that's somehow gotten lost in this thread of frothing anger.

And interestingly, the people that are serious F1 fans found the original to be great ... but the later games' play-mechanics to not be accurate. IIRC, they were less realistic; basically they were more arcadey (hello drift) in order to appease a larger audience.

If anything, the statement that he loved the previous games shows how little he understands the mechanics of F1 ... or the sport in general.

AlphaSnake

Shinobi said:
The review said the previous editions of the game were fantastic, something that's somehow gotten lost in this thread of frothing anger. They probably still found F1 boring back then as well, but still praised those games. And I doubt anyone had an issue with their opinions then, cause no one I knew ever put EA's F1 games at the same level as Sony's (not the console versions anyway). But now that they pan one of PS3's saviours, it's an issue? That's a little conveniant. And some of the comments I've seen like PSM having an XBox agenda or something is just beyond the pale.

The issue is that they panned it over something because of a really bad oversight. I'm sure if the same critic that reviewed Sony's previous F1 games reviewed this one, he'd agree that it's good. But this guy panned it because he kept on doing something wrong. It was a fault with the player, not the game. Kind of like the saying: it's not the car, it's the driver. I mean, I took this guy's comment about the traction being glue and proved him wrong. I got oversteer. I got slides. It's all there, even though the critic said it wasn't.

I couldn't care less about someone disliking the game. But man, at least give us some valid reasons as to why you don't like it. I mean, I feel like I've caught this guy in a Gigadent or something. :lol

How does this compare to say Formula 1 back in 1996 and F1 97?
98 was junk and i haven't bought an F1 game since, and was really looking foward to this version.

methane47

AlphaSnake said:
Whoah, chill out. My statement was tongue-in-cheek. Why would I want critics to wrongfully tarnish Forza 2? I'm buying an X360 in a few weeks for the game alone. I thought you were insinuating that ThreeSpeech was a Sony-biased site (I don't know if they are or not, it doesn't matter) and that they praised F1 solely because Sony told them to and not because it's a good game.

Calm down.

Well its complicated... Threespeech is almost like a 2nd party blog if you will.. They get first dibs on information from Sony (Europe) and they get to hold sony parties and such... But Sony doesn't seem to influence directly what and how they write.. since I've seen them bad talking sony once or twice (granted not as hard as other sites..) Think of threespeech as a bunch of Sony enthusieists. If they thought the game was going to be bad.. .They would have probably not reviewed the game at all.

Draft

AlphaSnake said:

Calm down.
IIRC, Threespeech is a Sony owned site.

kiUNiT

AlphaSnake said:

Calm down.

Can you give us a link to your F1 review and then give us a review of Forza2 when you purchase it. (hopefully with the FF wheel)

So, basically this "review" was proven wrong on every point. Handling is amazing in this game, even in the demo. I just wonder what some of you guys PSN tags are, especially of the guys that say they like F1 but dislike this game :lol .

Best F1 game I played since '98 no doubt, and that's just talking about the demo.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
AlphaSnake said:

Calm down.

Sorry if I came across a bit rude there. Actually, if anything, I've appreciated your impressions of the final version of F1 and have been following it closely. This thread has also inspired me to give the demo some extensive scrubbing -- and guess what -- after talking to Denogginizer and playing it a lot more tonight, the handling in F1 is growing on me. I still miss rumble to give me a sense of locking up the brakes and/or loss of traction (I still tend towards the extremes... either I'm understeering or oversteering) but overall it's starting to click. I've been racing with all aids off on hard difficulty all night and it is quite a challenge, although I can still really get into podium range right at turn 1 by cheating. Anyway, off to play some more.

p3tran

Banned
TTP said:
Ok, I didn't manage to do those long drifts shown in the video posted by methane47. This is the closest I could get to sliding after some tweaking (both are taken at the same turn to the left, but they are different. It's not a the same video :)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZbWvaTcME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JomxN7vNuuo

(just uploaded. Give it some time)

hey TTP! thanks for your effort, but I still get the "The video you have requested is not available." on youtube.

any ideas what am I doing wrong?

edit: it worked
:/

MS7XWDC

has it been confirmed that "out of the box" the PSP mirror isn't enabled ?
will there be some sort of "Download" of this feature ?

I dont understand it. The game gets bad reviews by edge and PSm3, the demo wasnt good from what i heard, guys on 1up don't show much love at all for the game...

And people somehow complain about the ones reviewing the game, and not about how the devs screwed up?

Am i missing something here?

Top Bottom