• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 5: Behind the scenes look (video) [Up: 1080p/60fps]

I'm suprised laser scanned tracks isn't getting much attention. It's pretty megaton.

Not only is it easier to develop as a computer models the track surface perfectly so all you need to do is model the environment but they are quiet literally perfect virtual recreations.

Hoping T10 have done it across all real world tracks.

More than anything else they've announced thus far, this is the one feature I'd like to hear more about. In particular, to what extent has laser-scanning been implemented? Scanning the tracks that are new to the series, sure, but I find it rather hard to believe that they've had sufficient time to go back and rescan the tracks previously modeled with GPS data.

You're right, though. Provided this isn't just marketing hype, laser-scanning is a very big deal and a huge step forward for the series.

That's the thing with laser scanning, it's significantly quicker, easier and more accurate.

Definitely, but Turn 10 completely revamping their track modelling process just a few short years after FM4 and its GPS-sourced tracks were being hailed as the best thing since sliced bread just sounds to good to be true, although I would love nothing more than to eat a bit of crow.

Here's a fun little game to play.

What does FM5 need to have to convince you to buy an X1?

For me

Dynamic time of day.
Dynamic weather.
Bathurst.

If it doesn't have all of these, no buy.

It's out of Turn 10's hands. I need Microsoft to drop the 24 hour check-in and lower the price by at least $50.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Definitely, but Turn 10 completely revamping their track modelling process just a few short years after FM4 and its GPS-sourced tracks were being hailed as the best thing since sliced bread just sounds to good to be true, although I would love nothing more than to eat a bit of crow.

I don't think you quite understand how much quicker laser scanning could be.

Creating a track the old fashioned way took a year or more.

With laser scanning, they could scan the entire track inside of a day and simply gather environment detail. No laborious trecks around the track with a GPS device logging points on each side. No extensive pro race driver testing to get bump/camber information.

They could easily half the time to develop tracks because computers would quite literally do most of the difficult work.

I can see new tracks possibly being scanned but any previous ones (barring Silverstone) just getting tarted up.

It really wouldn't take long to run the scanning truck around the track, import the information into a computer to convert it into a high detail mesh and import that directly into the track files. It would take a lot longer to manually do it and even longer to upgrade the track environments.

Perkel

Banned
Looks amazing (sans shitty godrays) but i didn't saw there things like weather or day/night cycle. Also still undisclosed wheel support. There will be thrustmaster one but what with old wheels ?

G Rom

Would T10 need to scan it themselves, can't these scans be bought like a car model?

IIRC, some tracks offer laser scanned versions as part of licensing, I think I had read that some years ago about the Nurburgring. Maybe BADNED could confirm that ?

I just can't get over how beautiful the cars look, we finally see the models as they were intended to be seen. I can't wait to see regular cars (i.e non super cars) with the new shaders.
I just want this to be confirmed now :
-dynamic time of day
-dynamic weather
-Spahurst
-maybe some form of offroad racing
-wheel legacy support for the owners

Any idea when we will get a Gamespot video similar to the one for FM4 ?

Mascot

I just can't get over how beautiful the cars look, we finally see the models as they were intended to be seen. I can't wait to see regular cars (i.e non super cars) with the new shaders.
I just want this to be confirmed now :
-dynamic time of day
-dynamic weather
-Spahurst
-maybe some form of offroad racing
-wheel legacy support for the owners

Agreed, except offroad racing. Don't want it.

Any idea when we will get a Gamespot video similar to the one for FM4 ?

Wednesday 1pm EST on Gamespot I think (according to SatansReverence Soundscream).

(5pm GMT, 6pm BST)

saladine1

I love the 'imperfections' seen on the cars.
Looks like bug splatter or something on the headlights, rubber/tar on the vehicle body?
Damage looks good too with better crumple..

G Rom

Thanks Mascot.
I love that as well, Saladine. I just hope we can turn it off in photo mode. Speaking of which, photos will be incredible with that level of details...

Shaneus

Yeah everything I've seen so far looks fantastic, it what hasn't been shown that's bothering me.
A lot of it is stuff that comes out in the wash as well. It might be good on launch, but we honestly don't know what after-launch support will be like. If the other games are anything to go by... not fantastic.

Yes, I'm being somewhat negative because it's literally the only game I want the console for, so I'm just keeping everything tempered until we know more. Hell, it's another four-five months until we get it, so a lot could change between now and then.

saladine1

We can only really comment on what's been shown so far and I like what I see.

However, there are real concerns that need to be addressed.

Sigh, I wish it didn't have to come to this you know. I wish that everything was hunky dory with regards to DRM/Online/Wheel support so that we could be talking the game up with a level of hype it deserves.

I mean of what's known so far:

1080p 60fps
Laser scanned tracks
Stunning visuals
Drivatar
Open Wheelers
Race day atmosphere
Physics
..etc

This thread should really be exploding. There should be more discussion.
This is why I constantly stress that Turn 10 need to show or say something that'll truly put asses in seats...

Mascot

Should have been Dan telling us about the open wheeled cars and laser scanned tracks on stage, we need some solid details.

Absolutely. What better forum is there than on stage at the fucking MS press conference, with a worldwide audience watching on Spike and on Gametrailers? Instead we get some flowery guff, some dry ice and some limited game footage.

Why the hell did we find the best things about this game afterwards in some random text file that someone found buried on the internet?

As Sal says, MS need some serious damage limitation right now - especially after he Sony presser - but once again their marketing is leaving a lot to be desired. Prick teases strung out between now and November - especially those that turn out to bear fuck-all fruit - just will not cut it anymore.

saladine1

HbZMJKF.jpg

The new wheel?

Oh, and there's BADNED on the left..

If Fanatec have no solution then surely they would have said a firm "nope", they have nothing to lose in doing so and I don't see how a hardware partner would kept kept in the dark over the matter. Hopefully they are just working something out.

Seen the Forbes footage? Game appears to be played at a different time of day.

Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSlSIuAT3A

amar212

60 fps video from the showfloor incoming (720p)

Blim, can you save us the pain, please?

Can any of you guys ask Turn10 about situation with the wheels:

- will any of Fanatec Forza Motorsport X360 wheel models work on XBO,
- if not, does XBO allows for usage of USB wheels,
- is the new Thrustmaster prototype XBO wheel only,
- is that wheel Xinput (XID) wireless wheel as previous generation of Xbox Xinput wheels,
- if not -if it is USB wheel - does it use USB HID standard and support other USB platforms or does it again use some special connectivity standard,
- should new wheel be available on launch with the game?

Thank you in advance for this, hundreds of people on many communities would like to know this answers and nobody wants to ask questions.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
60 fps off-screen video, rather good quality I'd say:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_forza_5_60_fps_gameplay-14190_en.html
Blim, can you save us the pain, please?

Can any of you guys ask Turn10 about situation with the wheels:

- will any of Fanatec Forza Motorsport X360 wheel models work on XBO,
- if not, does XBO allows for usage of USB wheels,
- is the new Thrustmaster prototype XBO wheel only,
- is that wheel Xinput (XID) wireless wheel as previous generation of Xbox Xinput wheels,
- if not -if it is USB wheel - does it use USB HID standard and support other USB platforms or does it again use some special connectivity standard,
- should new wheel be available on launch with the game?

Thank you in advance for this, hundreds of people on many communities would like to know this answers and nobody wants to ask questions.

Sadly I don't think our guys there have any way of contacting the Turn10 people. I'll see what they can do, but don't hold your breath.

Mascot

If Fanatec have no solution then surely they would have said a firm "nope", they have nothing to lose in doing so and I don't see how a hardware partner would kept kept in the dark over the matter. Hopefully they are just working something out.

Seen the Forbes footage? Game appears to be played at a different time of day.

Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSlSIuAT3A

Dan looks like the Incredible Hulk's Eastern European gangster cousin in that video.

I had to lol at Dan saying (paraphrase) "we aren't trying to turn pad users into wheel users or wheel users into pad players".

No. Microsoft are trying to turn wheel users into fucking pad users!

You won't like me when I'm angry. GRRRRRR..!

Mascot

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The game looks phenomenal. Amazing at what they have done in only two years and on a completely new platform.

If you consider the jump from Forza 3 to 4 was fairly minor then they should have had a lot of the most-requested features in the oven for quite a few years.

Turn 10 are a big developer.

(Edit: I may or may not have made a similar post pre-Forza 4. :p)

saladine1

60 fps off-screen video, rather good quality I'd say:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_forza_5_60_fps_gameplay-14190_en.html

Sadly I don't think our guys there have any way of contacting the Turn10 people. I'll see what they can do, but don't hold your breath.

Holy shit Blim!

Great quality.

Man, FM5 looks absolutely fucking crazy!
Fuuuuuuuuu!!!!

I saw grid girls, marshalls..etc Plenty of action on the start line. Well fucking done Turn 10!

I hate the music and shit at these events. I need to hear the cars!!

saladine1

Perhaps someone can make some GIF's. Trust me though, if you can download Gamersyde's video, you will cream your pants..

Have they mentioned any new features? Besides the extension of drivatar I mean?

Night? Dirt? Snow? Anything? Or is there a decent summary anywhere?

Mascot

Have they mentioned any new features? Besides the extension of drivatar I mean?

Night? Dirt? Snow? Anything? Or is there a decent summary anywhere?

Don't be silly. They haven't even plucked the chicken yet, let alone started tickling our balls with the feather. Info will be drawn out slowly over the next five months.

Top Bottom