• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 |OT| The 7 you've been waiting for!

GHG

Gold Member
In 2013 people expected wheel support and some FFB, now they expect a wheel feel and handling like a real car, because games like Assetto Corsa has shown them that it's possible. The demo felt like super sligthtly better FM6, which is way below the current bar set by AC and also pCARS2 (not 1, but also a ton of PC sims).

Anyone who says this really good just doesn't have a clue and I'm saying that as someone who knows how self-aligning torque on a real car's steering wheel would be calculated.

Thank you.

And on the point about AI, literally every gameplay video and steam has instances of the AI straight up ignoring the players presence on the road and ramming them. Karak even touched on it in his review. Drivatars have always been inconsistent, especially when you take them out on tracks like Long Beach in any of the higher classes of cars.

squared

Maybe it's the drivers but the stuttering in this game is even worse than what I've seen in FH3 pre-Hot Wheels. I don't even know how that's possible.

Stupid me thinking they would learn from previous mistskes.

Just did some test driving, alone, on Maple Valley short. It randomly stutters now and then even with just me on the track and static weather etc. Unbelievable.

Qassim

I rolled back to the last NVIDIA drivers to get G-Sync working again, now running unlocked fps, max settings, 1440p, 8xMSSA + 150% render resolution, much of the time i'm at 100fps+, no stutter - very smooth consistent frametimes, all good. Very happy with the performance & visuals. (I'm using the afterburner overlay to monitor this, also turned off the HUD/head motion thing entirely to ensure it wasn't obscuring any stuttering).

So at least we know a good experience is more than possible, it's bugs that are causing issues on particular system configurations, what is particularly causing this huge variance doesn't seem clear yet though.

DarkestHour

Banned
In 2013 people expected wheel support and some FFB, now they expect a wheel feel and handling like a real car, because games like Assetto Corsa has shown them that it's possible. The demo felt like super sligthtly better FM6, which is way below the current bar set by AC and also pCARS2 (not 1, but also a ton of PC sims).

Anyone who says this really good just doesn't have a clue and I'm saying that as someone who knows how self-aligning torque on a real car's steering wheel would be calculated.

Hell, I just want the wheel to work. Going 90 degrees with the wheel shouldn't send me flying in to a wall and my tires skidding from lack of traction at a measly 30 MPH.

Thank you.

And on the point about AI, literally every gameplay video and steam has instances of the AI straight up ignoring the players presence on the road and ramming them. Karak even touched on it in his review. Drivatars have always been inconsistent, especially when you take them out on tracks like Long Beach in any of the higher classes of cars.

Yet somehow people still act like it is a non issue and the game is "perfect". There's a whole lot of proof and even the honest reviewers mention it!

squared

I rolled back to the last NVIDIA drivers to get G-Sync working again, now running unlocked fps, max settings, 1440p, 8xMSSA + 150% render resolution, much of the time i'm at 100fps+, no stutter - very smooth consistent frametimes, all good. Very happy with the performance & visuals. (I'm using the afterburner overlay to monitor this, also turned off the HUD/head motion thing entirely to ensure it wasn't obscuring any stuttering).

So at least we know a good experience is more than possible, it's bugs that are causing issues on particular system configurations, what is particularly causing this huge variance doesn't seem clear yet though.

385.41? I don't have a G-sync monitor, but it might fix my random stuttering...

Fredrik

The most frustrating thing about this game as a PC player is the regressions in functionality from the series. It feels like improvements aren't merged back upstream and then those improvements aren't in new releases.

Stuff like an in-game framerate counter, not being able to turn in the audio down (or off) in game, and (maybe?) the better multicore support. But I'm getting very good and consistent performance when I bring my refresh rate down to 60Hz and disable G-Sync.

FWIW, G-Sync worked in the demo but I can't seem to get it to work in the full release, so that can be considered a regression too.

During the early days of Forza on PC talk, we heard a lot about the team getting the tech ready for PC and how they were preparing for it, and whilst it does seem fundamentally strong, the recurring issues that had been fixed in previous releases indicate an odd issue in the development processes.

(FWIW, I am *really* enjoying the game - Turn10 are overall doing a fantastic job, just a few frustrating points).
Try alt-tab back to the desktop and deactivate g-sync and then activate it again. Worked for me, the lovely G-sync smoothness is there as good as ever.

G35Dude

Neo Member
36723383373_f9dde5a8a7_o.jpg

36723383523_6250ca6bb5_o.jpg

23541425248_0be406c41f_o.jpg

Make sure to turn Vsync on to reduce stuttering. Makes a huge difference for me on a monitor without adaptive refresh (well, it has Freesync, but Nvidia). The final game has some stuttering videos, but the rest is pretty damn smooth for me.

Dynamic resolution targeting 2160p, everything else maxed out.

i7 6700, GTX 1080, 16GB DDR4 @ 2666, SSHD.

But, isn't there any split-screen on PC? Because that's a key feature for me.

I remove what I said about the AI being fine in the dry. First place 90% of the time just has a better car, even when the cars are the same, with the same class and number and everything else.

They can brake later, accelerate faster, have a higher top speed, turn better. I tested multiple times in free mode now, it's baffling. It's not like if you put the difficulty higher they are using perfect lines, no mistakes, etc. The car is just better, even when they are supposed to be the same.

Funny thing is, this mostly happens with first place, the rest (2-20) usually are decent / balanced, while the last two/four (21-24) are ridiculously slow.

HeliosT10

Just did some test driving, alone, on Maple Valley short. It randomly stutters now and then even with just me on the track and static weather etc. Unbelievable.

To all of you experiencing hitching/stuttering can you please try disabling Game Mode in Windows and closing down fully any overclocking, hardware monitoring, streaming, recording and any other nonessential apps and processes. We have found in our internal testing so far that this fixes the issue in a high percentage of cases.

Please note however this is only a temporary solution as the team is working right now on a more permanent fix for the root cause of this issue and we hope to update you more on this in the near future.

dafodeu

Really cool Porsche model they were giving away at GameStop when I picked up my Pre-order. They still have some available for people who Pre-order for Tuesday's release.

Daffy Duck

To all of you experiencing hitching/stuttering can you please try disabling Game Mode in Windows and closing down fully any overclocking, hardware monitoring, streaming, recording and any other nonessential apps and processes. We have found in our internal testing so far that this fixes the issue in a high percentage of cases.

Please note however this is only a temporary solution as the team is working right now on a more permanent fix for the root cause of this issue and we hope to update you more on this in the near future.

I had stuttering and hitching on cut scenes in singleplayer on Xbox one.

MaDKaT

Disabling Game Mode made a remarkable difference in the demo for me.

HeliosT10

I had stuttering and hitching on cut scenes in singleplayer on Xbox one.

External or internal HDD? The game does lots of heavy asset loading in the background during cut scenes so that might be the reason. Got a video you can provide of the cut scene hitching so I can see if it looks particularly bad?

For anyone who bought the amazon glitched ultimate edition, do you know what you get for the promotional code they mail you? My game is arriving today so I don't wanna redeem the code until I install the game.

Also curious if the VIP/bonus/etc stuff is digital and cross play, in case I trade in the game and rebuy it digitally down the road. I'd prefer to do that, but not sure if the disc itself has ultimate on it.

Theorry

This series is still the best racing game to play with a controller. Its so good. And coming from PCars its night and day.

squared

That was with Game Mode disabled and barely any background app running. I closed my monitoring software, things like Creative Cloud, Logitech profiler etc. I usually don't have much running normally either, but closed these anyway.

My specs btw, i7 4790k @ 4.3 Ghz, 16Gb RAM, GTX1080, installed on SSD.

Daffy Duck

I thought the 918 Spyder was in the game?

Can’t see it under Porsche.

External or internal HDD? The game does lots of heavy asset loading in the background during cut scenes so that might be the reason. Got a video you can provide of the cut scene hitching so I can see if it looks particularly bad?

I believe it’s external.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178209134?t=84

Time stamp is 1:20 onwards if it doesn’t play

You can see it right at the start when planning across the grid.

This fixed 99% of stuttering for me. Might not work for everybody, but worked wonders on my 980Ti.

Open up Nvidia control panel, select FM7 profile and set power management to Prefer max performance.

eHKrFQO.png

This is my GPU core clock before changing the setting, which resulted in tons of stuttering.

b5gEhkc.png

And this is after changing the setting. Nice and even GPU core clock, no stuttering.

xaBY8Wd.png

This fixed 99% of stuttering for me. Might not work for everybody, but worked wonders on my 980Ti.

Open up Nvidia control panel, select FM7 profile and set power management to Prefer max performance.

eHKrFQO.png

This is my GPU core clock before changing the setting, which resulted in tons of stuttering.

b5gEhkc.png

And this is after changing the setting. Nice and even GPU core clock, no stuttering.

xaBY8Wd.png

Already did that and mine looks like the second one, just a straight bar, no drops.

Still stutters.

LostDonkey

Noticed a few bugs.

During the night race in the ATVs the headlights are flickering very badly on all cars in the race.

USA F1 track flag wavers are borked, almost looks like screen tear when driving past.

Rival events people are tuning cars to beyond the regulations and setting silly laptimes.

Rear Wheels still disappear at speed just like FH3.

This is all PC version BTW.

HeliosT10

That was with Game Mode disabled and barely any background app running. I closed my monitoring software, things like Creative Cloud, Logitech profiler etc. I usually don't have much running normally either, but closed these anyway.

My specs btw, i7 4790k @ 4.3 Ghz, 16Gb RAM, GTX1080, installed on SSD.

Just sent you a PM.

DasRaven

HeliosT10, call the powers that be and tell them that they are about to crash their brand new game if the VIP issue isn't addressed.

I was shocked when I opened my VIP crate and got 25 double credit mods vs the usual permanent double credit bonus.

This is unacceptable and the fact that mods are closing threads on FM.net about this subject is suspect. Streisand effect and all.

Daffy Duck

HeliosT10, call the powers that be and tell them that they are about to crash their brand new game if the VIP issue isn't addressed.

I was shocked when I opened my VIP crate and got 25 double credit mods vs the usual permanent double credit bonus.

This is unacceptable and the fact that mods are closing threads on FM.net about this subject is suspect. Streisand effect and all.

Huh?

What’s this?

Agreed

I finally got to run a few races on my PC copy. i7-6700HQ, GTX 1070 on the latest drivers, 16 gb ram.

So far so good performance wise. Haven't seen a single stutter or any sort of frame rate issues in game. I'm running it at 1080p on ultra currently as that is the resolution on my laptop. I will try 4K later this weekend once I can hook up to my 4K tv.

I have found a few small issues. For whatever reason I can't control the game using my Xbox controller unless I power on the controller after I've passed the splash screen. This mean that I have to use a keyboard to actually get to the point of getting into the game main screen with all of the menus. Also I have found there to be some issues with frame rate during cutscenes. Nothing major, but something noticeable.

Spasm

Co-signed.

Having VIP rewards as mod cards that take up a limited number of slots in each race is an interesting idea, and could be a lot of fun mixing and matching, but is completely ruined by the appearance of them being consumable.

DasRaven

Huh?

What's this?

"VIP" gives you the usual crown, some specific driver suits, and 5 mod cards for +100% CR good for 5 races each. So after at most 25 races, you get no bonus CR for being a VIP.

VIPs better get a permanent +100% CR mod card at the very least.

Why is there no PC performance thread? I thought the OT thread is for gaming design discussion? As a Xbox user, this thread is hard to navigate and almost useless for me. I really hope PC performance talk(whether good or bad) will not dominate Xbox games dosscussion in the future. I understand it's importance for PC gamer and I am not saying Microsoft platform exclusives should not be criticized.
But I think we should prevent PC technical disscusions overshadow the game design talk thread such as OTs because let's be honest, most Forza 7 owners will play it on Xbox One unless we're talking about the Asian market.

squared

Just sent you a PM.

I've replied to your PM Helios, thanks!

To Qassim and anyone else, my stutters seem to be fixed!

Just ran three races and no noticeable stuttering! I reverted to a clean install of the previous Nvidia driver, 385.41 and the following:
- Set Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance in Nvidia Control Panel (Global setting)
- Disabled Game Mode
- Set target to 60 FPS in-game with V-sync

Not sure how much of the settings above helped, since I tried those with the latest driver too, but the driver rollback definitely helped! Brands Hatch in rain and full grid definitely stuttered before, but not now. Even the menus are a far, far cry from the demo issues, they're 90% smooth now.

Daffy Duck

"VIP" gives you the usual crown, some specific driver suits, and 5 mod cards for +100% CR good for 5 races each. So after at most 25 races, you get no bonus CR for being a VIP.

Hahahah, that’s so bad it’s hilarious.

The fuck.

Stubo

Wait what?

(I'll still be playing the ultimate edition tonight, I'm part of the problem)

Wow.

Yup, this seems like either a weird oversight or a really dumb decision. Why piss off those people who are actually willing to buy VIP these days? Every game less and less people think it's worth it and THIS does not help.

Yup, this seems like either a weird oversight or a really dumb decision. Why piss off those people who are actually willing to buy VIP these days? Every game less and less people think it's worth it and THIS does not help.

Right now VIP is worthless, there are no benefits for having it, cause the 25 (or less if you use 3 cards at the time) races with 100% payout is nothing.

DJ_Lae

I actually didn't realize that change was made - I just assumed that the total credits were reflecting a 2x VIP bonus.

Having it limited to 25 is idiotic, especially when the other VIP 'bonuses' haven't been significant for years.

Stubo

To fundamentally change something that has been a consistent feature of VIP for as long as I can remember the pass even being in the games doesn't sit right with me.

Perhaps it's my fault for making the assumption when I bought it, but I feel like when something has been so consistent across the games it's not unreasonable to do so.

MouldyK

Hell, I just want the wheel to work. Going 90 degrees with the wheel shouldn't send me flying in to a wall and my tires skidding from lack of traction at a measly 30 MPH.

This kept happening with the Truvks like Ford Raptor...swapped to controller for these races.

Spasm

To fundamentally change something that has been a consistent feature of VIP for as long as I can remember the pass even being in the games doesn't sit right with me.

Perhaps it's my fault for making the assumption when I bought it, but I feel like when something has been so consistent across the games it's not unreasonable to do so.

I don't even want to play the game right now so I don't ruin my qualification of getting a refund on the UE. I'd still buy the regular edition, as I still want to play the game. It's just that VIP is no longer worth the premium. I'll just play Cuphead til this all gets sorted out (knock on wood).

Frostman

Thank you.

Yep. This is my biggest problem with the Game. The AI are a joke, so messy and frustrating to race against.

Top Bottom