• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

rokkerkory

I have no problem at all did I say I did? I just said personally I can't buy an expensive new console for one franchise. Maybe I will in the future if my brother doesn't get one and they are much cheaper.

Is this like your life story thread bro?

jem0208

GTAV does a good jov of making it's rural scenery feel alive. I enjoyed the FH2 demo immensely but some small touches like a bit more traffic, wildlife, and maybe things like trains rolling along would help.

But I agree that it's primarily a racing game and that's where the focus should be.
You run into the issue that you can crash into these things though.

Crashing is part of GTA, it's very often quite entertaining. If you've got too much on the road in Forza it'll just be annoying.

As for wildlife, I'm not sure how well crashing into a deer would go down in Forza :p

watership

the only reason that I am just a little skeptical on the plus 90 metacritic is that the original was 85 on the site. gaining 5 would be absolutely great but who knows.

I think the reviews will be all over the place. Not sim enough, too sim, etc. The highs will be very high though, if the game delivers on variety of discovery and things to do.

You run into the issue that you can crash into these things though.

Crashing is part of GTA, it's very often quite entertaining. If you've got too much on the road in Forza it'll just be annoying.

As for wildlife, I'm not sure how well crashing into a deer would go down in Forza :p

Haha I know I'm just throwing out suggestions, the game feels fine as it is. And I agree crashing would be annoying, I was already running into quite a few trees as it is, don't need to be hitting cyclists!

Gestault

I think the reviews will be all over the place. Not sim enough, too sim, etc. The highs will be very high though, if the game delivers on variety of discovery and things to do.

I think Jeff Gerstmann will be a good indication. He's reasonably familiar with the mainline Forza games (though not especially enthusiastic about them), but really enjoyed the original Horizon. If he thinks it's fun, chances are those of us looking forward to it will agree. If he thinks it's too similar or too little changed, I'd bet there are good reasons for that.

watership

I think Jeff Gerstmann will be a good indication. He's reasonably familiar with the mainline Forza games (though not especially enthusiastic about them), but really enjoyed the original Horizon. If he thinks it's fun, chances are those of us looking forward to it will agree. If he thinks it's too similar or too little changed, I'd bet there are good reasons for that.

Jeff's review might be delayed. I thought he's off for a bit?

ekim

*resists avatar quote*

Looking forward to seeing what the press thinks!

Also I saw somewhere that the Tesla Model S is a part of the VIP pass? Is that real? If so I absolutely am grabbing that.

I'm a proud Horizon 1 fanboy. Call me out if you want to. I don't care :p

"Its got race cars... so if race cars are something you're into, and if the idea of doing donuts on grassy fields and weaving through forests at high speed appeals to you, then sure, Horizon 2 is probably going to be the game for you."

Then again I'm pretty sure he's a fan of crazy jumps, so...

p3tran

Banned
Hey guys.

Just a heads up that Driftwood and myself are going to do a live stream of the game at 9:30PM CEST (in about 80 minutes) on Twitch. We can't show more than the first hour of the game, but it should still allow us to go outside the demo area quite a bit. So if you want to see a bit of the game and also "enjoy" my truly terrible French-English accent, I'll post the link here when we start :)

If this is successful (this will be our first live stream), I'll most likely switch to a hybrid solution using our own stream servers with much higher image quality, but with twitch fallback too for mobile and users that can't handle the higher bitrate.

Driftwood ...sounds like a horizon open-world ..drifter :D will watch!

Uzny

Preload completed, bring on the 30th! Anyway, I think Horizon is becoming my new favourite racing series now that Burnout is no more (RBR is no. 3).

watership

Yea......yea......

Tomorrow is going to be a shit slinging fest.

I wonder how many new Driveclub threads will pop up tomorrow. There seems to be a few a day lately.

Edit: I meant to say, I hope that there are new threads to discuss the games, and maybe keep the slinging to those new threads. It may be time for a Horizon/Driveclub thread like the bucket one for Forza/GT comparisons. It really really cleaned up the official threads. It was brilliant.

p3tran

Banned
Review day.

bah, if we didnt have the demo, reviews would be mucho importante for me. as it is... academic interest only..

I guess it will review very well. also, there are at least two more racing games coming from big publishers, even three if you prefer. so if forza horizon goes to 70-80, then where do the rest go? ;)

I wonder how many new Driveclub threads will pop up tomorrow. There seems to be a few a day lately.

Edit: I meant to say, I hope that there are new threads to discuss the games, and maybe keep the slinging to those new threads. It may be time for a Horizon/Driveclub thread like the bucket one for Forza/GT comparisons. It really really cleaned up the official threads. It was brilliant.

I like the idea of a comparison thread. I have to say though, as a fan of racing it's a wonderful time seeing all the hype for DC and Forza on the front page :) It's going to be a busy next couple of weeks for me!

HeliosT10

Hey guys.

Just a heads up that Driftwood and myself are going to do a live stream of the game at 9:30PM CEST (in about 80 minutes) on Twitch. We can't show more than the first hour of the game, but it should still allow us to go outside the demo area quite a bit. So if you want to see a bit of the game and also "enjoy" my truly terrible French-English accent, I'll post the link here when we start :)

If this is successful (this will be our first live stream), I'll most likely switch to a hybrid solution using our own stream servers with much higher image quality, but with twitch fallback too for mobile and users that can't handle the higher bitrate.

Honoured you're choosing Horizon 2 for your first stream blim, hope it goes well!

Raven77

That VIP membership sounds like complete bullshit.

2x progression in the game? Exclusive multiplayer content?

So basically, if you only buy the regular game, all the VIP's online will have much better cars etc. as they unlock them 2x faster.

This has really soured my excitement for this game. Am I reading that VIP description wrong? Is online mode separate from the progression system?

Gestault

That VIP membership sounds like complete bullshit.

2x progression in the game? Exclusive multiplayer content?

So basically, if you only buy the regular game, all the VIP's online will have much better cars etc. as they unlock them 2x faster.

This has really soured my excitement for this game. Am I reading that VIP description wrong? Is online mode separate from the progression system?

None of the previous games in this series have had problems with slow EXP progression, based on my personal experience.

What do you think it deserves, from your experience so far though?

9 based on the demo.

Some minor issues like the rain effect not on par with that from PGR4 and some other minor issues with handling.

Apart from those, it's an incredible game. Leaps and bounds improved from Horizon 1. The level of freedom and openness is exactly what I imagined after Horizon 1. Although I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad it wasn't set in the deep south.

Our review is going up tonight as well (Will there be a separate review thread?)

I really don't see any 10s for this.

It's good, but if you played Horizon 1 there's no new activities (except for being able to drive anywhere). Stuff like Showcase events were awesome back then, but now they've lost their novelty and there is fewer of them.

If FH2 was released as the first game in the franchise, yeah it would have been incredible. But because FH1 exists and the sequel borrows pretty much everything from it, it's less impressive.

Bessy67

Our review is going up tonight as well (Will there be a separate review thread?)

I really don't see any 10s for this.

It's good, but if you played Horizon 1 there's no new activities (except for being able to drive anywhere). Stuff like Showcase events were awesome back then, but now they've lost their novelty and there is fewer of them.

If FH2 was released as the first game in the franchise, yeah it would have been incredible. But because FH1 exists and the sequel borrows pretty much everything from it, it's less impressive.
I really hate this mentality. So because Horizon 1 was a really good game and Horizon 2 builds upon that formula, it's somehow not impressive? Is a sequel just supposed to dump everything that gave the IP an identity in the first place and try to do everything new?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I really hate this mentality. So because Horizon 1 was a really good game and Horizon 2 builds upon that formula, it's somehow not impressive? Is a sequel just supposed to dump everything that gave the IP an identity in the first place and try to do everything new?

This

VinFTW

Seriously...

If they changed the flow of the game, even just a little bit, I wouldn't buy the sequel.

I want FH1 (an immaculate racing game) in a new location on better hardware.

Top Bottom