• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

Our review is going up tonight as well (Will there be a separate review thread?)

I really don't see any 10s for this.

It's good, but if you played Horizon 1 there's no new activities (except for being able to drive anywhere). Stuff like Showcase events were awesome back then, but now they've lost their novelty and there is fewer of them.

If FH2 was released as the first game in the franchise, yeah it would have been incredible. But because FH1 exists and the sequel borrows pretty much everything from it, it's less impressive.

How many showcase events are there?

Our review is going up tonight as well (Will there be a separate review thread?)

It's good, but if you played Horizon 1 there's no new activities (except for being able to drive anywhere). Stuff like Showcase events were awesome back then, but now they've lost their novelty and there is fewer of them.

If FH2 was released as the first game in the franchise, yeah it would have been incredible. But because FH1 exists and the sequel borrows pretty much everything from it, it's less impressive.

It's important to make the distinction between quality and "newness". Just because things have been done before doesn't necessarily justify docking a score because it's not particularly unique or revolutionary. A simple clause in the review can advise the reader that if they've played previous iterations there's nothing groundbreaking for them to see - but it doesn't diminish the fact that it's a better game than it's predecessor. I posted some tweets by IGN's Vince about Destiny in another thread and I feel it applies here as well:

irm0YFArNvroC.png

klodeckel

Banned

I get what you are saying, but the argument is completely non-sense. People should just see the game on its own- and judge on it. "If you played Horizon 1 ...". Yeah, okay, I get that. And if someone hasn't played it? Your review isn't for me then?

I expect the game will get a 82 - 85% Metacritic btw - just saying ...

RyudBoy

Probably the most impressive looking "crowd" in a game so far (Assassin's Creed Unity is pretty hot, too). It's almost as if they wanted to make up big time for the 2D mess that was in Forza 5.

What time is the embargo lifted for reviews?

I get what you are saying, but the argument is completely non-sense. People should just see the game on its own- and judge on it. "If you played Horizon 1 ...". Yeah, okay, I get that. And if someone hasn't played it? Your review isn't for me then?

Both view points obviously get addressed. And just because you played FH1 doesn't make FH2 any less awesome. The text just makes note that lots of this stuff has already been done, and is literally unchanged.

Ape

Banned
Why don't we just wait for the review and see what it says? No reason to dig into the post too much more. I'm sure all of your questions will be explained in detail when it gets published, plus it's not like NexusGamer can really go into too much detail on the contents of it yet.

T.O.P

Banned
Why don't we just wait for the review and see what it says? No reason to dig into the post too much more. I'm sure all of your questions will be explained in detail when it gets published, plus it's not like NexusGamer can really go into too much detail on the contents of it yet.

+1 to this

no point in arguing when we'll be able to read the full review in some hours

Krilekk

Banned

And it leads to some nice questions. What about Gran Turismo or Forza? They offer the same tracks, the same cars, the same events with each iteration. Does that mean they get worse each time? Nobody would say that Forza 5 is a worse game than Forza 2, right? I do think that lack of innovation should be called out (where it belongs, the personal opinion) but it has nothing to do with a rating. I.e. the most complaints about Watch Dogs were the copy & paste mechanics from the last AC titles. Well, I haven't played either one of them. It was all new for me. And that's how I would like games to be rated, on their own. Cause that's what most people reading them will assume.

I really hate this mentality. So because Horizon 1 was a really good game and Horizon 2 builds upon that formula, it's somehow not impressive? Is a sequel just supposed to dump everything that gave the IP an identity in the first place and try to do everything new?

Well first off it's not a mentality. Is there something wrong about a criticism that points to the fact that the sequel uses 90% exactly the same gameplay elements as the original?

Nobody is asking to throw anything away. But the Showcase events are fewer in number and don't even give you a free car, and they are the same in concept as the first game. You still find boards of XP and coins to smash. You still do one-off car challanges with a specific given car. It's all good stuff, but literally unchanged from the original game, and it makes up a majority of the gameplay in FH2.

I can't talk in too much detail, but again, there's nothing WRONG with using the same content/gameplay mechanics, but it is absolutely worth noting.

I am not sure why you guys assumed that it makes the game worse or something.

jem0208

Based on how awesome it made the demo I'd say this is a pretty massive difference.

Well first off it's not a mentality. Is there something wrong about a criticism that points to the fact that the sequel uses 90% exactly the same gameplay elements as the original?

Nobody is asking to throw anything away. But the Showcase events are fewer in number and don't even give you a free car, and they are the same in concept as the first game. You still find boards of XP and coins to smash. You still do one-off car challanges with a specific given car. It's all good stuff, but literally unchanged from the original game, and it makes up a majority of the gameplay in FH2.

I can't talk in too much detail, but again, there's nothing WRONG with this, but it is absolutely worth noting.

Also, since when has Horizon 1 had this? Unless I'm forgetting things..

Gestault

Stuff like Showcase events were awesome back then, but now they've lost their novelty and there is fewer of them.

Am I off-base to point out the inherent catch-22 in what you're saying about the Showcase events?

Saying they've lost their novelty is absolutely fair (though things like the train race adds some new interesting fail-states where it blocks your progress if you haven't been fast enough early on), but you also seem to take issue with there being fewer of them, which itself seems like a response to the original problem you raise.

There were only ten showcases in the first Horizon. Pretty disappointing to hear there aren't even that many in H2. Was expecting at least double the count from H1.

Based on how awesome it made the demo I'd say this is a pretty massive difference.

The open world is, of course, a huge difference. I am referring to the things you do in it.

Forza Horizon 1 had the Outpost PR Stunts, which are the same concept as the Bucket List challenges in FH2

neurophd

I really hate this mentality. So because Horizon 1 was a really good game and Horizon 2 builds upon that formula, it's somehow not impressive? Is a sequel just supposed to dump everything that gave the IP an identity in the first place and try to do everything new?
Word!

jem0208

The open world is, of course, a huge difference. I am referring to the things you do in it.

Forza Horizon 1 had the Outpost PR Stunts, which are the same concept as the Bucket List challenges in FH2

Doesn't the open world greatly affect how you do those things though? It certainly seems to in the demo.

Also I was not aware of the Outpost PR stunts. Wonder how I missed them...

Bsigg12

Alright just bought the Deluxe Edition and I'm preloading it now. I wasn't sure if I wanted the Car Pass so I decided to hold off on that until later.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed.

Still, lots of 8's, 9's with a few 10's will still be a great achievement.
I said it earlier (actually after you got me all warm and toasty talking about rallying), I'm guessing 91.

EDIT: Anyone else thinking of getting the car pack? I have the standard day one edition on pre-purchase and I'm more interesting the the cars than the VIP add on, this a stupid idea?

I said it earlier (actually after you got me all warm and toasty talking about rallying), I'm guessing 91.

EDIT: Anyone else thinking of getting the car pack? I have the standard day one edition on pre-purchase and I'm more interesting the the cars than the VIP add on, this a stupid idea?

Rally!

I've got very high hopes for some Rally DLC. It even makes perfect sense with France being in the game...

Also got my fingers crossed for some snow DLC come December...

ShogunX

Not at all but it would be strange to hold this against Horizon 2 when your site has given Fifa 15 a 9/10. The review for that game is pretty glowing and notes the slight changes and tweaks to the game as positives rather than recycled content.

Look forward to reviews tomorrow, can see a lot of 8's.

Gestault

Is there something wrong about a criticism that points to the fact that the sequel uses 90% exactly the same gameplay elements as the original?

In a racing game which includes speed competitions with a wider range of vehicles than the rest of the genre? One which employs a completely different approach in the sequel by making traversal and races properly open-world? Particularly when the driving environment is a complete change (and expansion) from the earlier game? I would actually say yes, there is something wrong with that.

If that same standard is leveled at the whole genre, I can at least recognize consistency. But as someone who plays racing games though, I wouldn't find that a valuable editorial outlook.

Bsigg12

Which car pack? The Launch Bonus pack or the Day One pack because both are free.

Or you're meaning the Car Pass which I'm holding off on until I see what they offer.

arhra

If I hadn't jumped in with the Ultimate edition I'd probably wait to see a few car packs before opening my wallet for the pass. Unless the Noble alone makes it a must-buy already for you.

Raven77

Yes but to say that the only big difference is that its open world would be the equivalent of saying about a fictional GTA 6 that the only big difference is you can go into every building in the game.

That would be a huge game changer, regardless of if new gameplay elements were added. And I feel that the open world is a game changer of the same magnitude in the case of Horizon 2.

Horizon 1 patched in vehicle specific challenges at some point down the line - stuff like reaching the top speed for X seconds, winning races, pulling certain stunts, etc. Loved em and was hoping to see them return in H2. That was separate from the outpost challenges to open up fast travel.

So whats this about fewer Showcase events in H2? I don't remember there being many in the first game.

There were 216 in the first game and I never felt like it was small.
As a TDU and TDU2 fan, Horizon has always felt pretty small to me. Was hoping the sequel would be 4 to 6 times larger - but alas, seems like this new one is somewhat larger than the first, but with more off-road drivable area. Looks like a lot of variety this time in terms of road types and tighter city areas.

Mostly though I'm interested to see any decent sized off-road trails.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Rally!

I've got very high hopes for some Rally DLC. It even makes perfect sense with France being in the game...

Also got my fingers crossed for some snow DLC come December...
I'm not afraid to admit I would pay through the nose for that. Is it bad I'm thinking that with my wife due to pop baby number 2 on New years Eve?

Which car pack? The Launch Bonus pack or the Day One pack because both are free.

Or you're meaning the Car Pass which I'm holding off on until I see what they offer.

If I hadn't jumped in with the Ultimate edition I'd probably wait to see a few car packs before opening my wallet for the pass. Unless the Noble alone makes it a must-buy already for you.
Yeah it was the car pass, sorry guys. I'll probably do that and hold off for a bit, cool my pre-purchase jets :D .

God, the game looks beautiful in the gamersyde stream.
Can't stop watching!

hawk2025

Yes but to say that the only big difference is that its open world would be the equivalent of saying about a fictional GTA 6 that the only big difference is you can go into every building in the game.

That would be a huge game changer, regardless of if new gameplay elements were added. And I feel that the open world is a game changer of the same magnitude in the case of Horizon 2.

Well, I completely disagree.

If GTA VI lets you go into every building but that fact adds absolutely nothing to the game, then it's not a gamechanger.

World design isn't divorced from content design.

Anyways, this is probably a discussion best had once the actual reviews are out, rather than based on one paragraph comments, no?

Bessy67

So whats this about fewer Showcase events in H2? I don't remember there being many in the first game.
I found an article on Crave talking about their stats at "completion" of the campaign. Some of the stuff could be considered kinda spoilerish, so click at your own peril. As for the number of showcase events,
it looks like there are only 5. That is kind of disappointing.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...-content-realize-check-stats-story-completion

Peterpan

Yea it changes the way you race, in addition the rain should change the way you race as well. Those are pretty big in my view. I will not comment on his review, as its his view. But I think those 2 make Horizon 2 a big step ahead. The world is bigger, more open. In Horizon 1 it was very much on the road, and the dirt roads they gave you. The new events too, like racing against trains. I can't see how they can change it anymore without it changing to something else. The handling has changed according to most so it is different as well. Plus they added like 100 more cars and dynamic lighting to everything. Maybe I just feel this game is a huge improvement. But I won't complain about Nexus review, don't want to be one of those people.

I found an article on Crave talking about their stats at "completion" of the campaign. Some of the stuff could be considered kinda spoilerish, so click at your own peril. As for the number of showcase events,
it looks like there are only 5. That is kind of disappointing.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...-content-realize-check-stats-story-completion
Interesting. I guess there were 10 in the original game.

Rally!

If there is rally DLC I hope they make a secondary overworld map that has all of the stages on it instead of normal roads - open world rally is my dream. Not individual stages separated with load times - goes against what makes an open world great in the first instance.

But yeah, thought the rally DLC was crazy expensive, but man was it heart pounding stuff.

blakep267

On one hand I understand the nothing new added = slightly lower score, but in the other hand some of my favorite games are sequels with nothing really new added. It's like, I wouldn't dock pokemon for just adding new pokemon and new areas while keeping the same gameplay, or I wouldn't dock halo 3 for being too similar to Halo. Not arguing as I don't care much about the scores. But I think it's an interesting back and forth.

Cheddahz

Banned
If there's only
five
Showcase events, then I guess that sucks, but honestly, the Showcase events were some of my least favorite events in the first game

jesu

That VIP membership sounds like complete bullshit.

2x progression in the game? Exclusive multiplayer content?

So basically, if you only buy the regular game, all the VIP's online will have much better cars etc. as they unlock them 2x faster.

This has really soured my excitement for this game. Am I reading that VIP description wrong? Is online mode separate from the progression system?

You have to buy the cars with in game cash, VIP doesn't give you a cash boost.
Exclusive multiplayer content is, I think, racing against other VIP owners.

Do we know yet whether DLC cars need to be unlocked with in-game credits after purchase (the old Forza/Forza Horizon model) or if once you buy the DLC those cars are added to the shop and cost nothing (the revised Forza 5 model)?

Would like to hope that Horizon isn't taking things a step backwards.

Cygnus = Xanadu alt account?

Before I thought of making an account, I lurked this site for a long time during Forza 3 and Forza 4 days and it's interesting how I noticed his account picture being the same as the Xanadu guy. (I noticed it because his posts usually got on my nerves.)

Bessy67

Do we know yet whether DLC cars need to be unlocked with in-game credits after purchase (the old Forza/Forza Horizon model) or if once you buy the DLC those cars are added to the shop and cost nothing (the revised Forza 5 model)?

Would like to hope that Horizon isn't taking things a step backwards.
In the Blim stream the Lamborghini Urus (a VIP car) was listed at 150K credits so I guess you still have to buy them.

Top Bottom