• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Mascot

Christ, I hope Drivatars really do work as intended. The tech has the potential to be a game changer across the whole racing genre.

Seems some of the spikes need smoothing out, some of the extremes need ignoring.

My worry is that if racing against bad Drivatars is a clusterfuck then your own driving will suffer, and by extension your own Drivatar stats will contribute to the bedlam. How are you supposed to record 'good' data in a chaotic race? The whole thing could be a self-perpetuating problem.

It'll be very interesting to see how this develops once FM5 is out in the wild. Fingers crossed.

Gestault

i1RrG3tR54Z6W.gif

I'm withholding judgement until the cloud gets populated, and difficulty levels are jacked. The question for me has always been how well can drivatar scale up, and I'm still no closer to knowing that than I was six months ago.

Gestault

The close-ups on the environment in replays look awesome
ibofOagciDBvHn.gif

This actually has one of the buildings that was downgraded in the background.
ibbFb2aF3WLayy.gif

Pretty deliberate camerawork too
ibrAOcYHXG4INj.gif

Close-up on the tyre (and a bonus backfire)
iGsA3JBTbsrAI.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
huge leap in audio, ai, and physics. oh, graphics look ok too. 2 more days, so excite.

Forza 5 seems pretty good but overall a big disappointment in terms of contents, also im worried about the auction house and storefront, I want to see how good or bad is the replacement.

They should have named this one Forza 5 prologue, doesnt deserve to be considered a full thing.

shandy706

Really need a gif from the replay of the cars coming down and past the field of flowers.

I would make it, but not where I can do it right now.

Spasm

It's there, and thankfully full 60 fps from reports. A few video reviews have included footage, though I haven't seen any technical tear-downs yet.

OK, I just didn't know if it was known or not. Doesn't seem like anyone's talking about it. There's a couple of short Gameclips of it up on Smartglass. Two SVT Raptors crashing into each other in split-screen.

A bunch more clips of multiplayer races too... Or should I say crash-derbies. This game is going to be a bloodbath online.

saladine1

Fuck, the resonance in that exhaust!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epy2ACW4DPs

You see, it isn't just 1 sound coming out from the back there, it's a collection of different frequencies bouncing around in there.

The fidelity my friends, the fucking fidelity is GREAT!

A video of upgrades and customization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psp4nZR7bkA

As has been said before, the upgrades and customization is pretty much the same. No new parts. No widebody kits. The only change that I can see is that wheels are now categorized by sports, 3 piece and specialized.
No new tuning tools either such as ecu management or boost control.
Damn, with fewer content you would think things like that would've been expanded upon...

adelante

You see, it isn't just 1 sound coming out from the back there, it's a collection of different frequencies bouncing around in there.

Was the reverb during the starting grid always that pronounced? Noticed this in a lot of gameplay videos that's been released out there. Been a while since I played Forza so I can't recall. But fuck, it sounds fuckin' awesome in chase cam and all cars are revving up.

saladine1

Was the reverb during the starting grid always that pronounced? Noticed this in a lot of gameplay videos that's been released out there. Been a while since I played Forza so I can't recall. But fuck, it sounds fuckin' awesome in chase cam and all cars are revving up.

Reverb wasn't as pronounced in Forza 4 in the starting sequence. But yeah, the overall systemic overhaul is clearly A1.

Fuck Turn 10, why didn't you include just ONE fucking Aussie classic?!?!
All I needed was a Torana, Monaro, Brock Commodore or Falcon GT. Would've been fucking incredible to race The Mountain in one of those cars.

Fuuuuuuuuuuccckckk!!!!

I might send my wife to go pick up the Xbox at midnight for me as I'm at work. Is that a stupid thing to do?

Forza Motorspot 5 - IGN AU Commentary

Man, the cars in Vista are truly incredible!

saladine1

Hmmm, it seems that the trans-whine effects haven't been done to the way I would've liked. It still sounds like it's just a whine that changes pitch as you move up the revs. The other associated effects and behaviors of the box are still missing

This is how I want the whine to sound and behave..
Warning, the first whine is a little loud..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EJFD9sdQwA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jU-jmjAEoM

Notice how the whine is affected by the gearbox flex and also that the whine is influenced by not only increased rpm's but also decreasing rpm's something that FM5 doesn't seem to do..

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Wow that Spa segment at the end where an RUF Yellowbird weaves in and out past other opponents. I wonder if higher difficulty AI exhibit more of this racing behaviour or if they retain a lot of the bad traits from the Drivatar data.

That video is delicious!

eso76

watching all these vids on my TV.
IQ is more than good enough for me, sitting 3-5 mts away from my 50" aliasing is basically non existant (and my tv is 720p, so i'm expecting smaller pixels when i finally grab that pana 50gt60)

Glad to see the final version is nothing like that Bernese Alps direct feed we got and certainly far from that 540p laguna seca footage that keeps popping up.

Those shaders for brushed metal, silver, wood, matte paint they are using (with blurred reflections) are great; lighting on some of the tracks is awesome (sebring, indianapolis).

There's several 1+ hours long live stream recordings available on YT

this is one of the more interesting

It's in italian though. Goes rather in depth, showing a little bit of everything.

Spa replay at 31' switches to AI car around 31'20 (not very flattering) and photo mode

Shaneus

that would have made ZERO difference, since its a pricing model we are talking about here.
the only thing that might keep microsoft greed to lower levels would be the pgr franchise not selling good before.

to me its very clear, like I posted many weeks ago, that at one point they had a meeting, they looked at what they where ready to offer, compared to what other offerings were,
then realized that they can SELL the content that was originally to be included.
I was talking about PGR5 in terms of development cycle and relative simplicity compared to launching with something like FM5. No voiceovers to direct and record, no Forzavista wankery to shoehorn in, no upgrades to calculate and tweak... and don't forget, a lesser number of cars are expected compared to the Forza series.

So no, I'm not talking about the pricing model. I'm talking about T10 seemingly failing (or greatly struggling) to make the launch and looking like they're monetising while they're at it.

i really dislike the american woman narration, bring back the old english chap!
I noticed that in Sessler's review. American woman from English chap perfectly echoes Forza's transition from clean, neat simmy-racer to NFS-brodom. Or at least, it potentially does. I dunno.

From the eurogamer review - "but it's been stripped back to make Xbox One's launch, and augmented with a host of ugly extras that only serve Microsoft's bid to make a few dollars more."

So much on the spot. amazing launch game in my opinion but at a big prize for the series...
Yeowch. At least glad that Eurogamer didn't succumb to showering it with praise.

All's well that Wiswell ;) (This was the first Forza he's worked on for it's entirety, yes?)

Fuck Turn 10, why didn't you include just ONE fucking Aussie classic?!?!
All I needed was a Torana, Monaro, Brock Commodore or Falcon GT. Would've been fucking incredible to race The Mountain in one of those cars.

Fuuuuuuuuuuccckckk!!!!
So much this. I understand Bathurst will have the current V8 Supercars (do they have the latest Commodore and Falcon as well as the Mercs and Nissans?) but what's the point without the rush of being able to drive around as Brocky, Moffat, Dicky J, Seto or Skaife?

From all of the reviews, it looks a little less exciting and fresh than even Horizon did when it was released. Having said that, I'm sure it won't be horrible and I know the people getting a One just for this game will have a goddamn ball... I just don't think that I would ever get as fully into it as I'd like without thinking things like "What if they'd had more time?".

PS. Has anyone noticed the smokey god-rays inside the car? That just looks really weird to me. Unless your avatar is a smoker ;)

saladine1

The fact that reviewers kept on mentioning that the career mode lacks structure,progression and that racing on the same tracks becomes repetitive, is very worrying indeed.
It sort of sounds like FM4 doesn't it?

I don't know man, I understand this being a launch title meant plenty of sacrifices and I'm sure Turn 10 busted their balls to get here, but most of me wished that Turn 10 didn't aim for launch and perhaps should've waited it out for at least another year. Not enough has been done imo.
The low car and track count, the lack of weather and night, no new upgrades/customization/tuning/Dyno tools, no dedicated drag/drift modes, no proper pit stops or any other new features, is hurting..

Oh well, it is what it is...

The fact that reviewers kept on mentioning that the career mode lacks structure,progression and that racing on the same tracks becomes repetitive, is very worrying indeed.
It sort of sounds like FM4 doesn't it?.

No it sounds like inexpert reviewers who don't play many driving games are getting fed up with driving in driving games. For those of us who find joy in each braking zone it's not really an issue is it? ;)

Krilekk

Banned
It sort of sounds like FM4 doesn't it?

Sounds like any Forza Motorsport before. I 100 %ed Forza Motorsport, went through the same grind for Forza 2 and left annoyed halfway through Forza 3. Ignored Forza 4 for the same reason. Horizon brought me back to the franchise, got Forza 4 after that and am playing that now until Forza 5. TBH I'm super glad there is no Ring, no Maple Valley and no Suzuka in it. I think I've had about 1000 lap on the Ring in various games. I don't care for the next even more accurate version, it's just annoying for me to do another 7 minute lap on that thing. Same for Maple Valley, it's been there way too long. One of my main concerns with GT was always that they keep old stuff around. Stuff like Spa and Yas Marina has me genuinely excited, I'm ok with some hundred laps each. Suzuka? I've been racing there since 1991 in Formula One Grand Prix.

From what I've seen so far career mode is more like Forza 2 than 3 or 4 and that is a very good thing.

saladine1

No it sounds like inexpert reviewers who don't play many driving games are getting fed up with driving in driving games. For those of us who find joy in each braking zone it's not really an issue is it? ;)

I've been hotlapping in FM4 ever since the release of the game. In fact, besides the odd game such as GTA5 and Battlefield, that's all I've been playing. Right now, I'm typing on the laptop and Forza 4 is paused on Catalunya in a Toyota Supra RZ. Tweaking,tuning,upgrading,trying to shave off seconds a lap. I love that shit.

However, I quite enjoy the 'story' driven careers that games like the old TOCA's, GRID's and yes, even the NFS's offered. I love a sense of progression, a goal, a structure. It gets you focused. It's exciting. Always looking forward to the next thing.
Forza however doesn't have that kind of structure and it basically throws you around anywhere, everywhere.
I like starting from the bottom and working my way up. I love driving the slower 'shitbox' cars then moving onto the bigger stuff. From rookie to pro. Yes, I quite enjoy that journey.

Having said that, the Top Gear integration and that 'Woman' is very appreciated. Their inputs,thoughts and comments basically breathes a little life into the game. It was really needed and perhaps there is now something to look forward to in the career mode which I didn't in FM4..

Shaneus

It was a little hyperbolic, I agree. I got caught up in the moment ;)

Listening to this, I think it sucks that we'll never hear his voice in Forza again. It's such a damn classy voice, IMO still classed up the series a notch above the voiceovers used for games like GT5 (for example).

He was the Creative Audio Director for Forza 4 and Horizon too.
But AFAIK he didn't join T10 when development of FM4 started and I would've thought that his role in regards to Horizon would've been more supervisory than actually having a heavy influence in it. At least, I hope so... the sound in Horizon was fucking pathetic and it's a travesty it was never fixed.

Mascot

I didn't see any rotating angles 4 inches away from the car.

Rotating replay angles have been replaced by rotating cardboard crowds.

I watched the DF download and the game looks phenomenal, downgrades or no downgrades, but the crowd looks like a two-minute MS Paint job. I'd prefer they were removed entirely, to be honest. Or at least be replaced with something that looks like part of the game.

Can't believe they passed QC. They must have been a last-minute necessity.

Top Bottom