• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Yea, it's on the delivery truck. I'll be on tomorrow night. :-D

You lucky bastard. Hopefully I will be able to scrounge together the extra dough to grab one sooner than later. I don't want to get one after you all are done racing online.

Still no shipping notice on this or the Xbox One. Looks like I'll probably be playing some time next week. :(

Those token threads are a real bummer. But you really can tell who has played a forza game in there that's for sure.

On a positive note, should we start putting together a GT list for everyone that will be playing and want to drive Sarbear's drivatar off the road?

Yeah, poor Seanspeed was trying so hard to get through to some of the thicker people, but I am guessing he finally realized it wasn't worth it.

And yeah, I will edit this post here in a sec with a link to the Google Doc. I will have you as an editor also so we can have people PM us their info for us to add.

Edit: Here is the link. If anyone wants to get their info added, PM either Zorbs or I. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on any more information to add then let us know.

Just did my first 5 races in the game. Loving it!

But where are my Forza rewards? I notice the marketplace isnt live yet. But I thought I could collect these through a message? Anyone else get them?

Darklord

Banned
PVp0oTL.jpg

Is this true? Did they really go back to flat cardboard cutout crowds?

Seems so. It appears they put the resources into the track, buildings and stuff and got rid of the crowd.

I am not a huge fan of the cardboard crowds, but since you never really notice them if you are driving, I don't really consider it a big deal.

GT has had the same shitty crowds since like the PS1 and I am still okay with it there.

I really think they should just get rid of the crowd completely. It really doesn't serve much of a purpose.

AlexMogil

It's such a small thing but that crowd stuff is really stuck in my head. Yes I know, I know, I'd rather have the resources be in the car or the track.

Hell maybe I'd rather they didn't have crowds at all, argh.

SarBear

Still no shipping notice on this or the Xbox One. Looks like I'll probably be playing some time next week. :(

Those token threads are a real bummer. But you really can tell who has played a forza game in there that's for sure.

On a positive note, should we start putting together a GT list for everyone that will be playing and want to drive Sarbear's drivatar off the road?

Impossible, I'm pretty aggressive.

Gestault

Notice that not only the crowds are 2D but the track side walls have reduced geometry as well.

The 2D spectators at trackside are an eyesore, but those are different parts of the track, and different angles of lighting (for reference, that statue is on the right side of inside of a curve and the building is on the left of the start to a straightaway).

FatnSlo

Neo Member
Just did my first 5 races in the game. Loving it!

But where are my Forza rewards? I notice the marketplace isnt live yet. But I thought I could collect these through a message? Anyone else get them?

Can you tell me if Multiscreen is anywhere in the Option menus?

SarBear

Not even Day 100 man. Unless I win a free Xbox somewhere, I probably wont be playing this. Breaks my heart.

At least it'll spare you a bit of embarrassment here and there.

:-/ Someone get this man an Xbox One. Please. You moved to Europe and lost your balls on the plan trip.

I don't have a problem with flat crouds. If it works at normal speeds then I don't see a reason to use the hardware budget to make them more complex.

The_Monk

Hey fellow GAFfers, I was just browsing my account on the Web (I've been playing Dirt 2 & 3 on PC) and among other things something hit me really, really hard.

E2ZMyi5l.png

:')

Good times, I have the menu music on my head right now, such a relaxing tune. Also, the Letter I got with the cover of Forza Horizon signed by the team still have a special place in my heart, T10 does a nice Community job, it's still a shame I won't be able to play this but I'll be checking those liveries and photos from GAF. Have fun everyone, this is the game to play on the XB1, I hope I can afford one, later on to be part of the Forza 5 Community. Already missing the FORZA Universe. (*single manly tear*)

HokieJoe

watching all these vids on my TV.
IQ is more than good enough for me, sitting 3-5 mts away from my 50" aliasing is basically non existant (and my tv is 720p, so i'm expecting smaller pixels when i finally grab that pana 50gt60)

Glad to see the final version is nothing like that Bernese Alps direct feed we got and certainly far from that 540p laguna seca footage that keeps popping up.

Those shaders for brushed metal, silver, wood, matte paint they are using (with blurred reflections) are great; lighting on some of the tracks is awesome (sebring, indianapolis).

There's several 1+ hours long live stream recordings available on YT

this is one of the more interesting

It's in italian though. Goes rather in depth, showing a little bit of everything.

Spa replay at 31' switches to AI car around 31'20 (not very flattering) and photo mode

Whoa nelly, will you ever be pleased when you get that TV in house. Just download the plasma break-in ISO from avsforum, give it 200 hrs, and you'll be gold. I don't have the GT series, but I love my 60" Panny plasma.

Snubbers

Rotating replay angles have been replaced by rotating cardboard crowds.

I watched the DF download and the game looks phenomenal, downgrades or no downgrades, but the crowd looks like a two-minute MS Paint job. I'd prefer they were removed entirely, to be honest. Or at least be replaced with something that looks like part of the game.

Can't believe they passed QC. They must have been a last-minute necessity.

I'm with you on that one!!

I'd rather have 10 polygon people then 200 cardboard cutouts that have zero fidelity and lighting..

Cross-posting from my "rant about microtransactions" thread, but it's probably worthwhile to point out that, for the EU, the prices of the car token bundles are a bit bullshit. Thanks to alr, LiquidRain and Longinus00 over on Something Awful for posting the following, which I will now shamelessly steal.

This is prices for Forza 5's car tokens for mainland Europe.
3kpWrB1.png

Here's how many tokens per Euro you'll get in each bundle:
100 Pack = 100 Token per Euro
8000 Pack = 80
325 Pack = 65
1250 Pack = 62.5
575 Pack = 57.5
2700 Pack = 54

Note that the recommended bundles are also the worst value.

[Edit] Oh, and as context, apparently the LaFerrari is 2334 tokens or 1.5 million credits. Yeah, have fun with that.

Hey fellow GAFfers, I was just browsing my account on the Web (I've been playing Dirt 2 & 3 on PC) and among other things something hit me really, really hard.

E2ZMyi5l.png

:')

Good times, I have the menu music on my head right now, such a relaxing tune. Also, the Letter I got with the cover of Forza Horizon signed by the team still have a special place in my heart, T10 does a nice Community job, it's still a shame I won't be able to play this but I'll be checking those liveries and photos from GAF. Have fun everyone, this is the game to play on the XB1, I hope I can afford one, later on to be part of the Forza 5 Community. Already missing the FORZA Universe. (*single manly tear*)

What is the story behind that?

My LCE supposedly shipped two days ago. Not here yet. My XB1 has been sat on "preparing to despatch" at Amazon all day.

Trying to be optimistic about tomorrow. Failing. It's only a game, right?

The Limited Edition says that the 1,250 tokens will be enough to "buy every car in the game." This leads me to believe that many tokens will cover the cost of the most expensive car.

This goes with the idea that they are revamping the token system since 3-4 tokens was enough to buy anything in F4.

This makes the most expensive cars like $10 to buy with real money, which actually sounds sane. Unlike whoever thinks it will cost $70. I don't understand how anyone could be so removed from planet Earth to think that sounds legit

Yup, I was completely wrong. I still don't mind the token system in theory, but this is quite absurd. I understand trying to change the value of tokens, but this is seriously insane.

It wasn't the person who said it that was removed from planet Earth so much as the person who came up with this idea.

not really familiar with forza but watching video reviews of this, does the series in general have lackluster driver animations in cockpit mode? The stick shifter doesn't seem animated when you shift gears o_O

conman

not really familiar with forza but watching video reviews of this, does the series in general have lackluster driver animations in cockpit mode? The stick shifter doesn't seem animated when you shift gears o_O
The Forza games are much more about the "broad strokes" rather than the fine details. Details aren't really their forte, which is why they can get their titles out so much faster than certain other racing game teams. Fans of the Forza games don't really mind.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So come on then, you day-one adopters. Nobody will judge you:

Who's buying the LaFerrari pack while FM5 is still installing?

noooo. unless there is a dedicated race car pack, especially WRC, i cant imagine a pack that will get me to bite on the whole thing.

i will buy the laferrari individually if possible (fat chance) and maybe a few other cars.

SegaShack

I shifted from my launch games being CD and KI to this. After hearing what Adam Sessler (another newcomer to realistic racing games) had to say about it and all the positive feedback the game is getting, this looks like the best offering for the system so far.

I don't have any preorders for it, if I walk in Bestbuy tomorrow will I be able to pick up a Day One edition or are those preorders only?

p3tran

Banned
My LCE supposedly shipped two days ago. Not here yet. My XB1 has been sat on "preparing to despatch" at Amazon all day.

Trying to be optimistic about tomorrow. Failing. It's only a game, right?
LCE from gameco.uk? if yes, exactly the same with me. my games shipped 2 days ago..

but xbone, I ordered from amazon.uk, I got the email with the tracking number a short while ago, but order status remained "ready to dispatch" for the entire freaking day. talk about ball-busting! :D

I have the bone coming on ups same day express, so I remain pretty hopeful for tomorrow.
along with the console, I have another copy of forza coming, but regular one, as this I ordered back in june with the console, and amazon did not let me change my order without loosing my preorder position. (probably because they didnt carry the LCE that I wanted to upgrade it to)

worst case scenario then it seems, tomorrow I'll be set with the bone and foza vanilla,
and then one or two days later the rest of the games, along with my LCE, will arrive.

so
ITS_HAPPENING.GIF

So come on then, you day-one adopters. Nobody will judge you:

Who's buying the LaFerrari pack while FM5 is still installing?
pfff nope
I'm buying the SUPER-UBER-HYPER pass

shandy706

The Forza games are much more about the "broad strokes" rather than the fine details. Details aren't really their forte, which is why they can get their titles out so much faster than certain other racing game teams. Fans of the Forza games don't really mind.

Depending on the aspect of the game, this is both right and completely wrong.

Edit** Amazon now says "Preparing for Shipment" with my F5 LE and "Shipping Now" for my X1.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm expecting to open my wallet for the expansion packs pass.

eso76

Cross-posting from my "rant about microtransactions" thread, but it's probably worthwhile to point out that, for the EU, the prices of the car token bundles are a bit bullshit. Thanks to alr, LiquidRain and Longinus00 over on Something Awful for posting the following, which I will now shamelessly steal.

This is prices for Forza 5's car tokens for mainland Europe.
3kpWrB1.png

Here's how many tokens per Euro you'll get in each bundle:

Note that the recommended bundles are also the worst value.

[Edit] Oh, and as context, apparently the LaFerrari is 2334 tokens or 1.5 million credits. Yeah, have fun with that.

Ahaha, so if I buy in 1€ packs I can have 10.000 tokens for 99 € but if want I can spend 99 € at once and have 2000 tokens less ? Lol They didn't even check this thing

Top Bottom