• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

EYEL1NER

F5 is the only game at the Xbone unveiling that I was hyped about. Most of the news coming out about the game since then has only disappointed me and left me wishing they had a couple more months with it and didn't have to meet the launch window. But it will still be the first game I purchase though when I get around to getting back to the US and picking up an Xbone in the spring.

Nice job on the OT, OP.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
It seems like they changed the car token system. I played all the other Forza games and can't remember a car that cost 70 €.

http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/78748/forza-motorsport-5-formel-1-wagen-kostet-70-euro-extra

If you want to drive the E21 you either have to grind for "several million" credits or pay 70 €.

the entire gist of the WiR was about how in fm5 a racer will earn FAR more money then they would in fm4 AND cars are cheaper. they have balanced the economy in a way to favor racers rather then a few painters raking in millions. grinding for all but the very most expensive cars wasnt an issue in fm4, not sure why people are making it an issue for fm5 - especially since it should be far less of one anyway.

as far as the rate of earning goes...

In fact, half of the cars cost 60,000 in-game credits or less. This amount of in-game credits can easily be earned in less than a half hour of racing in any mode at the easiest difficulty setting. Most people reading this will be able to earn that in 15 minutes at higher difficulty.

the fact that it says most people will be able to earn 240,000 an hour leads me to believe that many of us will even earn even more then that (surely we are better then most WiR readers!), but even so, thats only (ha) 25 hours! it also VERY likely doesnt include rank up rewards.

i wouldnt worry. the economy has been adjusted to make it easier then it has been in the past.

Mascot

I wonder if credits will be given with car DLC in FM5? Nothing worse than paying real money for a car pack then having no credits to use any of them in the career.

p3tran

Banned
It's in the WIR, in the paragraph that starts with "the flipside of the credit formula.."

It says 60.000cr can be earned within less than 30min on easiest difficutly or 15min on hard.
so basically 60.000/15min, which means 250k/hour
ok, does not sound so bad.
we still have to see how they changed the game economy though guys...
out of the 200 cars, if 50% is above 500.000 and 25% is above a mill, doesnt sound so hot..
less than a week and no more question marks...

The LE description makes it sound like 1250 credits lets you buy any car. The cost of that many credits is $10. If this is the case, I have no problem with the system. I'm on my phone and can't translate that article, but I don't see a price there in credits that they got the 70€ price point. The car would have to be 8750 credits to be 70€.
good catch, I call bull :D

op_ivy

so basically 60.000/15min, which means 250k/hour
ok, does not sound so bad.
we still have to see how they changed the game economy though guys...
out of the 200 cars, if 50% is above 500.000 and 25% is above a mill, doesnt sound so hot..
less than a week and no more question marks...

good catch, I call bull :D

50% of the cars are 60,000 or less
the most expensive car is 6,000,000
the game is set up to give you more cash and have the cars be cheaper then fm4.
not sure why people are still concerned.

I wonder if credits will be given with car DLC in FM5? Nothing worse than paying real money for a car pack then having no credits to use any of them in the career.

yeah, i've been vocal about that shit from the beginning. stupid stupid stupid. doesnt really affect me though as i almost never buy car dlc. did you get tokens or cash when buying car dlc in fm4?

flashmouth

Neo Member
The LE description makes it sound like 1250 credits lets you buy any car. The cost of that many credits is $10. If this is the case, I have no problem with the system. I'm on my phone and can't translate that article, but I don't see a price there in credits that they got the 70€ price point. The car would have to be 8750 credits to be 70€.

Edit: OK used google translate on that article. Sounds like total bullshit to me. There isn't a source link, he doesn't mention exact credits cost for the car, nothing. For all we know he may be getting the 70€ price point from the cost of the LE. Not going to worry about this nonsense until I hear it from T10. And even if it is true, I was always going to race to get my cars so this won't bother me anyways.

If you follow the sources from the different websites, you will hit this article about a Forza Preview Event with the full retail game
http://spieleschreiber.blogspot.de/2013/11/forza-5-play-to-pay-oder-die-140-euro.html

If you need specific information, I am happy to translate.
He says he is a racing game enthusiast and played every racing game on Xbox in the past. After 40min of gaming he wanted to try the Lotus before his turn was over, but he didn't have enough credits to buy. The game lead him to a screen where he could purchase token to buy the car, it then said the E21 would cost 70€ payable via credit card. He also mentions 30€ for classic GP cars.
He even mentions asking Dan about it who confirmed it. And afterwards he contacted Microsoft PR that also confirmed that price range for the top tier cars. But he doesn't provide any statements.

Mascot

50% of the cars are 60,000 or less
the most expensive car is 6,000,000
the game is set up to give you more cash and have the cars be cheaper then fm4.
not sure why people are still concerned.

Seems the concern was based on duff info. Edit: or maybe not.

yeah, i've been vocal about that shit from the beginning. stupid stupid stupid. doesnt really affect me though as i almost never buy car dlc. did you get tokens or cash when buying car dlc in fm4?

No, you didn't. It'd be a nice surprise if it was changed for FM5.

p3tran

Banned
If you follow the sources from the different websites, you will hit this article about a Forza Preview Event with the full retail game
http://spieleschreiber.blogspot.de/2013/11/forza-5-play-to-pay-oder-die-140-euro.html

If you need specific information, I am happy to translate.
He says he is a racing game enthusiast and played every racing game on Xbox in the past. After 40min of gaming he wanted to try the Lotus before his turn was over, but he didn't have enough credits to buy. The game lead him to a screen where he could purchase token to buy the car, it then said the E21 would cost 70€ payable via credit card. He also mentions 30€ for classic GP cars.
He even mentions asking Dan about it who confirmed it. And afterwards he contacted Microsoft PR that also confirmed that price range for the top tier cars. But he doesn't provide any statements.
yes, can you please translate what the dude says about difficulty?

like, here:
Mein Lieblingsauto – der Focus RS – scheint nicht im Portfolio vorhanden. Schade. Aber das Spiel fühlt sich trotzdem so toll an, wie ich es mir erhofft hatte. Großartige Fahrzeug-Kontrolle, vor allem nachdem ich die Standard-Fahrhilfen zum Teufel jage. Ich siege, teils ohne Lenk- und Bremshilfe, in den ersten fünf Rennen. Die sagenumwobene Cloud-KI ist offenbar nicht schlau genug für die Erkenntnis, dass sie jetzt mal angasen sollte. Ich nehme mir fest vor: Sobald ich die Xbox One und Forza 5 zuhause habe, Schwierigkeitsgrad hochregeln!

I do agree with him on his closing statements thought, and correct my translation here, but he goes like "why you, of all people t10, you went and sold your soul for the moniez" or something..
well, I can agree with him on that, even disregarding completely the (possible) 30-70e 'insta-paywall' for the better cars...

derFeef

"My favourite car, the Focus RS is not available in the porfolio, bummer. But the game feels still good, like I had hoped. Great car-control, especially after turning off the assists. I win without steering and breaking assists in the first five races."
He then says the cloud-ai is not smart enough to challange him, and the moments he gets the game he is turning the difficulty up.

flashmouth

Neo Member
"My favourite car - the Focus RS - seems not to be in the game. Sad. But nevertheless the game feels just as great as I had hoped. Tremendous car control, especially after switching of all of the driving assists. I win the first five races without turning and braking assists.
The "legendary" cloud AI obviously isn't smart enough to step on the gas. First thing to do when I get the Xbox One and Forza 5: Put the difficulty level up!"

Yeah, you are right with his conclusion, he is dissapointed by Turn 10 going for the money.

p3tran

Banned
"My favourite car, the Focus RS is not available in the porfolio, bummer. But the game feels still good, like I had hoped. Great car-control, especially after turning off the assists. I win without steering and breaking assists in the first five races."
He then says the cloud-ai is not smart enough to challange him, and the moments he gets the game he is turning the difficulty up.

so its like he's saying that he played not in the high(est) ai difficulty? yet complains that ai was not smart enough?

edit: according to flashmouth, he was already in "legendary"?? what is this anywayz?? :D

flashmouth

Neo Member
Legendary doens't refer to the difficulty setting, it's more to emphasize all the talking about adaptive ai and "power of the cloud" in the media, a little sarcasm.

Yeah, he kinda contradicts himself. He says it wasn't challenging enough, but above he mentions exciting battles for positions...

derFeef

Also not sure how the drivatar thing works before launch, I guess you need people on your friendslist playing the game?

p3tran

Banned
ok, I take his views as honest, from a racing guy that had one hour with the game, wanted more, tried to race the f1 car at his time ending, found out that there is ONLY one way to immediately get the f1 car, got pissed, and wrote the article :)
the name of the article is in the same logic too: <<Forza 5 - Play to pay or the 140 euro ass-grab>>
lucky for him, dan omitted to tell him about the 50e car pass, and the yet unannounced track pass situation. that would overboost him to turbine failure levels :D

flashmouth

Neo Member
Also not sure how the drivatar thing works before launch, I guess you need people on your friendslist playing the game?

Turn 10 said the gonna put a bunch of Drivatars trained by T10 guys on disk or day 1 download. But I guess this is just the standard AI we have seen in the videos, braking early like before.

I read if you set the game to hard difficulty you'll get the best drivers from the community as your top opponents. See if I can find that statement again, was in one of the previews iirc.

Mascot

I really hope Drivatar does work as originally intended - it's potentially the best thing to happen to driving games in a long time. And if it doesn't initially work as well as promised then I hope Turn 10 continue to develop and tweak it until it does.

I remember being incredibly excited about the "adaptive AI" in FM4's World Tour mode but that turned out to be fundamentally broken and was unfortunately never fixed.

PG2G

I don't think they need to be your friends, it could just be random people out there chosen by skill level.

saladine1

The recent previews of the game have mainly appreciated and praised the AI. Granted, their time with the game was limited but it sort of sets it up nicely especially when the Drivatars of the wider public starts to pop up..

A word of warning. If you ever come up against an overly aggressive Drivatar that has no intention of clean racing and just wants to run you off the road, it more than likely will be p3tran.

p3tran

Banned
A word of warning
iu3YO21BpdDNw.gif

The Limited Edition says that the 1,250 tokens will be enough to "buy every car in the game." This leads me to believe that many tokens will cover the cost of the most expensive car.

This goes with the idea that they are revamping the token system since 3-4 tokens was enough to buy anything in F4.

This makes the most expensive cars like $10 to buy with real money, which actually sounds sane. Unlike whoever thinks it will cost $70. I don't understand how anyone could be so removed from planet Earth to think that sounds legit.

RoKKeR

Just got done rewatching all of the direct feed videos. Damn, very excited for this. Will probably keep me occupied for a long time.

Xanadu

Banned
Road Atlanta looks suspiciously like a quick port.

still looks like the same inaccurate verison, its easy to tell from the downhill winding section, another non laser scanned track i guess

bathurst looks good but it irks me how the gears tick doesnt move when changing gears

op_ivy

awesome videos. bathurst looks so good! anyone check to see if gamespot actually has these in 60 fps this time around?

Insidesimracing says they will be getting the Thrustmaster wheel next week and will be putting it through the paces on PC first.

I'm really losing faith in Fanatec, dude hasn't updated his blog in over 2 months, I feel like I'm going to have to sell my stuff if we don't get some news soon.

Do you think $300 is a good selling price for my PWTS and Club sport pedals?

How old is the build that demo's at the MS have? It looks fine but i really hope the jaggies are not there for the final build. What are the chances the jaggies are gone?

Yeah, it looks like added a bunch of extra stuff round the track but otherwise the same.

What's more disappointing is had they not mentioned going back and laser scanning nobody would have said a thing, it's a damn lie but they seem to be sticking to it.

Begs the question why cut other tracks if all they are doing is tarting them up with crowds and lighting?

Chance of seeing a redone Nurburgring is very low, I'm no fan of it but I believe they'd have the cheek to try and sell the old one back to us.

Seanspeed

Banned
How old is the build that demo's at the MS have? It looks fine but i really hope the jaggies are not there for the final build. What are the chances the jaggies are gone?
Probably very little. Its an accomplishment to get 1080p/60fps in this sort of game as it is. The res bump helps the aliasing on its own, but it will still likely not have the best AA implementation in order to facilitate performance.

Zinthar

Are we still complaining about this? You bought the wheel for Xbox 360 not Xbox One. It still works on your 360. If you are passing on this game and Xbox One why coming in this thread, oh never mind most of GAF are doing this.

I am just as annoy as the next guy as far as BC on both consoles, but I never expect any of my old rig to work with my new rig. If you haven't get your money worth on CSR using it with Forza 3 / 4 and Horizons and even GT5 and any PC racers then wheel should not be your investment.

I just learned about this right before posting and found it hard to believe that they would opt to prevent one of the best wheels on the market from working with the system. But way to be a condescending prick about a legitimate issue. It's hardly unreasonable to expect that a premium wheel investment should last longer than 2 years.

You seem to be so avid in your defense of Microsoft that you're blind to simple logic. If you never expect that any of your old rig will work with your new rig, then perhaps you'll be pleased to know that the CSR Elite will continue to function on the PS4...

Top Bottom