• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

SarBear

Love the sluggishness if the muscle cars and the in dash engine sounds. Was that SUBTLE lighting I saw on Road Atlanta? Impossible lol

MaDKaT

If anyone is in Austin, TX they can play the game at the McLaren booth at FanFest for F1. I dont know the specifics of the demo. Had the MP4 and some town course. Looked pretty sharp but I didnt stay to play.

Even with the shitty gamespot video compression, both tracks look stunning.
I like the many details in the background. Let day 1 come soon.

Hawk269

Not sure if this was posted...but MS has started Forza 5 specific commercials in the U.S.

Was just watching some T.V. and heard the Xbox Logo theme, looked up from the lap top and it was a 100% only Forza 5 commercial! Commercial had the "in-game footage" footnote throughout. Hype rising!

Hawk269

Was just thinking that the way I understand it, the Drivatar function will download any files from friends on your list. Since this is a dedicated Forza 5 thread, it would be fun to not only play each other on-line, but when in single player, it would be fun to drive against some your drivatars.

So feel free to send me a FR. Gamertag is: Hawk269

SegaShack

I'm getting an X1 and am in to racing games like Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, CTR, and Mario Kart. Do you guys think I would have fun with this game? I really like the speed and feel of Sonic Transformed in particular. The visuals in this game look stunning. For someone who isn't an expert on cars and likes arcade style games, would this be fun?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm getting an X1 and am in to racing games like Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, CTR, and Mario Kart. Do you guys think I would have fun with this game? I really like the speed and feel of Sonic Transformed in particular. The visuals in this game look stunning. For someone who isn't an expert on cars and likes arcade style games, would this be fun?

i cant imagine it would be fun if you go in wanting super arcade racing. the fun, imo, is all in car control with the assists off. hopefully there will be a demo - spend some time with it with little to no assists trying to keep the car under control. dont even worry about how fast you are going or how you are doing. have fun mastering the cars. if this is appealing to you, buy the game. wouldnt think anyone would have much fun playing with all assist on.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

your best bet would be NFS Rivals.

kyo27

How old is the build that demo's at the MS have? It looks fine but i really hope the jaggies are not there for the final build. What are the chances the jaggies are gone?

I was a bit disappointed in the visuals when I tried it at the MS store especially the jaggies. I'm not expecting any major difference when I get the game on Friday, but I am hoping they polished it up at least a little bit. And it seemed like the TV at the store was set to vivid, so that may have made things seem worse than they were as well.

RoKKeR

You'd probably be better of with NFS Rivals. The fun in Forza comes from the challenge of mastering cars, tracks, etc. It's by no means arcade, but with assists on it can be pretty forgiving.

I'm not a hardcore racing sim fan or anything but I love cars and enjoy racing, so I really enjoy Forza because it's challenging enough while remaining fun.

SegaShack

i cant imagine it would be fun if you go in wanting super arcade racing. the fun, imo, is all in car control with the assists off. hopefully there will be a demo - spend some time with it with little to no assists trying to keep the car under control. dont even worry about how fast you are going or how you are doing. have fun mastering the cars. if this is appealing to you, buy the game. wouldnt think anyone would have much fun playing with all assist on.

I didn't realize there would be a demo, I'll definitely check it out. So the appeal is being able to handle each car and its different quirks? Interesting.

your best bet would be NFS Rivals.

This one does look really cool, many say it's one of the best PS4 launch titles as well. I'll check out the reviews for it. Thanks.

op_ivy

I didn't realize there would be a demo, I'll definitely check it out. So the appeal is being able to handle each car and its different quirks? Interesting.

This one does look really cool, many say it's one of the best PS4 launch titles as well. I'll check out the reviews for it. Thanks.

i would imagine there will be a demo. and yeah, i cant recommend a game like this other then learning to tame the beasts. thats fun in itself to me. its gotta be so clinical with all assists on that i cant imagine there would be much fun, especially if you arent a car guy too.

wait for a demo, or try it at a demo station at a retailer before buying. give it some legit time with assists off trying to balance throttle and brake. if you arent having any fun, but nfs instead.

:)

SegaShack

i would imagine there will be a demo. and yeah, i cant recommend a game like this other then learning to tame the beasts. thats fun in itself to me. its gotta be so clinical with all assists on that i cant imagine there would be much fun, especially if you arent a car guy too.

wait for a demo, or try it at a demo station at a retailer before buying. give it some legit time with assists off trying to balance throttle and brake. if you arent having any fun, but nfs instead.

:)

Yes I will definitely make sure to do no assists. I appreciate the info, I had no idea that the fun comes from mastering vehicles, it's an interesting concept for sure. I guess it's like real life driving a car you aren't used to feels completely different. Never played a game like this before so at least when I demo it it will be a new experience.

NFS does seem more up my alley but I will give Forza a shot.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

What is your hero car? Do you aspire to own and drive anything in particular or are they "just cars" to you? The answers to these questions will dictate if you should buy Forza or the next Mario Kart.

acksman

Can't wait to get my hands on the 2013 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 to see how close it is to the real thing. So many cars to drive so little time.

Yes I will definitely make sure to do no assists. I appreciate the info, I had no idea that the fun comes from mastering vehicles, it's an interesting concept for sure. I guess it's like real life driving a car you aren't used to feels completely different. Never played a game like this before so at least when I demo it it will be a new experience.

NFS does seem more up my alley but I will give Forza a shot.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

Worst case scenario you can buy/make some Mario liverys and have some fun.

hood.jpg

College Zack

Neo Member
For you Forza fans, how do you prefer to play? Is it mandatory to have a steering wheel or do the diehards use just a controller? How do you get the best experience from the game?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
For you Forza fans, how do you prefer to play? Is it mandatory to have a steering wheel or do the diehards use just a controller? How do you get the best experience from the game?

I had a really amazing wheel but switched back to controller last time. With the new triggers and my laziness and Forza's controls, I have no problems at all saying controller. But I am more arcade and car pron than sim.

op_ivy

not at all mando, but definitely preferred. forza with a wheel is so much fun. with a pad i get bored.

I do both.

Wheel is great for immersion, but I still have fun sprawled out on the couch with a controller.

btags

Best experience definitely comes from a wheel with good force feedback, but using a controller is fine.

College Zack

Neo Member
I definitely want to pick it up Day One. I've never been big on racing sims, mostly just NFS:Underground (if you consider that a sim). It just looks too incredible to pass up.

I wanted to make sure it was enjoyable without the wheel. Maybe if I fall in love, I'll invest in a nice one.

saladine1

New direct-feed videos from Gamespot:

Finally, the V8 Supercar sounds so much better. The 'bang' of gear shifts was missing in FM4 but has been included in FM5.
Love the new cockpit filters. FM4 cockpit sounds were too loud and aggressive for stock cars. It sounds SO MUCH better this time around.

Great job!

SegaShack

What is your hero car? Do you aspire to own and drive anything in particular or are they "just cars" to you? The answers to these questions will dictate if you should buy Forza or the next Mario Kart.

I'm not really sure what a hero car is, but one that I really like the look of is the Jaguar F-Type. I haven't looked into cars too much but I saw one of these on a magazine cover a while back and it just looked really cool to me. I have seen many cars before but this one stood out for me.

Cars aren't "just cars" to me but I'm a college student and am driving a blue Yaris Sedan. Not a cool looking car, not roomy, but it was what I could afford. One day I will have a cool car that has a lot of room.

I also really like a lot of the past and present James Bond vehicles but I don't know the names of them.

Well when it comes to that series I'm definitely more into Mario Kart DS and earlier, the other ones were all way too easy for me and not as skill based as they should have been. Sonic Racing on the other hand is for pros and goes way faster :). Something that just dawned on me, as a child I used to play this game Test Drive 4 that I really liked, not sure if Forza is similar to that at all, really cool locations from around the world and lots of variety between tracks. Also, insanely good techno music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_kzXHZkio

Worst case scenario you can buy/make some Mario liverys and have some fun.

I had no idea about the customization, very cool. Console wars people will not approve though!
I like all the systems.

op_ivy

and now there are actual materials to paint with. fancy a wood ferrari?

Well when it comes to that series I'm definitely more into Mario Kart DS and earlier, the other ones were all way too easy for me and not as skill based as they should have been. Sonic Racing on the other hand is for pros and goes way faster :). Something that just dawned on me, as a child I used to play this game Test Drive 4 that I really liked, not sure if Forza is similar to that at all, really cool locations from around the world and lots of variety between tracks. Also, insanely good techno music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_kzXHZkio
Give FM5 a go but Forza Horizon might be better for you when the next one comes around.

Mascot

What's more disappointing is had they not mentioned going back and laser scanning nobody would have said a thing, it's a damn lie but they seem to be sticking to it.

Begs the question why cut other tracks if all they are doing is tarting them up with crowds and lighting?

Chance of seeing a redone Nurburgring is very low, I'm no fan of it but I believe they'd have the cheek to try and sell the old one back to us.

Just a thought, but maybe (due to time constraints) some of the tracks that ship with the game are quick placeholder reskins, and fully reworked/laser scanned tracks will be released later once they are finished?

Daffy Duck

Does anyone know if we'll be getting the star in a reasonably priced car stuff again on the top gear test track?

Loved that in 4.

What's more disappointing is had they not mentioned going back and laser scanning nobody would have said a thing, it's a damn lie but they seem to be sticking to it.

Begs the question why cut other tracks if all they are doing is tarting them up with crowds and lighting?

Chance of seeing a redone Nurburgring is very low, I'm no fan of it but I believe they'd have the cheek to try and sell the old one back to us.

Yeah, and somehow they choose some of the most inaccurate tracks -- some have been around since FM2. Why not use Hockenheimring, Indianapolis or Infineon? The things T10 says just don't add up.

As much as I think it's in bad order for T10 to be basically lying to us about cars/tracks and other things. I think it's fair to give them some slack. I'm sure if they had it their way they wouldn't be launching day and date with the Xbox one. All of that added pressure to make sure they release at launch isn't good for a dev.

So I'm sure from the very begining they were trying to find ways to save themselves the headaches of doing things from scratch. So what they reused a lot of assets from FM4. As long as the gameplay is good and it's not a steaming pile of crap this gives them time to make an even better FM6.

As much as I think it's in bad order for T10 to be basically lying to us about cars/tracks and other things. I think it's fair to give them some slack. I'm sure if they had it their way they wouldn't be launching day and date with the Xbox one. All of that added pressure to make sure they release at launch isn't good for a dev.

So I'm sure from the very begining they were trying to find ways to save themselves the headaches of doing things from scratch. So what they reused a lot of assets from FM4. As long as the gameplay is good and it's not a steaming pile of crap this gives them time to make an even better FM6.

That's the thing, nobody is giving T10 crap for reusing assets. The problem is saying you're doing everything from scratch (and using it as a excuse to cut a lot of content) when it's obviously a lie.

Mascot

I just learned about this right before posting and found it hard to believe that they would opt to prevent one of the best wheels on the market from working with the system. But way to be a condescending prick about a legitimate issue. It's hardly unreasonable to expect that a premium wheel investment should last longer than 2 years.

You seem to be so avid in your defense of Microsoft that you're blind to simple logic. If you never expect that any of your old rig will work with your new rig, then perhaps you'll be pleased to know that the CSR Elite will continue to function on the PS4...

This is interesting. As a member of NeoGAF you're probably far more tuned in to videogaming news and developments that the average gamer, yet the news about legacy support for old hardware - specifically racing wheels in this case - remained hidden from you through no fault of your own and despite exposure to this forum. It really makes me wonder just how many people are buying Xbones (and PS4s) expecting their old wheels, fight sticks, third-party joypads etc to work with their new hardware. I bet there's going to be a whole host of shocked and angry people next week when they realise their expensive racing rigs are now redundant and they need to go back to racing with a joypad, or face spunking even more money updating their hardware. I've got friends with 360s and PS3s who don't frequent gaming forums and are buying into next gen without really knowing what they are getting apart from what they've seen in TV adverts.

Daffy Duck

Boggles the mind people who frequent a site such as this are unaware old peripherals will not work.

It's been known for a long time.

Top Bottom