• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Gestault

Forza 5 is still the best racing experience this gen IMO.
I'm not talking about number of cars, or tracks or graphics, I mean in terms of how fun it is to actually race around against other racers.

Looks like they are addressing all of the issues people had with 5 and if that's the case then we are going to end up with an absolutely brilliant game. Can't wait.

I'm really inclined to agree. Some other releases have been interesting in their own ways, but the quality behind the experience in 5 still stands out for me, even coming up on two years after the fact.

I skipped project cars for this, sounding good so far

Yeah, same. I wanted to get it, but at this point, dunno when I'll ever play it.

This would be the equivalent of skipping out of Call of Duty if Battlefield was coming out in 6 months later. If you weren't going to buy PCars because another game in the same genre is coming out near the end of the year, odds are you weren't interested in PCars to begin with or racers in general.

Gestault

This would be the equivalent of skipping out of Call of Duty if Battlefield was coming out in 6 months later. If you weren't going to buy PCars because another game in the same genre is coming out near the end of the year, odds are you weren't interested in PCars to begin with or racers in general.

As someone who did grab Project Cars in the mean-time, they may have made the right decision by waiting. At least until the patching comes a bit further.

Bessy67

I really want to know how they're going to handle spectators this time around.
Kinda hoping they stick with the cardboard cutouts. What's the point of wasting resources to render a 3d crowd when you're racing past at 150mph and can't see them anyways?

OrangeOak

Guys...imagine if the graphics jump is like it was FM2 -> FM3. Oo

It would be great but I think Forza 5 looks already really good for launch title unlike Forza 2 that was really disappointing when it comes to the graphics.
It will be a little harder to make same jump IMO.
I would love to be proven wrong though.

We barely know enough about it to even criticize it and you're implying that I need to defend it?

SoNbQ3Z.gif

People are really grasping at straws if they think DX12 will have no positive impact at all on the Xbox One... You even have programmers that have already made games for the system saying otherwise, that it will help, and still people continue to pretend they know better. No, DX12 won't magically transform the Xbox One into a whole other system or make every game 1080p. In fact, I expect the resolution situation to be mostly the same as it is now, varying from game to game. However, I do expect it will end up leading to even better, more stable performance at existing resolutions, which will mean devs should be able to do a little bit more with their games thanks to the improved efficiency. Even if that "little bit more" simply means more stable performance without the addition of more graphics features, that'll be more than enough.

I know what people will say "Developers already have lower level access to the hardware on the Xbox One, and that's where DX12's gains on PC are coming from. Plus the Xbox One already has access to some DX 12 features." Therein, I think, is where the greatest confusion is coming from. Yes, Xbox One has access to some DX12 features, but it doesn't have complete access just yet. And while Xbox One, like all other consoles, may have much less API overhead to deal with than PCs traditionally, DX12 is much more than just a simple "closer to the metal" reduction in API overhead that is seen on consoles. The reason why "console like efficiency" comes up so often in the discussions regarding DX12 is simply because it's the easiest way for Microsoft and other companies to communicate the benefits to people, but it's still a bit of a gross oversimplification of what DX12 is actually doing based on how I've seen it explained. DX12 and APIs like Mantle are able to make much better use of multiple CPU cores than previous APIs did, and that includes console APIs as well, too. And it's a better way to talk to more modern GPUs as well. It isn't just a PC thing. It's very much also a DX12 thing, and the Xbox One has the right hardware to benefit from it, even if those gains aren't quite as monumental as what will be seen on PC for a variety of reasons.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Hope there's double the amount and they're even flatter!

They're all Dan now, of course each one has a different amount of beard.

I think it would be cool to have a community run project to have actual fans in the game as spectators, that would be one cool part of doing 2D crowds.

Gestault

Hope there's double the amount and they're even flatter!

Assuming the new solution is graceful, I want there to be optional 2D crowd DLC.

On a totally serious note though, the complaints about the crowds felt overstated to me, especially since similar games arriving well after-the-fact still used that approach, and if anything, the crowds looked really good in gameplay.

I really want to know how they're going to handle spectators this time around.

I'm hoping they get rid of them altogether, they really don't add anything to the racing experience anyway imo. I would prefer clean scenery instead. The less spectators, billboards, advertisements, logos, etc alongside the track the better.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Forza news always gets me all sorts of excited, I'm rabid right now. I want moooooar

Goat racing series imo.

I love you guys @T10

No it is not equivalent. And thats that.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Oh, I was. But it's funny how you assume things about people you don't know.

I mean, considering I am still going through F5 and FH2 (I just picked up a XBO) and playing Driveclub at the same time among other titles I have picked up. I just don't have the time for it at the present.

pixelation

Kinda hoping they stick with the cardboard cutouts. What's the point of wasting resources to render a 3d crowd when you're racing past at 150mph and can't see them anyways?

I always thought that it'd be best if they would just forgo them (if they're unable to render them convincingly enough), 2D crowds are to distracting to me because i like going around the track at a snails pace taking in the scenery and they stick out like a sore thumb. But i may the the only looney guy that does that.

jelly

I always thought that it'd be best if they would just forgo them (if they're unable to render them convincingly enough), 2D crowds are to distracting to me because i like going around the track at a snails pace taking in the scenery and they stick out like a sore thumb. But i may the the only looney guy that does that.

They should get rid of them and go for birds or something that gives a bit more life and isn't immediately fake looking.

pixelation

I'm hoping they get rid of them altogether, they really don't add anything to the racing experience anyway imo. I would prefer clean scenery instead. The less spectators, billboards, advertisements, logos, etc alongside the track the better.

Agreed.
They should get rid of them and go for birds or something that gives a bit more life and isn't immediately fake looking.

That's a good idea as well.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Oh my god.

Maybe an announcement this week then gameplay and talk at E3 like they did with Horizon 2.

FordGTGuy

Banned
FM6, GT7, PCars, Asseto Corsa.

It's a good time to be a console racing game fan.

Honestly trying to think of a better time to be a Sim racing fan on console... I can't.

It is a shame that PGR and TOCA are gone but at least their devs have helped pave the way for the great lineup we have now.

Forza Horizon, Driveclub, Gran Turismo, Project Cars, Forza Motorsport, Asseto Corsa, Dirt Rally, Mario Kart, RIDE, F1 series, Need For Speed, GRID, The Crew, MotoGP and iRacing; being a racing fan is so awesome right now!

People are really grasping at straws if they think DX12 will have no positive impact at all on the Xbox One...

People grasping a straw if they think that a 5% boost on paper will be noticable by any of us.

Like i said this DX12 talk in regards to the XboxOne gets really tiring and it only comes up from people who cant accept that Hardware for what it is.

Shin-Ra

Only on GAF would people want to see it fail with 50fps, rather than admit it was a typo.

Let's hope that holds up with these new inclusions.

Shame if performances first priority(which is what you want in a sim racer) takes a backseat because of all the whining for these checklist features.
I don't see how changeable track conditions are just checklist features as opposed to hitting x number of cars.

FordGTGuy

Banned
People grasping a straw if they think that a 5% boost on paper will be noticable by any of us.

Like i said this DX12 talk in regards to the XboxOne gets really tiring and it only comes up from people who cant accept that Hardware for what it is.

People down playing DX12 gets really tiring too.

Especially from people who seem to forget the difference between launch games and end of generation games last-gen.

NuKERxyz

Project cars and asseto corsa on the way, still Forza IS probably the Most complete racing game of all platforms.

Time for Turn 10 step up their game again.

Looks nice, but this E3 seems to be turning out kind of boring. It doesn't seem like there are many surprises left.

Forza was announced in January and has released every other year since 2005, I don't think there was much surprise to be had with a Forza game tbh. Some nice details in the OP but not really where I would aim any thoughts of a surprise

LoveCake

Always loved the Forza games, until the DLC went crazy.

More than 450 cars all immaculately recreated and customizable, and complete with working cockpits and full damage.

How many are behind a DLC paywall though, this is what has ruined the latter Forza games including Horizons.

I'm still working though DriveClub & CARS so i'm going to wait to hear more.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Always loved the Forza games, until the DLC went crazy.

How many are behind a DLC paywall though, this is what has ruined the latter Forza games including Horizons.

I'm still working though DriveClub & CARS so i'm going to wait to hear more.

Is this a joke?

What's wrong with the way they handled DLC?

Everyone gets to see the DLC and the price really is reasonable considering each car still costs less than a hotwheels car. I mean, if you're argument is that they have too much DLC then that's a pretty weak argument. It's almost like you're saying that continued support of a title over time is a bad thing. Remember that all three track DLC for Forza 5 is free and that every DLC pack for Horizon and Motorsport include a free car.

The idea of people thinking they hold back content in order to turn it into DLC is so silly to me.

singhr1

Oh my god.

Maybe an announcement this week then gameplay and talk at E3 like they did with Horizon 2.

Announce what? The game itself has been announced for 5 months and they've done multiple interviews. The only thing remaining is a gameplay trailer.

Top Bottom