• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

Hoje0308

Banned
As lucky as I am as a multiple console owner, Driveclub has spoiled me so bad that if it does not look at least as good as that...ill be dissapointed.....

I own both as well, and I love Driveclub. But, Forza is a sim running at double the framerate so any disappointment will only come from people like you continuing to make silly comparisons in a thread that has nothing to do with DC.

farisr

Still no dynamic ToD? Come on. Do they not understand how much having this feature can extend the life/playability/perceived value of a game. Especially for a circuit racer. Really hope this is some sort of translation error.

One thing I do like is that they actually list splitscreen as a feature. More games need to keep/have/do this. Lack of splitscreen was the most disappointing thing about driveclub for me.

Can't wait, day 1. I still remember buying the first Forza back in the day, I can't believe Forza 6 is coming. I honestly don't care whether the game has prebaked night or day lighting or a day night cycle, honestly for a racing sim I don't need the sun to rise and set within a 10 minute period anyway lol. I'm just excited that there is a day or night at all in Forza 6. I'm pumped and also laughing at all the people in this thread already looking for things to complain about, amazing.

maeh2k

I'm ready for a new mainline Forza. I played lots of Forza 2 when that came out -- one of my best online multiplayer experiences ever. Since then, I've played only the two Horizon games. Track racing over the same courses isn't something I need every year. Forza 5 was a bit too barebones for me.

Do you think "night racing" will only be available on certain tracks?

Also... if they don't have day/night cycle and are still on pre-baked lighting, any chance they put it some more times than just "day" and "night". A red sunset sky would be really nice.

30fps for non-pre-baked lighting and full day/night cycle as an OPTION would be cool too.

hawk2025

Yeah, if there's one thing I'm not worried about, it's the framerate.

Main points I'm looking forward to are:

- Massive improvements to Drivatar (I would argue they should drop it altogether, but I know it won't happen)

- Full time of day and weather transitions

But even "static" ToD and weather will be a great addition.

OrangeOak

Yeah, if there's one thing I'm not worried about, it's the framerate.

Main points I'm looking forward to are:

- Massive improvements to Drivatar (I would argue they should drop it altogether, but I know it won't happen)

- Full time of day and weather transitions

But even "static" ToD and weather will be a great addition.

What didn't you like about drivatars?
I thought that they made races much more interesting and dynamic.

Kacho

Sounds fantastic. Night and weather have been needed for forever. Looking forward to seeing it. Forza 5 was a disappointment for some reason, was never able to put my finger on it, so I'm hoping 6 is a return to form.

The 24 Hours LeMans and Daytona, Also other long endurance race events. Such as the 12 Hours of Sebring

Almost all the most epic ones? Even 6 or 4hr races result in a lot of change in light. A ton of the fun from time progression comes from turning it on for fun while practicing or online, though. Never mind it also being a great way to show off how gorgeous your game is. Sim-sims can give different performance at night from colder tyres but I wouldn't expect that out of something on the Forza/GT tier.

Once you experience full time/weather progression you will absolutely never go back and racers without it will feel naked. That said, it's still an improvement to have night/rain, so it's hard to complain here.

So 2 or 3 like I thought. Nice to have but not really necessary when, as I said, the extra horsepower can be used elsewhere, especially when there isn't a great deal to begin with. I'm just speculating anyway, it may have actual dynamic lighting.

And I have experienced it, I've been playing PC since the early 90's and used to be a sim nutcase!

Here's hoping the game is a big improvement over 5.

Its like you guys have no faith in ol' Steverulez!

screenshot2015-06-06ad7a6f.png

screenshot2015-06-06azkyo4.png

screenshot2015-06-06a93zgm.png

timlot

Banned
Dynamic TOD and weather only make sense in an open world racer like Forza Horizon 2, because you can be driving around for 10s of minutes or even hours. So TOD and dynamic weather matters. In a circuit racer not so much. As a matter of fact I find dramatic weather changes and TOD changes during a 5 minute race to be kind of cheesy after the first few time you see it.

VanWinkle

Awesome.

Dynamic TOD and weather only make sense in an open world racer like Forza Horizon 2, because you can be driving around for 10s of minutes or even hours. So TOD and dynamic weather matters. In a circuit racer not so much. As a matter of fact I find dramatic weather changes and TOD changes during a 5 minute race to be kind of cheesy after the first few time you see it.

Not really, as a fully dynamic TOD and weather allow you to play exactly how you want on single events. This way it won't just be day or night races. Unless they end up making like 10 time of day variables or something.

Gestault

Do you think "night racing" will only be available on certain tracks?

Also... if they don't have day/night cycle and are still on pre-baked lighting, any chance they put it some more times than just "day" and "night". A red sunset sky would be really nice.

30fps for non-pre-baked lighting and full day/night cycle as an OPTION would be cool too.

Unless the time of day is exagerrated many times over, pre-calculated shadows will look better than real-time for the same processing time. Assuming their real-time system for moving objects is handled well, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in a given scene, unless it's that pre-calculated may look better.

I like the idea of fully real-time environment shadows, but I get why it's a trade-off.

Pingoreous

So Microsoft in the first 2 years has manage to release 2 Forzas,1 Horizon and am here still waiting for just one Gran Turismo. It looks like i might be getting an Xbox One this year.

jaypah

So Microsoft in the first 2 years has manage to release 2 Forzas,1 Horizon and am here still waiting for just one Gran Turismo. It looks like i might be getting an Xbox One this year.

Good things come to those who wait. Or those who don't wait and buy an X1. Or those who game on PC. This gen has been GREAT for racing games. Racers are back, baby!!

What are you trying to say?

I think he's just saying they're both fanboys or whatever.

Pingoreous

Good things come to those who wait. Or those who don't wait and buy an X1. Or those who game on PC. This gen has been GREAT for racing games. Racers are back, baby!!

I think he's just saying they're both fanboys or whatever.

Am sure GT7 will be great but damn can they plan ahead better. At the earliest we might get GT7 on the PS4's 3rd year of release.They gonna announce it this E3 and release it Fall 2016.

_machine

Great news, I especially love the feeling of racing in the rain and it definitely should give a little burst of adrenaline into the series. Night racing too is an experience of it's own and it'll definitely help make the amount of tracks feel larger than it is because the racing is so much different. Would loved to see dynamic ToD, but hopefully it'll still give more options for customization than GT6 does (meaning all tracks have night/rain). I have no doubt it's going to be stunning too, T10 can definitely produce one of the best visual of the console.

For me though, the wheel support could be the thing that decides whether to get the console or not. I would absolutely love to get F6 and Horizon 2 (as well as some of the other exclusives), but I might go with the G29 wheel which could lock me out of a wheel for the console, but we'll have to see. For now, pCARS, AC and GT6 are satisfying my racing needs, but I shall keep an eye on F6.

jaypah

Am sure GT7 will be great but damn can they plan ahead better. At the earliest we might get GT7 on the PS4's 3rd year of release.They gonna announce it this E3 and release it Fall 2016.

Nah, I totally understand. I don't have an X1 so I am envious of the Forza series this gen. My PS4 and PC are holding steady but I'm going to crack eventually. Looking forwars to MS at E3.

thenameDS

So looking forward to this!! Weather, more cars and tracks. GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

Recently finished DriveClub and the DLC it's absolutely fantastic and beautiful but for me Forza is still my favourite racer, the driving just feels much better. Unfortunately it looks like my PCars copy will remain sealed.

farisr

Awesome.

Not really, as a fully dynamic TOD and weather allow you to play exactly how you want on single events. This way it won't just be day or night races. Unless they end up making like 10 time of day variables or something.

Also, I'd argue it makes more sense in a game like this compared to open world. The courses are static enough, course fatigue can set in (and it only gets worse for these sims due to the majority of tracks being real-life tracks). The dynamic ToD can greatly alleviate that.

Though I do get why some Forza fans won't be able to see it, they've been dealing with the static courses/lighting for 5 games now, I personally didn't get what a great feature it was till GT5 did it. It became a must have for me after that. (not saying that everyone will feel this way, there are all types of folk out there, and some can be perfectly content with static lighting even after playing another game with dynamic)

Basically GT and Driveclub have spoiled me for ToD, in almost the same way that Forza spoiled me in regards to customization.

JimiNutz

Banned
Forza 5 is still the best racing experience this gen IMO.
I'm not talking about number of cars, or tracks or graphics, I mean in terms of how fun it is to actually race around against other racers.

Looks like they are addressing all of the issues people had with 5 and if that's the case then we are going to end up with an absolutely brilliant game. Can't wait.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Nobody's doubting this 'leak' then..?

It was leaked by an official source, Turn 10 has confirmed that it's 1080p 60fps while contacted about the leaks 50 fps and finally the leak included images that are watermarked FPO and confirm the leaked information.

I'm gonna laugh if the leak is inaccurate, and they don't have some of these features.

Why would you laugh?

Top Bottom