• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 8 details by Creative Director Chris Esaki

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Agreed. Don't need a driving sim at launch. Save it for the following spring a la Gran Turismo 3.

Agreed they should take the extra time to make it good, but hopefully it doesn't turn into GT Sport......4 years is way too long.

Ms have been making 6 forza game for the last 7 year

I think i had enough for now ( i bought FM5, FH2 and FH3 )
Turn 10's last Motorsport game was in Oct 2017, which means we're coming up on 3 years. There's actually a possibility that Horizon 4 and Motorsport 8 could happen in the same year if Playground sticks to their two-year cycle.

Forza Horizon is not the same as the Motorsport series nor is it developed by the same studio. The Forza in the Forza Horizon name is there because the Horizon series shares car licensing deals with the Motorsport series as well as the underpinnings for the physics engine. Originally this was also under contract between Xbox Game Studios and Playground Games. XGS didn't announce acquiring PG until E3 in 2018, a few months before Horizon 4 launched.

Horizon plays more like Project Gotham Racing, being a bit closer to realistic than a typical arcade racer, but more forgiving to play than the Motorsport series. One is a straight up arcade racer including racing up mountains and off cliffs, against jets and trains. The other is more sim-based track racer. You can love one and dislike the other as despite their shared core they play differently.

I would prefer not to have a stripped-down Motorsport like FM5 was with it's low car and track count, or a game in the condition FM7 was in at launch. Hopefully if it is a launch title, the 3+ years they had for this one was put to good use and the game checks all the boxes fans have been asking of the series for so long.

As long as the game is done well, I'd take one Horizon and one Motorsport game a year. There aren't enough racing games as it is.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Agreed they should take the extra time to make it good, but hopefully it doesn't turn into GT Sport......4 years is way too long.

I mean first time in history they are using 3year development time instead of 2.
This will be a lunch title and they specifically took extra year for that.

FM7 had some issues but it had nearly 1000 cars. I don't expect 1000 this time since it is next gen jump but i would love to see at least 200-250.

The biggest change should be simulation model. FM7 got really close to good sim racing and was just step away from getting to GTsport level. With this installment i really hope they will finally nail down simulation and resolve all their issues with force feedback and wheels.

LokusAbriss

Can‘t wait for the reveal. I own ever FM and Horizon game. I hope they will improve on the base of FM7. Especially in the lighting area.

I think what they did wrong going through 2-7, is the rework of the games structure with every version. They dropped a certain feature or added something confusing here and there. My hope is that they kept improving every feature of FM7 and not a total rework again. Prople need to feel at home and not be confused by totally different menu structures and features. The base needs to be solid. Phsyics, graphics, multiplayer, career, leaderboards and painting. Everything else should be added around that and no feature should be in your face, because they think it is their greatest idea in a long time.

scalman

they will be back into every year game after next gen version releases. that was perfect gap . Hope they will go for real next gen engine , not resolution crap there.

Last edited:

skneogaf

I still believe forza motorsport should just be one product and keep having updates and dlc. Season passes would be ideal for such a game.

In fact release forza motorsport for free with 4 cars and 1 track at the start of xbox series ☓ and keep adding content.

Games like forza, gran turismo and fifa would benefit massively from this way with season passes and individual dlc available, that way every plays the one game so online is full!

GHG

I still believe forza motorsport should just be one product and keep having updates and dlc. Season passes would be ideal for such a game.

In fact release forza motorsport for free with 4 cars and 1 track at the start of xbox series ☓ and keep adding content.

Games like forza, gran turismo and fifa would benefit massively from this way with season passes and individual dlc available, that way every plays the one game so online is full!

I agree with this.

New tracks should be free for everyone to avoid fragmentation, cars can be paid DLC.

One single game that gets built on for the rest of time.

Ms have been making 6 forza game for the last 7 year

I think i had enough for now ( i bought FM5, FH2 and FH3 )

you mean 1 racing game per generation like sony do is better for racing fans than a great sim racer package on the market and a best arcade racer on the market every 2-3 years?

for me it's great fan servic....

and was sony has done this generation for racing fans is disgraceful..........

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I agree with this.

New tracks should be free for everyone to avoid fragmentation, cars can be paid DLC.

One single game that gets built on for the rest of time.
They dont have any MTX, even Gran Turismo Sport has that. How will they monetise an online game that receives content updates for free ?

Bernkastel

There are solid alternatives to FM, there are no good alternatives to FH tbh
Its only alternative would be Gran Turismo(Playstation exclusive) and Assetto Corsa(PC focused, Releases on PC first). No way will Microsoft abandon Forza Motorsport.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Turn 10's last Motorsport game was in Oct 2017, which means we're coming up on 3 years. There's actually a possibility that Horizon 4 and Motorsport 8 could happen in the same year if Playground sticks to their two-year cycle.

Forza Horizon is not the same as the Motorsport series nor is it developed by the same studio. The Forza in the Forza Horizon name is there because the Horizon series shares car licensing deals with the Motorsport series as well as the underpinnings for the physics engine. Originally this was also under contract between Xbox Game Studios and Playground Games. XGS didn't announce acquiring PG until E3 in 2018, a few months before Horizon 4 launched.

Horizon plays more like Project Gotham Racing, being a bit closer to realistic than a typical arcade racer, but more forgiving to play than the Motorsport series. One is a straight up arcade racer including racing up mountains and off cliffs, against jets and trains. The other is more sim-based track racer. You can love one and dislike the other as despite their shared core they play differently.

I would prefer not to have a stripped-down Motorsport like FM5 was with it's low car and track count, or a game in the condition FM7 was in at launch. Hopefully if it is a launch title, the 3+ years they had for this one was put to good use and the game checks all the boxes fans have been asking of the series for so long.

As long as the game is done well, I'd take one Horizon and one Motorsport game a year. There aren't enough racing games as it is.

Playground is taking the same three year cycle now. They have to wait for the engine to be ready. FH5 will come in fall 2021.

TheMan

Kind of excited? Maybe I'm an idiot but I have my doubts that all of this additional physics computation above what we have now will make a huge difference in how the game actually plays. Basically what I expect is more of the same with better graphics, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not very exciting.

One things they NEED to include is the ability to make our own lobbies. PLEASE.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Wrong, Turn 10 is responsible for loads of Horizon. The engine, the cars, the sounds, the physics, the network code, all Turn 10.
Playground uses the Engine tech, Physics and Car models Turn 10 uses for Motorsport. They dont actively work on Horizon series. But all this new tech for Forza Motorsport 8 will also show up on Forza Horizon 5.

GHG

They dont have any MTX, even Gran Turismo Sport has that. How will they monetise an online game that receives content updates for free ?

I literally said how they can monetise the game going forwards in my post. It's not that complicated.

It doesn't even change anything considering how they've monetised previous Forza games.

Last edited:

GHG

Kinda off topic. Is PC2 any good?

It's ok.

If all you've ever experienced is Forza/GT then it will feel like a big step up in terms of realism but if you've experienced Assetto Corsa (+competizione), Raceroom, iracing, Automobilista then it's a step down from those titles due to the handling model and FFB.

If you're on PC I'd recommend getting Automobilista 2 over PCars 2. Same engine so it has all the features (weather, seasons etc), great performance and graphics that PCars 2 has but the handling model and FFB is on a different planet entirely.

Playground is taking the same three year cycle now. They have to wait for the engine to be ready. FH5 will come in fall 2021.

Actually glad to hear that, I hadn't read it anywhere. I'll look that up.

Playground built the first Horizon in 2 years from nothing with a small team. I can't wait to see what they build with the massive team they are running now and an entire extra year.

I skipped 7. Always meant to pick it up down the line sometimes but two things stopped me.

One, it never goes on sale it seems. At least not to a price I'd jump in at.

Second, Horizon 4 is too goddamn good. Doesn't seem like I need another racing game for now.

Wrong, Turn 10 is responsible for loads of Horizon. The engine, the cars, the sounds, the physics, the network code, all Turn 10.

Correct--there was a piece some time ago about how the Turn 10 folks were going through for Forza 6 and capturing 8K imaging and HD Audio for all of the cars in that game so they could use it for future Forza and Horizon games going forward. The next year, Sony followed suit with their own video detailing the same process for the GT devs.

Actually glad to hear that, I hadn't read it anywhere. I'll look that up.

Playground built the first Horizon in 2 years from nothing with a small team. I can't wait to see what they build with the massive team they are running now and an entire extra year.

Playground also has non-Forza Horizon games to make now, like the new Fable game. So the break serves multiple purposes.

I skipped 7. Always meant to pick it up down the line sometimes but two things stopped me.

One, it never goes on sale it seems. At least not to a price I'd jump in at.

Second, Horizon 4 is too goddamn good. Doesn't seem like I need another racing game for now.

But don't you, you know, miss being able to actually race in Horizon 4? No time trials, no recorded times, heck, it doesn't even save where you finish in a race.

I have had a little fun playing it but, man, to say there's no other racer needed is just crazy to me. Horizon 4 doesn't care what times you get, what car you use, whether you come first or last, it's all just 'ok cool, carry on'.

Reactions: GHG
Playground also has non-Forza Horizon games to make now, like the new Fable game. So the break serves multiple purposes.

They have separate teams for each of their current projects located in separate buildings in Leamington. They have a team to cover the Horizon games, then fired up another team with new staff in 2017 for the open world adventure game so one game's schedule shouldn't have much of an effect on the other as each team will be suited to the project their studio is making. They went on another hiring spree last fall for car modelers for the 1st studio and are still actively hiring in several departments. The studio was at 200+ people in 2017 and I believe they are north of 250 now.

I imagine the shift to the 3-year cycle is to better accommodate the frequency and size of the updates to the current game on the market alongside working on the new title. Horizon 4's car count has ballooned up to over 650 cars, two large map expansions, several story mode updates, the Eliminator, constant seasonal updates and gameplay updates.

But don't you, you know, miss being able to actually race in Horizon 4? No time trials, no recorded times, heck, it doesn't even save where you finish in a race.

I have had a little fun playing it but, man, to say there's no other racer needed is just crazy to me. Horizon 4 doesn't care what times you get, what car you use, whether you come first or last, it's all just 'ok cool, carry on'.

I don't disagree that I wouldn't want Horizon to be the only racing game available, but if I had to do the "desert island" scenario, Horizon 4 would be right up there on my list. There's plenty of racing in the game in it's various event types. Circuit, point to point, street, one-on-one street, championships, online modes, etc. It's always updated too which is why I haven't escaped it after almost two years :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In single races it'll just pay out an amount based on your placement and push you back to the open world. It keeps track of your placements in championships and events to tally up your placement score in those. Your placement affects your rewards in Ranked Adventure as well which can be played in teams or solo.

Horizon does have time trials in rivals mode, it keeps track of lap times or point-to-point times and locks the season, weather and time to summer/clear/noon for consistency. It also has a penalty system for wall riders and extreme track cutters. It's not as comprehensive as some time trial setups including sectors, but does include every car class and is available on every track in the game including the expansions and the showcase event races. You can also chose a Rivals Challenge event at each event with a preset season and car. There is the Monthly Rivals event located in the Festival Playlist.

Circuit
iaKP4Zl.jpg

Point to Point
eZ9Ocpc.jpg

Last edited:
They have separate teams for each of their current projects located in separate buildings in Leamington. They have a team to cover the Horizon games, then fired up another team with new staff in 2017 for the open world adventure game so one game's schedule shouldn't have much of an effect on the other as each team will be suited to the project their studio is making. They went on another hiring spree last fall for car modelers for the 1st studio and are still actively hiring in several departments. The studio was at 200+ people in 2017 and I believe they are north of 250 now.

I imagine the shift to the 3-year cycle is to better accommodate the frequency and size of the updates to the current game on the market alongside working on the new title. Horizon 4's car count has ballooned up to over 650 cars, two large map expansions, several story mode updates, the Eliminator, constant seasonal updates and gameplay updates.

I don't disagree that I wouldn't want Horizon to be the only racing game available, but if I had to do the "desert island" scenario, Horizon 4 would be right up there on my list. There's plenty of racing in the game in it's various event types. Circuit, point to point, street, one-on-one street, championships, online modes, etc. It's always updated too which is why I haven't escaped it after almost two years :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In single races it'll just pay out an amount based on your placement and push you back to the open world. It keeps track of your placements in championships and events to tally up your placement score in those. Your placement affects your rewards in Ranked Adventure as well which can be played in teams or solo.

Horizon does have time trials in rivals mode, it keeps track of lap times or point-to-point times and locks the season, weather and time to summer/clear/noon for consistency. It also has a penalty system for wall riders and extreme track cutters. It's not as comprehensive as some time trial setups including sectors, but does include every car class and is available on every track in the game including the expansions and the showcase event races. You can also chose a Rivals Challenge event at each event with a preset season and car. There is the Monthly Rivals event located in the Festival Playlist.

Circuit
iaKP4Zl.jpg

Point to Point
eZ9Ocpc.jpg

To be fair, when I play the game I usually have good time, I just need to stop wishing it was also something that it's not. It is a well made game, no doubt and it looks incredible. I played for an hour today and really enjoyed it.

I'm nearly at Spring and I haven't seen a Championship yet? Am I missing something? Also not checked out rivals and dunno anything about ranked adventure, whatever that is? I haven't yet unlocked Forzathon either which seems to be taking a while to unlock.

Fox Mulder

I’m not a fan of the direction the series went and prefer the older Horizons that had progression and focus. Driveclub is my favorite arcade racing game this generation because of the challenging solo content.

FH4 is still an amazing looking game with an unrivaled car lineup. It is approachable fun for all kinds of players. It’s successful in a dying genre and stands above anything else that tries to be like it.

Bernkastel

Birdo

Banned
"Connection really is at the heart of this generation of Forza"

Oh no........ alarm bells ringing. It's going to be online focused, isn't it.

LostDonkey

How long did you play it for? 30 seconds?

It has all those things.

LokusAbriss

"Connection really is at the heart of this generation of Forza"

Oh no........ alarm bells ringing. It's going to be online focused, isn't it.
Maybe they want to revive the great community around the time when FM 2 & FM 3 hit. Those were the times with a huge community around Forza. With so many people creating designs and racing.

But I highly doubt that they can bring those times back. People were left behind, like the features they dropped from title to title. They didn‘t understood what brought people together back then. Public private lobbies, auction house, free sharing of cars/designs/setups.

They need to build a new foundation to keep for many years. And build on top of that, not changing direction at every turn. Maybe then they might succeed again.

Top Bottom