• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii) Pre-Order Bonus CD and Dual-Boxart

Shirokun said:
Could you explain without spoiling anything? Are you implying that the game was disappointing, or that the story was just that heavy? I've been mulling over this since it was first revealed.

I mean the story was depressing. I can't really call the game itself disappointing since I wasn't expecting much from the gameplay in the first place. If you want a good "game", I wouldn't recommend it but if you want a legitimately moving experience, then go for it.

Gave the music a listen... and it's nice... but kinda too melancholic to listen to on its own. I can see how it works great for the game itself, but it sounds way too depressing to listen to while doing art or something...

Probably won't end up buying it in the end. I'll give it another go. Might change my mind...

zigg

radiantdreamer said:
Gave the music a listen... and it's nice... but kinda too melancholic to listen to on its own. I can see how it works great for the game itself, but it sounds way too depressing to listen to while doing art or something...
Just wait till you have visual memories to go with...

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I just beat this game. It only took about 11 hours to finish. I wasn't in a rush either; I only missed about 3 memory items. And holy crap, the only other game that I've ever felt so polarized about was Flower Sun and Rain. I really wanted to love this game. The music was absolutely mesmerizing, the art direction was fantastic (I really love the skybox in this game), the story was moving for the most part (I'll touch on this later), the graphics were great and all in all, the game was just a pleasure to see and hear. It's just a shame that the game was an absolute chore to play through. The first half of the game wasn't too bad. Sure, the controls were really clunky and combat was for the most part, repetitive and terrible, but the story and the atmosphere was enough for me to trudge on through. Once you hit the second half of the game is where things start to go wrong. The environment became tedious with long stretches of corridors and hallways where you did absolutely nothing. The second half of the game focused more on combat which is really dumb on Tri-Crescendo's part since the combat system in this game was really poorly-implemented. It's like they followed "Bad Game Designs 101" down to the dot. And don't get me started on the back-tracking. The story did a complete 180 once it started to focus on
Shin and the Glass-Cage project
which is a shame because the game made it look like
Ren was going to be the focal point of the story when in reality, she hardly played any significant role in the plot besides playing the damsel in distress
. The only thing that stayed consistent in quality in the game were the memories. Some of them were really touching and unnerving and to be honest, finding them was the only reason I bothered to finish the second half of the game. And this is a downright shame too, because the atmosphere was just oozing with style in this game. Was the game worth playing? Absolutely. The game was moving and it left some poignant messages. But it's not a game I'd ever play through again. The actual gameplay itself was tedious, boring, and an absolute chore to play through. So for any Gaffers here still on the fence about the game, I'd say go for it. If you have the tolerance to trudge through really poor game mechanics, you'll be rewarded with a poignant and moving experience.

farnham

Banned
oh god this game is so awesome. the atmosphere the artstyle everything clicks with me.
the english voice acting is quite good as well. i was sucked in this game and played 3 hours straight now and i will probably try to finish it within this weekend

farnham

Banned
i love how the personal frame is jealous of seto looking for the silver haired girl. Expecting a man/machine relationship at this point. since i like the Personal frame im all for it at this point :lol :lol

farnham

Banned
i discovered that there is a japanese/english voice option

i started the game without knowing about this option so i played a part only in english. now i will probably finish the game in english and play it again in japanese because the english voice acting grew on me (it is really good imo)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Jangaroo said:
I just beat this game. It only took about 11 hours to finish. I wasn't in a rush either; I only missed about 3 memory items. And holy crap, the only other game that I've ever felt so polarized about was Flower Sun and Rain. I really wanted to love this game. The music was absolutely mesmerizing, the art direction was fantastic (I really love the skybox in this game), the story was moving for the most part (I'll touch on this later), the graphics were great and all in all, the game was just a pleasure to see and hear. It's just a shame that the game was an absolute chore to play through. The first half of the game wasn't too bad. Sure, the controls were really clunky and combat was for the most part, repetitive and terrible, but the story and the atmosphere was enough for me to trudge on through. Once you hit the second half of the game is where things start to go wrong. The environment became tedious with long stretches of corridors and hallways where you did absolutely nothing. The second half of the game focused more on combat which is really dumb on Tri-Crescendo's part since the combat system in this game was really poorly-implemented. It's like they followed "Bad Game Designs 101" down to the dot. And don't get me started on the back-tracking. The story did a complete 180 once it started to focus on
Shin and the Glass-Cage project
which is a shame because the game made it look like
Ren was going to be the focal point of the story when in reality, she hardly played any significant role in the plot besides playing the damsel in distress
. The only thing that stayed consistent in quality in the game were the memories. Some of them were really touching and unnerving and to be honest, finding them was the only reason I bothered to finish the second half of the game. And this is a downright shame too, because the atmosphere was just oozing with style in this game. Was the game worth playing? Absolutely. The game was moving and it left some poignant messages. But it's not a game I'd ever play through again. The actual gameplay itself was tedious, boring, and an absolute chore to play through. So for any Gaffers here still on the fence about the game, I'd say go for it. If you have the tolerance to trudge through really poor game mechanics, you'll be rewarded with a poignant and moving experience.

100% agreed.

farnham

Banned
farnham said:
i love how the personal frame is jealous of seto looking for the silver haired girl. Expecting a man/machine relationship at this point. since i like the Personal frame im all for it at this point :lol :lol
OMG the PF died... it just died.. now i feel truly lonely :<

This is what I'm finding with this game:

Oh I can start a fire here.

*save*

Hmm... maybe I'll do this next thing first before calling it quits.

*resume*

Rinse repeat.

So good.

Is it just me? Or is there much less music in the game than what the soundtracks seem to imply? I've heard all of like 5 songs up to the
amusement park
area.

Just beat the game.

I'll just get this one point out of the way. The main enemy was an emo bitch.

Alright, now that that's out of the way, one part that kind of confused me. Event Movie 37, where the narrator talks about traveling together, and after some years, he's alone again. He dies alone.

Then after that Event Movie 38 kicks in. That's where Seto and Ren leave together looking for survivors.

So 37 is just a premonition clip about what's going to happen later. But the only other clip comes right after that, where they look for survivors. Shouldn't those two clips have been reversed?

38 taken in and of itself leaves them with some hope, but then you remember that the clip just prior dashes that hope and Seto dies alone.

That's just fucked up. Anyway, I think those two movies should have been reversed to give the story the last bit of linearity.

It's also pretty depressing that Ren is the only alive person Seto meets during the game.

And if they're truly the last two people alive, what would Shin's plan accomplish?

SlipperySlope said:
Just beat the game.

I'll just get this one point out of the way. The main enemy was an emo bitch.

Alright, now that that's out of the way, one part that kind of confused me. Event Movie 37, where the narrator talks about traveling together, and after some years, he's alone again. He dies alone.

Then after that Event Movie 38 kicks in. That's where Seto and Ren leave together looking for survivors.

So 37 is just a premonition clip about what's going to happen later. But the only other clip comes right after that, where they look for survivors. Shouldn't those two clips have been reversed?

38 taken in and of itself leaves them with some hope, but then you remember that the clip just prior dashes that hope and Seto dies alone.

That's just fucked up. Anyway, I think those two movies should have been reversed to give the story the last bit of linearity.

It's also pretty depressing that Ren is the only alive person Seto meets during the game.

And if they're truly the last two people alive, what would Shin's plan accomplish?

I'm kind of torn on that. On one hand,
it's a total dick move finding out there would be no happy ending just as you started to get your hopes up. It's also a bit of a motivation killer happening prior to the final boss.

On the other hand, the fact all we get is one simple sentence about the fate of Seto (and ultimately, humanity) is incredibly effective and serves as a reminder that this is not a happy game.

As for Shin's plan, I think it was just meant as a quick follow up in case he missed anyone. He kind of went overboard though since he mostly accomplished his goal already.

cosmicblizzard said:
I'm kind of torn on that. On one hand,
it's a total dick move finding out there would be no happy ending just as you started to get your hopes up. It's also a bit of a motivation killer happening prior to the final boss.

On the other hand, the fact all we get is one simple sentence about the fate of Seto (and ultimately, humanity) is incredibly effective and serves as a reminder that this is not a happy game.

As for Shin's plan, I think it was just meant as a quick follow up in case he missed anyone. He kind of went overboard though since he mostly accomplished his goal already.

I watched movie 37 a few more times, and also a few other movies, and 37 is a total mood killer.

I also watched the movie where the dead girl talks to Seto on top of the damn. Where you first hear of how the end of the world happened. I didn't realize that at the time. Too much was happening in that scene and I didn't replay it on the playthrough. But the dead girl kept saying over and over what would happen if Seto and Ren ended up hating each other? I guess that was also some premonition perhaps, but not one I saw until I replayed the clip after finishing the game.

What I don't know then is if Ren dies, or if she leaves Seto. He becomes alone somehow, but the game never tells us how.

Anyway, I need to switch to some happier thoughts. This game is a lot more depressing than I thought it would be going in.

SlipperySlope said:
Just beat the game.

Doesn't the game confirm other survivors with that radio thing?

Fimbulvetr said:
Doesn't the game confirm other survivors with that radio thing?

On second thought, you're right.

But from the narrative, it doesn't seem that Seto ever meets any of them. He just stays with the girl for a few years, than she either leaves or dies. Then he dies alone.

Fuck that's depressing.

Mafro said:
I just went through my inventory and sold everything I didn't need. Luckily I managed to scrape enough money together to buy a crossbow. End boss was ridiculously easy after that.

Money is one thing I didn't have an issue with in this game. I ended up with like 200K, and never sold a single thing. Bought a few things to replace broken items, and that was it.

Edit - Sorry for the triple post. I was responding to people while I read through the thread. Anyway, I finished reading through the thread. Not very many people on GAF played this game. It's unfortunate.

Edit 2 - You know what's really weird about this game? I normally really like depressing things. I like to bask in it for some reason. Things like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (I can also listen to Acceptance from that game all day long), depressing music (usually of the harder variety, like Fade to Black. Last Kiss is also good. "So Long" by Everlast. One. Mad World. Can't stand Joy Division though.).

But this game... is just too much. When I beat it, I was just in a different mood. Not a good one.

Edit 3 - If you want to listen to So Long, don't view the version on YouTube. Way too much was cut out. Get the album version. (it's on End of Days soundtrack). Not to mention the video has absolutely nothing to do with the lyrics.

So I finally beat this game, after having been playing it over a month. 16.5hrs, and that's with exploring every nook and cranny I could find.

The memories were worth the search. The characters, while make some pretty weird decisions, were really well done. The designs really fit the roles.

Soundtrack was great, when there was music. Which didn't happen often enough IMO.

Combat system sucked, but we all knew that. It's not too bad once you learn how to fight within the limits of it.

Great game. I do recommend you get it now if you are itching, because it's sold out at the gamestops I've looked, shows it's not in stock online, and has gone up in price slightly on ebay.

JEKKI

whooooo~!!!

I have arrived to the party!!

Im like 2 hours in and the game is pretty cool!! reminds me a lot of the Silent Hill wii game.

the controls are pretty janky, but I have played thru Flower Sun & Rain! I embrace the jank!!

that's how I got thru Deadly Premonition, and that game is like one of my favorite in the year!!

I hope this game is good too!!

FrostuTheNinja said:
So, I haven't picked up this game yet and was wondering...

Is it rad?

Sell it to me, GAF!

Have you noticed that you're too happy lately? Need something to remind you the world sucks?

Well this game is for you! One of the most depressing experiences in the entire medium that evokes feelings of isolation and other things that are sad.

...Combat sucks though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
FrostuTheNinja said:

Is it rad?

Sell it to me, GAF!

Read this thread, there're a lot of posts that offer detailed reviews on the game, I personally think Jangeroo's review nails it. I also think it's safe to say that the general consensus is that it's a game worthy of going through once due solely on the strength of its presentation, music, and story; the gameplay is inoffensive at best and tedious at worst. The game's second half suffers significantly from repetition, so be warned.

MiniDitka

SlipperySlope said:
But this game... is just too much. When I beat it, I was just in a different mood. Not a good one.
I had the same reaction, just felt off kilter and not my normal self. I don't ever recall a game making me feel as crappy as Fragile did, its a good game but not the type of experience I'd like to repeat.

zigg

cosmicblizzard said:
Have you noticed that you're too happy lately? Need something to remind you the world sucks?

The perfect counterpoint to Kirby's Epic Yarn, then. :lol

I definitely plan to do this game again someday, though.

farnham

Banned
FrostuTheNinja said:

Is it rad?

Sell it to me, GAF!
great graphics
great music
great characters
surprisingly good voice acting

kind of a japanesy anime fallout

Oh yeah, I finally got this game also (from an Amazon sale I think). Pretty cool for the 2 or 3 hours I put into it. I just don't like the "walk a few yards, cut scene, go a few yards over there, cut scene" dynamic it has so far.

JEKKI

maaaaaaan Im close to like 9 hours into the game, here is how I describe it:

long azz mile long corridor to walk thru,

long azz ladder to climb forever,

mother freakin spiral staircase for 60 floors,

seriously! it's as if the game wants to depress you even more!!

Pol Wespol

Neo Member
Was surprised to see this for $20 new at Gamestop today. Picked it up as I've been dying to play this and can't wait. These kind of atmospheric experiences are exactly my thing.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I've wanted to pick this game up since it was announced, but now that I own a Wii, its pretty high priority. Amazon has it at full price, but I'll be more than happy to pick it up for $20 new :D

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I have always wanted to play this game, and the time is finally here! Picked this up for $20 today at Gamestop, seems like a good price to jump in considering the reviews and GAF's reaction. Only problem is I'm just really bummed out with how Epic Mickey turned out so I'm a little bit scared that this is more of the same (Great Music, Great Atmosphere, Great Idea.... horribly executed and horrible gameplay). Don't know if I can survive another game like that right now. :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Pol Wespol said:
Was surprised to see this for $20 new at Gamestop today. Picked it up as I've been dying to play this and can't wait. These kind of atmospheric experiences are exactly my thing.
$20 new? Need to pick this baby up.

Skiesofwonder said:
I have always wanted to play this game, and the time is finally here! Picked this up for $20 today at Gamestop, seems like a good price to jump in considering the reviews and GAF's reaction. Only problem is I'm just really bummed out with how Epic Mickey turned out so I'm a little bit scared that this is more of the same (Great Music, Great Atmosphere, Great Idea.... horribly executed and horrible gameplay). Don't know if I can survive another game like that right now. :lol

I hate to tell you this...

farnham

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
the game is not THAT bad

the battle system is not the best ever but its far from horrible. its just simple and unspectacular
the focus is not on the battles anyways.

I just finished the game a couple of days ago.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience, but a flawed game. My biggest problem with Fragile Dreams is that after about half way through, the exploration just seems to turn into walking down long bland cooridors or through boring huge rooms. The environments in the earlier half of the game were much better and I really enjoyed just taking my time and looking around.

I still enjoyed the game though, but I agree with some of the others in this thread in that I can't see myself playing the game again. I was just left with a feeling of emptiness at the end. I thought I wasn't going to be, but it happened instantly when
at the end when Seto eventually ends up on his own again. I know its not explained what exactly happens to Ren, but in my mind I just assumed that she died. Though maybe I'll try watching movie 37 again and see if I still get that impression.

Also I was surprised by how
much PF "dying" affected me. I didn't think I was that attached to the PF, but it made me feel pretty sad.

Finally started playing this -- though I bought it at launch. Man the controls and combat aren't very good at all. The graphics and production value is very good though. about 1.5 - 2 hours in. I'll continue playing and hope to finish it by the end of the week.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Mockingbird said:
Finally started playing this -- though I bought it at launch. Man the controls and combat aren't very good at all. The graphics and production value is very good though. about 1.5 - 2 hours in. I'll continue playing and hope to finish it by the end of the week.

The game has superb atmosphere and a nice story! Well worth putting up with the somewhat clunky controls in my opinion. ^^

atre324

I definitely agree-- there's something strangely charming about the game that really makes you want to explore the world and experience the story. IMO the controls aren't too bad, I've certainly played survival horror games with worse ones lol. The only thing I didn't like was the random weapon breaking.

Other than that the game is a strange mishmash of genres and gameplay ideas that's pretty interesting, even if it doesn't always work. I loved the soundtrack and some of the environments, as well as the RE4-style inventory system and the rudimentary leveling system. Even so, the game really clicked with me and I really enjoyed it.

Cygnus X-1

atre324 said:
I definitely agree-- there's something strangely charming about the game that really makes you want to explore the world and experience the story. IMO the controls aren't too bad, I've certainly played survival horror games with worse ones lol. The only thing I didn't like was the random weapon breaking.

Other than that the game is a strange mishmash of genres and gameplay ideas that's pretty interesting, even if it doesn't always work. I loved the soundtrack and some of the environments, as well as the RE4-style inventory system and the rudimentary leveling system. Even so, the game really clicked with me and I really enjoyed it.

Yeah, I second that.

pje122

I'm not really sure. I actually just finished it tonite and logged around 30... but I sort of took my time with and and zoned out as I listened to podcasts and whatnot.
So yeah, I finally slogged my way til the end. Really loved the graphics and the atmosphere, but it is a very flawed game, painfully so at times. The combat and just general design are simply archaic. But I guess I still enjoyed it. Now I'm gonna go play that marble rolling game...

It's not a long game. Perhaps 8-10 hours? I forgot. It has superb atmosphere and a good story. And fantastic stylized visuals. Some of the backgrounds are breathtaking. And as noted, yes, clunky controls. Although its biggest problem is the weapons breaking.

Definitely worth it to play through to the end. I'm tempted to spoil the ending, but I won't. You'll have to see it for yourself.

Edit - I'd like to get updates on your progress. I'm weird that way :) There was a guy in an LTTP Shattered Memories thread that didn't give updates.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Wow, I just hopped into this thread and realized that it's been over a year. Time flies I tell ya. I should really buy the soundtrack or something.

zigg

Jangaroo said:
Wow, I just hopped into this thread and realized that it's been over a year. Time flies I tell ya. I should really buy the soundtrack or something.

I want to play the game again, myself... when is the question.

Kid Ying

This is one of my favorite games on the wii. I love the atmosphere and the story. So gloomy and desperate...

The gameplay itself is not that great, but to me, this is just like Silent Hill, where the gameplay is not the focus, but the experience, hehe

And the graphics were pretty good. This game's story got me moved, which is more than i can say for most games in this generation.

I don't remember much about the music though. One thing i really remember where the little stories told when you found something that belonged to someone. There was one about a girl loving a guy that loved flowers that was really touching. It almost put me to tears.

Anyway, it's one of my favorite games in this generation.

Top Bottom