• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii) Pre-Order Bonus CD and Dual-Boxart

Mafro

The final third of this is pretty damn terrible. How the hell do I defeat the final boss? I have no ranged weapon to shoot the bolts it fires.

zigg

Chopper Dave said:
They knew they were going to die in their sleep before they went to sleep. There are actually newspapers in various parts of the game hanging on walls that show headlines announcing the catastrophic effect of glass cage. I think the fact everybody was going to die was made public.

I think I might have worded my question incorrectly...
though I only actually found like one or two of the newspapers. I was afraid there were more! But yeah, that's one theory, but it seemed to me like people were dying at widespread different times. Take the father whose son was getting married. The task fell to him because nobody else could do it.

...maybe Sai didn't really understand how Glass Cage really affected everyone. Maybe she had a "sanitized" version. Well, hell, how could she though? There were dying people in the hotel.

Mafro said:
The final third of this is pretty damn terrible. How the hell do I defeat the final boss? I have no ranged weapon to shoot the bolts it fires.

I'm kind of surprised you aren't permanently carrying one at this point, to be honest, though yeah, I was sort of surprised there wasn't one lying around like there was in some other areas.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Chopper Dave said:
I really don't think any part of the story is something I would call nonsensical.
Maybe the villain destroying all of humanity is somewhat cliche but I thought Shin's story was still interesting. Glass Cage was designed due to desperation bred from war. As Sai explained, people were wide eyed and optimistic for such an amazing technology that could reawaken the human ability to empathize with one another without speech. People could understand each other and prevent more futile tragedies like war. Surely Shin felt the same way. What about his new ability to empathize with others caused his hatred toward humanity and the way they expressed each other? As soon as he could see into the true thoughts of others, he discovered just how people betrayed their honest feelings and masked them with deceitful words. Only through his ability did he see how his colleagues resented him and how his own parents hated him. Maybe his actions seemed too extreme but the betrayal and loneliness he felt were because of this so called miracle technology. Instead of allowing someone to more easily co-exist with others, it made Shin despise others for their shrouded feelings of resent and envy toward each other.

Yeah,
wanting to wipe out humanity (twice no less) would classify as too extreme for a realization that would be pretty obvious to most: people don't say what they think. I don't need to read minds to know people can be deceitful. :p

I guess the main issue I had was the way the story went in the second half.
Shin and his motivations to wipe out the world (again) was not a direction I expected it to go. I wanted the story to focus on Ren a hell of a lot more in order to flesh her out as a character. As is, she is nothing more than a plot device damsel in distress for keeping Seto on his quest. I wounded up caring not at all about her, which is a major disappointment since she is prominently featured in every promo/cover/trailer that was associated with the game.

So it finally arrived in the mail today. I played it for about a half hour. I'm enjoying it so far even though nothing has really happened. I can tell atmosphere takes precedence over gameplay in this but that's perfectly fine with me. It's a shame there's no official thread. I think the game could really use one.

Mafro

zigg said:
I'm kind of surprised you aren't permanently carrying one at this point, to be honest, though yeah, I was sort of surprised there wasn't one lying around like there was in some other areas.

I just went through my inventory and sold everything I didn't need. Luckily I managed to scrape enough money together to buy a crossbow. End boss was ridiculously easy after that.

zigg

Mafro said:
I just went through my inventory and sold everything I didn't need. Luckily I managed to scrape enough money together to buy a crossbow. End boss was ridiculously easy after that.

Yeah, nothing's actually ever really hard. I had the crossbow handy for those guys who also throw the energy bolts, personally. Didn't see the need to sell too much other than the really old weapons, felt like I should keep a few spares on hand anyway in case of breakage and lack of chicken man.

Beat it earlier today. Definitely one of the most depressing experiences I've ever had with a video game. I enjoyed it but probably wouldn't play it again. After all, the main draw is the story and that isn't something that warrants multiple playthroughs, at least not for a while.

Kevtones

After initial MEH I'm actually really coming around to this game. I've been surprisingly drawn into the atmosphere and I don't really mind the combat (level ups make it bearable).

At 6 hours in, I'm pretty eager to keep playing and to find all the memories. They really help to focus the tone and evocation of the game.

So, a month later, what's the verdict?

I'm really dying for a real, actual RPG to pop in my Wii, but this game doesn't seem much like an RPG at all, more like Fatal Frame 4-style gameplay with RPG elements tacked on.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Unknown Soldier said:

I'm really dying for a real, actual RPG to pop in my Wii, but this game doesn't seem much like an RPG at all, more like Fatal Frame 4-style gameplay with RPG elements tacked on.

There's very little that's "RPG" about the game, despite the fact that the character does level up. This is more of an action/suspense game. It's a great game, but not if RPG is clearly what you're looking for.

I'm loving this game though, amazing atmosphere and design.

Swittcher

Banned
A month later? And not a single store has EVER received the game near me.

I'm in Montreal, so I was forced to ebay the game for my gf, but it still has not arrived in the mail.

MiniDitka

cosmicblizzard said:
Beat it earlier today. Definitely one of the most depressing experiences I've ever had with a video game. I enjoyed it but probably wouldn't play it again. After all, the main draw is the story and that isn't something that warrants multiple playthroughs, at least not for a while.
Thats exactly how I felt after finishing it. Thought it was a good game overall but definitely wouldn't play again.

zigg

Unknown Soldier said:

Well, here's my review. (Bought my own copy for this one, in the interests of full disclosure and all that.)

http://www.n-sider.com/gameview.php?gameid=6280&view=review

Do you like looking around? Taking it slow? Feeling melancholy? It's a very moving game in that regard.

But if you're looking to be a ghost-fighter and get your RPG or action fix, then yeah, you'd probably best stay away. This is not that game.

I've been listening to the "PLUS" (2-disc) version of the soundtrack lately. It makes me want to play the game again, actually... sooner than I expected.

Unknown Soldier said:

Forget gameplay. If you look to this game expecting any gameplay at all (and it seems like you are), just forget it.
This game isn't about the gameplay.

anyone want to sell me their copy? Especially if you're never going to play it again?

farnham

Banned
i really need to buy this.. just for the music and the atmosphere.. from what i can gather the gameplay is bad but i dont really care at this point

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
So how long is this game really? IGN said it was like 6 hours or something whereas I've heard others say that number is a load of crap. I'm thinking about starting it up (bought a copy around release and haven't even taken the plastic off) but with MH3 out next week I don't want to get into something really lengthy right now.

BorkBork

JohnnyPanda said:
So how long is this game really? IGN said it was like 6 hours or something whereas I've heard others say that number is a load of crap. I'm thinking about starting it up (bought a copy around release and haven't even taken the plastic off) but with MH3 out next week I don't want to get into something really lengthy right now.

Finished at around 10 to 11 hours, I wasn't in a rush or anything.

JohnnyPanda said:

Took me just over 12 hours and I wasn't dawdling. You'd have to skip most combat and not bother exploring the world/finding the hidden messages to finish it in six. I wonder if the reviewer actually meant 'dozen' rather than 'half-dozen', particularly as he doesn't really complain about it being short (and it got a decentish mark for longevity, IIRC).

zigg

JohnnyPanda said:
IGN said it was like 6 hours or something whereas I've heard others say that number is a load of crap.

I'm in the latter camp. Best I can figure is that they ran past everything and didn't bother to pick up any memories.

jesusraz

I put 15 hours in just to get to the half-way point :lol

Really took my time wandering around, reading all the translated signs, picking up anything and everything I could find, doing the odd bit of grinding to help out later in the game...I wanted to thoroughly soak up the story and atmosphere. It's getting a 9 from me. Totally won me over. Screw all the complaints about the battling - since I took my time, I didn't have any problems with it at all. I could see people getting frustrated if they rushed through, but then you lose so much attempting to fly through quickly!

zigg

jesusraz said:
I put 15 hours in just to get to the half-way point :lol

Now that seems excessive. :D How did you manage to squeeze that much time out of it? I went down pretty much every corridor I could reasonably see. A few of them I did a couple times (hello there spectral birds on rusty catwalks!)

Of course, I also probably did a lot of VA-skipping... I bet you let them all run to their ends?

jesusraz

I did indeed! I'd lie back on the sofa and just listen to the full conversation. I'd also wander around corridors that I knew would likely be dead ends, just to see what was there. I got *way* too sucked into it...and no, that's not a
homosexual pun related to that kiss!
:lol

I'm going to do a follow-up interview with tri-Crescendo if anyone wants anything asking. The one a couple of years back went really well, so thought I'd request a post mortem type of interview. Anyone want anything specific asking?

BorkBork

I'd lie back on the sofa and just listen to the full conversation.

I did that too. I thought the memories and the writing that went into them was superb.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just finished this. The music, atmosphere and characterization are truly what this game is about and they are all greatly realized. It also helps that the localization is top notch. I enjoyed how the memories played out, my favorite has to be the seven bells one, it got me really involved and
the revelation at the end was mindblowing to me
. I have a thing for melancholic works, I'd like if there were more games that attempted what Fragile does.

In the gameplay department I was expecting something way more terrible an clunky from what I heard before but, even if it was simple, at no moment I felt it was detrimental to the experience. Taking the pointer off the screen at the right times helped in keeping it functional and the different weapons kept me interested until the end.

I loved the settings in the entire game from a visual standpoint, so many little details to look at. However, nearing the end there are some bad design decisions. I can understand what kind of feeling they aimed for with
endless stairs and longass corridors
but huh, one time of each is enough.

I was only less than 10 memories short so I don't think I'll be replaying this any time soon (I'll probably read them in a transcript or something). Pretty interesting game, I'm glad we got to play it in English.

jesusraz said:
I did indeed! I'd lie back on the sofa and just listen to the full conversation. I'd also wander around corridors that I knew would likely be dead ends, just to see what was there. I got *way* too sucked into it...and no, that's not a
homosexual pun related to that kiss!
:lol

I'm going to do a follow-up interview with tri-Crescendo if anyone wants anything asking. The one a couple of years back went really well, so thought I'd request a post mortem type of interview. Anyone want anything specific asking?

All I want asked: Do they have plans for further Wii retail support?

Fuu said:
I enjoyed how the memories played out, my favorite has to be the seven bells one, it got me really involved and
the revelation at the end was mindblowing to me

What was the revelation? I only got like 3 of those.

Fuu said:
The "girl" and her sisters are cats.

I actually figured that out fairly quickly. It just
didn't seem like the owner was human and I figured they had to be cats going by how they moved and where they were.

My biggest revelation was that Yuri Lowenthal sneaked his way into the game
as the memory of the lazy scientist who liked coffee.

I couldn't take it seriously because he sounded like Brosuke.

Fimbulvetr said:
My biggest revelation was that Yuri Lowenthal sneaked his way into the game
as the memory of the lazy scientist who liked coffee.

I couldn't take it seriously because he sounded like Brosuke.

Heh. I think the same thing whenever I recognize him. He's seriously in way too many games.

Of course the guy with 2 voices happened to be the main character but that was a bit easier to accept since he used his pussy voice.

jesusraz

Hero of Legend said:
All I want asked: Do they have plans for further Wii retail support?
Don't worry - I've asked loads of follow-up questions to my first interview as well. At the time they were considering the idea of a sequel or prequel, so I asked about that...and LOTS of other stuff. I just hope it gets turned around soon. RSG is sending over my 'love letter' link to give them a bit of convincing ;)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
cosmicblizzard said:
I actually figured that out fairly quickly. It just
didn't seem like the owner was human and I figured they had to be cats going by how they moved and where they were.
Haha, I'm glad I didn't because it was pretty cool at the end. I just thought that the story was supposed to be surreal and went with it.

cosmicblizzard said:
Of course the guy with 2 voices happened to be the main character but that was a bit easier to accept since he used his pussy voice.
I don't mind Bosch but I had a hard time at the start because I hate Emil's guts in ToS2 and when I heard that voice again I couldn't believe it. :lol

I hope someone will sell it to me for like $35 once they are done playing it. I tried to buy a copy on Ebay and paid for it and everything and it never came. So I filed a claim on Ebay a week ago and should have my money back soon. :/

Okay here I am in here again! Got my refund, want to buy the game for $38 shipped if possible. Sorry if it seems like I'm begging but I can't find it anywhere and can see that a few of you have no interest in playing your game anymore, so I'm willing to buy it.

Can't wait to play it, sucks that I got scammed on Ebay, but atleast I got the refund.

Edit: Nevermind, won a copy on Ebay for $32.83 + $4 shipping =)

I'm assuming this is the official thread. Just got the game today. Just got to the amusement park. So far, I don't see what caused IGN to give it such a low score. Seems good so far.

This game is woefully overlooked.

zigg

You know, enough good can't be said about the soundtrack. I started listening to it shortly after I finished the game and it was a pretty moving experience.

There's so much great imagery, both visual and auditory, in this game.

zigg

radiantdreamer said:
speaking of which, when is the official soundtrack coming out again?

Wait, was it ever announced? The Moonlight Tracks disc is kind of short, I'd love to buy the Plus soundtrack.

Shirokun

cosmicblizzard said:

Could you explain without spoiling anything? Are you implying that the game was disappointing, or that the story was just that heavy? I've been mulling over this since it was first revealed.

Top Bottom