• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE" 1 Year ECA membership... for the price of YOUR SOUL. Read if you applied.

LeCapitan said:
I signed up back in October, and after reading this I tried to log into my account to see what was up. I saved the registration email they sent me from when I signed up so I just pulled that up and tried to log in. The problem is the username/password combos I tried haven't worked, and I get this from the "Forgot your password" page:

It seems they deleted me :(

Don't believe it. I had the same problem. I searched through my inbox to find my activation email and reclicked the validation link to change my password. Account still active.

elrechazao said:
Keep up the consumerist emails! The more complaints the less it looks like one crazy person whining about a company.

show details 7:56 PM (13 minutes ago)

Thanks for the tip. We'll check it out!

LAURA
WEEKEND EDITOR
THE CONSUMERIST
CONSUMERIST.COM
tips@consumerist.com
Just got this same e-mail.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Wag said:
I guess I am lucky as well as many others that my CC expires this year, that way they can't charge it. I just hope the bank doesn't keep the card open or the company doesn't get wise to this and make a run to renew accounts before the year is up.

Their terms of use actually says they will keep trying different expiration dates on an expired card until one goes through.

Number 5.

http://www.theeca.com/terms

John

Why can’t we terminate via email?

Because the org has grown too large to handle the volume and requiring a mailed piece separates those who are serious from those who are lazy or finicky – joining and leaving repeatedly – and it gives us written documentation, a paper trail to reconcile against
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

seems like what they are doing is wildly illegal.

In your emails to them simply mention the better businesses bureau, they'll move then. A mere mention of reporting to the bureau gets them in line. I managed to get Comcast (back when i used those vampires) to fix something on a Saturday afternoon and then a sunday evening following persistent problems simply because I threatened to report their lack of effectiveness in repairing the service i pay for.

tenritsu

Banned
God dammit, what a shitstorm of shit.

I guess I'm not safe too. I have money on that debit card. Guess it's time to fight back along with the others.

I think I'm just gonna cancel my CC that it is tied to. I had been thinking about it for a while now since I no longer have a bank account with BoA.

angelfly said:
So in other words the quickest way to cancel is to send the staff angry messages.

Your ECA "staff" ladies and gentleman...

empty-room.jpg

Jazzy Network said:
I think I'm just gonna cancel my CC that it is tied to. I had been thinking about it for a while now since I no longer have a bank account with BoA.

Just report your card lost. Closing the account will ding your credit score, especially so if it is an old account. Just make sure the number is different on the card you get from BoA.

MrPliskin

Banned
Seriously, why don't we just get a little crazy and get their forums shut down? I'm sure GAF can mount an assault unlike any they have ever seen. Rage filled threads of betrayal. Hundreds of posts and topics.

I mean, if there's one thing I know GAF can do, it's make them look like they are hiding something. Get them to shut it down!

sangreal

I AM JOHN! said:
So I got a free membership last year as an apology for canceling Digital|Life last year because I went two years ago. Am I safe? I don't remember ever giving them any credit card information or anything.

Oh right, I think that is how I ended up with a membership. The free shirt came later. I never gave them a CC either. Under CC number it just says -------. Like I posted before though, my membership is still active even though its been over a year and I never paid them though

StoOgE

Ok, I talked to a lawyer friend of mine briefly (I am bored + angry).

The best course of action is to take this to arbitration and ask that they provide proof of what they are doing and how the money is being spent. They are a not-for-profit which means they can't carry over any profits from year to year and have to spend a certain % on the objectives on their website. If they are a scam and are just pocketing the "dues" then they could be completely fucked and have an attorney general on their ass and people in jail. Essentially claim that they are a fraudulent organization and make them prove that they are not.

If they are a legit charity and I have no case, the worst it will cost me is 250 dollars for the filing fee and a 6 pack of beer for my buddy for his time on the case.

I also suggest everyone write letters to the vendors that they have relationships with. Buy.com, amazon.com, etc and let them know what his happening. Part of what is giving these guys legitimacy is the membership benefits that they have. We may be able to get amazon to go after them for continuing to list amazon's name on the website.

Sailor

I signed up for this through the free promotion thing and now you're telling me I can't get out?

Or is it that the only way out is to send them a letter via mail for them to cancel it.

MrPliskin said:
Seriously, why don't we just get a little crazy and get their forums shut down? I'm sure GAF can mount an assault unlike any they have ever seen. Rage filled threads of betrayal. Hundreds of posts and topics.

I mean, if there's one thing I know GAF can do, it's make them look like they are hiding something. Get them to shut it down!
Obviously we need to send an ambassador from GAF to go to /b/ and have them help mount a large scale assault on the ECA

StopMakingSense said:
Just report your card lost. Closing the account will ding your credit score, especially so if it is an old account. Just make sure the number is different on the card you get from BoA.
If he doesn't use it he may as well get rid of it. I don't think having open cards in your name you never make payments helps your credit score either.

StoOgE said:

The best course of action is to take this to arbitration and ask that they provide proof of what they are doing and how the money is being spent. They are a not-for-profit which means they can't carry over any profits from year to year and have to spend a certain % on the objectives on their website. If they are a scam and are just pocketing the "dues" then they could be completely fucked and have an attorney general on their ass and people in jail.

If they are a legit charity and I have no case, the worst it will cost me is 250 dollars for the filing fee and a 6 pack of beer for my buddy for his time on the case.

I will gladly donate the $20 that would have gone to the ECA to your cause.

Prezhulio

MrPliskin said:

i'd rather the eca just act reasonably and allow us to cancel our accounts without jumping through hoops.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
StoOgE said:

The best course of action is to take this to arbitration and ask that they provide proof of what they are doing and how the money is being spent. They are a not-for-profit which means they can't carry over any profits from year to year and have to spend a certain % on the objectives on their website. If they are a scam and are just pocketing the "dues" then they could be completely fucked and have an attorney general on their ass and people in jail. Essentially claim that they are a fraudulent organization and make them prove that they are not.

I also suggest everyone write letters to the vendors that they have relationships with. Buy.com, amazon.com, etc and let them know what his happening. Part of what is giving these guys legitimacy is the membership benefits that they have. We may be able to get amazon to go after them for continuing to list amazon's name on the website.
What does the ECA even do anyway? They don't brag about any of their accomplisments so they likely don't have any, and when asked directly they tend to respond with things like "its too important to reveal!". :/

MrPliskin said:

As fun as those adventures are sometimes, let's not.

sangreal

Neuromancer said:
If he doesn't use it he may as well get rid of it. I don't think having open cards in your name you never make payments helps your credit score either.

Incorrect, there is no history of balances and payments on your credit report. Only a history of whether your account was in good standing or past due on any given month. Average age of accounts, however, is a factor in your credit score*.

*Speaking only of your FICO score, which doesn't include anything not found on your credit report. Internal bank scorecards based on information they have on you as a customer are different

StoOgE

grandjedi6 said:
What does the ECA even do anyway? They don't brag about any of their accomplisments so they likely don't have any, and when asked directly they tend to respond with things like "its too important to reveal!". :/

right, but if you claim 75,000 dollars in damages in arbitration and claim they are a fraudulent organization they are going to have to come up with something or eat the loss.

It is essentially a way to make them prove they do what they claim to do and show where the money is going. Giving ambiguous answers in arbitration isn't going to get them very far.

tenritsu

Banned
StoOgE said:
right, but if you claim 75,000 dollars in damages in arbitration and claim they are a fraudulent organization they are going to have to come up with something or eat the loss.

It is essentially a way to make them prove they do what they claim to do and show where the money is going. Giving ambiguous answers in arbitration isn't going to get them very far.

If you're going ahead with this with your lawyer friend, that's something I could get behind.

Well, I feel really foolish for having signed up for this. Lesson learned, do thorough research, especially if a free offer asks for credit card info. >_<

AtomskEater said:
Well, I feel really foolish for having signed up for this. Lesson learned, do thorough research, especially if a free offer asks for credit card info. >_<
This! Hope this gets resolved soon.

kamspy

I can't even log-in there right now.

They also say the email I registered with is not in the system (thought I used a funny password).

WTF

I think i got in on this right before I lost my cc and had it cancelled. Hopefully.

Luigison

graywolf323 said:
ever since the free memberships started it was obvious the ECA was ****ed up

no wonder Amazon bailed
Wait! What? I was planning on buying Christmas presents through Amazon this weekend. No more ECA Amazon discounts? What physical address do I send my cancellation letter to?

sangreal

AtomskEater said:

You can always use a virtual card number, which most issuing banks offer and allow you to set a limit.

I've heard horror stories about banks allowing charges beyond the limit, but it always worked fine for me back in the days of Gratis giving away free stuff in exchange for trial offers

MrPliskin

Banned
Prezhulio said:
i'd rather the eca just act reasonably and allow us to cancel our accounts without jumping through hoops.

I think we've seen that, so far, that isn't really a possibility :lol

I just called my bank and reported my card lost, new one en route. Had the old card shut down so no charges can go through.

That said, I do think everyone should at least register for the forums and continue to address the issue. If more people voice their concern with their practices, it'll look better should any legal matters come to fruition.

http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6984

sangreal

MrPliskin said:
I think we've seen that, so far, that isn't really a possibility :lol

I just called my bank and reported my card lost, new one en route. Had the old card shut down so no charges can go through.

Don't you guys have like 10 months to sort this out though? I'm sure they will cave and offer a better solution for canceling before then.

Shadowlink said:
Can we look at what credit card we added in the site?

Click on your e-mail address, then orders, then the order number. Mine says:

Payment:
Method: Credit card
Card Number:
------------

but i assume if you gave them a CC a number would be there

sangreal said:
You can always use a virtual card number, which most issuing banks offer and allow you to set a limit.

I've heard horror stories about banks allowing charges beyond the limit, but it always worked fine for me back in the days of Gratis giving away free stuff in exchange for trial offers
Hmm. That's definitely something I'm going to look into should this situation arise again, thanks.

Koshiba

Well.. I hope this sorts out before next year.. I can't remember which card I would have used for this. I never even used the benefits like the amazon code. :[ I guess if it comes down to it, I'll hopefully be able to dispute the charge next year if need be.

sangreal said:
Incorrect, there is no history of balances and payments on your credit report. Only a history of whether your account was in good standing or past due on any given month. Average age of accounts, however, is a factor in your credit score*.

*Speaking only of your FICO score, which doesn't include anything not found on your credit report. Internal bank scorecards based on information they have on you as a customer are different

"If your credit card balance is zero, go ahead and close as many unused accounts as you want. As long as your credit cards are balance-free, it won’t hurt your credit score a bit. So call those card issuers and cut away."

"There are several arguments for closing your unused credit card accounts, however. Doing so:

* Reduces the risk of identity theft.
* Reduces your bookkeeping.
* Prevents you from abusing them.
* Puts you in control of your finances. (Don’t underestimate the power of this.)"

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/09/16/how-and-when-to-cancel-a-credit-card/

I am a major proponent of not having credit cards in your name that you never use.

Top Bottom