• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"FREE" 1 Year ECA membership... for the price of YOUR SOUL. Read if you applied.

bozeman

oh dear lord....

Mine's not up until September, but thanks for reminding me that I can't just forget about it and hope it goes away.

Caelestis

Ugh, not this shit again. I am one of the people who can't login anymore. At least I still have until September to see what they are trying to pull now. o_O

Legendbyname said:
My membership actually ends today. So we'll see how this ends...

It was for a year right? I thought most of the people started gaming the system around August or so.

I probably should just get off my butt and cancel anyways. Also...jerks.

halhapin.jpg

Hal "Call me Hal" Halpin is laughing all the way to the bank!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mr. B Natural said:
What online cancellation request? I don't see anything of the sort.
Go to your profile, then the Membership Status tab. Select "No added renewal term" or something like that, then choose no added renewal, then choose to Cancel now.

Mudkips

Banned
It's the membership that keeps on taking!

Did you guys really expect to exploit the deal so vigorously (let's face it, that's the only reason anyone, anywhere, ever signed up) and not get some sort of screw job?

I love it when the deal horde gets screwed.
The internet is great for sharing good deals, but it's made legitimate good deals dry up faster than a turd on a sidewalk because of the fucking deal forums that exploit shit and cheat the system to no end.

Protips:
Never count on rebates.
A refurbished product is worth at most 2/3 the cost of a new one.
Never sign up for a membership without using one of them one-time-use credit card numbers.

Legendbyname

Neo Member
Class_A_Ninja said:
It was for a year right? I thought most of the people started gaming the system around August or so.

I probably should just get off my butt and cancel anyways. Also...jerks.

I signed up way before the whole "GIMAG" code came out. I paid $15 as a student and probably saved $30 or so on Amazon. It was great while it lasted...

Mudkips said:

Did you guys really expect to exploit the deal so vigorously (let's face it, that's the only reason anyone, anywhere, ever signed up) and not get some sort of screw job?

The internet is great for sharing good deals, but it's made legitimate good deals dry up faster than a turd on a sidewalk because of the fucking deal forums that exploit shit and cheat the system to no end.

Protips:
Never count on rebates.
Never sign up for a membership without using one of them one-time-use credit card numbers.

Actually I signed up at PAX before I knew of any benefits. I still have yet to use any. Thought the cause was cool, but considering I haven't seen much in the way of results I'll probably be canceling my account.

Mudkips said:

I signed up because it was free, it seemed like a good organization and yeah the Amazon thing sounded awesome. But there's a difference between taking advantage of something and exploiting it. Stop being so smarmy and self righteous.

XiaNaphryz said:
Go to your profile, then the Membership Status tab. Select "No added renewal term" or something like that, then choose no added renewal, then choose to Cancel now.

Thanks for the info, now I don't have to worry about this eca crap no more....

Mudkips said:
Wrong. The fact is the Amazon code was good on its own, without exploiting it.

jersoc

Mudkips said:

Protips:
Never count on rebates.

you're an idiot.

Legendbyname

Neo Member
Mudkips said:

Protips:
Never count on rebates.

Protip:
Don't assume everyone is as big of an ass as you.

I signed up before the free code and never exploited Amazon.

Jin34

XiaNaphryz said:

Thanks, membership canceled.

Bii

RedNumberFive said:
Or so you think! I would keep a watchful eye on your credit card bill.

I signed up before the membership became "free". I selected to not auto-renew and...it didn't auto-renew. :D I started my membership on 4/20/2009 and there hasn't been a charge to my credit card since it would've started up the membership again a few days ago.

Costanza

Banned
someone on CAG was nice enough to compile details about what's currently going on:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7117949&postcount=784

Who has been auto-renewed despite canceling?

* Some CAGs have reported that they canceled their ECA accounts by "snail mail" - through the "CAGbox" or through individual letters.
* The CAGs reported that they received letters or emails from the ECA confirming that their accounts were canceled and their credit card information was deleted
* The CAGs also reported that they could no longer access their accounts on the ECA website
* However, the CAGs were still auto-renewed despite what appeared to be successful cancellations.

Who is at risk of being auto-renewed despite canceling?

* Anyone who canceled via "snail mail" - even if you received a cancellation letter and even if you cannot access your account on the ECA website
* This is potentially several hundred ex-members, if not more, based on the number of people who canceled via the "CAGbox" or who reported canceling independently of the "CAGbox"
* If your renewal date has passed or is approaching, be sure to keep an eye on your credit card statements. Please see the question below about credit card statements.
* Even if your credit card number has changed or expired, or if your card has changed due to a change in bank ownership, it is still possible for the ECA to bill you again, and at least one ex-member has been billed under a newer card

If I check my credit card statement, what should I look for?

* Some CAGs have reported that the unauthorized charges appeared as:
* "Ent. Consumer asso $19.99"
* "Point Of Sale Withdrawal ENT. / CONSUMER ASSOC 203-761-6180 CTUS 19.99"

Who is not at risk of being auto-renewed?

* So far, there are no reports that anyone who turned off auto-renew or who canceled their accounts via the ECA's new web system have been auto-renewed.

My ECA membership was auto-renewed even though I canceled. What can I do?

* Immediately call your credit card company and inform them of the situation. Notify them that this was an unauthorized renewal of a membership service that you had already canceled and have proof that it was canceled.
* Contact the ECA by web form email: http://www.theeca.com/feed_back
* Please understand that it may be Monday morning before you receive a reply
* Contact the ECA's Accounting Department by phone during regular business hours: (203) 761-6180
* Contact the Connecticut Attorney General: http://www.ct.gov/ag/cwp/browse.asp?a=2224

What is the ECA doing about this?

* Representatives of the ECA have replied to a thread on their own forums here
* Their offices are closed for the weekend, but staffers are looking into this issue
* The ECA representative on the message board claims that if there was a billing error, it will be rectified immediately

My account is still active - How do I turn off auto-renew or cancel my account now?

* Click on your username under the banner that says "Member Login" on the left hand sidebar once you are logged in.
* Under the "Edit Account" tab, click on the "Membership Status" link
* At the bottom of the "Membership Status" page, check the box that says "*No Additional Term, Thanks" and click "Submit" and "Click here to continue" on the next page
* At Step 3, be sure to click the bubble that says "OFF - Please do not auto-renew my membership" and click "Submit" and "Click here to continue" on the next page
* At Step 5, you can choose whether to keep your account with Auto-Renew turned off, or you can choose to cancel your account. If you choose to cancel your account, please note that "Terminating your active membership in the association will remove the financial information on file, and will cancel all rights and services available to you as a member otherwise, but will not remove historical and contact information which ECA is required by law to preserve. " Whatever your choice is, click "Submit"
* If you chose to cancel, on the next page, you can tell the ECA why you are canceling. Be sure to click "Submit" again

What else do I need to know?

* The ECA has currently removed the "Terms and Membership Agreement" page at this link: http://www.theeca.com/Membership_Terms_Conditions - this means there could be more changes to the "Terms and Membership Agreement," or it may be a technical error.

angelfly

So even those who canceled the normal route are being auto-renewed. I got my account terminated through the TOS violation route so hopefully I'm safe.

Caelestis

angelfly said:
So even those who canceled the normal route are being auto-renewed. I got my account terminated through the TOS violation route so hopefully I'm safe.
I doubt they had different routes to get rid of people based on the reason why they were being deleted, so you're probably in the same boat as people who send letters...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I really don't see how they think they can get away with lying to people and forcing them into a lifetime subscription. This is the dumbest scheme ever.

soldat7

Jin34 said:
Yeah guess we better save the email cancellation confirmation email as proof.

For some reason, I never received an email confirming my cancellation. However, when I check my profile, I see this:

x0noub.png

I'm going to keep an eye on this.

soldat7 said:
For some reason, I never received an email confirming my cancellation. However, when I check my profile, I see this:
I received a cancellation e-mail and I can't access my profile at all.

Maybe it's because I was with the CAG box and they just hate us. :lol

Whenever ECA changed their policy I canceled my account. Just to make sure I tried logging in to see my status, and it said my username has not been activated or is blocked. I think that means I'm safe, and I don't see why anyone still wouldn't be able to cancel if they didn't already.

goldenpp72

lol at the guy who thinks you shouldn't be able to use features you agree to upon registering. yeah, the people who used the amazon code EXPLOIT are assholes, I purposely avoided doing it hoping others would as well. However, using the code legitimately, even if 1000 times, is fine if they allow it to happen. It would be like sams club banning you for visiting too much or amazon saying no more 2 day shipping you use your prime membership too much!!

If there is to be a limit, it should be stated.

Ramune

Cancelled my membership. To be perfectly honest, I never really used it's membership benefits and figured I join a worthy cause. :-\

Before I cancelled my membership, it expired on 9/14/10, and I can't log back in anymore, but I'm keep tabs on my accounts. Thanks for reminding me about this.

soldat7 said:

I'm going to keep an eye on this.

when you get to the last "step" its tricky:
be careful on the steps because step 3 says "Yes/No auto renew" and Step 5 says "Yes/No Cancel my membership now". Step 5 defaults to "No" so your membership will still be valid if you just click submit.

Chrange

Banned
It's now even funnier that the ECA ever criticized Video Gamers Network for requiring members send an e-mail to cancel :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
I never got around to using any of the benefits (amazon coupons).

To be honest, the main reason I'm cancelling is because I don't want to be charged for a service I never used. Plus I am going through my inbox and trying to minimize the emails that I regularly get.

Ashhong

soooo did anybody forget to cancel? i just got an email saying thank you for renewing. i think i gave a prepaid credit card number so i should be ok. if not im disputing the fuck out of this.

Ashhong said:
soooo did anybody forget to cancel? i just got an email saying thank you for renewing. i think i gave a prepaid credit card number so i should be ok. if not im disputing the fuck out of this.

No... we all switched when it gave the option.

graywolf323

yeah I switched mine and it didn't renew so that's all good

kinda wish I had written down the generic code for D2D before it ran out though assuming they even have a discount with them still :lol

I canceled on that big form letter via Google Docs like a ton of people but apparently they didn't get the memo. Thankfully you guys bumped this thread with screenshots because...

theeca.png

Just managed to cancel in time before it auto-renewed! Phew.

I think I lucked out of some cancellation drama because my credit card company sent me a new card with a new number a few months ago. I didn't even request it. :lol

DiscoJer

Little Green Yoda said:
I think I lucked out of some cancellation drama because my credit card company sent me a new card with a new number a few months ago. I didn't even request it. :lol

Hmmm, same with me.

I actually got an email from ECA reminding me about renewal though I swore I canceled. But I figure (hope) that the number change along with exp date will screw it up if they try to renew...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I was canceled without me ever doing anything, so I lucked out. Someone must of saw I viewed the CAG mass cancel list and just edited the info in.

Sean

Banned
Little Green Yoda said:

Same here. I procrastinated a bit about canceling and then forgot, and just got the email saying they couldn't charge my card. Phew.

Sorry, we were unable to renew your membership in the association. It may be that the credit or debit card you have on file needs to be updated. Please login to your account to provide new payment details. You will have a thirty (30) day grace period prior to your active membership being terminated.

Stalfos

Schmattakopf said:
A letter on Google Docs that requested auto-renewal be turned off for anyone who signed it. It was printed and physically sent to the ECA.
If I remember correctly they didn't just print the list, they actually printed a letter for each person on the list and mailed them all.

Ramune said:
Cancelled my membership. To be perfectly honest, I never really used it's membership benefits and figured I join a worthy cause. :-\

Before I cancelled my membership, it expired on 9/14/10, and I can't log back in anymore, but I'm keep tabs on my accounts. Thanks for reminding me about this.

4jt2yujpg.gif

Where is this from?

Luckily the CC I used for this expired so I don't have to worry abotu them jerking me. :)

Top Bottom