• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free NES/SNES Games for Nintendo Paid Service Only Playable For Free For One Month

There are no "free" games on a paid service :) But I get what you mean. I would suggest giving them some time to explain and to see this as a first step. I mean, it seems that people would be less angry if there was no "free" game at all.

It's the same principle as tipping your server a nickel.

But can you still play the game online after it stops being free if you bought it? I know it seems like a stupid question, but we're talking about Nintendo here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Both of their competitors are doing the games with paid online services benefit in a way that consumers like and works for both the company and user. How did Nintendo manage to screw it up this badly?

Wedzi

Banned
bQvBwcE.gif

Will wait for price of the service before final judgement but I'm thinking we might be seeing a 3DS style relaunch. Maybe that's the plan all along!

Edit: Expect to see a similar story come Fall. http://kotaku.com/5825495/nintendo-3ds-gets-sudden-massive-price-drop

RRockman

Banned
So first they expect us to be excited over games that were available to purchase for like 10 usd since the wii VC to given rental periods? Then they are offering any GCN VC games either? This is really freaking stupid indeed. Splatoon/smash brothers is the only reason to pay for online now. There is no way they can charge the same as Sony or Microsoft for this service.

pokemon bank for STARS had better be free with this service or I will riot.

hohoXD123

Heh, I was pretty much ready to trade in my Wii U games and pre-order the Switch yesterday, but with every new piece of info since then I think I'll be waiting a while.

jmdajr

ahahahaha

bastards!

You should get nes,snes,and n64 game (ALL 3) which you can play for the duration of your subscription!

Granted I don't know what the cost is yet, but this....

IS BULLLLLLLSHHHHHIIIIITTTT

Somnid

Yeah that sounds very Nintendo. Though the entire problem with "free games" subs is that if I wanted the game I would have bought it. It's like paying a sub to shop at the Good Will outlet store and take what I want. Honestly I'm not sure there is anything worthwhile I could be offered to pay for online services because everything that can be offered is valueless.

I don't understand. These VC titles are having online play added, and will you be able to buy only the regular versions after or also the ones with added online play?

Think about it. If you sub you can play online, if not you can't because of the way the system works.

Lucifon

It's like Nintendo thought how could we do what the competition is doing but worse. I mean it depends on the price but given their pricing strategy on absolutely everything else related to the switch I expect this to also be terrible.

bQvBwcE.gif

Will wait for price of the service before final judgement but I'm thinking we might be seeing a 3DS style relaunch. Maybe that's the plan all along!

The system isn't even out, hell the official reveal isn't even 24 hours old, and people are already talking about relaunches. Pretty telling.

ronin_cse

Neo Member
Ya know I'm usually pretty optimistic in life and I absolutely hate it when people say "set your expectations low so you won't be disappointed" most of the time. There are situations where this is absolutely the correct action though. In this case I see absolutely no reason to assume Nintendo will price this much lower than PS+ or Xbox Live. I'm sorry but to those who are saying "maybe it'll only be $20 a year!": you need to set your expectations lower. There is of course a small chance you'll be right, but most likely (and sadly) you won't be.

I for one probably won't be paying for this service as I didn't play Splatoon nearly enough to justify it and for me local multiplayer is what makes Mario Kart fun. Who knows though, maybe things will change enough by Fall.

BadWolf

Asking again in case anyone understands this

You get to play the game(s) for 30 days and after that they are gone.

It's not like PS+ where if you add it to your download list then you have access to it indefinitely as long as you have an active subscription.

That's really stupid. But it's pretty much the only way I'd play a Virtual Console game again because I'm not buying them if they aren't going to transfer over to future platforms.

MechDX

ahahahaha

bastards!

You should get nes,snes,and n64 game (ALL 3) which you can play for the duration of your subscription!

Granted I don't know what the cost is yet, but this....

IS BULLLLLLLSHHHHHIIIIITTTT

Its like a Don Mattrick response. "If you dont want to pay the premium we have a solution for you!"

Hey guys, don't forget that if you want to play VC games or 2D Fighters with a proper D-Pad then you will need the $70 pro controller and you still won't have one in handheld mode because don't you want to be able to share the joy?

What a convoluted, confusing pile of weirdness this system is. Just the mere thought of trying to figure all the caveats and bullshit gives me a headache and turns me off from even considering buying the damn thing.

The more I read, the less I like it and the poster on page 1 was right...it's like they're trying to see how many stupid fucking choices they can pack into one system.

jmdajr

You get to play the game(s) for 30 days and after that they are gone.

It's not like PS+ where if you add it to your download list then you have access to it indefinitely as long as you have an active subscription.

Hell the 360 games you can actually fucking keep! And they aren't 3 decades old!

kmfdmpig

On top of that they are just nes games lol

Most dont care about such old games and Nintendo is being stingy with them

They probably want to do regular releases of classic consoles. It seems like more and more Nintendo is focused on using nostalgia for old games to generate sales.

firelogic

The take away shouldn't be that the games are only available for a month. The real problem is that it's 1 NES game or 1 SNES game. Even if it was 1 of each it's still not a good deal. We're in 2017 now. The least they could do is throw on Gamecube or Wii titles.

I'm just asking this cause I always see it mentioned as a meme in these threads, but is Urban Champion even a good game? I know it's like a running joke cause Nintendo always re-releases it for every VC, but I honestly don't know anything about the game.

Apathy

Like we're taking about nes and SNES games here. You know how amazing it would have been if they had said "with your subscription to online you will get access to every nes and SNES game as long as you're subbed. We don't have every game at launch but we'll be adding them all over the years and eventually every game will be playable, it adds some value to your sub"

Dee Dee

... You really think this is gonna be $10 a year?

Seriously?

Ok then...

OT, this is rediculous. Whoever does Nintendo's market research needs to be sacked. They don't have a clue how online service subscription works.

Uh, why would you think that. It is going to be at least $7.99/month, but most likely way more than that.

Well, I'll just wait and see, but 8$ a month sounds like a lot to me - they did not really talk about much yet, and I don't get how they want to roll this out either. Why they'd launch it 6 months after the console is a mystery to me as well. And only in specific countries first? How would that even work?

I just decide to not sweat or argue about this program until I see more stuff. And honestly, the pricing is a big point for me that would me go "wooot" or "well, okay" - as long as that is unclear, we are just sweating details here.
It's obvious that this is being compared to PS+ and the PS+ pricing. I am just saying, if we assume another pricing, we have another discussion.

So far it just doesn't make sense to me, but then again, PS+ doesn't make sense to me either, and people throw a rage fit over the games they get for free every month too. AND IT MAKES A SHIT LOAD OF MONEY FOR SONY. So it's not really hard to see why Nintendo would copy something like that.

Pokébank costs 5$ a year. So I kinda assume they price an online service reasonably?

Guess I am just too chill.

The system isn't even out, hell the official reveal isn't even 24 hours old, and people are already talking about relaunches. Pretty telling.

Telling of what exactly? The general negativity of people on the internet?

To the OP, I'm betting this gets revised before we actually see the paid version arrive. They're going to have to offer something more competitive than this when it comes to online services if they want people to pay. It sounds like a half-baked idea right now.

Uh, why would you think that. It is going to be at least $7.99/month, but most likely way more than that.

Why on earth would it cost so much? No one charges that much.

Greed. Simply greed. The prices, the 1 month trial for 30 year old games, prices on their addons wow. First party games that run at 900p they could jave done 1080p for zelfa but the game would have looked like ass. What a bunch of cheap asses.

sithtoast

Neo Member
If it's gonna be time limited, they need to take the SEGA Channel approach and give you a selection of games to play for the month and rotate them out.

jmdajr

Its like a Don Mattrick response. "If you dont want to pay the premium we have a solution for you!"

lol! I'm literally laughing at how fucking weak this proposition is.

The one thing I wanted Nintendo to come through with.

I should blame myself for believing! Shame on me!

qko

Honestly, this has been the only disappointing part for me of the Presentation (price point kinda but, looks like the system will be packed with accessories).

If paid online is going to lend you a game while other companies are giving you a game... then this needs to come down to paying like $4 a month or $30 a year. This is very limited compared to other services.

"Deals" are going a be a decent feature when there is a huge library and we won't see those benefits until year 3 (for example, XBOne deals this holiday were great because there was so much to choose from... after year 3, last year was ok, and the year before was only good if you still had your 360)

$20!year I could go for anything more and I'm probably not internet in .. of course I don't really buy Nintendo games to play online so

Telling of what exactly? The general negativity of people on the internet?

To the OP, I'm betting this gets revised before we actually see the paid version arrive. They're going to have to offer something more competitive than this when it comes to online services if they want people to pay. It sounds like a half-baked idea right now.

Why on earth would it cost so much? No one charges that much.

"Why are people so negative about this thing that even I admit sounds crazy and needs to be revised before launch? Typical internet negativity!"

The only difference betwem you and everyone else is you are giving them the undeserved benefit of the doubt that they will change the stupid bullshit they announced just last night as if Nintendo is infallible and never makes dumb, dated, backwards decisions and sticks with them.

Dierce

I guess Nintendo enjoys ripping off their fan base more than growing it. Knowing very well that emulation is so prevalent, especially for these systems. Why couldn't they at the very least release a large collection of games through their own subscription service.

Top Bottom