• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free NES/SNES Games for Nintendo Paid Service Only Playable For Free For One Month

Really glad I'm not that big of a Nintendo fan anymore. I'll never want them to fail and hope this succeeds for them but this is another example of why I'm glad I stopped caring after the GameCube.

higemaru

oh boy certain NES/SNES games are free for a month. What's the point even, that's not really an incentive to get online. Like PS+ has been lacking but at least we got Day of the Tentacle and some new indies recently. Old retro titles that have been available on the digital storefront for a decade for $5-$8 is not enticing whatsoever and I say this as a retro fan and a Nintendo fan.

I'm not much of an online gamer so I was hesitant to even bother subscribing to this in the first place but to not even try and win me over speaks to Nintendo's lack of understanding about what their customers want.

Dazzler

It's mind boggling that this is the decision they've come to

Nintendo could have set up a Virtual Console subscription service, bundled it with online play and created a sizeable regular income for themselves

How can such a big company handle things so poorly?

jett

D-Member
They're trials.

Nintendo's offering a one-month trial of a single game from the last century each month.

Just what the fudge, who's responsible for this kind of decision? How can anyone think this creates value?

HonMirin

If this service costs like 10 $ a year, I don't see the problem.

Can we please wait until they announce a price?
... You really think this is gonna be $10 a year?

Seriously?

Ok then...

OT, this is rediculous. Whoever does Nintendo's market research needs to be sacked. They don't have a clue how online service subscription works.

KingV

I do think the paid for online / use smartphone for voice chat / rent a nes game is by far the worst part of the Switch concept. It makes no sense to me.

The smartphone for voice chat is the one thing that makes perfect sense to me, because what would you plug a headset into? The unit itself is not a good option in tv mode, and being tethered to the joycons is not a good option for really active games, so I assume they went this way to avoid those issues but not be limited to bluetooth headsets.

The one issue I can't figure out is how does one play with a headset and be able to hear voice and game sounds?

You know, it is funny. I thought PS+ has been a bit lacking for around a year, but this really puts it to perspective just how much worse it could be.

_woLf

This has been some xbox one-reveal-level bullshit.

1 month is 43800 minutes. Have you ever played a game for 40 thousand anything? Food for thought.

yeah, because people play their video game of choice for literally every single minute of every single day for a month and then move on. you've gotta be trolling.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm guessing it will be €30-35 a year. Which is more than I hope for, but just in the range that you think hmm well maybe. I'm sure they focus tested it.

Wtf haha it's as if they hired Don Matrick and never mentionned it. It's almost like Nintendo is trying to beat the Xbox one launch LMAO

Nerazar

A NES/SNES game for only a month. This is pretty much the stringiest way they can offer free games on a paid online service.

There are no "free" games on a paid service :) But I get what you mean. I would suggest giving them some time to explain and to see this as a first step. I mean, it seems that people would be less angry if there was no "free" game at all.

daxgame

Well, at the moment I don't plan to pay to play online on the Switch so that's definitely not convincing me Nintendo.
Anything over 19$ for this and I won't care.

Nephtes

Not for X1 games.

You keep the games on Xbox Live until your subscription expires.
If your subscription never expires, you keep the games forever...

I don't know if this is decision on Nintendo's part is one or a lack of intelligence or overabundance of arrogance.

AsakuraZ

Man I might just stay offline with this console. Everything else was lining up nicely with this console, especially with the titles we'll be seeing but this, I can't justify this online shit.

If the cost of the online isn't below $30, forget it. The features just won't match the cost.

khaaan

Keep in mind guys that these aren't just VC titles though. They are adding online play to all of them. So that's probably why it's limited to NES/SNES.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

And that is a legitimately cool feature to add, but only letting you play them for the month they're available is ridiculous.

Lol Nintendo.

Sony and MS don't even do that with games which are newer.

And Nintendo will only give us 30 days with games that are 20 years old. lol.

bbd23

I just don't understand anything that happened last night at all. just unbelievable.

PhysicalAlarmingDamselfly.gif

Mrbob

Seriously what has Nintendo done so far with Switch pricing to instill any confidence the online pay cost will be "cheap".

That's news to me! Pretty amazing move by MS.

Yeah its pretty good but they fixed the glitch in the Matrix with XB1 games.

It's absolutely dumb.

Letting people keep the game is a great way to limit the number of people unsubscribing from the service.

From a pure business perspective this decision doesn't make any sense. It looks like they expect people to subscribe to this as well as paying for those VC games after that month but who's going to do that except for diehard Nintendo fans? A month is more then enough to complete any of those games.

I just don't understand the way they think.

Nintendo fucked this up. PSN and XBox gold are more generous than this. What the hell. They also charge you to play online without 3rd party games on the console. What are they doing?

Rezae

Well, i can't keep up with the games releases anyhow so 12 extra games per year split into 1 per month will suffice well enough...

I think many are missing that if nintendo GAVE you a free game too keep forever...after a few years you would own all the games you want so to speak)

It´s different for the other two (sony n ms) who can give you games that someone else has made and they don´t care about that....I doubt i will get i.e gears of war or wipeout for free....

One has to take these things in consideration....

Also nothing has been said about third party games or indies regarding this subscription...

Not sure if serious...

Yeah why let you keep them? In two years you WOULD own all the games! Not like NES/SNES have a huge library or anything. I look forward to my NIGC (Nintendo Instant Game Collection) being at ... 1. For eternity.

This is a ridiculously stupid idea. How could they possibly think this was going to add value to the fee?

You're basically paying for something that was free last gen and getting random useless party favors tacked on.

liquidtmd

Banned
If this is more than £10 a year, Nintendo deserve to be absolutely laughed at by everyone, everywhere.

Sony get shat on monthly by large portions of GAF for giving PS4 owners 3-4 games a month at £32ish a year, many of which have been stellar titles (Resident Evil HD, Journey, Transformers)

1 NES OR SNES game a month which you lose

Lol Nintendo.

Sony and MS don't even do that with games which are newer.

And Nintendo will only give us 30 days with games that are 20 years old. lol.

Apparently Sony and Microsoft don't exist in Nintendo's universe. It's pure arrogance and it will bite them in the ass sooner rather than later.

Audioboxer

Man that is some hot BS. I'm sure some may chalk this up to "GAF being unfair on Nintendo", but nah, this is BS. Couple in whatever that chat app is, no ethernet for "serious" MP and a fee on top and what are you doing Nintendo?

HotHamBoy

Hey guys, don't forget that if you want to play VC games or 2D Fighters with a proper D-Pad then you will need the $70 pro controller and you still won't have one in handheld mode because don't you want to be able to share the joy?

So you pay for a service and they give you games that expire after 30 days? or you just can't claim the games anymore and add them to your collection after 30 days? I don't understand

You get to play the game for 30 days, then it disappears and is replaced by another 30 year old rom.

NoJ's execs have their heads so far up their own ass man I swear.

Top Bottom