• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free NES/SNES Games for Nintendo Paid Service Only Playable For Free For One Month

Squire

Banned
I feel like their strategy here is to bleed the base dry on the offchance this never takes off with the mainstream.

Everywhere you turn you need more money. That's... not how people think of Nintendo.

The only way this would be remotely worthwhile would be if the user got to choose the free classic game out of the entire library. 12 one-month rentals of whatever dregs Nintendo decides to bestow is almost insulting.

Berordn

The absolute max this service should cost is $30.

What's the chance Nintendo offers a larger discount on sale items like Playstation Plus?

Given how rudimentary it is I'd say even that's too much.

I'm liking the system but online service is a mess.

Keep in mind guys that these aren't just VC titles though. They are adding online play to all of them. So that's probably why it's limited to NES/SNES.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Peltz

You have to tip your hat to them. They really don't give a fuck about the number of sales anymore. They'd rather milk their most loyal fan base.

sajj316

Wake the hell up Nintendo. Wake the hell up. You have two online services to reference when making these decisions. This is VC. V freaking C.20+ year old SNES games.

Absolutely zero value. Combine that with not knowing really anything about the implementation of their online service.

Dreathlock

I am really going to cancel my preorder in the next few days. This console will bomb extremely hard. ONLY good thing is zelda. Everything else seems like a rip off. 32gb storage in 2017???

maxcriden

I don't understand. These VC titles are having online play added, and will you be able to buy only the regular versions after or also the ones with added online play?

Reallink

At this point I'm guessing there will not be a discounted annual subscription, it'll be a flat $8 or $10 a month for everyone.

m00h

Banned
Wow. After this, if someone seriously claims Nintendo isn't doomed, then he/she definitely lost control over his/her life.

Ogawa-san

If this service costs like 10 $ a year, I don't see the problem.

Can we please wait until they announce a price?
Why would they inconvenience literally everyone involved, from both sides, for a mere tenner a year?

I don't see it being less than $30. And I don't see it being worth it either.

NickMitch

Well, i can't keep up with the games releases anyhow so 12 extra games per year split into 1 per month will suffice well enough...

I think many are missing that if nintendo GAVE you a free game too keep forever...after a few years you would own all the games you want so to speak)

It´s different for the other two (sony n ms) who can give you games that someone else has made and they don´t care about that....I doubt i will get i.e gears of war or wipeout for free....

One has to take these things in consideration....

Also nothing has been said about third party games or indies regarding this subscription...

Nintendo gets afraid of giving you games without you paying. This should not surprise anyone. but an online service doesn't have to have free games and they are considering doing it their way. So, you pay to play or you don't. Maybe if numbers are low enough they will change it up...

I use to feel Nintendo was pretty good on pricing hardware but all of these new pricing models are sort of confusing and a bit surprising to me.

But then again? Not too surprising when you consider how they have handled game pricing though. I hope that guy enjoys all these high prices (the one that likes nintendo games to stay original price)

An absolute joke.
How can they possibly think they can't afford to "give away" ROMs to paying customers?

To be fair you don't "keep" them on PSN or XBL either.
Yes you do. As long as you have a subscription active (even after a break of any period) you will have access to all redeemed titles.

This is terrible. Just terrible.

You can't even have access to all the games for the length of your sub to the service? Nintendo is truly awful at offering value, IMO. Yes, I know that value is relative, so I'm really talking about their value to me, but the one thing they've given good value on since the Wii came out (the NES Classic), people can't even find anywhere.

This is a blatant "bleed the diehards" strategy because Nintendo fans will say, "Well, at least now I can play SMW online with my friends" or whatever and roll with it.

hohoXD123

A NES/SNES game for only a month. This is pretty much the stingiest way they can offer free games on a paid online service.

will we ever see gamecube or wii games?

I feel it would at least be okay with those level of games. But who really cares about nes games? People can play nes games on pc and android

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why would they inconvenience literally everyone involved, from both sides, for a mere tenner a year.

Hubris. Not thinking of how many people would be turned off even entertaining buying the switch because of paid online.

$10 x the amount of people playing willing to pay for online is still a lot.

Rhuidan

Neo Member
That sounds awful. I'm failing to see the value.

I mean, PS+ is bad enough, but at least you keep those games for as long as you're subscribed, which is better than this.

While I don't agree with this, the games you get are awful, who cares if I get broforce or whatever forever.

If these are solid, wanted games with a 10% bonus for buying it in that month, I'm sold.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Yes. Can only voice chat via phone app Lol
clapping-ha-ha-wtf-shocked-laughing-13538573029.gif

Why wouldn't I just use a free app on my phone instead of paying to use their app?

Top Bottom