• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

French Press because its how coffee was invented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After not owning a french press for I think a year and a half. I finally bought one again. First brewed cup I had was wonderful. I bought an organic colombian ground coffee to go with it. I don't have my own coffee grinder(yet)

I also have an espresso machine but its not the same. I get flavor and texture as well as full control of strength with a french press, and I just love the taste mixed with milk.

Instructions
1. Heat your water. Water for French press coffee should be heated to 195°F — not boiling (212°F at sea level). If you use a stovetop kettle, take it off just before it reaches a boil and then use a thermometer to check and see when it cools to the right temperature. A lot of newer electric kettles, though, have a setting for this temperature.

2. Measure out 1/2 cup coffee beans. Or not, if you want a stronger batch go with more.

3. Grind the coffee beans on the coarsest setting in a burr grinder, or in brief, sharp pulses in a blade grinder.

4. Your coffee should look something like this: Evenly-sized grains of ground coffee.

5. Pour the ground coffee into your French press, then pour about 32 ounces of hot water, which will come to about an inch below the top of the press. Stir vigorously, using an up and down motion. With plastic of wooden spoon.

6. Steep for 4 and a half minutes (for a fairly robust pot). When the timer goes off, immediately press the coffee, and pour it into a carafe. You do not want to leave the coffee sitting on top of the grounds, as that will make it bitter. Drink immediately.

I got this: Bialetti Preziosa for 20 euros.

115.jpg

French press coffee left overnight also makes the best Ice Caffe or Ice Tea as well. Perfect for summers.

I'm completely in favor of using a french press. Its just great as far as I am concerned. The thread title has me confused, the french press was the first way to brew coffee (a rudimentary analogue) by the herders in the area of Yemen and Ethiopia?

My understanding was that coffee was "invented" observing the effects these beans had on herded animals eating the coffee beans (probably goats). I never have heard of what technique was used, I always assumed it was akin to cowboy coffee - loose grounds in a pot of boiling water that are let to settle after brewing, similar to Turkish coffee too.

I'm completely in favor of using a french press. Its just great as far as I am concerned. The thread title has me confused, the french press was the first way to brew coffee (a rudimentary analogue) by the herders in the area of Yemen and Ethiopia?

My understanding was that coffee was "invented" observing the effects these beans had on herded animals eating the coffee beans (probably goats). I never have heard of what technique was used, I always assumed it was akin to cowboy coffee - loose grounds in a pot of boiling water that are let to settle after brewing, similar to Turkish coffee too.

Thread title is actually a lie, but a variation of the french press has existed in europe for many hundreds of years. But the modern french press design is actually less than 100 years old. You are correct.

giga

I like French presses, but I use my aeropress more often now because it's faster and removes all the coffee grinds with the filter. Tastes just as good, IMO.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Enjoying a cup of french press coffee right now.

bro1

Banned
Love mine! I didn't know though that I'm heating the water too hot. Will have to stop doing that. The only drawl back is that it takes a while to brew a lot of coffee and I end up using a lot of grounds.

DJ_Lae

I've been using the same french press for about a decade now - it's held up surprisingly well considering it's a cheap model with plastic handle and lid (glass hasn't broken, either).

I was looking in stores for a potential replacement in the event that mine does break, and couldn't believe how expensive they get. You can buy ones that are upwards of $80, for a damn glass cylinder with handles and a metal plunger/strainer.

The only thing I haven't gotten (that I should) is a burr grinder, as the little electric blade ones don't do a consistent job of grinding coarsely and generally leave a tiny bit of bean silt in your cup at the end.

Guevara

And don't forget its best friend:

41PvifEtLCL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

Now you can enjoy fresh ground coffee at home in about the same time it takes to make terrible coffee!

I have a travel french press and I keep ground coffee on my desk at work. I just scoop some grinds in and press it myself. It works out to close to the same price as the 25cent k-cups they charge us for at work, if I get the coffee on sale. The difference in quality is amazing though. I use a finer ground than you're supposed to with a french press though, because for some reason it tastes more rich for me when I do, so I have to let the grounds that escape the press settle for a minute or so before I can pour it into my cup. Even then there is a little bit of mess in my cup at the end, but it's worth it for what I feel is a better flavor.

KiKaL

Var just beat me to it but I moved from a French Press to an AeroPress for my morning coffee.

I typically use my AeroPress because it's quicker and easier to clean up. I also find the taste to be pretty similar to what my French Press produces. However if I am making coffee for another person also I will usually stick to the French Press since it produces more.

What is the best cheap coffee that you guys use? I am a milk/sugar heathen so I don't want to buy extremely expensive beans that I'm going to lose the complexity of, but I also don't want absolute shit coffee. I usually buy Wegmans brand or Eight O'clock and grind it in the store.

desertdroog

I like French presses, but I use my aeropress more often now because it's faster and removes all the coffee grinds with the filter. Tastes just as good, IMO.

I was a die hard French Press user, it is still my second go to for making coffee.

Then I was given this for Christmas 2012.

Aerobie Coffee Press (yes from the flying disc manufacturer)
aero_press_03.jpg

SmokyDave

I thought I was about to discover some exciting new way of making coffee, but you're just talking about a cafetière :(

I'm with you though, if I've got time I always use the cafetière. In a rush, the espresso machine does the trick. Not as much fun though.

andycapps

I thought I was about to discover some exciting new way of making coffee, but you're just talking about a cafetière :(

I'm with you though, if I've got time I always use the cafetière. In a rush, the espresso machine does the trick. Not as much fun though.

It's so strange that Brits kept the French word for coffee maker instead of calling it a press pot or French press.

For me, I enjoy French press the most and that's what I drink on the weekends. I have a good burr grinder that I think is absolutely necessary for using a French press.During the week, I drink free "Keurig style" crap at work. It's not great, but free.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I switched to a french press less than a year ago, coming from a shitty standard drip coffee maker. It makes far superior coffee, encourages me to buy better beans, makes just the amount I want, easy to clean and takes up next to no space in my small kitchen.

I would recommend it to any coffee drinker.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I've never had French press coffee before, but I got an Aeropress a few weeks ago and I'm never going back.

desertdroog

There are cheaper grinders you can look to.

The key aspect of a quality grinder, regardless of price, is that it is a burr grinder.

For me, I enjoy French press the most and that's what I drink on the weekends. I have a good burr grinder that I think is absolutely necessary for using a French press.

IMO a burr grinder is absolutely essential for making any sort of coffee. I switched only recently from a Cuisinart blade grinder and I'm seriously mad at myself for not switching sooner.

edit: ha shoulda refreshed... glad everybody's on the burr tip

Var

NO no no no, don't buy a shitty grinder!

This changed my coffee-drinking life:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JFCRN6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yep, awesome grinder. Pretty expensive though. The Encore is really good for everything but really fine espresso grinds and available for a lot less:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007F183LK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sometimes you can find a really good deal on a refurb grinder on the companies site too:

http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?listcategories

NewFresh

Bodum makes one that's a third of that price, maybe less. It's well worth the money to get a burr grinder. It will reduce the amount of sediment in the cup considerably. Along with giving you a smoother, more consistent cup of coffee every time.

Alternatively, you could get this $30 hand grinder, which is what I use. It takes about two minutes, and if you're already doing everything else yourself, why not grind too? Like a boss.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
You can't make enough coffee with those. Maybe for two people.

I don't know what's wrong with your drip machines, my coffee taste great. It's all about the whole beans and a grinder. French press won't make bad coffee good.

I'm not spending $300 on a grinder. My coffee isn't that serious.

There are cheaper grinders you can look to.

The key aspect of a quality grinder, regardless of price, is that it is a burr grinder.

This basically. The more expensive burr grinders are for people who want more control over the grounds, and as a general thing less expensive burr grinders can't grind fine enough to make proper espresso. For french press it is overkill for anyone but the most enthusiastic.

But the most important aspect is always to get fresh coffee. A grinder is wasted on beans that have been laying about for months after roasting. If you can get beans that have been roasted within two weeks, the taste difference is incredible.

You can't make enough coffee with those. Maybe for two people.

I don't know what's wrong with your drip machines, my coffee taste great. It's all about the whole beans and a grinder. French press won't make bad coffee good.

You have your rituals, we have ours.

desertdroog

Alternatively, you could get this $30 hand grinder, which is what I use. It takes about two minutes, and if you're already doing everything else yourself, why not grind too? Like a boss.

I purchased a Hario Skerton hand grinder to take camping with me this last weekend. While it works well with my Aerobie coffee press (requires a very fine grind, between espresso and turkish) it wasn't suited for a consistent grind for anything coarser due to this:

Hario Skerton issue

Your mileage may vary, but it is something to consider if you are looking for a consistent grind.

Var

This basically. The more expensive burr grinders are for people who want more control over the grounds, and as a general thing less expensive burr grinders can't grind fine enough to make proper espresso. For french press it is overkill for anyone but the most enthusiastic.

But the most important aspect is always to get fresh coffee. A grinder is wasted on beans that have been laying about for months after roasting. If you can get beans that have been roasted within two weeks, the taste difference is incredible.

This 100%.

Yep yep. I use mine for various different sized grounds, between French press, drip, my espresso machine, aeropress. I should have specified that the grinder posted was for my needs and use cases, not for everyone's. A 70-80$ grinder would probably be fine for nearly everyone, especially if you're only doing drip/frenchpress

The best coffe is a synergy of beans->grinder->machine.

Buying a shit grinder for 30$ isn't going to make your fresh beans much better than folgers. French press isn't going to help much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom