• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software responds to Dark Souls II graphics downgrade concerns

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Not surprised in the slightest, I feel sorry for you guys pretending the PC version is going to be anything other than slightly better textures and ability to play at a higher framerate and resolution. FROM won't deliver what you are hoping for.

The original issue is From and Namco False advertising and misleading (it's still the big thing here, that why From removed the misleading screenshots). PC version wasn't really the main point in this situation.

People who thought the PC version will look any different were the minority here and were just hoping for better ending to this mess.

RK9039

What I'm interested in right now is that there are two videos on the Steam page which do not work, and this is after the Dark Souls 2 page was updated a few days ago.

Hey Namco, get it fixed.

Ghazi

What I'm interested in right now is that there are two videos on the Steam page which do not work, and this is after the Dark Souls 2 page was updated a few days ago.

Hey Namco, get it fixed.
Probably pre-downgrade footage they want gone, they're covering their asses.

Dark Souls 2 screenshots with higher quality graphics removed from Steam Store page

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/da...s-removed-from-steam-store-page/1100-6418649/

So.. If you're still hoping for that lighting to be in the PC version..

O0adam.gif

RK9039

Probably pre-downgrade footage they want gone, they're covering their asses.

No, they didn't remove any videos. I think there was only two videos last week, after they updated the page and removed some of the screenshots they also added a few videos (Cursed and Hollow Lullaby) and the two that don't play.

Also the first video is from E3 2013, so they didn't remove that.

Ghazi

No, they didn't remove any videos. I think there was only two videos last week, after they updated the page and removed some of the screenshots they also added a few videos (Cursed and Hollow Lullaby) and the two that don't play.

Also the first video is from E3 2013, so they didn't remove that.
Ah, ok, my mistake. Dunno what they could be doing, then.

S0N0S

Looking forward to the petition to add the original reveal lighting to the PC version. Also, really sick of seeing games being held back by 9 year old HW.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Durante, plz..

I hope Durante don't fix anything here just like how he didn't' fix MG Rising (PC port is still full of bugs) and I hope he don't bother with them anymore as long as they keep doing this crap. same with Boris (ENBSeries) and other modders. with DS1 it was their first PC port so that was ok but no one should fix From mess again, just let From lose money on PC because their laziness and incompetence.

lifa-cobex

I hope Durante refuse to fix anything here just like how he didn't fix MG Rising (PC port is still full of bugs) and I hope he don't bother with them anymore as long as they keep doing this crap. same with Boris (ENBSeries) and other modders. with DS1 it was their first PC port so that was ok but no one should fix From mess again, just let From lose money on PC because their laziness and incompetence.

I cant imagine it would be much of a hard hit to overall sales.

liquidtmd

Banned
I hope Durante refuse to fix anything here just like how he didn't fix MG Rising (PC port is still full of bugs) and I hope he don't bother with them anymore as long as they keep doing this crap. same with Boris (ENBSeries) and other modders. with DS1 it was their first PC port so that was ok but no one should fix From mess again, just let From lose money on PC because their laziness and incompetence.

Seconded. The PC is not a niche platform, this is not a small developer, theyve had experience now and independent modders shouldn't improve things in their products that shouldn't need improving.

RK9039

I hope Durante don't fix anything here just like how he didn't' fix MG Rising (PC port is still full of bugs) and I hope he don't bother with them anymore as long as they keep doing this crap. same with Boris (ENBSeries) and other modders. with DS1 it was their first PC port so that was ok but no one should fix From mess again, just let From lose money on PC because their laziness and incompetence.

I disagree, this isn't the same kind of mess as the Dark Souls 1 port. Dark Souls 2 on PC is 1080p and 60fps, apparently. If Durante wants to do stuff with Dark Souls 2 I don't see a problem with that.

Umbasa.

Unless they fuck up the resolution and framerate again is there anything he can really do here?

Of course, DSFix did more than just resolution and framerate.

Although I've been hearing how Dark Souls 2 might have some anti-cheat system on Steam which means mods won't work with the game?

Havel

Unless they fuck up the resolution and framerate again is there anything he can really do here?

If the lighting is still in the game's code, just disabled, then perhaps.

In all seriousness, I don't expect Durante or anyone to do anything, though. He shouldn't have to do this.

k4n3

Banned
im not shocked at all... i mean the PC port is just that a port like NBA2k14 was just a port of the old gen systems and not what the ps4/xb1 got they are not going to go back in and rework the game just for the PC. you will see modders hack the game and maybe they can re enable the lighting engine but i doubt the code is even in there anymore

if you truly what back what we saw from the original gameplay you will have to wait for a next gen version

Salcin

Banned
I don't understand, have they released new PC screens? PC downgrade confirmed?

pls someone answer, worried gamer here :c

I cant imagine it would be much of a hard hit to overall sales.

Seriously. The first port was actually near unplayable, so the fix might have gotten them a good number of sales, but this one is probably going to be fine minus the visuals we wanted. I really don't think ENB series mod racked up sales for Skyrim, so I wouldn't worry about that.

kick51

Banned
Seriously. The first port was actually near unplayable, so the fix might have gotten them a good number of sales, but this one is probably going to be fine minus the visuals we wanted. I really don't think ENB series mod racked up sales for Skyrim, so I wouldn't worry about that.

unplayable? you mean with m+k i guess?

worked fine out of the box with a controller aside from the loltastic resolution

Yeah tbh I'm in for the 60fps. lol
Same here.

The framerate on the PS3 version is so choppy that I have trouble following the action when I change the camera angle with the right analog stick. And the game is harder to control when the framerate drops, too-- my timing is thrown off and it seems like button presses aren't always recognized or buffered correctly. There's a handful of areas where the game doesn't run like crap, and I'll just spin the camera around for a few minutes, fantasizing about what a stable framerate could be like.

As sad as it sounds, the game could still run in 720p and I would gladly pay another $50 for 60fps; the performance in the console version is just that bad.

Varna

All this is going to look especially bad once the Next-gen version is announced.

I really do believe they will go there

A-V-B

All this is going to look especially bad once the Next-gen version is announced.

Oh, they absolutely will! :)

Then two years later they'll release a "director's cut" on the PC for seventy dollars.

Moongazer

If the pc version doesn't have the pre-downgrade lighting and if the likely next-gen port does, I seriously pray for From.

Varna

What makes you think a next gen version wouldn't just look like the PC version?

It seems like they had something with much more sophisticated lightning working. They just couldn't get it to run reasonably well on consoles.

The real question is why won't they release this on PC now?

The answer is money

A-V-B

What makes you think a next gen version wouldn't just look like the PC version?

Because they're going to have to sell the next-gen versions as being visual upgrades from last gen, and I doubt they'll just get away with a resolution increase.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

if this happens this actually make this entire situation even worse. I mean they already deep into this deceptive and misleading gamers and media shit swamp but this will be like they downgraded it on purpose to have a better version for full price later on. sure From got a free pass this time but if they show a "complete edition" later on it wont end well for them.

A-V-B

if this happens this actually make this entire situation even worse. I mean they already deep into this deceptive and misleading gamers and media shit swamp but this will be like they downgraded it on purpose to have a better version for full price later on. sure From got a free pass this time but if they show a "complete edition" later on it wont end well for them.

Sure it will. Fans will find some way to justify it in their minds, and continue buying Dark Souls games. I mean, "we're in it for the gameplay after all, not the graphics!"

Hope you don't mind From Software riding that character flaw to the bank for a decade.

Soriku

Because they're going to have to sell the next-gen versions as being visual upgrades from last gen, and I doubt they'll just get away with a resolution increase.

I don't think I've seen an upgraded version with as big of an upgrade that a hypothetical next gen Dark Souls 2 with pre-downgrade lighting and assets would get. 1080p/60 FPS with some better textures, and just being available on next gen can be enough.

Remember that even the architecture has changed...it'd never look exactly like the original version anyway.

A-V-B

I don't think I've seen an upgraded version with as big of an upgrade that a hypothetical next gen Dark Souls 2 with pre-downgrade lighting and assets would get.

What about the next-gen tomb raider upgrade? A good deal of that was upgrading to PC level quality, and doing some improvements on other bits here and there like on Lara.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Two completely different discussions.

This is also the only post I can see on this page that uses the words "lazy" and "incompetent" so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.
Was responding to this:
Sorry, I should have quoted it in the first place.

A-V-B

Besides, having PS4/Xbone version look like the downgraded PS3 version just with higher resolution... and having the same primitive lighting system and barebone levels would probably get them obliterated in reviews.

Top Bottom