• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software responds to Dark Souls II graphics downgrade concerns

Graphics have a good chance of breaking your immersion, that's one good reason to avoid it.

It's not just the graphics in this case, it feels out of place with the lighting. Especially when it's been pointed out and you actually see what this thread is talking about.

Performance is also a mess and can break immersion, loading times, framerate etc.

dsk1210

I am still damn excited for this game, I am just hoping for the best but expecting the worst, hopefully FROM blows me away with a fully fleshed out PC version.

Xpliskin

PC version is the same ?

Damn that sucks.

Why spend time on highly detailed models, environments and shaders to finally remove them from the finished product ?

They need to hire more capable renderer coders ...

Haunted

Wow this one is such bullshit, having just gotten to that area last night that screenshot makes me sad
Reading that this screenshot made someone who's actually seen the scene in-game sad, makes me sad.

:(

/still holds out hope for some PC mod community magic

Eusis

PC version is the same ?

Damn that sucks.

Why spend time on highly detailed models, environments and shaders to finally remove them from the finished product ?

Or recognize their limits earlier and not get people expecting too much. It's likely the PS3/360 simply couldn't go as far as they wanted, not unless they severely compromised the game in some way. And if it's down to prettier yet smaller and more linear areas or uglier yet larger, more open areas I'll take the latter anyway day, ESPECIALLY for this series. If I want the former I'd just get TLoU and replay it or something. Or get through something like Metro Last Light, whichever.

PC version is looking to be the same as console but with the enhancements they already announced (based on the info we have thus far)

Other than that though these are still just predictions and assumptions. We will k ow for sure what the state of the PC version is when they start showing more

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
PC version is looking to be the same as console but with the enhancements they already announced (based on the info we have thus far)

Other than that though these are still just predictions and assumptions. We will k ow for sure what the state of the PC version is when they start showing more

Just like they showed so much of the real console version before release. This is where PC games not leaking early as much if at all anymore hurts the launch day adopters there. We'll only know how the PC version looks an hour after release.

FROM's word has sort of been reduced to shit after this whole thing. You can't pull a rug at this scale and not have it affect you.

I'm having fun playing it, though I admit that it could look better in some places. End of day, I bought it for the gameplay, and I'll buy it on PC for the mod support and community.

Especially when PC is lead platform, doesn't make sense at all.

Time

Im guess the alpha assets still exist but they ran out of time to bring the entire game to that level of fidelity.

Who knows though until they start opening up more about the internal development.

That said it is a huge ass game and there is plenty of beautiful areas to offset the crappy looking ones lol.

PC version will clearly be prettier, faster and better but just wont feature the very best of what they had shown at the reveal.

Raven77

PC version is the same ?

Damn that sucks.

Well, you see, this is what those of us who are mad at FROM / NAMCO have been saying since this whole situation came to light.

IF the PC version does indeed look like the console version, then that means that with the incredible power of gaming PC's, the only explanation for the disappearance of the "better looking version" is that it was all just deception and it was never their intention release that game.

If the PC version does look like the console version, then FROM and NAMCO purposely deceived customers. No other way around it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
uh? Perfectly good reason for not playing a great game? I don't think so. good reason to complain? Sure. I'm not being dismissive, just logical.
Nobody is obligated to play any game. If someone is put off by a bait and switch that is perfectly logical.

It's not just the graphics in this case, it feels out of place with the lighting. Especially when it's been pointed out and you actually see what this thread is talking about.

Performance is also a mess and can break immersion, loading times, framerate etc.

I never understood this about load times, when the game has no load times.
The game is just one big level with no load screen separating any section of the game.

Unless you count dying or using the teleport. Then this seems to be a retail PS3 specific issue.
Not a PS3 digital or 360 issue.

So I think I made a weird discovery and not sure if someone else posted it. The pre-downgrade Looking Glass Knight model is within the games files and glitches through when you're playing the actual game. Was watching "This is how you don't play Dark Souls 2" video and saw it. Went to DSP's channel and made some pics.
Follow-up .gifs that I also posted over in the other thread:

lugstf.gif
njqtgi.gif

Seems to happen whenever the Knight steps on where the pillars used to be.

Sullichin

I never understood this about load times, when the game has no load times.
The game is just one big level with no load screen separating any section of the game.

Unless you count dying or using the teleport. Then this seems to be a retail PS3 specific issue.
Not a PS3 digital or 360 issue.

There's a load going from the forest to the Bastille, whereas DS1 didn't have loading in similar situations (Sens to AL is instant). You're also warping to majula constantly to level and upgrade things. I'm looking at loading screens a lot in this game.

Do people still honestly believe that? It's lip service and nothing more.

Yes I do. This doesn't mean the game will use different assets. Most of the cutbacks where probably do to starting on a much stronger platform and having to cut everything down so it worked on consoles.

epmode

Practically every console game of the last decade has PC as the "lead platform" but that doesn't mean that the games won't be hobbled to account for comparatively underpowered console hardware.

tengiants

Well, you see, this is what those of us who are mad at FROM / NAMCO have been saying since this whole situation came to light.

IF the PC version does indeed look like the console version, then that means that with the incredible power of gaming PC's, the only explanation for the disappearance of the "better looking version" is that it was all just deception and it was never their intention release that game.

If the PC version does look like the console version, then FROM and NAMCO purposely deceived customers. No other way around it.

Damn, if this is the way it's going to be spun, my recommendation to From/Namco is to kill off the PC version altogether.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This is simply not true.[/]

Ds2 on ps3 runs way worse than ds1 on average. Blight town runs worse but most areas in ds1 run way better than ds2

Ds2 is unplayable on ps3 because of almost CONSTANT low stuttering 20-ies framerate imo. Ds1 ran at 30 way more often :(

Yep, been playing DS1 again on PS3 and the difference in framerate improvement is immediately noticeable between the two games. DS1 has dips now and again(and Blighttown is a huge exception), but it mostly runs very smooth and at a higher average than DS2. You will feel it the moment you play flip back and forth between both games. Anyone that says DS1 on PS3 runs worse on average has not actually done a comparison.

Eusis

Yep, been playing DS1 again on PS3 and the difference in framerate improvement is immediately noticeable between the two games. DS1 has dips now and again(and Blighttown is a huge exception), but it mostly runs very smooth and at a higher average than DS2. You will feel it the moment you play flip back and forth between both games. Anyone that says DS1 on PS3 runs worse on average has not actually done a comparison.
If it runs worse on average it's kind of by default because it can never get as high as DSII and DSII rarely if ever gets as low, thus innately skewing it in its favor. However you'd still spend most of DS1 at a rock solid 30 FPS, and if we could hypothetically unlock the FPS similar to DSII I'm reasonably confident DS1 would generally run a bit smoother than 30 FPS and may even be at the same FPS in Blighttown that most of DSII was at, that engine did jump down to 15 FPS whenever it went a bit below 30 so that alone would've caused it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sorry, but everyone feeling like they've been purposefully deceived really need to wake up and get some perspective.

"No other way around it"? Where do you get off making claims like that? How do you expect anyone - devs, publishers, fellow fans - to take you seriously when you come off the bat with such an aggressive stance?

Even if the PC version looks like the console versions (which it won't with improved framerate, higher resolution, etc.), you have not been deceived. Of course it's always From's intention to release the best looking game they can. The fact is, they were lagging behind not only tech-wise, but graphics programming-wise at the end of last gen. It's simply a case of great concept versus below average implementation.

Like many, I'm currently playing through DS2 on PS3. I've come across many areas compared in the countless screenshots, gifs and videos claiming that From/Bandai have deceived us. It doesn't make me sad, and if you're truly enjoying the game for what it is, it won't make you sad, either.

I will not argue against the claim that DS2's art/graphics are inconsistent. Some areas look amazing, both conceptually and graphically. Others not so much. There are some noticable flat/tiled textures that make certain interiors look blocky. Unfortunately, these areas were probably rushed, and no PC/next gen version is going to fix that. Don't get me wrong; some areas look just like the pre-release builds, if not better. I know the whole "balancing act" response from Bandai (not From, btw; they had no idea about that particular piece of PR) was not received well by some people, but it certainly feels as if they've chopped and changed a lot since what we saw during previews, purely for the sake of fine-tuning gameplay/framerate/visuals/etc. If you expect the entire game to look like those vertical slices (that were made to show the target for that particular build), then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The fact is that it's a huge game, and it's possible the developers got a bit too ambitious with their limitations at the time - especially when you consider it was largely a different team behind it.

From are currently employing new artists and new tech in order to "catch up" for next gen, because no doubt they will really need to shine on that front. Though you can be sure the one thing they absolutely will not sacrifice is gameplay, and this is still consistent throughout DS2 (this is where things get subjective, but I think you can agree from the general reception of the game worldwide that it's perfectly sound as a complete package).

I'm sorry, but everyone feeling like they've been purposefully deceived really need to wake up and get some perspective.

"No other way around it"? Where do you get off making claims like that? How do you expect anyone - devs, publishers, fellow fans - to take you seriously when you come off the bat with such an aggressive stance?

Even if the PC version looks like the console versions (which it won't with improved framerate, higher resolution, etc.), you have not been deceived. Of course it's always From's intention to release the best looking game they can. The fact is, they were lagging behind not only tech-wise, but graphics programming-wise at the end of last gen. It's simply a case of great concept versus below average implementation.

Like many, I'm currently playing through DS2 on PS3. I've come across many areas compared in the countless screenshots, gifs and videos claiming that From/Bandai have deceived us. It doesn't make me sad, and if you're truly enjoying the game for what it is, it won't make you sad, either.

I will not argue against the claim that DS2's art/graphics are inconsistent. Some areas look amazing, both conceptually and graphically. Others not so much. There are some noticable flat/tiled textures that make certain interiors look blocky. Unfortunately, these areas were probably rushed, and no PC/next gen version is going to fix that. Don't get me wrong; some areas look just like the pre-release builds, if not better. I know the whole "balancing act" response from Bandai (not From, btw; they had no idea about that particular piece of PR) was not received well by some people, but it certainly feels as if they've chopped and changed a lot since what we saw during previews, purely for the sake of fine-tuning gameplay/framerate/visuals/etc. If you expect the entire game to look like those vertical slices (that were made to show the target for that particular build), then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The fact is that it's a huge game, and it's possible the developers got a bit too ambitious with their limitations at the time - especially when you consider it was largely a different team behind it.

From are currently employing new artists and new tech in order to "catch up" for next gen, because no doubt they will really need to shine on that front. Though you can be sure the one thing they absolutely will not sacrifice is gameplay, and this is still consistent throughout DS2 (this is where things get subjective, but I think you can agree from the general reception of the game worldwide that it's perfectly sound as a complete package).

Thanks for this post. As a person waiting for the PC version the negativity was getting to me and making me worry.

Garcia

(this is where things get subjective, but I think you can agree from the general reception of the game worldwide that it's perfectly sound as a complete package).

Subjectivity is also present when judging the game visual style, not just the gameplay. As an example: I don't understand how can you actually claim that some parts of the game look better than the slice/demo we've all been comparing it to. That's pretty subjective to me because, as it stands, I truly wish the game resembled the quality of that original "vision" they showcased.

Another example: To you "some areas look amazing, both conceptually and graphically. Others not so much." This, to me, is being way too generous. The bad parts look grotesque, unacceptable for a late era PS3 game. They needed at least an extra year to polish their game.

All hopes placed on the PC version now; with proper modding and tweaking the game might reach a good point of equilibrium, both aesthetically and visually.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for this post. As a person waiting for the PC version the negativity was getting to me and making me worry.

There will always be negativity. If you think the game still looks worth your time, get it and decide the rest for yourself. Not buying the game because it doesn't meet your prerequisites and not buying the game because you think you've been misled are two very different things.

Subjectivity is also present when judging the game visual style, not just the gameplay. As an example: I don't understand how can you actually claim that some parts of the game look better than the slice/demo we've all been comparing it to. That's pretty subjective to me because, as it stands, I truly wish the game resembled the quality of that original "vision" they showcased.

Another example: To you "some areas look amazing, both conceptually and graphically. Others not so much." This, to me, is being way too generous. The bad parts look grotesque, unacceptable for a late era PS3 game. They needed at least an extra year to polish their game.

All hopes placed on the PC version now; with proper modding and tweaking the game might reach a good point of equilibrium, both aesthetically and visually.

I take your point about subjectivity overall, but there are some areas where I genuinely feel From's vision has been achieved to great effect. Looking around Majula, the windmill tower looming over you in Harvest Valley, taking in the surroundings of Huntsman's Copse while heading across the ropebridge into the Undead Purgatory to name a few. I haven't seen the whole game yet, and I can understand the compaint that this quality is inconsistent, but I believe the good outweighs the bad in this case. Perhaps that's where our opinions differ.

As for it being unacceptable for a late era PS3 game, I'm sure a lot of the artists on-board would agree with you. But at the end of the day, we're not looking at a piece of art; we're playing a game. It simply comes down to what you place the most weight on, and what you're looking for in a game. You may say that there's no excuse for From to fall short of the graphics bar this late in the console life cycle, to which I'm sure they would say, "Sorry. We'll try harder next time". What else could they say? It goes without saying that being given more time will result in more polish for almost any situation, but that obviously wasn't feasible here. Let's just hope that the PC version is at least as serviceable as has been claimed by Bandai so far, and that From's pipeline allows for more robust art implementation and optimisation techniques going into next gen.

In the meantime, it's a shame that you don't seem to be enjoying the game. I'm curious as to what you consider a great game and what has kept you from putting the controller down lately, even with the arrival of new consoles and such.

There will always be negativity. If you think the game still looks worth your time, get it and decide the rest for yourself. Not buying the game because it doesn't meet your prerequisites and not buying the game because you think you've been misled are too very different things.

I've always said this. If It looks and runs as well as Dark Souls 1 DSFic on PC I'll be in heaven. I Loved the game on 360 but hated the framerate. On PC aside from needing a patch and using GFWL it was perfection. This game having those things fixed out of the gate has me salivating. Anything else is bonus.

It is deception since they're still using pre-downgrade footage to promote the PC version.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Dark Souls 2 screenshots with higher quality graphics removed from Steam Store page
2491773-2654547852-23632.jpg

A number of Dark Souls II screenshots with higher visual quality were removed from the game’s Steam Store page.

For example, the image above, which still appears on the game’s Amazon page, also appears in an Wayback Machine March 28 snapshot of the Dark Souls II Steam page. But at the moment, the Steam page features only seven screenshots released earlier this month, all of which show off graphics closer to the visual quality in the released console version of Dark Souls II.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/da...s-removed-from-steam-store-page/1100-6418649/

So.. If you're still hoping for that lighting to be in the PC version..

caleb1915

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Dark Souls 2 screenshots with higher quality graphics removed from Steam Store page

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/da...s-removed-from-steam-store-page/1100-6418649/

So.. If you're still hoping for that lighting to be in the PC version..

I think From and Namco are trying to avoid Valve's wrath since an obvious false advertising like this on Steam might not pass on Valve or Steam community when they release the game.

false advertising effect/damage is done but well at least they admit it and removing the screens.

Also this with what Namco PR guy said before I think confirms that the PC version will not look any different than the console version (aside from a higher res)

solarus

Not surprised in the slightest, I feel sorry for you guys pretending the PC version is going to be anything other than slightly better textures and ability to play at a higher framerate and resolution. FROM won't deliver what you are hoping for.

Ghazi

LMAO. This just went from day one to summer sale status. Good job FROM and Namco!
Oh man, you got them. They've delayed a sale, that'll teach 'em

I genuinely think everyone should be out for blood if the PC version (as it probably will) is the same as console. They admitted to scaling it down for console, but that won't work with PC.

RK9039

I don't really care, the PC version will still run and look better.

ed: I meant 'I don't care anymore'. After waiting this long, I don't care. You bastards.

Top Bottom