• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software responds to Dark Souls II graphics downgrade concerns

Garcia

So, the lighting is enabled during realtime cutscenes, right? Can it not just be re-enabled for the whole game? I understand that sounds stupid, and probably is not as simple.

I'm sure we'll get a much better looking PC version of the game down the road thanks to the modding community. Adding some of the original lighting back will probably be top priority.

tbhysgb

A lot of us have PCs that chew through a lot of games. I'm kinda pissed our version is being gimped. I was gonna buy it too.

I went to this game blind because I hadn't played video games for a good 4-5 months and this thread is first I heard of controversy. Ha people are pretty pissed about this huh? Glad I didn't know about it because I am loving the game. Although graphics don't bother me that much because it's the aspect of games that will probably be dated the fastest...

Really bummed about the latest news. No way I'm buying this day 1 like I was originally going to. I'll wait until it's on a Steam sale at sub-$10.

You blew it, From. Nobody aside from a minority of fans will dare call you out on it, but you really did blow it with this game and your ambitions. And you don't even want to admit it.

akira28

i'll be good with just being able to downsample it like the first for mega-resolutions. Asking Durante to give us the original intended potential would be too much. I mean, FROM couldn't do it. So fixing a dll probably won't do it either.

Clott

What a freaking let down, I don't think I am getting the console version at this point.

And PC, the jury is still out.

Have no fear, Durante will cleanse us of this downgrade.
Pray with me.

Umbasa.

lol

The game will require several Durantes to reach its full potential. It's not just "unlocking" the beauty of the game; Dark Souls 2 needs some heavy duty cosmetic surgery.

We need a super hero team of Durante's each with their own unique abilities and talents.

It's the only way to save.
team-justice-league.jpg

ALL THE SCREENSHOTS IN THE OFFICIAL SITE ARE PRE-DOWNGRADE.

http://www.darksoulsii.com/us/media.html
What a scam, they still are using videos from old build on Steam store page.
They forgot to update the Steam page! oops.
Also forgot to update the official website and the back of the box, oops!

Dey is dat dere forgetfulness.

UrbanRats

Kinda think we should play the game or wait for footage before calling it a complete failure desperately in need of fixing.

Indeed, but at this point, given the complete lack of transparency, i'm not buying it on D1.
If someone wants to go ahead and be a guinea pig, however, they have my thanks.

Indeed, but at this point, given the complete lack of transparency, i'm not buying it on D1.
If someone wants to go ahead and be a guinea pig, however, they have my thanks.
Will be me most likely. I haven't played the console versions but from the vids and streams I could handle the graphics in 1080p 60fps. Barring any major technical failures It won't stop me from playing and enjoying the game as long as it doesn't suck for other reasons.

Kinda think we should play the game or wait for footage before calling it a complete failure desperately in need of fixing.

Pretty sure that's what people were saying just before the console versions launched.

People were wondering if the PC version was going to be any different from the console versions. They all but confirmed that is not the case. If that's what's disappointing people, what exactly do they need to wait until release for?

RexNovis

Banned
"certain parts" may be good enough for some ppl, not others. I do not consider that good enough. There are sections where you do not need to light torches because it's so bright, enemies pop in because it was meant to be dark originally. The game clearly was optimised with certain areas to be dark. Saying "torches are useless" is clearly a legit statement to make, you're just nitpicking.

I have never seen enemies "pop in" in 50 hours of gameplay so far and if you really think torches are useless then no you haven't played the game. Not only are they light sources but they drive enemies back giving you a bit of breathing room. Even in areas that are otherwise visible like Lost Bastille they are still extremely useful. Furthermore there are quite a few places in the game where torches are still required for lighting: No Man's Wharf, parts of Huntsman's Copse, Brightsone Cove, Drangleic Castle. The Gutter, Black Gulch (set fire to the pools of acid) and the list goes on. I don't understand this incessant need to whine about "teh downgradez" things change during optimization. Shit happens.

ENB stated in one of his walkthrough videos that the effects were in beta builds of the game but were later removed in order to boost and smooth out the framerate. Personally I would ratehr have a solid frame rate (24 - 30fps) in my Dark Souls games than fancy lighting effects. Souls games were never intended to be graphical showcases.

Is the deception malicious or even intentional or is it simply the byproduct of a dev not able to optimise a game on pretty old hardware before release?

They literally came out and said that they were forced to make changes to the game so that it could still be playable and the game still has a fair share of stability issues. Absolutely no one is denying that the game was downgraded in some manner. I would imagine that marketing assets like those we still see are secured and whatnot prior to the game being printed. I would love to hear some feedback if that is or is not the case.

It honestly feels like a case where they got to the point where delaying the game was not an option because of the amount of marketing that had been done and the timing of the release.

What I struggle to believe and I'm sure many of the games journalists also struggle to believe is the idea that this downgrade was planned or that there was intent to mislead. VG review sites got the same game everyone else did. The game went through some changes before release as many games have done so before this. That isn't news to any games journalist and it's a reality that many devs can emphasise with.

Exactly this.

I seriously doubt so many people would be complaining if they actually played the game. I have had an absolute blast with it so far. Dual wielding is the shit.

Garcia

Will be me most likely. I haven't played the console versions but from the vids and streams I could handle the graphics in 1080p 60fps. Barring any major technical failures It won't stop me from playing and enjoying the game as long as it doesn't suck for other reasons.

The reduced loading times are a big selling point for the PC version and a very good reason to avoid the console releases completely. Summoning, dying and warping are abundant in this game.

The reduced loading times are a big selling point for the PC version and a very good reason to avoid the console releases completely. Summoning, dying and warping are abundant in this game.
Yeah watching the load times on Stream drives me nuts. They are crazy long.

UrbanRats

If the downgrade is in full force, i'll still get it, but at a big sale.

Facism

I have never seen enemies "pop in" in 50 hours of gameplay so far and if you really think torches are useless then no you haven't played the game.

I've seen enemies pop in a number of times.

Not only are they light sources but they drive enemies back giving you a bit of breathing room.

one enemy type in one area, but yes a good example of the gameplay uses of light and torches.

Even in areas that are otherwise visible like Lost Bastille they are still extremely useful. Furthermore there are quite a few places in the game where torches are still required for lighting: No Man's Wharf, parts of Huntsman's Copse, Brightsone Cove, Drangleic Castle. The Gutter, Black Gulch (set fire to the pools of acid) and the list goes on.

Indeed. Though these places are perfectly visible without a torch, carrying one helps immensely and adds to the atmosphere.

I don't understand this incessant need to whine about "teh downgradez" things change during optimization. Shit happens.

Then you're missing the point and being dismissive about the issue at the same time.

ENB stated in one of his walkthrough videos that the effects were in beta builds of the game but were later removed in order to boost and smooth out the framerate. Personally I would ratehr have a solid frame rate (24 - 30fps) in my Dark Souls games than fancy lighting effects. Souls games were never intended to be graphical showcases.

It's obvious that they had to do something to get the workmanlike framerate for the release game. The problem is there was a lack of communication and the materials used to promote the game aren't representative of the final product. I'm sure the dev has some artistic intention in regards to atmosphere and setting that got compromised.

I seriously doubt so many people would be complaining if they actually played the game. I have had an absolute blast with it so far. Dual wielding is the shit.

ok.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Have no fear, Durante will cleanse us of this downgrade.
Pray with me.

Umbasa.

I actually liked how Durante refused to fix MG Rising (and the PC port is still full of bugs)

Durante or ENB need to not fix this as From and Namco deserve to lose PC gamers money this time if they fucked this port.

I actually liked how Durante refused to fix MG Rising (and the PC port is still full of bugs)

Durante or ENB need to not fix this as From and Namco deserve to lose PC gamers money this time if they fucked this port.

So much for lead platform... Isn't the PC version supposed to be the lead one? How it's a port then?

Raven77

The fact that you make no effort to understand means, to me, that you are perfectly fine at ignoring the process and benefit of changing the screenshots.

At least try and pretend you see where I am coming from.

I see where your coming from, the benefit of them not changing the screenshots is that they sell more copies...

Why a consumer would be okay with this unethical business practice is beyond me.

RexNovis

Banned
I've seen enemies pop in a number of times.

I can't speak for your gameplay experience I can only speak for my own and I haven't seen a single enemy "pop in." I've seen enemies drop from above, come alive from corpses on the ground and pop out from under sand and acid but I haven't seen a single enemy pop into existence.

one enemy type in one area, but yes a good example of the gameplay uses of light and torches.

No not just one enemy type. It works with the dogs, skellies and scythe dudes in Last Bastille, It works with the creepy ass eye creatures in Black Gulch, it works with ANY zombie type creature but does not work with most armored units. No Man's Wharf is one of MANY examples of it in the game.

Indeed. Though these places are perfectly visible without a torch, carrying one helps immensely and adds to the atmosphere.

The Gutter is not possible without a torch at all. Unless you artificially increase your brightness. The other areas might be possible but not if you want to see side paths and hidden pharros lockstones etc etc. In short the torch is used to good effect in multiple areas throughout the game. Denying such is just an outright lie.

Then you're missing the point and being dismissive about the issue at the same time.

I'm not missing the point. I'm loving the game and logging into GAF to see people screaming bloody murder about lighting and graphical flourishes in a game that, up until a recent PC release, nobody even thought to buy for graphics. The gameplay is solid and fun. The framerate, whcih frankly was the only thing I was concerned about going in, is incredibly solid. So far the only gameplay issues I have experienced are a slow loading menu screen which I beleive to be due to loading more items on screen at once (previous entries limited the number of items viewable per screen) and consistently long loading screens which annoy the everliving fuck out of me. I find the agility mechanic and how it increases general responsiveness in battle really awesome and I'd wager most of the people complaining about slow movement or laggy combat have just not invested much if any into agility. It makes a HUGE difference. So, in short, no I didn't miss the point I Just find the point sad when the game itself is a ton of fun. I wish people would stop having aneurysms about graphics and play the damn game.

It's obvious that they had to do something to get the workmanlike framerate for the release game. The problem is there was a lack of communication and the materials used to promote the game aren't representative of the final product. I'm sure the dev has some artistic intention in regards to atmosphere and setting that got compromised.

Yes the game does look different than the reveal and promotional materials but why does this matter? I guess I just always assumed the PS3/360 versions weren't going to blow me away and that the footage shown was likely a PC build or unoptimized. So I wasn't surprised when they weren't the same. Furthermore, I don't understand why a graphical downgrade in a souls game is such a big deal. I was far more concerned about the gameplay and the lore both of which from has delivered in abundance with DaS2. I wasn't buying the game Day one for the graphics anyway.

As far as "artistic intention" I'd wager the game, although looking amazing, was not that fun to play with low lighting. The Gutter is my least favorite area of the game specifically because of the low light. It feels cheap from a gameplay aspect. Visually it looks awesome but as a player it really frustrated me. I can't even begin to imagine how annoying it owuldve been if the majority of the game was like the Tomb of the Giants in the first Dark Souls. I'd have screamed at my screen and just given up on it. I'd imagine they were getting the same feedback from beta testers about the low light situation. ENB even states they were in the habit of boosting brightness everytime they played the beta builds and German Spy says that the brightness was boosted for all the screen shots in guide as well. I'd imagine From took notice of that and I'm glad that the torch is useful but not required for 80% of the game. Frankly it would've been a chore otherwise.

JNT

I can't speak for your gameplay experience I can only speak for my own and I haven't seen a single enemy "pop in." I've seen enemies drop from above, come alive from corpses on the ground and pop out from under sand and acid but I haven't seen a single enemy pop into existence.
In Forest of Giants, down the ladder from the bonfire in the Cardinal Tower there is a hole in a wall leading out on a tree branch where, if you let enemies pass the hole from the outside, they sometimes vanish for a brief moment only to reappear right in front of you, and sometimes they simply don't reappear at all. Also, there is a place just past the second bonfire in Shrine of Amana where enemies consistently appear and disappear (in T pose) not far from you as you pass a collision plane.

The Gutter is not possible without a torch at all. Unless you artificially increase your brightness. The other areas might be possible but not if you want to see side paths and hidden pharros lockstones etc etc. In short the torch is used to good effect in multiple areas throughout the game. Denying such is just an outright lie.

I disagree with this, and I didn't increase my brightness. I did all of the Gutter without a torch, and it wasn't really that hard. Your character basically glows lighting up the area you're currently in enough to navigate, and I think I got most/all of the treasures, too. That said, I wish I HAD use a torch in that area since I beat the game with over 2 hours of Torch left. If the game had no timer/limitation on the torch, I probably would have used it a *lot* more (because I really did love the lighting when you had a torch), but I never knew how much longer I had with the game or if I should save the torch for other areas.

Grief.exe

I just got a PS3 this year and I can't stand the loading times.

Turn on the system. Loading
Need to update. Loading
Launch the game. Loading
Load a save. Loading
Die. Loading

RexNovis

Banned
In Forest of Giants, down the ladder from the bonfire in the Cardinal Tower there is a hole in a wall leading out on a tree branch where, if you let enemies pass the hole from the outside, they sometimes vanish for a brief moment only to reappear right in front of you, and sometimes they simply don't reappear at all. Also, there is a place just past the second bonfire in Shrine of Amana where enemies consistently appear and disappear (in T pose) not far from you as you pass a collision plane.

I know the hole in Forest of the Giants you are talking about and I don't remember seeing any enemies vanish there. Granted i was only there two times. I haven't started Shrine of Amana yet. I'll keep an eye out there and see if I notice the disappearances you are talking about

I disagree with this, and I didn't increase my brightness. I did all of the Gutter without a torch, and it wasn't really that hard. Your character basically glows lighting up the area you're currently in enough to navigate, and I think I got most/all of the treasures, too. That said, I wish I HAD use a torch in that area since I beat the game with over 2 hours of Torch left. If the game had no timer/limitation on the torch, I probably would have used it a *lot* more (because I really did love the lighting when you had a torch), but I never knew how much longer I had with the game or if I should save the torch for other areas.

Wow. That's impressive. I guess maybe my TV is shit or something because I couldnt see anything in The Gutter without the torch. I agree that the limit on the torch sucks but as much as I loved the lighting from the torch I always missed being unable to 2h/DW while holding it. I'm glad they don't force you to use it for most of the game but it has been really fun going back through areas with the torch and seeing how enemies react while discovering passageways/items.

I just got a PS3 this year and I can't stand the loading times.

Turn on the system. Loading
Need to update. Loading
Launch the game. Loading
Load a save. Loading
Die. Loading

yea all the loading really sticks out after using the PS4. I really wish Dark SOuls 2 came out for the PS4 so I didn't have to dust off my PS3 to play.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not missing the point. I'm loving the game and logging into GAF to see people screaming bloody murder about lighting and graphical flourishes in a game that, up until a recent PC release, nobody even thought to buy for graphics.

The PC versions are irrelevant. There is a stark difference between the Dark Souls 2 that Scamco had earlier been using to promote the game and the retail build, so understandably some, from both sides of the fence, are annoyed that the game's level design and aesthetic were notably compromised in what appears to be a dramatic attempt -- and a somewhat failed one at that -- to bring performance up to par on the PS360. In other words, yes, people are miffed that the game doesn't look as nice as it once did, but not solely because it's less pleasing to the eye.

RexNovis

Banned
The PC version is irrelevant. There is a stark difference between the Dark Souls 2 that Scamco had earlier been using to promote the game and the retail build, so understandably some, from both sides of the fence, are annoyed that the game's level design and aesthetic were notably compromised in what appears to be a dramatic attempt -- and a somewhat failed one at that -- to bring performance up to par on the PS360. In other words, yes, people are miffed that the game doesn't look as nice as it once did, but not solely because it's less pleasing to the eye.

I was not talking about the PC Dark Souls 2 release. I was talking about the PC release for Dark Souls. Prior to the PC release the game was not purchased for "amazing graphics" it was purchased on compelling gameplay, design and lore. I was simply pointing out that graphics were never the driving force behind the games and if that's what you are looking for then you will likely be sorely disappointed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was not talking about the PC Dark Souls 2 release. I was talking about the PC release for Dark Souls. Prior to the PC release the game was not purchased for "amazing graphics" it was purchased on compelling gameplay, design and lore. I was simply pointing out that graphics were never the driving force behind the games and if that's what you are looking for then you will likely be sorely disappointed.

I know. I'm saying that Dark Souls as a series being on the PC has nothing to do with why people are upset at the downgrades that have occurred. I mean, sure, a few here and there may object that "There's no reason why the original version of the game doesn't exist on the PC!", but by and large it's not simply a case of people being frustrated because the game doesn't look as pretty as it did in the earlier days -- in some cases, such as the room with the giant dragon skeleton or whatever it is, the completely flat lighting coupled with the geometry cutbacks and revamped level design coalesce to form a fairly significant difference.

Edit: Ah, I wrote "The PC version is" rather than "The PC versions are". Oops!

I wouldn't be complaining about the graphics at all if FROM/Bamco hadn't lead us to believe that the trailers represented the final product. I play PS1 and NES games all the time and I'm not bothered by the graphics. Hell, I just played through King's Field right before DS2 came out.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The PC version is to blame for owners of the sequel's console version being disappointed with the graphics.

I don't know how you even begin to rationalize that. If anything, it makes more sense that those who have current gen consoles are having a hard time going back to 360/PS3.

RexNovis

Banned
The PC version is to blame for owners of the sequel's console version being disappointed with the graphics.

I don't know how you even begin to rationalize that. I
f anything, it makes more sense that those who have current gen consoles are having a hard time going back to 360/PS3.

I'm not. I'm saying graphics were not a concern/focus for the games prior to their PC release. Graphical flourishes are not why people bought or did not buy the original games. The. They came out on PC and all the sudden graphics became a focus/concern for many.

Clearly I'm not able to communicate my point well enough so I'll just end the derail and stop trying

I'm perfectly fine with how the game looks on my PS3. Compared to the first game, it runs like a dream. No horrible framerate drops for me and I've been pretty much everywhere.

With that being said, if it looks how it did in the trailers, etc, for the PC, I will most definitely double dip. However, I have my doubts. I'm sure it'll run better and have more options, but I don't think it'll be "next gen" like many hope. Even so, I'll still probably end up buying it again.

orborborb

I'm perfectly fine with how the game looks on my PS3. Compared to the first game, it runs like a dream. No horrible framerate drops for me and I've been pretty much everywhere.

Dark Souls 2 runs SO much worse than Dark Souls 1 on the PS3 you must have blocked out everything but a few parts of blighttown from your memory. In fact even in blighttown the camera control for example felt more solid than it does anywhere in Dark Souls 2 on the PS3. The 360 version fixes the framerate, but adds both constant tearing and what feels like more input lag or maybe just worse camera movement acceleration curves.

Dark Souls 2 runs SO much worse than Dark Souls 1 on the PS3 you must have blocked out everything but a few parts of blighttown from your memory. In fact even in blighttown the camera control for example felt more solid than it does anywhere in Dark Souls 2 on the PS3. The 360 version fixes the framerate, but adds both constant tearing and what feels like more input lag or maybe just worse camera movement acceleration curves.

I dunno, maybe I need to go back and play it. I just feel like it's smoother. Then again, I only really notice spikes in framerate if it causes me to get hit or die.

I don't know how you even begin to rationalize that. If anything, it makes more sense that those who have current gen consoles are having a hard time going back to 360/PS3.
Umm, no? At least I am disappointed because regardless of the downgrade, framerate and whatever, some areas of the game look atrocious compared to the first game. Dark Souls 1 had mostly uniform visuals - aside from that shit filter in Blighttown. Dark Souls 2 is all over the place, some places it's quite obvious they just said "fuck it" and didn't even bother polishing, some places look awesome.

I mean, come on

Top Bottom