• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software responds to Dark Souls II graphics downgrade concerns

Tex117

Banned
Umm, no? At least I am disappointed because regardless of the downgrade, framerate and whatever, some areas of the game look atrocious compared to the first game. Dark Souls 1 had mostly uniform visuals - aside from that shit filter in Blighttown. Dark Souls 2 is all over the place, some places it's quite obvious they just said "fuck it" and didn't even bother polishing, some places look awesome.

I mean, come on

I...ugh...I just don't believe this. I have not seen anything CLOSE to this.

JimPanzer

Umm, no? At least I am disappointed because regardless of the downgrade, framerate and whatever, some areas of the game look atrocious compared to the first game. Dark Souls 1 had mostly uniform visuals - aside from that shit filter in Blighttown. Dark Souls 2 is all over the place, some places it's quite obvious they just said "fuck it" and didn't even bother polishing, some places look awesome.

I mean, come on

wow, even the armor (?) looks like shit.

Durante

Yeah, Blighttown could look pretty bad (e.g. the textures in the right half of the image):
screenshot_2012-09-160zuyf.jpg

Or pretty nice:
screenshot_2012-09-16n0ur8.jpg

(Note that those screenshots are from before I had decent SSAO)

I just got a PS3 this year and I can't stand the loading times.

Turn on the system. Loading
Need to update. Loading
Launch the game. Loading
Load a save. Loading
Die. Loading
I recently had to use a PC without an SSD (luckily only for half an hour or so). It's almost that bad :p

I just got a PS3 this year and I can't stand the loading times.

Turn on the system. Loading
Need to update. Loading
Launch the game. Loading
Load a save. Loading
Die. Loading

i started a new game side by side with my friend the other night he had the digital version and i have the disc. his load times were almost non existent. i wish i would of known this before hand. as of all the downgrades. loading times is the thing that bothers me most about it.

i would of bought the game had i never even seen it.

The room with the giant dragon skeleton or whatever it is, the completely flat lighting coupled with the geometry cutbacks and revamped level design coalesce to form a fairly significant difference.

god, I hope the PC doesn't have console level geometry and flat lighting. It would be ridiculous.

Dark Souls 2 is all over the place, some places it's quite obvious they just said "fuck it" and didn't even bother polishing.

I mean, come on

There is no image macro that can convey my disappointment.

Finalow

"hurr durr won't buy this game, such liars, stupid graphics downgrade:(((("
this whole thing is indeed shameful and with this response they clearly show that they just don't give a fuck. (they also missed the point of most of the complaints)
still, the game is great, so you should buy it anyway? Yes? Yes.

There's one thing I want to know:
Will it use VAC?

If it DOES use VAC, something like DSFix won't exist as VAC bans DLL injections and similar.

If it DOESN'T use VAC, DS2Fix can exist, BUT unless they implement another kind of anti-cheat service(which I doubt they will, as they don't really know much about PC development), the PC online will be filled with hackers.

Will it use VAC?

If it DOES use VAC, something like DSFix won't exist as VAC bans DLL injections and similar.

If it DOESN'T use VAC, DS2Fix can exist, BUT unless they implement another kind of anti-cheat service(which I doubt they will, as they don't really know much about PC development), the PC online will be filled with hackers.

On the steampage it does not list VAC.

this whole thing is indeed shameful and with this response they clearly show that they just don't give a fuck. (they also missed the point of most of the complaints)

Don't be a dismissive asshole. The designers made a drastic change and didn't tell anyone about it. Weeks later, they make a response that indicates that they aren't reading the complaints at all. That is a perfectly good reason to not support a game or a dev.

Will it use VAC?

So PC version is screwed either way.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In 200 hours of PC play with mostly PvP on GFWL I have fought maybe one hacker.

Lies! I have played an equal amount and I've encountered 4-5. It's normally you either can't kill them or they have weird ass AoE insta kill.

Granted this was a while ago but it's pretty obvious when you invade a hacker I just leave.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Don't be a dismissive asshole. The designers made a drastic change and didn't tell anyone about it. Weeks later, they make a response that indicates that they aren't reading the complaints at all. That is a perfectly good reason to not support a game or a dev.

I know we're going around in circles a bit here, but maybe consider that:

1. The "designers" probably don't have much to do with this issue, let alone communicating directly with the public.

2. If you mean the developers in general, is it their job to keep the public informed of everything that goes on during development? I'd say it's more their job to make sure their publisher gets the finished product in a timely fashion/playable state.

3. One week after release, "they" issued a response. We're not positive who exactly authored this response, but we can be pretty sure it was staff from Bandai Namco, as they handle all overseas PR. If you think a closer eye should be kept on drama surrounding the game's final state and publicity, then that's on them.

4. In regard to the recent statement released by Forbes and other publications, we also don't know for sure who the "source close to development" was. Again, it could have been someone from BN, or even someone working with them on the official game guide (like ENB, for instance). Either way, this shows that someone was reading the complaints; probably someone who didn't even need to.

If you feel that the current situation is good reason to not support a game or dev, then you have some seriously high standards, and I don't know what From could do to win (back) your respect. I imagine a PC version that has resolution options and is capable of running at 60fps has never been enough for a lot of people, and the outrage will continue regardless of what they deliver. I just can't fathom this feeling of betrayal and a stubborn need to be heard that so many consumers these days possess.

Yeah

While I have come to accept the claims people have made as being very real I still don't maintain the level of anger about it that many in here have adopted

I am disappointed and still eagerly await the PC and eventual next gen versions.

That said I can't seem to put the PS3 version down.

I know this has been stated that this is about From/BN not being forthcoming with development details but they still delivered me a worthy 60 dollar last gen experience.

It totally sensible to criticize and bring this up though. I just feel as incredibly betrayed to the point of writing them off completely

It does appear that they got the message though I think this campaign could have benefited from being far less ridiculous and negative. Insane internet hate campaigns always seem to have the opposite effect of what is intended.

today i received Dark Souls 2 for the PS3 (disc version)

i have played Demon's Souls on PS3 and Dark Souls on Xbox360

i have played until i got into Majula (not that long)

i haven't played the Dark Souls 2 beta

first impressions :

1) while it's obvious the framerate isn't optimal, i find it to be running smooth enough
2) the graphics quality is quite good too, Majula has a really great feeling of a desolate place, feeling of melancholy => despite the graphics, the atmosphere is there
3) if the game maintains the technical performance in framerate and graphics (design) from this 1st hour, it's good enough for me

on a side note : i've died about 8 times in the tutorial area
in figuring out how to get the 2 cyclops type creatures until i figured out to lure them 1 by 1 into the cave where they couldn't follow me and picked them slowly off

Finalow

uh? Perfectly good reason for not playing a great game? I don't think so. good reason to complain? Sure. I'm not being dismissive, just logical.

O.K. I think JRW's found the fix.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105623489&postcount=3197
I found that if you're playing 360 version changing the default Reference level setting from Standard to Intermediate (dashboard / settings) balances out the black levels "just right" in DS2, I no longer have a washed out look and shadow details are retained.

Not the best pic (cellphone) but DS2 black levels are much nicer now, playing on a Kuro Plasma:
aApwdj3.jpg

Using the Xbox reference black levels options in the display menu, set it from Limited to Intermediate & it will fix the washed out look of the game.

Setting it to Expanded made the picture look nicer, but it did crush blacks.
Setting it to Limited washed everything out.

The game now displays black as black & also doesn't destroy shadow detail.

This is the only Xbox 360 game that I ever played that I needed to use the Intermediate settings. Very strange.

Not sure how the PS3 version can be fixed or if it even has the washed out look, as it has no Intermediate settings for the HDMI color range.

DKSII is still a damn fine game, graphical downgrade or not. Nicer graphics were the cherry-on-top of getting another souls game. There are still some areas in the game that look really good (but there are also a few that are pretty bad) - but it has had almost no impact on my enjoyment of the game.

The game play still holds up, is rock solid and addictive as hell - in an age when people moan 'companies focusing on graphics over game-play' - I'm damn happy when the game play still shines.

O.K. I think JRW's found the fix.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=105623489&postcount=3197

Using the Xbox reference black levels options in the display menu, set it from Limited to Intermediate & it will fix the washed out look of the game.

Setting it to Expanded made the picture look nicer, but it did crush blacks.
Setting it to Limited washed everything out.

The game now displays black as black & also doesn't destroy shadow detail.

This is the only Xbox 360 game that I ever played that I needed to use the Intermediate settings. Very strange.

Not sure how the PS3 version can be fixed or if it even has the washed out look, as it has no Intermediate settings for the HDMI color range.

That doesn't fix the downgrades that have happened in the game.

UrbanRats

If someone has a limited amount of time and money, they may very well choose to be selective about what they buy.

If the shittier graphics have a good chance of breaking your immersion, that's one good reason to avoid it (at least at full price).
--
Personally i was already turned off by the changes in gameplay i experienced in the Beta, so this is icing on the cake.
Though I will get it, eventually.

So I think I made a weird discovery and not sure if someone else posted it. The pre-downgrade Looking Glass Knight model is within the games files and glitches through when you're playing the actual game. Was watching "This is how you don't play Dark Souls 2" video and saw it. Went to DSP's channel and made some pics.

Persona7

Banned
So I think I made a weird discovery and not sure if someone else posted it. The pre-downgrade Looking Glass Knight model is within the games files and glitches through when you're playing the actual game. Was watching "This is how you don't play Dark Souls 2" video and saw it. Went to DSP's channel and made some pics.

You looked through the disk and found both models?

This is simply not true.

I would say on average it runs better than Dark Souls on PS3. 360 versions are also in line higher framerates.

soldat7

Dark Souls 2 runs SO much worse than Dark Souls 1 on the PS3 you must have blocked out everything but a few parts of blighttown from your memory. In fact even in blighttown the camera control for example felt more solid than it does anywhere in Dark Souls 2 on the PS3.

This is simply not true.

That doesn't fix the downgrades that have happened in the game.

But it fixes the massive washed out look of the game. It gives back the atmosphere to the game.

Those other downgrades people keep mentioning aren't that huge imo.
Huge enough to have 3 simultaneous threads running with around 3,000 posts complaining about them?

Reworked textures. Some look worse, but some look as good if not better.
If they wanted to downgrade the textures from the beta build, they would simply used the same ones at a lower resolution. No need to redo new textures for that.

Altered lighting placements. Probably made to help performance & in some places might been straight up design decisions. Half the game could have been like Tomb of the Giants from DS1 if they stuck with their torch heavy gameplay ideas.
The actual lighting engine is still in the game.

Changed aesthetic assets from the beta, more of artistic change than anything.
Extra furniture & paintings in a hallway did make it look better, but might not have been logical to have their placement in that level.

SpokkX

This is simply not true.[/]

Ds2 on ps3 runs way worse than ds1 on average. Blight town runs worse but most areas in ds1 run way better than ds2

Ds2 is unplayable on ps3 because of almost CONSTANT low stuttering 20-ies framerate imo. Ds1 ran at 30 way more often :(

This is simply not true.[/]

Ds2 on ps3 runs way worse than ds1 on average. Blight town runs worse but most areas in ds1 run way better than ds2

Ds2 is unplayable on ps3 because of almost CONSTANT low stuttering 20-ies framerate imo. Ds1 ran at 30 way more often :(

From what I've heard the PS3 used locked V-Sync, but has framerate problems.
Outside of Blight town & odd specific areas, Dark Souls 1 ran great on the PS3.

Amazing they even had to remove the cubemap from a boss.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'm a PC guy and typically sensitive to frame rates, but I managed to persevere and enjoy DSII on PS3. I've been playing for almost 60 hours now. Still, I can see how people would feel it's unplayable. The only good thing I can say about it is that I haven't encountered any tearing and that the frame rate is pretty consistently bad. It never goes up or down to the point of being really noticeable outside of a few areas where it does get a bit smoother (empty areas in Undead Crypt come to mind).

tengiants

From what I've heard the PS3 used locked V-Sync, but has framerate problems.
Outside of Blight town & odd specific areas, Dark Souls 1 ran great on the PS3.

Having played both on PS3 extensively, DS II runs significantly better. And besides some plain looking corridors and indoor areas, looks a lot better too. The game is huge in scope so some rough edges are understandable, and it's still more interesting to look at than something like Skyrim (to me).

Even if the PC version is just a resolution upgrade from the console version, I have no doubts that the game will look great on PC. Even sans the fabled lighting engine. PC master race is in for a treat.

ElFly

DS2 sometimes experiences 0 frames per second, freezing in place for a moment.

Mostly around Majula, I think it's a loading issue. That def didn't happen in DS1 PS3.

I'd say that overall it runs worse than DS1, but never as bad as blighttown, outside of the freezing.

tengiants

Mostly around Majula, I think it's a loading issue. That def didn't happen in DS1 PS3.

I'd say that overall it runs worse than DS1, but never as bad as blighttown.

This hasn't happened to me once. Sounds like your drive is dying.

ElFly

This hasn't happened to me once. Sounds like your drive is dying.

Completely possible! But I have it digital, so the hdd would have to be dying. Possible but much less probable.

e: I also went through Demon just before playing Dark, and didn't have such problems.

Persona7

Banned

I'd say that overall it runs worse than DS1, but never as bad as blighttown, outside of the freezing.

I've never noticed this.

tengiants

Completely possible! But I have it digital, so the hdd would have to be dying. Possible but much probable.

Ahh, disc version here with 70+ hours. Maybe it's just an issue with the digital but overall I've heard of people having better luck with the digital version.

Replace your PS3 HDD with a new HDD or SSD.

Ghazi

That's... interesting, to say the least.

Top Bottom