• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there an online list that shows the sprite of a race and what it is good at? When you buy a guy in a starbase it tells you, but if you acquire a guy by any other means there's no explanation as to what they are best at doing. Unless I am missing something?

In my last game playing on Normal I had a boarding party of 3 Rocks. I made it all the way to the end boss for the first time. Then, of course, I died.

Woorloog

Banned
Is there an online list that shows the sprite of a race and what it is good at? When you buy a guy in a starbase it tells you, but if you acquire a guy by any other means there's no explanation as to what they are best at doing. Unless I am missing something?

In my last game playing on Normal I had a boarding party of 3 Rocks. I made it all the way to the end boss for the first time. Then, of course, I died.

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Races

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Races

Humans
- no special abilities

Engi
- Repair speed is doubled
- Combat damage is halved

Mantis
- Double damage in combat
- 1.2x move speed
- Halved repair speed

Rockmen
- Immune to fire
- Movement speed is halved
- Health is increased to 150%

Zoltan
- Provides power to occupied system
- Health is 70

Slugs
see your enemies crew, represented by red dots and to be able to see inside rooms adjecent to the room the slug is in even if your sensors are down.

Spoiler for secret race:
Crystal
- Lockdown power: When finished charging, sends crystals to surround the room they are in, making it completly invincible to damage (Only that specific room). Nothing can exit/enter the specific room until the ability wears off.
- Reduced suffocation damage
- Movement speed -20%
- Health 125

Edit: Too slow :( C&P'ing that stuff took too long.

slayn

needs to show more effort.

If you go to the ship menu, there are the tabs for crew and equipment. In the crew tab, you can mouse over your dudes and see what they are what they do I believe. (or just memorize the wiki above)

flowsnake

This OT single-handedly peaked my interest for this game, subbed for later. For now I have a couple of questions about this game.

1. Would you say this would be a good game to run on a laptop or will it require a dedicated PC? (saw the minimum specs, not worried about those but some games just are better on a gaming PC)

2. Would you say that this requires a mouse or would the touchpad and a lot of pausing work without detracting from the experience?

Just make sure your laptop resolution is above 1280x720, some people have lower resolution netbooks and the window doesn't fit.

Mindlog

Open up the ship menu and click on the crew tab.
You just need the right combination. Ion weapon + beam weapons usually work pretty well. Target shield and boom. I mean sure, those things have the disadvantage of not breaching through shields, but once they do? Easily 12 damage per shot is definitely a great payoff.
And with the pre-ignitor it becomes downright unfair. The Zoltan ship can brutalize enemies.

This was a run on Easy after the frustrating loss of spaceship GAF.
Say hello to spaceship Airplane crewed by Oveur, Roger and Clearence (sic.)
Before entering the final zone.
03lx1.jpg
After.
I would have taken far less damage if I hadn't been so determined to set the ship on fire. I have a serious problem with that. I need help.
In general this run had pretty crappy luck. Somehow managed to break my record for jumps, but still came away with only long range scanners as a purchased augment.

in game, in the "ship upgrade" interface, click on the crew tab and mouse over your crew members, you get all the details

Woorloog

Banned
So, my latest game. This time on easy. My crew died... except the pilot. So, he runs around the ship fixing it while i'm under attack. Dual Burst Laser IIs is an excellent weapon combo, you're likely to penetrate double shields and on hit you're pretty much guaranteed to disable systems.
Managed 65 jumps. This game is kinda brutal even on easy, though gotta say it is much more more interesting and satisfying on normal.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, my latest game. This time on easy. My crew died... except the pilot. So, he runs around the ship fixing it while i'm under attack. Dual Burst Laser IIs is an excellent weapon combo, you're likely to penetrate double shields and on hit you're pretty much guaranteed to disable systems.
Managed 65 jumps. This game is kinda brutal even on easy, though gotta say it is much more more interesting and satisfying on normal.

I definitely suggest switching to normal at one point, but I love to suggest starting with easy since chances are lower people get scared away immediately.

Mindlog

On easy I get to the last fight with way too much scrap.
On normal I'm getting to the last fight without the necessary gear to finish off the boss. I'm so much more dependent on lucking out with weapon drops.

Woorloog

Banned
I definitely suggest switching to normal at one point, but I love to suggest starting with easy since chances are lower people get scared away immediately.

I'd recommend starting on normal (like i did), play a few games and if it feels too though, switch easy. Then go back because it is going to feel too easy :p

My biggest problem are boarding parties... the door upgrade is really good but still... When skills are trained by doing, training your crew to resist boarding parties is quite difficult. Pre-igniter would make it possible (though not likely) to prevent the enemy ever boarding but getting that thing is quite difficult (not to mention costly).
Should i have bombs, and be ready to target them on my own ship in case of boarding action?

It would be nice if the game had traps (floor turrets etc) for resisting boarding parties, and weapons and other equipment to equip your crew with (like gas mask for allowing them to function longer on low oxygen rooms).

On easy I get to the last fight with way too much scrap.
On normal I'm getting to the last fight without the necessary gear to finish off the boss. I'm so much more dependent on lucking out with weapon drops.
I feel like the Rebel Fleet should be somewhat slower by default. That mod is appealing but i'd rather not start applying mods, yet.

flowsnake

I think you should get rewards for the boarding events (without a ship to fight). Fighting off five intruders just to survive isn't really fair.

Toma

I think you should get rewards for the boarding events (without a ship to fight). Fighting off five intruders just to survive isn't really fair.

Well, the reward is a higher combat level for those that do survive. But I agree, those can be rather intimidating and unforgiving, especially when you are just starting out.

RIP crew of the SS Slaphappy. You fought valiantly, but when you were boarded by 3 mantis all you could do was vent the ship and suffocate, clinging together as you scrambled to fix the Oxygen system.

You will be avenged. The Slaphappier is being prepared for launch as we speak.

Godspeed, Slaphappy.

And F off, mantis boarding parties.

By the way, if anyone is worried about system specs, I'm running this on a 6 year old laptop at work. So, if your rig has an on button you can most likely get this going.

Agreed, you should be able to track down where they came from and loot their hide out or whatever. Maybe they come from a ship that's badly damaged or from a nearby moon or whatever, but they come from somewhere and that somewhere has stuff I can use.

Toma

Agreed, you should be able to track down where they came from and loot their hide out or whatever. Maybe they come from a ship that's badly damaged or from a nearby moon or whatever, but they come from somewhere and that somewhere has stuff I can use.

"and that somewhere has stuff I can use."

Haha, best quote I read today.

Woorloog

Banned
Got to the boss on easy (with Engi Cruiser). But i didn't have enough lasting power, too late i realised what i should be doing and the missiles blasted my hull.
My weapons were Ion Blaster II and two Anti-Ship Drone Is, they can't get through triple shield if the ship has too much crew. Quadruple shield is completly impenetrable. I didn't upgrade my weapons earlier because i had done fine so far with them and i had other things to upgrade... and then i didn't find any more stores.
I had 3 stores in one map, next to each other and then i found 4th one...

Merovin

I'm so addicted to this game after buying it on a whim, have yet to complete a full run, although managed to take the rebel flagship down once last night. Got a good run going at the moment, but time to save and sleep (damn you work), fingers crossed for tomorrow's victory!

Toma

I love how this game makes people so enthusiastic over their runs :) Makes for a hugely enjoyable reading experience in this thread.

flowsnake

The Zoltan ship has an achievement for not upgrading the reactor. Does that mean the engine? there doesn't seem to be any mention of a reactor anywhere else, and I guess it could mean the shield generator or something.

Toma

The Zoltan ship has an achievement for not upgrading the reactor. Does that mean the engine? there doesn't seem to be any mention of a reactor anywhere else, and I guess it could mean the shield generator or something.

Reactor is the stuff that powers everything. Look in the upgrade menu above the 30 (or so) bars that represent the power outage. There you'll see the term "reactor". So yeah, get to sector 5 with only 5 power bars. Was totally surprised to notice that this is actually possible.

Toma

Ahh, I see, sorry that's stupid in hindsight. But seriously that sounds like a nightmare. :( I might go for the other one where you need lots of reactor levels.

Also:
A7zcq.jpg

Best event ever?

Almost. I had an event that got me the Weapon Pre-Igniter for free. I nominate that being the best since that thing doesnt even need power :p

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So is this one of those games where they're gonna keep doing a bunch of updates overtime e.g. Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, etc. or is it a finished product with maybe occasional updates?

Toma

So is this one of those games where they're gonna keep doing a bunch of updates overtime e.g. Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, etc. or is it a finished product with maybe occasional updates?

They said they will definitely do content updates, just not minecraft frequency. I guess we wont get weekly updates but content updates a few weeks in wouldnt be completely impossible.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
This is a great game, but I would kill for a game with FTL's battle system and a huge number of solar systems to explore at my leisure. I would also like to see a robust trading system. I hope they really expand the game play in the sequel.

The boss is flat out smashing me. I can't figure out
which system to target. If I target the cloak with an ion weapon, I can't chew through the shields in time to do damage, and conversely, if I take down shields, he'll cloak out and I can't attack. Then it becomes a long game of "REPAIR EVERYTHING" until I die.

flowsnake

So is there any particular reason to go to nebulas? They always seem more difficult because of the ion storms, and I haven't noticed many advantages. I mean, I know some sectors are going to be harder than others, but I'm finding myself avoiding nebulas whenever possible.

Toma

So is there any particular reason to go to nebulas? They always seem more difficult because of the ion storms, and I haven't noticed many advantages. I mean, I know some sectors are going to be harder than others, but I'm finding myself avoiding nebulas whenever possible.

There was an achievement or something to venture into nebulas, but yeah in a normal game you usually avoid nebulas.

Woorloog

Banned
The boss is flat out smashing me. I can't figure out
which system to target. If I target the cloak with an ion weapon, I can't chew through the shields in time to do damage, and conversely, if I take down shields, he'll cloak out and I can't attack. Then it becomes a long game of "REPAIR EVERYTHING" until I die.

Try sending boarding parties to disable its weapons. Boarding parties are awesome, especially if you have Rockmen or Mantis

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Well, I've been going into nebulas on purpose because they slow down the rebel advance, which in turn allows me to jump to more beacons in a game, which allows me to get more scrap and acquire more stuff. Sure there is added danger, but so far the strategy seems to work fairly well.

Toma

Oh really? That'd be great. I could play now if I am able to play on my 2008 mac book pro.

That definitely shouldnt be an issue.

Well, I've been going into nebulas on purpose because they slow down the rebel advance, which in turn allows me to jump to more beacons in a game, which allows me to get more scrap and acquire more stuff. Sure there is added danger, but so far the strategy seems to work fairly well.

Hm? I thought its slower in Nebula galaxies, not depending on which beacons you actually enter. Might be totally wrong though, need to check that later.

Toma

I dunno, on my school computers it absolutely crawls. At most 1 FPS.

Could you look up the specs if you get to it again? I would be interested in knowing what kind of PC gets this game down to 1FPS.

LuffyZoro

Well, 1 FPS might be a slight exaggeration, but it's definitely not playable speed. I'll check out the model when I go back.

Top Bottom