• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Woorloog

Banned
Well, i had the most awesome death.
Easy, The Kestrel, no upgrades whatsoever.
I jump to an asteroid zone. There's a pirate. We proceed to pummel each other. I have bad luck though, asteroids and the enemy weapons fire break my weapons... and oxygen generator, after i've opened airlocks to put out fires (so i'm low on oxygen anyway).
Okay, bad situation... i send two of my crew to repair the O2 generator but one of them suffocates and the other gets shot while trying to get to medbay.
Fuck.
I hope the ship holds togheter long enough for the pilot to initiate jump... I do that and jump to a nebula, hoping it is empty or positive. Bad luck strikes again though, and i get invaders on my ship.
Well, screw them, i open all the airlocks and let out the remaining 3% O2 (my O2 generator was still broken, didn't have time to repair it). "Taking you with me" end, that one.

Mindlog

Almost. I had an event that got me the Weapon Pre-Igniter for free. I nominate that being the best since that thing doesnt even need power :p
We must have been playing the same game. On sector 2 I got the Weapon Pre-Igniter for my Zoltan cruiser. I win. Game wasn't done yet and wanted to give me one more hit of that sweet sweet -

Captain's Log: A mysterious stranger appeared promising a powerful and mysterious weapon for the low-low price of $64.95. My cowardly first officer warned me against it, but I knew better.
kdSw8.jpg
Jackpot.
8sTZv.png

A few moments later.

Boarding party shenanigans: Breach Missiles and Fire Bombs are a fantastic crew killing combo. However, when you have to be 100% sure - send in the Mantis. While the enemy crew was trying to get their shields back up my Mantis sabotaged the Medical Bay. With the crew dead this inevitably happened.

Pic of the boss right before he died.
Final Score: 4310
Hopefully I can get another game in tomorrow. Zoltan ship mastered. I'm going to try unlocking the last few ships I need next and Jebediah Kerman must ride again.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Indeed.

A question concerning races, don't see the answer anywhere. Does "combat damage" in Engi's and Mantis' description refer to ship-to-ship combat or hand-to-hand combat or both?

Hand-to-Hand combat damage.

Woorloog

Banned
Hand-to-Hand combat damage.

Ah, great.
Going to need a proper Mantis boarding party, though i feel extra health is more useful. My Rockmen boarding parties worked well enough.

Slugs feel kinda useless crew, i suppose they're like humans but useful for nebulas?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ah, great.
Going to need a proper Mantis boarding party, though i feel extra health is more useful. My Rockmen boarding parties worked well enough.

Slugs feel kinda useless crew, i suppose they're like humans but useful for nebulas?

Yeah, slugs are just improved humans ;)
I only had like 2 situations where having a slug was actually useful, usually when my systems were hit and I wanted to start a boarding mission. Definitely not an integral skill though.

flowsnake

Crap. I was doing so well offensively on the boss, but defensively went to shit with the drones. I really need to start using cloak.

Mazre

Ah, great.

I've found rockmen do tend to make better boarders, combine with fire weapons for extra fun.

Mantii are nice for ship defense as they can scramble around your ship faster.

As for slugs, yes probably don't need to go out of your way to acquire one, but don't forget about potential blue options as well.

Purkake4

Banned
Had an ion storm disable my O2 and nothing else. It was a race against time as I boarded the other ship and killed them all before my own crew suffocated.

EDIT: They should really give engis a bonus to ship sabotage or something and maybe give one of the races a stealth kind of a deal?

I had a max leveled Mantis assassination-team that just decimated every crew we came upon.

Then I met one of these automated rebel ships and thought: "I'll just teleport into their weapon control room and sabotage it! Go Mantis Team!"

I never though about the fact that automated robot ships do NOT need oxygen to function. My Mantis team did. RIP. That was pretty much the end of that run. The rest of the crews morale was severely damaged.

Toma

I had a max leveled Mantis assassination-team that just decimated every crew we came upon.

Then I met one of these automated rebel ships and thought: "I'll just teleport into their weapon control room and sabotage it! Go Mantis Team!"

I never though about the fact that automated robot ships do NOT need oxygen to function. My Mantis team did. RIP. That was pretty much the end of that run. The rest of the crews morale was severely damaged.

That and some other fanfic stories from the previous thread:

"Hey Crew."
"Yes, sir?"
"I need to you to teleport on that unmanned ship over there."
"Uhm, sir?"
"What else? This is of UTMOST importance! Get your ass moving!"
"Well...but... sir..."
"NO BUT, they dont even have any crew you might need to be afraid of. Now GO or I'll kick you out into space."
"..."

Hehe.

So far, I'd go along with

"Crew, have we managed to destroy the enemy threat?"
"Yes sir!"
"Excellent. Move onto the next beacon, posthaste!"
"But sir two of our men have died and we're desperately running out of oxygen!"
"Posthaste!"

Although there are probably millions of ways this game can pan out - and you could write fiction of your adventures - the finest moments usually come down to dumbassery from the Captains chair. Mine would be:

Captain: "Hey Crew."
Crew "Yes, Sir?"
Captain: "One final Volley to send that ship to oblivion."
Crew: "But, Sir!"
Captain: "No buts, shoot them!"
Crew: "On your orders Sir.

*BOOM"

Captain: "OK that sorts that out. Now beam back the Away Te...."

Crew: - collective facepalm

Woorloog

Banned

I didn't quite do that but i was fighting this unmanned ship. I'm like, "i'll destroy the O2 generator to suffocate them, maybe i'll get more loot" (note, currently i assume the way of destruction doesn't matter). Then i glanced the ship's class and quickly retargeted my weapons...

I need to write a journal for a ship or two, each battle and event will be documented and gets some flavor stuff.

Ainaurdur

I thought surely, I must get some help for this man who has been marooned on this desolate planet for all these years.

He thanks me by murdering my gunner.

Next raving lunatic I come across can stay in his cave to rot!

And this was just the 3rd beacon I got to from beginning with a new ship. The crew feels little motivation to go on.

I thought surely, I must get some help for this man who has been marooned on this desolate planet for all these years.

He thanks me by murdering my gunner.

Next raving lunatic I come across can stay in his cave to rot!

And this was just the 3rd beacon I got to from beginning with a new ship. The crew feels little motivation to go on.

When a member gets lost on some expedition or rescue mission it's always my max level gunner. Always.
It would actually be great if you could decide who goes on such missions and who stays on ship.
I need to write a journal for a ship or two, each battle and event will be documented and gets some flavor stuff.
I might do that as well, sounds like fun!

Ainaurdur

The two went on for a couple more jumps, we just rescued a slave to take up the guns for us. Morale increases ever so slightly.

Oh, this game....

Sajjaja

So I just destroyed a low level pirate ship in the 2nd zone....... I GOT ME A WEAPON PRE-IGNITER! SUP SUP! I'm using a layout B Kestrel and with that I'm gonna murder so much ass!

Toma

So I just destroyed a low level pirate ship in the 2nd zone....... I GOT ME A WEAPON PRE-IGNITER! SUP SUP! I'm using a layout B Kestrel and with that I'm gonna murder so much ass!

Haha, most definitely. You easily should get to the boss with that, so start thinking about the preparations for what you might need for the boss.

Sajjaja

Haha, most definitely. You easily should get to the boss with that, so start thinking about the preparations for what you might need for the boss.

I'm always thinking about that.... I need to get the Federation Cruiser eventually =/ I just destroyed another ship, and now I got a weapon reloader xD Man, it's scary that this is happening cause I'm playing on Normal and nothing ever works out =/

Kuga

Neat little game.

Beat the flagship on easy during my third run. (Though I got lucky with supplies in earlier sectors)

Just pummeled the damn thing's shield systems continuously with laser/missile/ion and outlasted it.

Toma

I wish I could sell my missiles or drone parts...

Wouldnt be surprised to see a mod for that at some point (probably after they added proper mod support though). The devs said they considered that missile/drone selling part, but it would effectively break the game balance since you would need to earn less scraps from all the other encounters to make up for it.

They also said that they prefer seeing it as a higher incentive to adapt your playstyle according to what you find. Like seeing that you have 30 missiles and then seeing a missile launcher in a store, saying "Ah why the hell not. This could work pretty well and I got the ammunition", instead of restricting yourself to the weapons you pick from the start for every run.

Sarcasm

Wish I could unlock B of starter ship =/

SO wait the zoltan ship cheevo is getting to sector 5 no reactor upgrades...but when you start you can't even power your weapons!?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I want to play but I'm afraid I'll look at my watch in 2-3hrs time and wonder what the hell I was doing.

Toma

I want to play but I'm afraid I'll look at my watch in 2-3hrs time and wonder what the hell I was doing.

Saving the galaxy? But hey, I am preparing another GAF thread the last 2-3 hrs, and still would ask myself the same question. It will probably die a horrible death anyway because nobody will be interested in reading it :p You'd at least have more fun playing than I have typing ;)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well I bought it and just finished my first run on Easy. Made it to Sector 5 and unlocked the Engi ship. Not bad.

Toma

All 3 lol

The tough little ship one is rather easy. Start the game, beat 2-3 ships (until you own 80 scraps), then go to a beacon next to a store hoping to find an enemy there. If there isnt one, travel across the shop to all other beacons next to the store. One pretty surely contains an enemy. Let him beat you until you are almost dead, then fire of salvos onto his weapons and kill him. He shouldnt be able to fire anything anymore and you got the achievement.

The others will take a bit longer since both require you to get to at least sector 5-6 (on average)

flowsnake

Wish I could unlock B of starter ship =/

SO wait the zoltan ship cheevo is getting to sector 5 no reactor upgrades...but when you start you can't even power your weapons!?

I managed it on easy fairly easily by avoiding battles and running away. I had enough power for my missiles, so I just tried to shut down weapons with it. Also you can power your beam if you man weapons, just not at the same time as missiles.

Zoltan B is pretty cool, nice weapons and a better layout.

Toma

I managed it on easy fairly easily by avoiding battles and running away. I had enough power for my missiles, so I just tried to shut down weapons with it. Also you can power your beam if you man weapons, just not at the same time as missiles.

Zoltan B is pretty cool, nice weapons and a better layout.

Also interesting to note, that you can use more than one Zoltan to power weapons. Put 2 Zoltans in your weapons bay, and your weapons have 2 power to draw from.

Mindlog

Also interesting to note, that you can use more than one Zoltan to power weapons. Put 2 Zoltans in your weapons bay, and your weapons have 2 power to draw from.
That's also a path to the last achievement (Have 29 Power.)

Kind of mad I didn't count it correctly when it would have been easy for me to get. You just need to hire 1 more Zoltan and fully upgrade your ship.

Jintor

tQuFr.jpg

Rebels are assholes.

I had a really good run after I picked up a pike beam in sector 2, but once ships started getting crazy shields I picked up my small bomb launcher too late. And then the ship's only missile that got through hit my fire control station and took out all my shit in one shot.

Stoof

Bought this game yesterday, best purchase in a while. I've yet to beat it but on my last run I made it to the final sector. Couldn't take down a 4 shield ship with 2 drones attacking me though :(

I was bored and hungry at Rosh Hoshanah services this morning, and I couldn't stop thinking of FTL...

On Rosh Hashanah it is inscribed,
And on Yom Kippur it is sealed.
How many shall pass away and how many shall be recruited,
Who shall live and who shall die horribly,
Who shall reach the end of his days and who shall not,
Who shall perish by slug and who by fire,
Who by mantis and who by 6 legged horse,
Who by engi and who by teleported to an AI ship,
Who by direct fire and who by breaches,
Who by trying to repair the breach in the O2 room and who by Rock man,
Who shall have rest and who shall wander on a rebel ship that ftled away before they could teleport off,
Who shall be at peace in the stillness of space and who shall be pursued by the omnipresent rebel forces,
Who shall be at rest by being dead and who shall be tormented by constant solar flares,
Who shall be exalted with fire weapons and who shall be brought low by never finding a store,
Who shall become rich in scrap and who shall be impoverished.
But repentance, prayer and righteousness avert the severe decree.

I'm such a bad jew

Toma

Sooo glad that never happened to me so far, lol. I took a leap of faith a few times as well, and always managed to get a way to the next beacon.

Top Bottom