• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

It would be nice, but one good thing is that with pause, you don't need hotkeys for efficiency. And if they do add them, the ideal thing is just to add an options window where everyone can remap, so no one is disappointed in the choices. :p

Right, it's not really a gameplay issue, it would just be more comfortable to play in bed on my laptop this way :).

marrec

Banned
I have a feeling BSG has been quite an influence in the game. The jump effect is very much like the one in reimagined BSG.

I find it kinda odd the devs described the game as "Firefly [and something]", when it lacks sandbox and trading is very minor part in the game.
Not to mention Firefly lacking FTL drives (though the ship engines are absurdly powerful considering how fast they travel beetween planets in the series).

EDIT i intended to reinstall Morrowind today but ended up playing this... addicting.

It really brought to mind Firefly for me when shit was going wrong. It's a small ship with a small crew on a mission to defy both the rebels and the federation until the end.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
2327949-tID6F_super.jpg

Too funny to be buried in one of the lasts post of the last page :p

Woorloog

Banned
It really brought to mind Firefly for me when shit was going wrong. It's a small ship with a small crew on a mission to defy both the rebels and the federation until the end.

The only thing that reminds me of Firefly in this game is that you're constantly getting by just about. On normal. On easy that doesn't happen.

Hmm.

Goddamit. Now i got a feeling i need to restart my EVE account. Trying to play some sort trader sounds suddenly very appealing.

This mouse is great for FTL, and lets you play one-handed (har har) if you so choose. Any mouse with a numberpad on it would work fine, not just the Razer(TM) Naga(TM). I play on my laptop in bed using my chest as a mousepad.

LOL at the
second form
of the final boss. jerryseinfeld.gif

Mindlog

Careful. Playing with fire becomes an addiction.
Hey guys, I have this theory that if you play thisgame wwithout music, it becomes less addictive.
Doesn't work. My mind automatically fills in the MoO 2 soundtrack.
Also, I have a lot of fun playing while listening to one of the Di.fm channels.
Chillout Dreams and Space Dreams are regular plays.

Hari Seldon

I can't believe I totally missed this game on kickstarter. I bought it this morning before I left for work and after watching that total biscuit video I can't wait to get home and play it.

One question: If you buy it on PC Steam is it on Mac Steam as well?

kennah

I can't believe I totally missed this game on kickstarter. I bought it this morning before I left for work and after watching that total biscuit video I can't wait to get home and play it.

It is SteamPlay yes, but if you buy it off of the ftl site you get DRM free versions of Mac, PC and Linux.

Sajjaja

It is SteamPlay yes, but if you buy it off of the ftl site you get DRM free versions of Mac, PC and Linux.

AND a Steam key if you buy it from the FTL website.

sangreal

I have a feeling BSG has been quite an influence in the game. The jump effect is very much like the one in reimagined BSG.

I find it kinda odd the devs described the game as "Firefly [and something]", when it lacks sandbox and trading is very minor part in the game.
Not to mention Firefly lacking FTL drives (though the ship engines are absurdly powerful considering how fast they travel beetween planets in the series).

EDIT i intended to reinstall Morrowind today but ended up playing this... addicting.

That quote ("Firefly by way of Spelunky") actually comes from someone else (Tom Francis)

The developers say it is inspired by BSG and Star Trek

sangreal

I bought this game just for the hell of it, being not really much into roguelikes (not for lack of trying) but it's pretty fun. I am just wondering - is there a way you can manually close down doors? Like, I was in combat, an enemy ship destroyed the remote-control door activator, then while trying to put out the fires in the various rooms by opening the airlocks, my guys lost all their oxygen.

Any good way of dealing with fires? I've been playing on easy for now, since like I said I'm terrible at the genre.

It wouldn't help you since your doors were broken, but upgraded doors prevent fires from spreading.

Woorloog

Banned
That quote ("Firefly by way of Spelunky") actually comes from someone else (Tom Francis)

The developers say it is inspired by BSG and Star Trek

Ah, makes sense. The game definetly feels far more like BSG ans Star Trek than Firefly...
though it would be nice if you could play the game more like Firefly as well.

Odd how i've developed taste for trading later on, when i played Freelancer i never cared for trading.

marrec

Banned
Ah, makes sense. The game definetly feels far more like BSG ans Star Trek than Firefly...
though it would be nice if you could play the game more like Firefly as well.

Odd how i've developed taste for trading later on, when i played Freelancer i never cared for trading.

You just need to play Dark Star One now and pretend that it's a first person version of your ship in FTL.

Woorloog

Banned
You just need to play Dark Star One now and pretend that it's a first person version of your ship in FTL.

That game got weak enough reviews i never bothered with it.
Good way not to develop a backlog, anything under 80 score is no no.

Back to playing FTL.

marrec

Banned
That game got weak enough reviews i never bothered with it.
Good way not to develop a backlog, anything under 80 score is no no.

Back to playing FTL.

Well the poor reviews on that game were based on the Xbox version I think, not the PC version.

It's no Freelancer, or even X3.

Woorloog

Banned
Well the poor reviews on that game were based on the Xbox version I think, not the PC version.

It's no Freelancer, or even X3.

Well, i didn't have a PC capable of running it and i cannot stand awful ports.
Now i could play it but why bother when i have other stuff to play? No backlog but if i start adding games i should play... ugh.

I wonder if i'll do better with a named ship in FTL as opposed to keeping the default one. I have a feeling it will matter, after all it is easy to jinx your dice rolls in PnP RPG by calling numbers beforehand. This isn't superstision even though it may seem so.

marrec

Banned
Well, i didn't have a PC capable of running it and i cannot stand awful ports.
Now i could play it but why bother when i have other stuff to play? No backlog but if i start adding games i should play... ugh.

I wonder if i'll do better with a named ship in FTL as opposed to keeping the default one. I have a feeling it will matter, after all it is easy to jinx your dice rolls in PnP RPG by calling numbers beforehand. This isn't superstision even though it may seem so.

*lol*

Don't worry, I'm not suggesting your play Dark Star One, but it would scratch that trading itch you've got.

Or maybe the Devs will add some kind of deep trading system to FTL, though I don't know how they'd integrate it.

Woorloog

Banned
*lol*

Don't worry, I'm not suggesting your play Dark Star One, but it would scratch that trading itch you've got.

Or maybe the Devs will add some kind of deep trading system to FTL, though I don't know how they'd integrate it.

I could simply play EVE online or reinstall Freelancer. Though the latter needs mods, mods i have no will to look for or install. Need to install Morrowind and mods soon...

New game, Kestrel Cruiser named Chainmail. I'll name the crew as well...

Jintor

Wow, that second stage. Any tips for dealing with the drone swarm / boarding drones? My general strategy for boarding parties is to always have the air dumped out of the ship and then lock it up tight but that doesn't work so well against robots.

Cloak the second the drone swarm flies out. they don't stick around.

KDR_11k

If you want a similar experience plus trading there's Star Trader RPG on Android, if you play that at a higher difficulty (anything above normal has permadeath) you will have roughly the same "ohcrapohcrapohcrap" experience.

Haunted

I actually haven't managed to unlock any of the other ships except the Engi Cruiser yet, despite seeking out Alien homeworlds when possible (I assumed from the descriptions that the respective ships will be unlocked by events occurring there). I was thinking I'd unlock them sooner or later just by playing, but pretty much nothing so far. Am I just unlucky or should I seek out to do specific things?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I actually haven't managed to unlock any of the other ships except the Engi Cruiser yet, despite seeking out Alien homeworlds when possible (I assumed from the descriptions that the respective ships will be unlocked by events occurring there). I was thinking I'd unlock them sooner or later just by playing, but pretty much nothing so far. Am I just unlucky or should I seek out to do specific things?

I thought that as well at first and didnt unlock anything else for 7 hours or so. Then I started looking at the wiki for the requirements. Often times you need to have a certain crew member on board or a tech level of a certain element on your ship. If you have the requirement, I figured that you'll meet the events 1/3 times in that respective homeworld if you search as many beacons as you can.

So I played many hours of this at the tail end of the beta, but got distracted by school when it released so haven't played till now.

Took my first couple of spins in the Engi ship, and actually just had my best game yet, making it to Sector 5 with a fully upgraded drone system with a Defense Drone II, Anti-Ship Drone II and System Repair Drone I, and in the first sector I got a Halberd Laser, so I was just ripping through everything, and I had upgraded my shields to level 2.

However I kept running low on fuel because it was very scarce in this round for some reason, despite me buying all of it that was available. Then I got stuck in a civilian galaxy that was very unfortunately laid out so that you HAD to go around clockwise to get to the exit, but you can get most of the way there before finding that out. I had to face the Rebel fleet twice, both times within a nebula, and then just before reaching the exit (where I would have ran out of fuel anyway, admittedly) This super powerful Rebel ship showed up out of nowhere. It kept setting everything on fire and taking out my oxygen so I was in a constant struggle trying to keep my guys in a safe place while suffocating the fire and keeping my oxygen high enough simultaneously, all the while trying to keep enough systems online to keep my very weak hull from being taken out.

Of course, it was like trying to take water out of a sinking ship with a teacup because they would keep burning all of my stuff and they finally pierced my hull. I had to quit and take a break, but man, it's amazing how a great run can turn to shit because of one navigational miscalculation, and that's what makes this such a great game.

Haunted

I thought that as well at first and didnt unlock anything else for 7 hours or so. Then I started looking at the wiki for the requirements. Often times you need to have a certain crew member on board or a tech level of a certain element on your ship. If you have the requirement, I figured that you'll meet the events 1/3 times in that respective homeworld if you search as many beacons as you can.
Looks like it's time to hit the wiki! :p

Jintor

tech requirements have been removed for ship unlock quests, wiki is out of date

they used to be completely fucking arcane. they're still luck based but they're not insane anymore

SaberVulcan

It only took me 14 hours, but I finally beat the game on Easy with the Engi ship. Basically gave up my strategy that got me up to the final boss (Anti-ship drones) and just put all money on Missles. I am horrified to try that on Normal though.

Mindlog

It seems the more successful I am the dumber the risk I am willing to take. I am turning into, Zapp. 'Set course for those rocks over there. I bet there's a stash of alien pirate gold.'

Playing the hand you're dealt.
Had enough power to use them all at the same time. My gunner leveled up rather quickly. Enemy shields just sort of disappeared.
I've won several games in a row without being able to unlock a ship. Still missing Engi(Homeworld), Slug, Rock and the other one.

Toma

It seems the more successful I am the dumber the risk I am willing to take. I am turning into, Zapp. 'Set course for those rocks over there. I bet there's a stash of alien pirate gold.'

Playing the hand you're dealt.

Had enough power to use them all at the same time. My gunner leveled up rather quickly. Enemy shields just sort of disappeared.
I've won several games in a row without being able to unlock a ship. Still missing Engi(Homeworld), Slug, Rock and the other one.

Do the same augmentations stack?

Do the same augmentations stack?

I once got a duplicate augment from an event, and it said that since I had that augment already and it was worthless for my ship, we broke it down into scrap instead. Can't recall which one it was... possibly the medical one built into the Engi Ship

flowsnake

Managed to win on Easy with the Rock ship!

I had ridiculous weapons by the end, two Burst Laser IIIs and a Breach Missile. And I was still badly damaged by the end.

Kind of funny that this is also a failure in one way, because I managed to take the stasis pod to the right place and get a Crystal man, then found the right sector to unlock the crystal ship but didn't find the node. :( And I think you get an extra achievement for doing it with the Rock ship?

Toma

I once got a duplicate augment from an event, and it said that since I had that augment already and it was worthless for my ship, we broke it down into scrap instead. Can't recall which one it was... possibly the medical one built into the Engi Ship

Yeah, I think I read somewhere that duplicate effects dont stack, wasnt sure though.

Toma

Not all of them, but according to the Wiki and FTL boards the Reloader does.

Ah, neat. Thanks. Although a bit ... weird game design wise to allow some augments to stack and others not.

Jintor

i'm beginning to think i should warp drive out of more fights. I always want to slug it out and that goes well until it doesn't

Stoof

And so, the Mantis Eckman, who was saved from slavery by the human crew, was the new captain and sole survivor from the pirate boarding raid..

Game is too addicting, even when I'm getting absolutely annihilated.

Top Bottom