• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
i'm beginning to think i should warp drive out of more fights. I always want to slug it out and that goes well until it doesn't

Especially on normal you need the cash though. Not like you can skip a few fights without lacking severely behind in the equipment department.

can't spend scrap when you're dead

fuck missiles!

Cant survive without scrap.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well I finally made it to the rebel flagship on my sixth game. I won the first battle, but on the drone wave I couldn't even get past his shields and after a long fight the Icarus II's mission came to a fiery end:

s7vYF.jpg

That second battle was entirely lopsided in that I did no damage at all to him. I needed either an assault team or much better weapons. Still, that's the best I've done yet in 7 hours of playing, got a score of 3613.

Time to start again!

fallout

Beat it!

... on easy! I've played a lot on normal, but really wanted to just beat the damn thing for once.

Had cloaking, stealth weapons, weapon pre-igniter, 1 x artemis, 2 x burst laser mark II and 1 x hull smasher laser on the Kestrel. Pretty lethal combination as it allowed to focus-fire a lot better on systems.

sixghost

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I think an asteroid caused a crack in my ships hull. There's a little tear in the hull, and the oxygen is always low in that room. Is that what happened, and is there any way to fix it?

Blizzard

Banned
I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I think an asteroid caused a crack in my ships hull. There's a little tear in the hull, and the oxygen is always low in that room. Is that what happened, and is there any way to fix it?
Missiles can do this, and I think the first few times I played I didn't realize you can fix it. But yes, if you leave a crew member in the room long enough, they will fix it. If the crew member gets low HP send him back to heal though...I don't think the cracks in the hull will reset their repair percentage like happens with system repair.

Sober

Missiles can do this, and I think the first few times I played I didn't realize you can fix it. But yes, if you leave a crew member in the room long enough, they will fix it. If the crew member gets low HP send him back to heal though...I don't think the cracks in the hull will reset their repair percentage like happens with system repair.
If you have the system repair drone you can send it in risk free. Doesn't give you back hull hp though, just makes the room sealed again. Sometimes I leave em there if it's by an airlock anyway.

Jintor

Great, I'm stalemated. Took out the mothership's weapons but can't board and actually damage anything because of their ridiculous hospital. Don't have enough firepower to break through the shields and don't have enough missiles to keep firing. FML.

Woo! Beat it on Easy with the Engi ship.

-Burst Laser Mk 3, Ion Bomb, Breach Missle
-Anti-ship Drone 1x2, Beam Drone
-Weapons Pre-Igniter, Auto-Reloader, Engi healing augment

Just barely made it, too. By the end half my crew was lost, a handful of fires and breaches, and a bunch of boarders were wreaking havoc all over the ship.

Bizarrely enough, I still haven't beaten the highscore from my very first game.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, GAF!

Jintor

Eventually I figured out that I should just ion the hospital and managed to murder everybody. the AI came online but I managed to blow the shields and teleport home before mopping up with the laser. Goddamn drones wiped me though.

daevv

Sweet! I managed to get 1 of the 2 achievements needed to unlock the B ship! Now I need to figure out how to get 6 species on the ship at the same time or how to get to 1 hull them back to 100!!
Any suggestions?

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet! I managed to get 1 of the 2 achievements needed to unlock the B ship! Now I need to figure out how to get 6 species on the ship at the same time or how to get to 1 hull them back to 100!!
Any suggestions?

I actually just returned back from repair one and I'll just echo everyone else that have said it. Just have enough scrap around to repair it all. Hang by near a shop and get yourself down to 1 hull before heading off the shop. It's pretty easy.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This game

Man

Me: "holy shit I got the damaged space pod!!! Success!!"

Game: "lololol enjoy this ship with 3 shields, an assault drone, ion bombs and fire beams!"

Me: :-(

Mindlog

Took my Zoltan (favorite) ship for another ride trying to unlock others. I got the stasis pod! I just couldn't find the research station. Still managed to unlock Engi (HW) and Rock.

I got to the final fight and was toying with the boss. Because of the Zoltan shield it's a little harder to level the shield operator. Don't know if someone else brought it up, but I found a pretty big exploit/bug. When in battle you don't need the enemy to shoot your shields to level the guy up. I had 55% evasion and 3 shield bubbles. If you keep toggling shield power to drop and raise the outer bubble it will level up your character.

I won't be using it, but if someone needs a little edge. There you go.

Zaptruder

Banned
Ah this game... such a good fun game.

Finally beat the mother ship with a nice 4 shield, Type 2 defense drone combo, upgraded shield recharge, and near maxed out engine for ~50% evade.

Up until the last sector, I was going with a boarding party strategy - I had 2 rock and 2 mantis dudes... then my rock dudes got on board a ship in an asteroid field, I started pelting the ship to bring down its shields... and by the time I realized what I had done, the ship was on a single HP, and my rock guys were on the move. Asteroid came and killed the ship and my guys on it ;p

Not as bad as the time I had 4 guys on a ship, and that ship just JUMPED AWAY!

Agkel

Had an amazing time with this game, probably around 10 hours playing give or take 2. The bad thing is I dont see myself playing the game again. Same thing happened with D3, once I reached Inferno I just lost interest in playing completely(but there were other reasons too). Personally I dont see much fun in beating the game again, which was my main motivation.

Unlocked the second ship(the square one), the stealth one, and the one you get when you beat the game that looks like the Star Trek ship. I may play again later down the road with the stealth one, since it looks interesting with the high evade and no shields but I doubt it.

Perhaps the next step in rogue like games, is to also randomize somehow the main goal of each play, for people like me. I do have to say, this is one of the few rogue games Ive been able to swallow, since I normally hate losing progression.

All in all, this was a 10/10 for me, someone that is not too much into rogue games.

KDR_11k

I have no clue how to play the stealth cruiser properly but
Crystal
B layout is better at being a stealth cruiser and will quickly collect a large array of guns due to boarding victories awarding more stuff.

Also the flagship's med bay doesn't matter all that much if you can use lockdown.

KDR_11k

Damnit, got that Kazaa Mantis thief dude, engaged in combat after letting my Mantis talk to him and listened to him as he was dying but the cache was only some random stuff, guess I needed a slug to get the location of the Mantis cruiser out of him.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Damnit, got that Kazaa Mantis thief dude, engaged in combat after letting my Mantis talk to him and listened to him as he was dying but the cache was only some random stuff, guess I needed a slug to get the location of the Mantis cruiser out of him.

You need "a Mantis in your crew, and a Level 2 Medbay and a Teleporter".
Got it on normal, on my 9th or 10th serious try. My crew unfortunately won't be able to see the results of their victory.

But, apparently I didn't unlock the federation cruiser. :(

Has anyone had that happen to them? Any way to fix it?

Aw man, that sucks. Just gotta retry I guess :/

kiyomi

5 hours in and still not made it to the final 3 sectors. :(

Need some luck I think, I always get stung in a nebula.

Great, I'm stalemated. Took out the mothership's weapons but can't board and actually damage anything because of their ridiculous hospital. Don't have enough firepower to break through the shields and don't have enough missiles to keep firing. FML.
Exact same thing happened to me once.

atomico

Just started playing, but when my ship gets breached, I move the crew to the medbay and start openning all the airlocks to lure the invaders in there. Almost feels like cheating :p

Toma

Just started playing, but when my ship gets breached, I move the crew to the medbay and start openning all the airlocks to lure the invaders in there. Almost feels like cheating :p

Just you wait until you meet robot drone invaders that dont need oxygen.

Edit: Goddamnit.

Toma

Or they break your door control before being killed by Oxygen deprivation.

He doesnt even have door control. He meant that if he turns off the oxygen supply in every room except the medbay, the intruders will come to him into the medbay, not destroying any other room. There he can of course fend them of easily.

marrec

Banned
He doesnt even have door control. He meant that if he turns off the oxygen supply in every room except the medbay, the intruders will come to him into the medbay, not destroying any other room. There he can of course fend them of easily.

I've done that, and instead of heading for med-bay they busted my door control. Either that AI was very smart, or very dumb.

Toma

I've done that, and instead of heading for med-bay they busted my door control. Either that AI was very smart, or very dumb.

Havent seen that yet. Usually, they just leave all the rooms without Oxygen supply in my games.

marrec

Banned
Havent seen that yet. Usually, they just leave all the rooms without Oxygen supply in my games.

I've seen invading parties do some odd things. It was probably a miscalculation by the AI but turned out to be my undoing since I had to send at least two people out to fix the doors, they promptly died before making it back to the Medbay and I was left with my pilot who died during the next invasion.

Ever since then I can't bring myself to vent the ship anymore. :(

ShaneB

Last few games I've realized two things, I seem to have fuel issues often, and I need an ion gun because damn those ships with level 3 shields.

I love in the crew profile how it says "Humans are common and uninteresting"
KuGsj.gif

Last few games I've realized two things, I seem to have fuel issues often, and I need an ion gun because damn those ships with level 3 shields.

I love in the crew profile how it says "Humans are common and uninteresting"
KuGsj.gif

Or just lasers. Lots and lots of lasers.

kiyomi

They always go for my doors. Always. It's infuriating.

If I just left a crew member inside the door control room, he would fix it as soon as it was damaged, right?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I was reading a bit more on this game and how to play, like the tip sheet in the OP... and then when I went to play I got my ass kicked even worse than when I went in blindly :p

Won a fight against a rebel ship and was all like "YEAAAAH!" but then the game said "you had to flee before looting the ship" so I got zero goodies from it :( Another time I ran out of missiles... and another time I followed a distress signal to a planet where I picked up a guy who went crazy on me and took out one of my crew members.

Another few questions - how do I acquire and deploy drones? How do I get my crew to board enemy ships?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've seen invading parties do some odd things. It was probably a miscalculation by the AI but turned out to be my undoing since I had to send at least two people out to fix the doors, they promptly died before making it back to the Medbay and I was left with my pilot who died during the next invasion.

Ever since then I can't bring myself to vent the ship anymore. :(

I only have the Kestrel and the Engi ship so far, but I always liberally vent rooms that invaders are in. Heck honestly I run the Kestrel with several rooms vented full time. It's always a joy when the enemies invading away team teleports into one of my outer rooms that are devoid of all oxygen. By the time they pound their way through my blast doors they are already half dead.

This game has me by the balls. Very engaging. Might be my own personal GOTY.

Woorloog

Banned
Missiles or bombs to disable shield system, or use boarding parties. Lasers to deal with rest. Beams are okay if you have charge time boosters and way to disable shields, beams are worthless otherwise.

I discovered the joys of teleporting this morning when I ended up with a heal bomb and a rockman/mantis away team. I could teleport them over into a two-tile room so any fight was 2v1 or 2v2, queued heal bomb to heal them back to full, and watched the carnage unfold.

Pure bliss.

I discovered the joys of teleporting this morning when I ended up with a heal bomb and a rockman/mantis away team. I could teleport them over into a two-tile room so any fight was 2v1 or 2v2, queued heal bomb to heal them back to full, and watched the carnage unfold.

Pure bliss.

Haha, this game has a heal bomb. I love this game.

Makonero

Guys, I bought this game on GAF's recommendation. And holy smokes, I am addicted!

This game is flipping impossible. I've made it to the final boss in The Kestrel twice now (even beaten the first form the first time) but I cannot strategize enough apparently.

Oh well. Back to play more. Just unlocked a new ship, time to play!

Top Bottom