• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Bore [Now on Steam!] Anthropomorphic Metroidvania Boars

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I tip my truncated cone head off to you, developer(s) of this game. Really nice easteregg you hid after these puzzles.

The game is on course to enter my indie goty list considerations.

Could you please make one with the boar bashing his head on the ground and the wall? Its so adorable.

Indeed!

i88ZU2zUkusFm.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Another one of those threads that made me buy a game I didn't know existed when I woke up today. *shakesfist*

If you get around to playing it, feel free to post some impressions! ;)

Toma

Well I got side tracked with some other games and my blog but I'm kind of stuck where you first find the big drill and you're instructed to find a piece of equipment, forgot the name.

The game is definitely at least 6-8 hours long. I got there as well and couldnt find that piece of equipment either, so I was tidying up my progress in the other rooms (The map shows whether you found all gems and exits). If you dont have most of them yet, it probably doesnt hurt to look at these rooms again because they teach some ... important soft skills for the later puzzles. If you want a small hint where to find that piece of equipment, let me know.

Just a heads up, you likely missed a pretty awesome easteregg already if you didnt explore too much (search the surface closely) and you should really continue playing as the game is about to become even more interesting.

My favorite little details is the boar's eyes. They add so much character and personality. Hey, Messofanego, got a GIF request for you

You know when you dig beneath a block and it's hanging there ready to drop and the boar's eyes peer up in terror just before it falls? Could you get a GIF of that?

mclem

I *was* considering waiting until Part 2 was out before playing this, but now I think I might dive in after finishing Might & Magic; my Kickstarter key is tempting me.

My favorite little details is the boar's eyes. They add so much character and personality. Hey, Messofanego, got a GIF request for you

You know when you dig beneath a block and it's hanging there ready to drop and the boar's eyes peer up in terror just before it falls? Could you get a GIF of that?

Yup!
iFqfhX4VXzT7e.gif

I also like the boar's leaning over:
izn6C63mrTK1Y.gif

Spinning dive!
iVUTuKlN12D15.gif

Idle animation:
iTUKMr30GrBwB.gif

Toma

Interested in this game :)

How can the boar not die from that fall?

The boar can also solve puzzles that most humans arent able to solve. SUPERBOAR.

Toma

I've just paid £10 for the game and OST. I'll try and give it a whirl tonight and let you all know how it goes.

Looking forward to read some more impressions on it by others.

Li Kao

Hello guys !
So a mysterious kind soul (who is not so mysterious) gifted me the game with the sole requirement of giving feedback in this thread. Will do. And thank you !
Before doing so I must confess that I have a love / hate relationship with puzzle games. With some games of this kind I tend to fear the wall phenomenon. As in "ah the puzzles are too easy" giving way suddenly to "uh, I can't go on anymore, I'm stupid and I hate this game".
So the greenlight page of Full Bore was met with distrust at first but after reading a little about the game I greenlighted it soon after and have been following it since.
That's it for the pre-playing stuff, now let's get to the game.
Thanks again, mysterious benefactor !

Thanks to Toma for the game. A couple of brief initial impressions:

As evident from the screenshots and GIFs already posted the art-style is utterly charming, and even more so in motion.

I also found myself smiling at the character selection. You can choose a male or female boar, but the gentle humour with which it is presented is a lovely touch:

lAvt2GH.png

DR9XNO5.png

zM5Zip1.png

Note also from the above how the game's on-screen prompts switch automatically between keyboard and controller on the fly: there are plenty of games that don't bother with that kind of detail!

Anyway, on to actually playing...

Toma

Oh wow, didnt even notice that. Cool detail.

Note also from the above how the game's on-screen prompts switch automatically between keyboard and controller on the fly: there are plenty of games that don't bother with that kind of detail!

Anyway, on to actually playing...
Yeah, the game is incredibly well thought out and polished, also with its approach to the level design and progress, but I am looking forward to see what you guys think. Maybe I am just being stupid afterall :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Even more annoying are games that require you to exit and restart if your controller turns off. Ubisoft is particularly notorious for this, though less so with recent ports.

Toma

Hello guys !
So a mysterious kind soul (who is not so mysterious) gifted me the game with the sole requirement of giving feedback in this thread. Will do. And thank you !
Before doing so I must confess that I have a love / hate relationship with puzzle games. With some games of this kind I tend to fear the wall phenomenon. As in "ah the puzzles are too easy" giving way suddenly to "uh, I can't go on anymore, I'm stupid and I hate this game".
So the greenlight page of Full Bore was met with distrust at first but after reading a little about the game I greenlighted it soon after and have been following it since.
That's it for the pre-playing stuff, now let's get to the game.
Thanks again, mysterious benefactor !

I would certainly be interested to see what you think of the game in terms of difficulty and progression with that in mind.

Interesting. The game appears to be locked at 30fps, which is not itself an issue of course, but I've noticed I'm getting some slight nausea from the scrolling. Anybody else noticed that?

Hofmann

Toma and others are hyping the game so vigorously it's hard to pass by indifferently, but man I have quite a few games I need to finish, so I dont' know if adding another one will do me well. The game looks gorgeous, though. The free exploration element really picked my interest, so I'll buy it eventually.

Toma

Interesting. The game appears to be locked at 30fps, which is not itself an issue of course, but I've noticed I'm getting some slight nausea from the scrolling. Anybody else noticed that?

Hm, I am usually overly sensitive to these kind of things, but I didnt notice anything. Eating and drinking a bit before playing helps me most of the time if its just slight nausea.

Hm, I am usually overly sensitive to these kind of things, but I didnt notice anything. Eating and drinking a bit before playing helps me most of the time if its just slight nausea.

I've just moved on to another area and the framerate has suddenly increased and now it "feels" much better. How strange.

Weird, I have it on 60fps constantly. Hope it sorts itself out, cause going back and forth between 30 and 60 depending on the area might get annoying.

Toma and others are hyping the game so vigorously it's hard to pass by indifferently, but man I have quite a few games I need to finish, so I dont' know if adding another one will do me well. The game looks gorgeous, though. The free exploration element really picked my interest, so I'll buy it eventually.

Promise to your soul that in this lifetime you will purchase it, and we're cool.

iboR8Zzq75hbkL.gif

Got it? ;)

Toma

Weird, I have it on 60fps constantly. Hope it sorts itself out, cause going back and forth between 30 and 60 depending on the area might get annoying.

Promise to your soul that in this lifetime you will purchase it, and we're cool.

iboR8Zzq75hbkL.gif

Got it? ;)

Hahaha
01laugh.gif

How are you liking the game now after playing some more btw? Or were you just busy creating a lifetime of adorable threat gifs?

Weird, I have it on 60fps constantly. Hope it sorts itself out, cause going back and forth between 30 and 60 depending on the area might get annoying

Yes, it's now running for me at 60fps too, though it occasionally dips down into the high 40s. I suspect that it is more to do with my rather old laptop than the game itself; the site says that the game is "graphically demanding". That said, the earlier section was a rock-solid 30fps, which is why I assumed at first that the entire game was like that. I couldn't see any obvious reason why that part should be different.

Toma

Yes, it's now running for me at 60fps too, though it occasionally dips down into the high 40s. I suspect that it is more to do with my rather old laptop than the game itself; the site says that the game is "graphically demanding". That said, the earlier section was a rock-solid 30fps, which is why I assumed at first that the entire game was like that. I couldn't see any obvious reason why that part should be different.
If you have more issues, you could also try turning off v-sync ingame. Its weird, but helps sometimes.

Hahaha
01laugh.gif

How are you liking the game now after playing some more btw? Or were you just busy creating a lifetime of adorable threat gifs?

I don't think I can add much more than what already has been said. I wish there was a "you fucked up the way to get up there" indicator like in Closure
i6VaWT1j8SHcf.gif
or other puzzle games cause I'll be randomly backspacing thinking there's a way to get some blocks in place to make stairs to a higher place.

The map system is fantastic, a bit small, but I got used to it. It doesn't tell you everything like other map systems that give you a whole GPS-like deal.

Love that in each location they tell you the music track. Just been having fun exploring around and figuring out stuff on my own. Sometimes I'll forget what my goal is, so wish there was an objectives screen.

If you have more issues, you could also try turning off v-sync ingame. Its weird, but helps sometimes.

That was a good suggestion. I went back and replayed that section with v-sync off, and even though the framerate was around the same it felt so, soooo much better. Then I put v-sync on again and ugh! Barf city. Bad v-sync! Off you stay!

Just bought it from the main site through the Humble widget. Bought a pack of cigarettes earlier for $6 that I shouldn't have and that put the $5 I was fretting over in perspective :p the picture of controller support ITT put my mind at ease, too (I have xpadder, yeah, but sometimes that can only do so much depending on the game). Already looking forward to the second half and seeing it pop up on Steam eventually.

That was a good suggestion. I went back and replayed that section with v-sync off, and even though the framerate was around the same it felt so, soooo much better. Then I put v-sync on again and ugh! Barf city. Bad v-sync! Off you stay!

I always turn off v-sync in games and use D3DOverrider instead.

Toma

I don't think I can add much more than what already has been said. I wish there was a "you fucked up the way to get up there" indicator like in Closure
i6VaWT1j8SHcf.gif
or other puzzle games cause I'll be randomly backspacing thinking there's a way to get some blocks in place to make stairs to a higher place.

The map system is fantastic, a bit small, but I got used to it. It doesn't tell you everything like other map systems that give you a whole GPS-like deal.

Love that in each location they tell you the music track. Just been having fun exploring around and figuring out stuff on my own. Sometimes I'll forget what my goal is, so wish there was an objectives screen.

I actually like that I sometimes forget what my goal is. I tend to just open the map, choose a room I havent found everything in yet, and go adventuring. Makes the game feel less restrictive to me since the game is not openly pushing me to do certain areas right away. Not sure about the "you fucked up"-indicator, that could be a bit too much handholding, dont you think? I mean thinking whether your progress is actually working is half the puzzle, otherwise you could just trial and error your way through pushing the blocks until the indicator pops up.

I actually like that I sometimes forget what my goal is. I tend to just open the map, choose a room I havent found everything in yet, and go adventuring. Makes the game feel less restrictive to me since the game is not openly pushing me to do certain areas right away. Not sure about the "you fucked up"-indicator, that could be a bit too much handholding, dont you think? I mean thinking whether your progress is actually working is half the puzzle, otherwise you could just trial and error your way through pushing the blocks until the indicator pops up.

Yeah, I'm not fussed about not knowing my goal, because the exploration is enjoyable on its own.

I do the trial-and-error anyway, but it'd be nice to know when I have FUBAR'd a room.

Li Kao

I would certainly be interested to see what you think of the game in terms of difficulty and progression with that in mind.

Well, to preserve what little is left of my self-esteem in this life, I was speaking more about pure puzzle games. I'm ok with metroivanias or other exploration games.
Just played a few minutes (got to hit town to retrieve the new cc), and yup, charming, really adorable characters living in this world. I'm not clear yet what the deal was with
the computer message and if there are humans living here
, but I'm happy in antropomorphic land with boar tycoons and mouse secretaries.
Will go back to it asap, I have to see if I can push some box in a way to explore the surface a little more :)

Toma

Well, to preserve what little is left of my self-esteem in this life, I was speaking more about pure puzzle games. I'm ok with metroivanias or other exploration games.
Just played a few minutes (got to hit town to retrieve the new cc), and yup, charming, really adorable characters living in this world. I'm not clear yet what the deal was with
Will go back to it asap, I have to see if I can push some box in a way to explore the surface a little more :)

You should (if you manage to do it) ;)

There definitely appear to be
humans
in this world, even if only in myth: I've just found some kind of cave painting...

I have to say, I like the way the plot is unfolding so far. Rather than spelling things out we seem to be getting fragments of lore or snippets in conversations (it's nice how talking to characters repeatedly gives further dialogue) and encouraged to piece things together ourselves. That helps greatly with the immersion.

Top Bottom