• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Bore [Now on Steam!] Anthropomorphic Metroidvania Boars

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I asked the dev how they got to the idea about their characters/world and why its a boar:

The digging boar was the first thing to happen, then we just had to come up with a world where a digging boar would make sense, as the game evolved into more of a narrative puzzle exploration game. We have lots of ideas for other games after Full Bore, it just depends on if we do well enough to keep on making games. Thanks again for helping spread the word about our game, it helps a lot.

So yeah, if we want these incredibly talented people continue making games, its our part to let others know about it and to vote with our wallets and voices.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I most definitely found a
living human girl in one room, just chilling on a crate on the right. Nothing happened when I touched her...

Really curious how that plays out.

CTLance

Just bought it for a fiver off the humble store.

I'll begrudgingly admit that it is rather fun. I just lost half a day. No clue where it went.

Still, first thing I managed to do was find my way
back into the safe
via
one of those shrine things
. That wasn't exactly satisfying. :-/

Toma

Just bought it for a fiver off the humble store.

I'll begrudgingly admit that it is rather fun. I just lost half a day. No clue where it went.

Still, first thing I managed to do was find my way
back into the safe
via
one of those shrine things
. That wasn't exactly satisfying. :-/

Haha, well it was unexpected at least :p

Remind me the next time that I recommend a bad game instead to you so you wont have anything to begrudge.

CTLance

Haha, well it was unexpected at least :p
You can say that again. :)

I just wish the terminal diary entries / emails would be saved in some sort of Journal.

Only three stone things lit so far. I fear this will take some time.
Remind me the next time that I recommend a bad game instead to you so you wont have anything to begrudge.
Don't make me get my Deluxe Punishment Bag.

pyMSp9M.gif

Toma

You can say that again. :)

I just wish the terminal diary entries / emails would be saved in some sort of Journal.

Only three stone things lit so far. I fear this will take some time.

Don't make me get my Deluxe Punishment Bag.

pyMSp9M.gif

Well the second part isnt ready yet, so I assume it should take around 8 hours for most of us to get through the first part, which is decent enough. I also suggest you all subscribe to this thread, which I will bump once the second part is out. And its pretty amazing that this game is so polished AND has so much content btw. It would be a huge shame for them not to get any decent success and not being able to make more games.

Toma

Fifth Orb and 38 diamonds get.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Forgot all about this when I got to work. Just bought it! Will download it later when I get home from work this evening.

Hofmann

Few days ago I saw wild boars walking proudly down the street near my home, as I live in a neighbourhood surrounded by a forest. Now that I think of it, it had to be a sign of something good bound to happen.

Taking it into consideration I think I''ll jump on board sooner than expected. Well, another success Toma:D

Toma

Few days ago I saw wild boars walking proudly down the street near my home, as I live in a neighbourhood surrounded by a forest. Now that I think of it, it had to be a sign of something good bound to happen.

Taking it into consideration I think I''ll jump on board sooner than expected. Well, another success Toma:D

Everything according to keikaku.
keikaku means plan

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
About an hour in with First Dig and I can't recall the last time a game had been able to charm me with its mix of humor and style within moments. From pretty much the get-go, you're taught to never be able to expect what the hell you're going to stumble upon and I think it sets a fitting precedent for the rest of the game to follow.

A1D5DEF44EC595B21C89C7B7FE8E154E2877364E

On the surface level it's a grid-oriented block puzzler, one where your boar or boarette must collect riches from the depths of the diamond mines run by a B.P. Richfield style boss who thinks you have stolen his vast riches from his vault (when in reality what happened was way stranger, I don't think he'd believe you if you could tell him) and he tasks you with getting it all back. This operation of his has run for quite a while and there appears to be some passages long forgotten about, which is where Full Bore's metroidvania muscle begins to stretch.

9D09AF0E0A3AB9EF59506EB459A32F97FF2F3BC4

Tucked away in corners of areas are hidden places for the player to traverse to, requiring some outside of the box thinking to climb towards. Due to being a boar, Frederick/Hildi only has so much they can do. Pretty much all of that is beating their head against things to break them apart or move them. It's adorable and entirely in line with how the player will eventually feel - beating their head against a hard, flat surface trying to thunderously jerk to life the right brain cell that might know how to approach a brainteaser. I have to admit I find myself easily frustrated with things like this nowadays, spoiled by The Swapper's fluid and "organic" solutions to puzzles most likely. Still, this shouldn't be taken as a strike against Full Bore.

70E8426DD0BF3508261D7952344A5EED3A50AFAA

Reservations about the puzzles aside I'm intrigued by the markings and strange mechanisms left underground that the game teases me with once I start wondering if exploring this corner is worth the hassle or not. It'll be interesting to see just how much Full Bore answers and how much is left behind for its second half later on.

Toma

Nice impressions Cheesecake :)

Edit: Random aside, me gifting keys led to about 2000 thread views today, hope at least 5% of those translated into purchases.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Full Bore dev is aware of the thread, registered on GAF today. Waiting to find out his GAF name so I can pass it on to Stump

I can't wait to have them join us here. Makes it so much easier for us to communicate with the devs without having to resort to the terrible forums on steam or putting up with shoutouts on twitter. And they gave Toma a direct shout out! How cool is that?

bede-x

Four hours into it and 30.58% completed. I'm probably slow but am enjoying this immensely. The controls take a little while to click if you're using controller, until you start using L/R instead of diagonals to move over obstacles and I wish the map screen was as attractive as it is informative (even if it isn't zoomed in enough). That aside this is adorable, consuming and not the least bit patronizing in terms of handholding, which I'd consider one of its best qualities. Even the music is good. Thanks for the recommendation, Toma, and for the monthly indie threads.

I could use a little help though:
The QR code on the map screen is approaching Fez levels of cleverness, but where do have to stand to input it?It doesn't seem to work (I'm assuming the reversed cones mean down and L/R refer to the triggers)

Nice Metroid reference in the Memories room btw :)

chumple

Neo Member
Hi folks,

More_badass was kind enough to ask the mods to expedite my admission. So if anyone has any questions, ask away!

chumple

Neo Member
I'm the artist/animator for the game, and all three of us work on story, so if the questions get particularly technical, i can rope in the other guys to answer them.

Toma

Hi folks,

More_badass was kind enough to ask the mods to expedite my admission. So if anyone has any questions, ask away!

Heya, congrats again on this fantastic game :)
Why is the
truncated cone hat not wearable?
:p (I guess it would have been too much animation work, but I wish it was!)

Also, was it a conscious decision to not have a "log" of the story bits in the PCs? Was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it would be nice to have a single log of them in the inventory.

I'm the artist/animator for the game, and all three of us work on story, so if the questions get particularly technical, i can rope in the other guys to answer them.

The whole game is really well polished but the animations and overall adorableness sell most people on it after starting to play it, so I guess that must be pretty awesome for you how everyone loves the style and animations. Any other work you did before?

I concur with Toma. The animations are one of the highlights for me. Even before I got into depths of the mines or encountered any puzzles, the wonderfully charming animations stood out. You added so much character and personality to that little boar. Especially the eyes

Toma

Four hours into it and 30.58% completed. I'm probably slow but am enjoying this immensely. The controls take a little while to click if you're using controller, until you start using L/R instead of diagonals to move over obstacles and I wish the map screen was as attractive as it is informative (even if it isn't zoomed in enough). That aside this is adorable, consuming and not the least bit patronizing in terms of handholding, which I'd consider one of its best qualities. Even the music is good. Thanks for the recommendation, Toma, and for the monthly indie threads.

I could use a little help though:
The QR code on the map screen is approaching Fez levels of cleverness, but where do have to stand to input it?It doesn't seem to work (I'm assuming the reversed cones mean down and L/R refer to the triggers)

Nice Metroid reference in the Memories room btw :)

Easteregg spoiler: Go into
the room with the QR code, take a look around and just consider the LRLRLLLR

Let me know if you need a more direct hint.

Toma

I got it and it's sooo cool. Thanks :)

Yeah, I really liked that as well. After I figured out that puzzle, I was hopelessly in love with that little boar.

I'm not crazy in thinking
there was a little human girl in the right corner of a room chilling on a block
? Or was I hallucinating?

FALSE ALARM

Toma

I'm not crazy in thinking
there was a little human girl in the right corner of a room chilling on a block
? Or was I hallucinating?

You dont happen to remember which room, right? Or where it was more or less? Near surface etc

Another thing I like in the game was how you (well your team) introduced new concepts and gradually increased the difficulty. It's very subtle, no handholding. The puzzles and exploration go hand in hand and new blocks are just introduced in passing. You're not pounded over the head with tutorial messages on how a block does this or that. It's all very natural and masterfully paced.

chumple

Neo Member
I don't remember putting a little girl in, you should post a screenshot. Also, if someone could ask the mods to admit "onlysol" to neogaf, we could have the programmer here too.

Once you leave the tutorial area, you have everything you need to solve any of the puzzles in the game, provided you can figure it out!

Toma

Another I liked in the game was how you introduced new concepts and gradually increased the difficulty. It's very subtle, no handholding. The puzzles and exploration go hand in hand and new blocks are just introduced in passing. You're not pounded over the head with tutorial messages on how a block does this or that. It's all very natural and masterfully paced.

There is just so much about the game that just screams quality. I still cant believe its their first project as a team, even though every one of them already probably did some work before. But the programming is top notch, the game features work so well together as a concept, and the art is strikingly adorable. And all that in a rather sizeable and very coherent game. I mean all devs deserve to be able to make money off of their work, but if those guys fail to make money with this game, the Indie community failed.

I don't remember putting a little girl in, you should post a screenshot. Also, if someone could ask the mods to admit "onlysol" to neogaf, we could have the programmer here too.

Once you leave the tutorial area, you have everything you need to solve any of the puzzles in the game, provided you can figure it out!

Yeah, its one of those aspects that make the game stand out as much as it does.

Toma

Asked a mod, we'll see when they get around to do that.

I had no idea there was like an actual narrative when I got the game. A friend on IGS was a backer and recommended it and after Escape Goat, another block based puzzles game was intriguing. And the fact that it was open world and the art style. But really this was practically a blind purchase.

So I'm very happy that the game was not entirely what I was expecting, which was a faster paced platformer. The mysterious story and how the player pieces it together, the focus on puzzles and exploration, the slower pace, just how expansive the map is...all a pleasant surprise.

Are you able to share how Full Bore is doing sales-wise and on Greenlight since the NotOnSteam sale began?

Toma

I had no idea there was like an actual narrative when I got the game. A friend on IGS was a backer and recommended it and after Escape Goat, another block based puzzles game was intriguing. And the fact that it was open world and the art style. But really this was practically a blind purchase.
I am actually a bit fed up with blockpuzzle based platforming games, but somehow... this game just clicked. I am surprised myself that I like it as much as I do.

chumple

Neo Member
We're doing better sales-wise in the last two days than the entire previous month, so that is awesome!

Casey is the only person on the team that has worked on games before, but we're all passionate about our particular aspect of development. I'm glad it shows.

We're at 7,900 yes votes on greenlight, which it says is 72% of the way to the top 100, which are the games that valve looks at. we got around 300 yes votes in the last few days.

We're doing better sales-wise in the last two days than the entire previous month, so that is awesome!

Casey is the only person on the team that has worked on games before, but we're all passionate about our particular aspect of development. I'm glad it shows.

We're at 7,900 yes votes on greenlight, which it says is 72% of the way to the top 100, which are the games that valve looks at. we got around 300 yes votes in the last few days.
That's great!

And wow, for a first game, as a company and overall, this is quite an accomplishment. I look forward to your future projects.

Toma

They said 6-8 hours on their website to play through the game. Anyone else think... thats rather "conservative"? At least if we are talking about 100%ing it. Probably already playing 10 hours and I am at 70% or so.

chumple

Neo Member
the 8 hour number is our estimate of the average play-through, which is not finding 100% of everything. The story requires very few things to be completed to finish this part of the game, so you could do a low percent run with 1 gem, a story item and the right path in a pretty short amount of time. Try it!

Toma

the 8 hour number is our estimate of the average play-through, which is not finding 100% of everything. The story requires very few things to be completed to finish this part of the game, so you could do a low percent run with 1 gem, a story item and the right path in a pretty short amount of time. Try it!

Will do once I actually figured out how to finish it 100%. Currently trying to solve "Stacking" (Deep Delve -> Hot Logic -> Stacking), and that seems impossible to solve at 4 am, so I am off to bed for today and will re-attempt that tomorrow.

Top Bottom