• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full F-Zero AX arcade game found on F-Zero GX disc

FlyFaster

This is a great find.

Too bad things like this are going to be history. Just like unlockables, extra costumes, secret codes, ect.... all the things we liked as kids from a bygone era will now be behind paywalls. :(

It really is the best racing game ever. Too bad my Wii's disk drive is busted, though. I can't play it. :(

I can play it on Dolphin, but it won't be 60 FPS glory...

Which included the F-Zero AX courses.

But not the AX rules, i.e. checkpoints, time limit, etc. and various other things from the arcade game like the menus and coin counter.

The AR codes give access to all of that, as if it were the actual arcade game.

Lijik

You can find some pretty whacky stuff in games. I remember poking around in Phantasy Star Online Episode 3 when I was younger - pretty much half of EP 1 & 2 data is just sitting around. Also half of the cards are disabled and normally unplayable in-game (but fully completed sans card art) but with some messing around you can get them all playable in game (all of the monsters from EP 1 & 2 are in the game). Also the ability to play as your own character is hidden away as well.

GCNRD (GCN Remote Debugger) was incredible!

As I recall, the wii version of Rayman Raving Rabbids contains a build of the original platforming version on it but no one found a way to play it/view its assets last i checked.

andylsun

Wow. I knew hanging onto that PAL action replay for GC was a good idea. I have Fzero as well, so will try this next weekend. Awesome find.

MKUltra

I have the newer version of Action Replay where you can't add new codes, still really amazes me it was not found for all these years though.

Why was this even on the disc?

They made AX first and just built GX on top of it, maybe? Or maybe they planned to make AX unlockable but SEGA said "fuck no, we want our arcade money".

It's hard to say. Tons of stuff gets left in retail copies of games for no discernible reason. Maybe it's just because it's more time-consuming to clean up a game of unnecessary/unused assets or content. Same reason beta levels are in most games.

Slermy

This is pretty crazy news, especially since GX was released before AX. Reminds me of finding all those hidden levels and whatnot in GoldenEye a decade after its release.

Same here. I was able to beat Story mode, but could never unlock these tracks.

How?

How?

Playing it in all of my free time, lots of frustration and cramped hands. I was in disbelief when I finally beat that damn thing. I think it was all the effort put into that which killed my desire to continue the pursuit of the AX tracks.

This would be interesting to try but is it even possible to use an action replay if you have to use an import cd disc additionally? Damn I miss F-Zero on the gamecube one of the best gaming experiences last gen.

Bururian

Hey guys, don't select settings at the end of a race, it just goes to a black screen where you have to reboot the game.

I'm using an AR disc on my Gamecube, by the way. Don't know if it will do the same in the Dolphin emulator.

My biggest regret was not being good enough to unlock those AX tracks.

I never even knew they were there until years later. For all it's great achievements, F-Zero GX was simply too hard for me. A fucking shame too as I enjoyed it quite a bit, but to unlock everything was just too much for me and that's where the fun ended personally.

The Hermit

whoa-neo01.jpg-720x540.jpg

-PXG-

I got it to work on Dolphin. As soon as I get to the vehicle select, the framerate drops to 45-55 fps. The audio cuts in and out too.

Proud to say I was able to unlock both the AX tracks and Pilots in the GC version. I also played the arcade cabinet which is amazing. If I remember right the only difference is some of the screens and some of the music. But its pretty much the same game except you wont die if you fall off the track you'll just get restarted by the little robot like in VS mode. Playing the arcade cabinet was the big deal with the game that thing shakes and sways like crazy

F-Zero AX - Night of Big Blue (Arcade Version)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Feels weird when I just brush this off as pretty cool when I read about it weeks ago on the Cutting Room floor (was actually looking up stuff on F-Zero to correspond with the Wii U release) but then it pops up on GAF much later and everyone is crazy about it.

MEATfast

Banned
Proud to say I was able to unlock both the AX tracks and Pilots in the GC version. I also played the arcade cabinet which is amazing. If I remember right the only difference is some of the screens and some of the music. But its pretty much the same game except you wont die if you fall off the track you'll just get restarted by the little robot like in VS mode. Playing the arcade cabinet was the big deal with the game that thing shakes and sways like crazy

F-Zero AX - Night of Big Blue (Arcade Version)

RndtKoP.jpg

You've gotta be fucking kidding me...

Must download all of the lost tracks!

Madao

the main draw of the arcade version was the machine itself and filling your license card by fulfilling the requeriments.

also, in AX, you can't use GX vehicles or tracks so this mode is actually more limited than the normal game. i was hoping i could race in the other 4 cups with arcade rules.

Top Bottom