• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future skyscraper will hang from an Asteroid (Cloud City!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/29/living/analemma-tower-orbiting-skyscraper-trnd/index.html

Feeling too fancy for normal earth-bound existence? A new skyscraper concept would elevate your living situation -- literally.

Clouds Architecture Office has unveiled plans for a futuristic skyscraper dubbed the "Analemma Tower." The building would hover majestically above the ground because it would be attached -- wait for it -- to an actual asteroid, in space, that is forcibly put into orbit around the Earth.

If that's not enough to digest, consider that your exact address in this pendulous pad could be anywhere on Earth.

The tower will be suspended via high-strength cabling from an asteroid and placed in "eccentric geosynchronous orbit". In other words, it would be always moving -- residents and visitors would take a daily journey between the northern and southern hemispheres with a prolonged visit over a main "home" point like New York City or Dubai (it's always New York City or Dubai, isn't it?)

170329152556-01-analemma-tower-orbiting-skyscraper-exlarge-169.jpg

170329103621-analemma-tower-over-new-york-city-super-169.jpg

The design leaves some pretty important questions to be answered, like, "What do I do if I want to also have a life on the ground?" "Won't my family and friends miss me because they will only have a finite window each day in which to see me, and even then, I will be floating above the earth, unable to make contact?"

If you have to ask these questions then, we hate to say it, you are probably not ready to live in a huge mobile asteroid tower, but the designers have your back nonetheless.

So uh… who’s ready to take the next step and live in the sky! Cloud city Baby!

I know architecture/engineering firms sometimes do outlandish concepts just to get their name out there, but if that's the case here, this isn't going to get the attention they wanted.

This is a very, very strong contender for worst idea of all time.

Alx

residents and visitors would take a daily journey between the northern and southern hemispheres with a prolonged visit over a main "home" point like New York City or Dubai

How do you stop an asteroid in its orbit ?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So where exactly do we get an asteroid and bring into perfect orbit so it never escapes into space or falls to Earth?

Kayhan

I know architecture/engineering firms sometimes do outlandish concepts just to get their name out there, but if that's the case here, this isn't going to get the attention they wanted.

This is a very, very strong contender for worst idea of all time.

It doesn't help that the concept art looks like babby's first photoshop.

spekkeh

Banned
Sure, hang a big asteroid above earth and then add weight to it (filled with people) to drag it back down. Sounds like a great plan.

How would it stay in the main place for a prolonged time?
They want to use absurd amounts of fuel every day to slow it down and then accelerate the asteroid again?
(Not posting any the Expanse spoilers!)

Also that must be some sick cables for a building that size.

Horrible for flight safety too.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How do you stop an asteroid in its orbit ?

If Super Starsust Ultra has taught me anything, use the opposite elemental gun to slow it down, not same type, cause that will do too much damage!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Would never set my foot in or near that hypothetical building, that motherfucker would come crashing down.

tbm24

Somehow despite how ridiculous this idea is, it's more plausible to me than a floating air conditioner over a stadium.

I mean. Just make it a space elevator in geosync orbit with some apartments on it.
It will be impressive enough even without floating around, don't worry.

No mention any where on how they would actually deal with a decaying orbit, which would prove to be the most complex engineering task of this entire concept.

It's not like the ISS you could periodically engage thrusters to adjust altitude because of the scale of this and the fact that most of the structure is within the atmosphere itself.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This qualifies for one of the worst ideas ever. Also seems to lack basic understanding of how space, Earth and asteroids work.

azyless

So a 3 kms tall building hanging on to an asteroid thanks to cables hundreds of kilometers long ? How would you even "get an asteroid" ?
I'm sure this will happen.

Chichikov

So this is a dumb publicity stunt.
Yeah, they seem like a design firm, the only things I see that they have actually done is a bookshelf, some conference rooms, a couple of art installation and a studio.

This idea is silly and doesn't make any sense.
Outside of getting the publicity, which thanks to some uncritical news outlets did manage to achieve their goal.

Legit one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, like holy shit.

I know it will never happen, but to even think up something like this you must have been smoking something.

Red

Been seeing this posted a lot on Facebook the past couple days. People are too credulous. Even if technically possible, this is not a reasonable idea and creates more problems than it solves.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So where exactly do we get an asteroid and bring into perfect orbit so it never escapes into space or falls to Earth?

Steal it from the asteroid belt!
Put rocket boosters on it and tow it to the perfect stratosphere

If that's too much, just wait for the Arachnids from Klendathu to send one over and we catch it before it destroys a major city, so simple!
Roughnecks know there way, Do you want yo learn more?

Koomaster

Why not just launch the building itself into space and put it in orbit than try to actually wrangle an asteroid and deal with the problems associated with controlling that.

LOL love it when a bunch of artists come up with a crazy concept without doing any logistics or even math.

"Artist Bob Smith has come up with a concept for a small device that turns your shit into gold. Here's his genius design that could change the world!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom