• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman AA - 3
Uncharted 2 - 2
Infamous - 2

Haven't played alot of games this year yet =(

As a HUGE Batman fan it's great to finally have that one game i've always wanted since i was a kid. Graphics, story, gameplay, voiceacting, ect pretty much everything was perfect. Can't wait for the sequel!!

Infamous was fun but i feel like they could of added so much more. Side missions were repetitive, but the gameplay was fun and the twist at the end was really cool. Was also my first platinum i really worked hard for. :D

UC2, Can't really add anything that hasn't been said before. The new graphics king. Good story, fun gameplay. Alot of epic moments. Would of been my GOTY if i wasn't a huge Batman mark.

Screw it, I'm going to make a list of 10 games, as I feel that all of these games deserve a point, regardless of how insignificant my vote is in the long run. Again, each of these games is getting 1 point:

1. Killing Floor (PC)
2. Scribblenauts (DS)
3. NSMBWii (Wii)
4. Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (PC)
5. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)
6. Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
7. Prototype (PC)
8. Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)
9. Big Bang Mini (DS)
10. Word Ace (iPod Touch)

Uncharted 2- 3 points
New Super Mario Bros Wii- 2 points
Zelda: Spirit Tracks -2 points
Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story- 2 points
Dragon Quest V- 1 point

Ten-Song

Assassin's Creed II: (3)
Modern Warfare 2: (2)
Uncharted 2: (2)
Batman: Arkham Asylum: (1)
Borderlands: (1)
Resident Evil 5: (1)

Killzone 2- 3

Uncharted 2- 2

Demon's Souls- 1
Resident Evil 5- 1
Infamous- 1
Silent Hill- Shattered Memories- 1
Ratchet and Clank- A Crack in Time- 1

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
timetokill said:
* RE: Extending the voting deadline *
Something that I've noticed from years past is people wishing that they had a little more time to play games they got for the holiday. To try and address this issue, but still keep the awards to a reasonable timeframe, I have pushed the voting end date to January 3rd instead of December 31st, giving three more days. I am willing to push the voting end date to January 9th at midnight, if there is enough interest. If you would prefer the later voting deadline, please send me a PM. If I get, say, 50-100 people requesting a push in the deadline, I will do so and it will be reflected in this thread. So far I have received a couple PMs regarding this so be sure to let me know.
Why not just give people the entire month of January? There's no rush for this... you can give it any deadline you want, so why not give people a generous amount of time to play the games they got for Christmas?

Any games released in January obviously won't count.

Risen - 3
Mirror's Edge -2
Splosion Man - 2
Canabalt - 1
Batman: AA - 1
Ghostbusters - 1

Didn't play many 2009 titles all that much, was catching up on older titles a lot more, I'm sure at least L4D2 and NSMB: Wii would have been on there had I got round to buying/playing them. Blame Steam sales.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Uncharted 2 - 3
Batman Arkam Asylum - 2
Killzone 2 - 2
Infamous - 2
Ratchet and Clank - 1

Strange year... the games I played through were mostly PS3 only games with the exception of Batman which was multiplatform. So many big games were delayed. I felt PS3 had the strongest showing. ODST and Left for Dead 2 both didn't grab me. Assassin's Creed 2 bored me despite really trying to get into it, Modern Warfare 2 was fun for the short time it lasted (I mostly just play single player). Resident Evil 5 was gorgeous but gameplay wasn't all that great. Brutal Legend was OK. Ninja Gaiden 2 was OK too. Dragon's Age wasn't that great but unless it's a gorgeous game, grinders like that don't appeal to me (Final Fantasy series being an exception). But the games I gave points to I really enjoyed. Rachet and Clank was great but it did feel like more of the same but good enough to deserve a point.

Looking hugely forward to Mass Effect 2 (!!), Alan Wake, God of War III (!!), Bayonetta, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII, Yakuza 3, with a sideorder of Darksiders and Dante's Inferno come the next few months.

DoomGyver

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Killzone 2 - 2
PixelJunk Shooter - 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Flower - 1
Shatter - 1

Old system is best. This sucks.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Demon's Souls- 3
Dragon Age- 2
Batman:AA- 2
Assassin's Creed 2 -1
Uncharted: Among Thieves-1
Halo: OTSD-1

Boring List, But I finished each of those games and felt they stood above everything else I played released in 2009. Wish I put time into Infamous, but that'll have to wait.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
THREE
Street Fighter IV - 3

TWO
Dragon Age Origins - 2
Resident Evil 5 - 2

ONE
New Super Mario Bros Wii 1
Blazblue 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1

big ander

Lostconfused said:
Damn, wish I could vote for Mirror's edge. Wait, pc version came out this year? Damn it!
I'm confused how anyone can. Wasn't Mirror's Edge 2008? If I'm a wacko and it was this year, I'll go edit my post.

Tain

Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 - 3
Demon's Souls - 2
Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram 5.66 - 2
Street Fighter IV - 2
The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match - 1

I hate voting for ports of games instead of their original release, but fuck, dude, the only games I played even worth playing this year were arcade ports from pre-2009.

'cept Demon's Souls, that game was cool.

Almost threw Policenauts on there, but 2002um was better. And I'm pretty positive that Bayonetta is really deserving, from what I've played of the PS3 import, but I'm waiting to play it f'real on 360.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
big ander said:
I'm confused how anyone can. Wasn't Mirror's Edge 2008? If I'm a wacko and it was this year, I'll go edit my post.

Wasn't the PC version pushed into '09 because of the physX enhancements ?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
big ander said:
PS3 and 360 --> 2008
PC version --> 2009
If you played the PC version, you can vote it.
If you played any of the console versions, you can't.

Tain

big ander said:

It was a January 09 release on PC, making it perfectly valid.

Myzer

Uncharted 2 - 3pts
Ratchet & Clank: ACiT - 2pts
Killzone 2 - 1pt
Brutal Legend - 1pt
Dirt 2 - 1pt
Torchlight - 1pt
Cities XL - 1pt

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Raw64life said:
Dragon Quest V - 3
Demon's Souls - 3
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2
Punch-Out!! Wii - 1
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
Only one game can get three points, you'd better edit your list :p

Jocchan said:
PS3 and 360 --> 2008
PC version --> 2009
If you played the PC version, you can vote it.
If you played any of the console versions, you can't.
What if I played through it once last year on 360. Later this year I bought it again and played through the game again. Either way I am voting for it.

Nothing changes from the other thread for me:

Assassin's Creed 2 - 3
Uncharted 2 - 2
Batman: AA - 2
MLB 09: The Show - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Demon's Souls -1

Wipeout HD Fury | 3

Uncharted 2 | 2
Flower | 2

Demons Souls | 1
Batman: Arkham Asylum | 1