• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

1. Forza Horizon 2 ; An absolutely fantastic game. Great driving mechanics and physics, excellent graphics and art style, great open world. Just awesome.
022cebbb-0935-49ab-af8a-dce24a924693.jpg

2. Wolfenstein The New Order ; Brilliant shooter, on par with Half Life 2. Good story, extremely fun shooting, good level design and excellent art style. The presentation in general is top notch. The cutscenes are some of the best I've seen in any game. The scene in the mental hospital in particular was incredible.
2236784-gsm_169_waitinggame_wolfenstein_092413_320.jpg

3. Titanfall ; Some of the most fun I've ever had in a multiplayer game. It is an absolutely sublime blend of movement, shooting and Titan combat. Surprisingly, the hype was real.
930.0x524.0.jpg

4. Telltale's Walking Dead Season 2 ; Not as good as season 1 but still a fantastic Telltale game. Story was gripping and tense throughout. The dialogue and characters was as always top quality.

5. Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition ; Really surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. Fun combat, enjoyable platforming, good looking game. Best of all I got it for free.

* Honourable mention: Halo MCC ; If this game gets fixed before the deadline it's going right up there at number one. Sadly at the moment it's still very much broken.

Edit: Hmm, I may have already posted in this thread. I shall delete the other post. Hopefully this didn't break the rules or anything.

m0t0k1

Will edit it later on with explanations.

1. Rune Factory 4 ; This was the reason i bought the 3ds. The farming, the dialogue, the mining its all amazingly addictive and fun.
2. Idolm@ster One For All ; The Love letter to all Im@s fans. The systems of managing idols have been greatly refined and there is a lot of content.
3. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; I never thought i see the day. Puzzles are simpler and the cases too. Or else this would have been nr1
4. Hyrule Warriors ; Great musou game. Like the boss mechanic and zelda world works great with it.
5. Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland ; A remaster of one of my favourite Atelier games. The graphics has been updated, New Story Chapters and the new mechanics.
6. Love Live School idol festival ; Mobile is keep getting better and better. This game is a great rhythm game that keeps getting frequently updated.
7. Bayonetta 2 ; What a ride. So much fun combos and epic boss battles its online is also pretty fun.
8. Smash Bros U ; Smash is always great. But this one feels kinda rushed or else it would get higher. I miss an adventure mode, stickers a fun arcade mode.
9. Tales of Xilia 2 ; Although its not the looker. Still an enjoyable game just love the fighting mechanics in this game.
10. Shin Megami Tensei 4 ; EU had to wait a long time but glad it's here. Games start outs really hard but after that its a fun ride. There are better SMT so that is why its not rated higher.

Honourable mentions:
Mario Kart 8 ; Not the game i wanted it to be. Don't like the item balance or else it would have made my top 10
Samurai Warriors 4 ; It's missing some of the mechanics i expected from DW but the update next year will fix that.

1. Sunset Overdrive
2. D4
3. Child Of Light
4. Halo: The Master Chief Collection
5. Valiant Hearts
6. The Evil Within
7. Wolfenstein: The New Order
8: Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare
9. Peggle 2
10. Destiny

JJP12

These are the games I've had the most fun playing in 2014!

1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; It took the concept of the first game and brought it to a beautiful yet mysterious island. The characters were interesting and developed very nicely. The murders and the trials were more heartbreaking than ever before. The emotional highs and lows and all the insane revelations made it impossible to put down. This is easily one of my favorite video game experiences of all time.

2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; This was my introduction to the crazy world of Danganronpa and I absolutely loved it. The murders, trials and overall story of Hopes Peak Academy kept me glued to my Vita.

3. Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn ; As a fan of Gundam and Dynasty Warriors, this was a match made in heaven. The game offered fast paced mech fighting action that was very satisfying. Collecting plans to create more powerful mobile suits was an added layer of fun.

4. Destiny ; I was really disappointed with the lack of any interesting characters or story; but even with out all that, the game was still undeniably fun. The gunplay was top notch. Speeding around the various maps doing story missions, bounties, strikes and just messing around was some of the most fun online gaming with friends since my Mass Effect 3 multiplayer days.

5. Tales of Hearts R ; This game has that old school jrpg feel. The battle system is typical top notch tales. The story is interesting enough and I'm constantly chuckling from all the cheesy humor. It's just a really fun lighthearted adventure.

6. The Wolf Among Us episodes 2-5 ; Being able to interact with the Fables version of fairy tale characters was fascinating. The world was dark and mysterious. Unraveling the mysteries of the world as Bigby Wolf was just great. I loved how situations could be handled calm and politely or in a punch you in the face type of way.

7. Assassins Creed Unity ; One of the best looking next gen games I've played to date. Arno was a likeable character and his interactions with Elise was just great. I really enjoyed the changes Unity brought to the gameplay. The difficulty was ramped up and it forced you to proceed stealthily. Instead of chain killing 12 guards in a row, you now had to plan your movements carefully and avoid conflict when possible. The open ended assassination missions were a welcome addition as well. I real hope these changes are brought over and built upon in next years installment.

8. Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire ; I have always loved Pokemon and this game was no exception. Although this entry feels like the easiest Pokemon game to date, it is still a blast to play. Hoenn looks absolutely beautiful in 3D. DexNav was a great addition and many hours have been lost hunting down Pokemon with their hidden abilities and egg moves.

9. Luftrausers ; "Just one more try!" *Hours later still playing* This is Luftrausers in a nutshell. The gameplay is fast, intense and satisfying. I love the customization and how much it changes the way you play.

10. Madden NFL 15 ; Having not played a Madden game in a few years I was pleased with this years entry. The mechanics felt as good as ever. Online matches are still a ton of fun. Madden Ultimate team was a very welcomed addition. This is also the only way to make my Oakland Raiders feel relevant :/

Just a heads up, I haven't played a few of the titles that are receiving many votes. I've only just begun Dragon Age and haven't put enough time into it to determine if it should be in my top 10. I've still yet to even open my copy of Far Cry 4. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out before voting ends. I was also planning on finally buying a Wii U this fall for Smash but I had some car troubles and basically will need to wait until early next year to finally dive into that. So this list may change a bit but right now these are the games I enjoyed most =]

Volcane

1. Alien:Isolation ; Loved it, faithful to the movies.
2. South Park The Stick of Truth ; Great Story, very funny, just like the cartoon
3. Xcom Enemy Unknown ; Great reimagining the the original games, great strategy
4. The Walking Dead Season 2 ; Great story
5. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ; Great story and looks great
6. Watch Dogs ; Found enjoyable
7. The Evil Within ; Nice atmosphere
8. Wolfenstein The New Order ; Nice old school style fps

hal9001

Banned
I still have some games that I need to finish off but here is the preliminary list so far.

4KEr52M.jpg

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; At first I was hesitant to go so full in the hyperbole but after all these months since I first played it I still think it is probably the greatest 2D platformer ever made. The shear perfection of the wonderful soundtrack combined with immaculate level design makes it a joy to play.

7xuCOmg.jpg

2. Bayonetta 2 ; Pushes the dial up to 11 and somehow improves on the mechanics of the first game to give one of the best action gaming experiences around.

leBClCX.jpg

3. Super Smash Bros Wii U ; This is pure gaming bliss with a collection of some of gaming’s great characters. There is so much to do and unlock that it will keep you hooked for ages to come.

q63rQjA.jpg

4. The Evil Within ; I feel this is a flawed masterpiece. Stunning lighting and presentation provide for some of the best collection of action set pieces inspired from an amalgamation of other games and influences. Feels like a greatest hits of survival horror genre remixed by Mikami.

c6KjZkP.jpg

5. Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes ; It might be short but I had so much fun. The stealth mechanics are incredible and controlling Snake feels so fluid (thanks in part to the solid 60fps) and dynamic. The various missions showcased what’s to come in the full game and are surprisingly replayable.

QuZpSDw.jpg

6. Mario Kart 8 ; Arcade gaming refined for the high definition era. Fun, simple to play and relaxing after a day’s hard work.

xgNkVei.jpg

7. Shovel Knight ; Nostalgia overload with its amazing pixelated graphics and chip tune soundtrack. It controls great to play and the difficulty progression is paced really well.

wStJgIt.jpg

8. Infamous: Second Son ; One of the first graphical showcases for this gen. The various powers make traversal great to move around the city and explore.

Beth Cyra

1. Warlords of Draneor ; I have been into WoW for a very long time however I've always felt that it was at it's best with Wrath, and Warlords actually challenges that as they made the game better then it's ever been.

2. Mario Kart 8 ; Really great family game.

3. Hyrule Warriors

4. Dragon Age Inquisition

5. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

ColdRose

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; An expansive, beautiful world filled with memorable characters, great lore and one of Bioware's better stories (though it felt too short). Also that epilogue scene. And actually decent romance stuff too. Main story could have been longer, fetch quests could have been less and tactical camera could have been more zoomed out. But these are minor nitpicks for a game that shows that Bioware is still alive and kicking. Loved every damn moment and I'll be playing it for a long time yet.

2. Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall ; Great setting, good companions, much better story and pacing than Dead Man's Switch. But too short and still too linear, and still under-utilising Deckers.

3. Blackwell Epiphany ; I hadn't heard of the Blackwell games until they were all in a Steam sale. I wanted something light to play so I bought them. So glad I did. Best point and click I've played in a while, with a really nice narrative going on.

4. Wasteland 2 ; Good characters, reasonable storyline and some nice choice & consequence. Didn't blow me away, but I had a great time with it.

5. Divinity: Original Sin ; I loved, loved, loved the combat in this game, which is why it ranks as high as it does. But the narrative, characters, writing all left me a bit bored which is why it doesn't rank higher.

6. Sims 4 ; underrated game, which is understandable given the massive pre-release and launch cock-ups. But it's solid, with very few bugs, enjoyable gameplay and some nice enhancements, plus decent post-launch support. Hopefully Maxis are able to make some expansion packs and give the game longer legs.

7. JULIA: Among the Stars ; Apparently a remake, though I never played the original. Lovely visuals, some nice puzzles and quite atmospheric. Very short, though.

Honorable Mention:

x. Murdered: Soul Suspect ; I enjoyed my time with this game, but the whole thing reeked of untapped potential. I loved the premise, the story was fine and some of the
gameplay very enjoyable. But yeah, ultimately an exercise in what could have been.

MidEvlDed

Here is my tentative list. There are a lot of games that came out this year that I haven't played yet. I may finish another game or two before the deadline and update my list.

1. Destiny; The combat in this game is addicting. Although I've put the game down recently, I did put 100 hours into this game in the first month. Can't say that about any other game on this list.

2. Watch Dogs; Although the game didn't look as good as I was hoping it would, I love open world games and stealth games and I thought this game did both very well.

3. South Park: The Stick of Truth; I haven't watched the series regularly in a long time, but I loved this game. Great music and a fun, funny story.

4. Wolfenstein; I was not expecting the voice acting and writing in this game to be so good. I was blown away. And it's a fun shooter too.

5. Child of Light; Amazing art, good music, fun battle system and enough exploration to keep things from feeling too linear. Bought this during the PSN winter sale and was very surprised with it.

6. Shadowrun Dragonfall; I enjoyed the story to Shadowrun Returns more, but this game was probably more fun to play. Great CRPG.

7. Styx: Master of Shadows; I love stealth games and this is a fantastic stealth game. I had a hard time following the overall story, probably because it's related to another game.

8. Dragon Age: Inquisition; I had a lot of fun with this game for a while, but I started to burn out around the 40 hour mark. I put this game low on my list because I really dislike games that require you to earn a certain number of "points" before you can progress the story. Mandatory side missions need to die off in my opinion.

9. Infamous: Second Son; This game looks incredible. One of the best looking games on the PS4. I liked the characters as well and this is another game with pretty good voice acting. But the missions do get pretty repetitive after a while.

10. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes; I love stealth and I love sandbox style gameplay, so it's on the list. I'm also a MGS fan so that doesn't hurt. Had a fun time with this and looking forward to more when the Phantom Pain is released. Just wish it was a bit longer.

Edit: I removed Far Cry 4 from the list. As I kept playing I realized that it was literally the exact same experience as Far Cry 3 (for me anyways). Swap out the story and you're still a guy running through trees and grass, killing animals, and capturing outposts. Feels like I'm replaying FC 3 again.

Also swapped Shadowrun and Styx, moving SR up one to 6.

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; Absolutely massive game, packed with content, looks great, sounds great, everything I look for in an RPG or any video game for that matter.

2. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; I was following this game for a while so it was no surprise to me when it turned out as great as it did, it was a good entry to the series and the future looks bright.

3. The Walking Dead: Season Two: Episodes 2-5 ; I enjoyed this as much as the first, a fantastic use of the license and I can't wait for more.

4. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare ; I didn't expect this to make it on my list but I've been playing it since EA gave it away and it gives me that awesome feeling of enjoyment early TF2 used to give me.

5. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; Has that one more turn addiction, couldn't get into the original release on the PC however Rebirth on the VITA really hooked me, great pick up and playability.

6. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Great fan service, really nails the presentation of the TV despite the hit and miss jokes, that's expected from almost 10 hours of them though.

7. Valiant Hearts: The Great War ; Beautiful and poignant, left a lump in my throat.

8. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; FPS games usually aren't my thing but this was different, well designed and a lot of fun.

9. Kingdom Rush: Origins ; Shout to my favourite mobile game, great graphics/animation, plenty of re playability in the challenge levels.

10. Infamous: Second Son ; Great looking and the controls were tight, the reason it's not higher is cause it wasn't long enough.

Andrew J.

I looked back at the votes, and the influx of Bayonetta 2 being #1 really jumped very high once Dragon Age started getting a ton of votes. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins solely based on the fanbase's initiative to get it to win.

Hmm...no relevant activity in the Platinum community thread. It's probably just statistical noise, especially given the timing; you'd expect a big fanbase initiative toward the end, not the beginning, after all.

ThisOne

1. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; I was worried that something would be lost when this game was announced for consoles. I played it on the PS4 and am loving every minute of it. Tons of content to find and no two runs are the same.

2. Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions ; A lot of people shit on this one for some reason. Not really sure why, since it has everything I loved about Geometry Wars 2 plus additional modes and gameplay elements. Much like my #1 game, I'm still playing this one and having a hard time stopping.

3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; If this had come out while I was still in high school, it for sure would have been my game of the year. I'm almost 30 years old now so it's harder to find people to play with. Luckily, the online portions of this game were good most of the time but I still miss having a bunch of friends that I can sit down and play Smash Bros. with for hours at a time.

4. Don't Starve (PS4) ; This one was released early in the year so I almost forgot about it. This was basically the only game I played on my PS4 during January and February since Battlefield 4 was broken and Killzone Shadow Fall was a bit of a letdown. Nice looking graphics and it has as great sense of discovery.

5. The Evil Within ; As others have said, this game was great but could have been so much more. I played it on the PS4 where the framerate and letterboxing put a damper on things. I still enjoyed it a lot. Much better than Resident Evil 5 or 6 in my opinion.

6. Mario Kart 8 ; Essentially everything I said about Smash Bros. could be typed here too. Great game that I would have loved more if I had more friends that could easily come over and play locally.

7. Destiny ; The game is a little light on content and the loot, enemies, missions lack variety, but it's still a very fun game. The groundwork is there for this to be a great franchise once the sequels come out. Crucible was fun but a little imbalanced and vehicles were disappointing. Getting a group of 6 people together to do the Raid was probably the most fun I had with a game all year.

8. The Last of Us Remastered ; My favorite game from last year. Not much to say here other than the updated graphics and framerate were very welcome and made a masterpiece even better.

9. OlliOlli ; I sort of lost interest in the Vita this year, but OlliOlli was one that I still played for awhile. Each run only lasts a minute or less so it was hard to put down and not just keep trying to top a high score over and over.

Disappointment of the year goes to Infamous: Second Son. The game looked amazing but was so boring to play. I hope Sucker Punch ditches the franchise and works on a new IP. The first two games in this series are much better than SS.

Unison

No, the idea is that there's a greater initiative to vote Bayo2 for some silly reasons. As in, more of the fanbase mobilizing and voting simply because they want it to win.

The trend is there. There's no arguing that.

EDIT: To be fair, it does seem like there's this whole subsection of GAF that gets insulted by the very idea of a game like DAI winning over it. I'll leave it at that, though

Stop it with the conspiracy theories...

I voted for Bayonetta, but it's not some sort of anti-Dragon Age vote... Dragon Age: Inquisition is simply not worth voting for.

I voted for Dragon Age 1 in the GAF GOTY thread back in the day, but Dragon Age: Inquisition is awful, buggy, dumbed down garbage in comparison. In a year with excellent RPGs to pick from (Divinity: Original Sin, Might & Magic X, Persona Q, etc.) it is almost depressing that the most overproduced yet shallow of them all is the one winning GAF's hearts.

But that's just my opinion... I don't begrudge posters' right to theirs... That being said, there are literally people voting for Dragon Age despite not having played it in this thread! I saw one poster vote for it after only watching the game on Twitch. The senseless voting runs both ways, to be sure.

And for those lists that seem to skew toward a certain console? Not everyone owns every platform or plays a slew of releases during the year.

EGOMON

1. Driveclub; Underrated game of the years the game is one of my favorite racers of all time with amazing driving mechanics, a beefy offline mode and mind-blowing graphics

2. The Last Of Us Remastered; One of the best story driven games ever made with great combat and gameplay

3. InFamous Second Son; The game world and the powers are just tons of fun

4. Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition

5. Don't Starve: Giants Edition

6. Velocity 2X

7. Watch Dogs

8. Wolfenstein: The New Order

9. LittleBigPlanet 3

10. Transistor

Note: All multiplates are PS4 version

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Going to fill mine in as I go - I'll make it prettier over time, and the order may change (drastically). But I want to go ahead and throw out a rough draft while I continue to think.

I own all the systems, handhelds, and a gaming PC - so if I wanted, I had an opportunity to play anything released this year.

1. Super Smash Bros for WiiU ; Your thoughts on Game A.
2. Super Smash Bros for 3DS ; Your thoughts on Game B.
3. Metal Gear Ground Zeroes ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Driveclub ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Titanfall ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Bayonetta 2 ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.

Honorable Mentions
x. Halo The Master Chief Collection ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game K.
x. Game L ; Your thoughts on Honorable Mention Game L.

LX_Theo

Banned
Hmm...no relevant activity in the Platinum community thread. It's probably just statistical noise, especially given the timing; you'd expect a big fanbase initiative toward the end, not the beginning, after all.
I'm just going to go ahead and pity the people who think I was suggesting it was anything remotely close to rallying people to do it. Everyone yelling conspiracy theory just strikes me as an idiot.

How is it so hard to imagine an influx of people, individuals with more potential reason to get motivated than others, getting motivated to mobilize and post their lists earlier or at all once they see their horse not winning?

If I meant people were rallying together and calling on others to vote for something like that, I would have said that.

Yoda

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order
2. Dark Souls 2
3. Super Smash Bros Wii U
4. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

Sadly that's it for me, didn't really play much this year.

Zophar

1. Dark Souls II - While I don't think it is as pitch-perfect as DS1 was, it's a worthy follow-up that deserves a spot next to its predecessors.

2. Bravely Default - BD is the game I've been hoping S-E would make for years. Loved its FF5 homage combat, though I think the former is a stronger title.

3. South Park: Stick of Truth - I've only just gotten started with it but its ingenious. The perfect license tie-in game, IMO.

4. Child of Light - Same as above, but I'm loving every minute of it. Even with all the bad press Ubi's been getting, I'm really glad they took a chance on a little gem like this.

5. Goat Simulator - The best 10 minutes you'll ever spend with a game, seriously. I was dying. But it wears thin after that.

I mostly just had my Steam account on a laptop with limited capabilities, so I had some narrow options this year.

1. Warlords of Draenor
2. Mario kart 8
3. Bravely Default
4. Hyrule Warriors
5. Smash Bros Wii U
6. DK: Tropical Freeze
7. Captain Toad

Dolor

1. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II ; Best isometric ARPG in the business right now
2. Total War: Rome 2 - Imperator Campaign; Imperator Campaign is amazing and almost as good as the base game and free
3. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Best action game I've played possibly ever
4. Lords of the Fallen ; An easier, more forgiving Dark Souls is a better Dark Souls
5. Divinity: Original Sin ; The triumphant return of CRPGs
6. Defense Grid 2 ; The best tower defense game around
7. Age of Wonders III ; Picking up the mantle of the HoMM genre
8. Wargame: Red Dragon ; One of the better SP RTSs/wargames to come out in a few years
9. Ancient Space ; One of the better SP RTSs to come out in a few years
10. Magic 2015 ; Best online CCG gets better with customizable decks

Caramello

I definitely need more time to formulate my list.. A few titles that I haven't had a chance to play yet but hopefully I'll get to do that by the deadline.

Karram

1. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
2. Dragon Age Inquisition
3. Titanfall ; One of my favourite multiplayer experiences in a long time.
4. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare ; MP only. Haven't touched the SP.
5. D4
6. Threes
7. 1001 Spikes
8. PvZ Garden Warfare
9. Sunset Overdrive ; FUCK the humor in this game and whoever wrote it.

awp69

1. Titanfall - I don't care what others may say. This is by far the best online game I've played. Great maps, fast and furious gameplay and.... Massive mechs! Can't get much better than that.
2. Sunset Overdrive - Seriously underrated and probably will go down as one of my favorite open world games of all time. Just a blast.
3. Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition - Love hack n slashes and a long time Diablo fan. Despite all the problems of its initial PC release, this final version is perfect.
4. Geometry Wars 3. Best DSS of all time returns with an amazing amount of content and a kick ass adventure mode
5. Outlast - the first game to literally scare the crap out of me
6. Valiant Hearts - Original, beautiful side scrolling adventure where you also learn some history
7. Halo Master Chief Collection - yes, the online problems sucked, but even having four of the best FPS ever on on disc and looking better than ever earns a spot on this list.
8. Child of Light - Beautiful artwork combined with a quite challenging battle system
9. Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare. Never did I expect a multiplayer shooter version of PvZ to work so well and more fun than many of its more adult counterparts
10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Have to admit, I really enjoyed the campaign on this one for once. And Kevin Spacey is the shit.

Footnote: I'll be getting some games for Christmas that probably would have made this list: Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation and GTA 5 Remastered.

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order
2. Dark Souls 2
3. Super Smash Bros Wii U
4. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

Sadly that's it for me, didn't really play much this year.

1. Warlords of Draenor
2. Mario kart 8
3. Bravely Default
4. Hyrule Warriors
5. Smash Bros Wii U
6. DK: Tropical Freeze
7. Captain Toad

1. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
2. Dragon Age Inquistion
3. Titanfall
4. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
5. D4
6. 1001 Spikes
7. PvZ Garden Warfare

come on guys, comments

Zugma

I still have several games from this year that I have yet to play, so this list could change over the next few days as I try to play at least one or two titles from 2014. I would like to play Transistor and South Park before I finalize this list, but for the time being these are my five favorites from this year.

(The write ups for Alien, MGS, and Far Cry will be done by tomorrow)

220px-The_Evil_Within_boxart.jpg

1. The Evil Within ; Mikami's return to the horror genre was met with some mixed reception, but despite some clumsiness with the handling of the stealth, I could not get enough of this game. It took four playthroughs to earn the platinum, and each time through the game my opinion of it increased. Reminiscent of RE4 in the way that each time I cleared the game I wanted to instantly start a new game and play through it again using all the things I'd learned to tackle the various encounters all over again. The Evil Within is constantly providing different challenges, and environments in which to tackle them, throughout its 15 chapters. The pacing isn't quite as tight as RE4's (first two chapters really drag on successive playthroughs), but Mikami was able to still mix up the gameplay enough that it continued to feel fresh over several playthroughs.

250px-Wolfenstein_The_New_Order_cover.jpg

2. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Who knew that BJ Blazkowicz was such an interesting guy? Machine Game's take on Wolfenstein transforms the previously dull military grunt into an actual character we care about, and also surrounds him with strong well-defined characters. This is a game where you will kill Nazis with laser guns on the Moon, yet it still takes the time to provide memorable characters, strong dialogue, and good cutscene direction.

On the gameplay side, The New Order is no slouch either. The game has such a strong sense of pace throughout, mixing things up with shooting, stealth, exploration, and some nice palette cleansing chapters back at your base (which some found boring, but I felt were essential to the game's structure). The lean mechanic was such a joy to see in the game, and made the shooting so much more interesting than its contemporary console brethren. Being able to dual-wield practically every weapon under the sun was helpful, too.

220px-Alien_Isolation.jpg

3. Alien: Isolation ;

MGSV_Ground_Zeroes_boxart.jpg

4. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes ;

220px-Far_Cry_4_box_art.jpg

5. Far Cry 4 ;

Honorable mentions -

x. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ;
x. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ;
x. Infamous: Second Son ;
x. Freedom Wars ;
x. MLB 14 ;
x. Shovel Knight ;
x. Child of Light ;

Steel

Banned
Power ranger characters is kind of trolly (though a number of them are also not that good) but I just got to level 16 some 40 odd hours in and pretty much agree with him.

Yeah felt the same. It's the reason why DA: I didn't even touch my top 10 list. Personally I find it somewhat disheartening that Bioware is getting such a huge thumbs up for this game, but I suppose I just have an uncommon opinion here...

On a random side note: I think >25% of posts now are in the wrong format.

1. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel ; Borderlands is probably my favourite new IP of this generation so while most might see this game as more of the same when the same is just that damn good then i'm okay with that.
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; Not even a big LotR fan but this game is just amazing.
3. Dark Souls II ; I liked most most of the changes made and it stole a good 2-3 weeks of my social life away from me.
4. Dragon Age Inquisition ; Not Bioware's finest but still pretty damn enjoyable.
5. Bravely Default ; Had potential to be #1 but we all know what happened there.
6. Jazzpunk ; Crazy insane, insane crazy.
7. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 ; I like crazy anime vampires and this delivers.
8. Assassin Creed: Unity ; Was not completely broken for me and having not played an AC game since 2 felt kinda fresh.
9. Pokémon Alpha Sapphire Edition ; Shorter than I remember this game being but still alot of good catch em all fun.
10. FIFA 15 ; All hail the king.

I think having to add comments is dumb but I can understand why you would want people to.

Andrew J.

How is it so hard to imagine an influx of people, individuals with more potential reason to get motivated than others, getting motivated to mobilize and post their lists earlier or at all once they see their horse not winning?

Extremely hard. Hardly anyone would bother getting worked up over vote tabulations at this early point in the voting. Not to mention that the most motivated people are the ones most likely to vote anyway.I'd say that the biggest Bayo 2 boosters are the ones who voted it their #1 as soon as they saw the thread was open. The behavior you're positing is completely illogical.

Ralemont

not me
I voted for Dragon Age 1 in the GAF GOTY thread back in the day, but Dragon Age: Inquisition is awful, buggy, dumbed down garbage in comparison.

I'm a big Origins fan but Inquisition is better in almost every way. The almost accounting for the shitty party AI. The zones are designed intelligently, the story/characters are great, the combat is actually fun and engaging (play Origins on console...) the music is memorable. It's what I was hoping to see from BioWare trying to go back to regional open world.

Vire

Can we stop with the Dragon Age/Bayonetta bickering? Everyone knows the true GOTY is Hearthstone.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Somehow, I now feel the urge to put Bayonetta 2 at the top of my bracket, just for Theo.

Anyway, I don't understand the meltdown, because it's quite obvious that DAI is winning without any real rival - considering Wii U is super unpopular and DAI is on every console other than Wii U, I don't think it's even worth discussing if Bayonetta 2 standas a chance. I'd be surprised if it even reached number 2 or 3. And just to further Theo's conspiracy: I'm playing DA:I right now and think it's mediocre in the only relevant area (gameplay).
I don't care if it wins GotY though, I'm more interested in the recommendations we get at the end anyway.

Worst FTFY ever.
Hearthstone/Captain Toad bickering is the next stage of the thread

Kappa
Somehow, I now feel the urge to put Bayonetta 2 at the top of my bracket, just for Theo.

Anyway, I don't understand the meltdown, because it's quite obvious that DAI is winning without any real rival - considering Wii U is super unpopular and DAI is on every console other than Wii U, I don't think it's even worth discussing if Bayonetta 2 standas a chance. I'd be surprised if it even reached number 2 or 3. And just to further Theo's conspiracy: I'm playing DA:I right now and think it's mediocre in the only relevant area (gameplay).
I don't care if it wins GotY though, I'm more interested in the recommendations we get at the end anyway.

well that's not true actually

Wynnebeck

Banned
dragon-age-inquisition-header-625x351.jpg

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; It's curious that I put this as my GotY. I thought DA:O was an absolute bore 2 hours into the game and never played it again or DAII for that matter. So I tried Inquisition and it instantly clicked for me. Immense in scope and size, Inquisition is the game I wish Dragon Age had been all along. Beautiful graphics, decent story, and overall just fun to play and dick around in. Definite GotY.

Danganronpa-2-Goodbye-Despair-Featured1.png

2. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; After playing the first game, I thought there was no way that the second game could come anywhere close in matching the insanity. I was oh so wrong. The despair flows like a waterfall in this game and it's only due to Inquisition being a smidge better that this game isn't in my #1 spot. If you have a Vita, YOU NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME.

The-Last-of-Us-Remastered.jpg

3. The Last of Us: Remastered ; "Well Ellie, I guess we really are The Last of Us."

EXMaster

I'll start with two and add more later as I think of stuff.

1. Earth Defense Force 2025 - It amazing to me that there so many great, high-profile games that came out this year competing for your attention, and yet, I spent the most amount of time by far, on this lowly, seeming unremarkable game. I'm actually still playing with a group of people slowly making our way through Inferno, and it is a hilarious, awesome riot every time we get together. It would be hard not to argue that its lacking in stlye, but it more than makes up for it in substance. You could say it's true gamer's game. This is why I love the Earth Defense Force series.

2. Dark Souls II - Having just finished it recently, I can't say that I enjoyed it as much as previous souls games. For some reason, it just didn't grab me like the others did. However, even at its weakest, I still had my fun with the latest souls game and felt it was worth the time spent.

6l63KJ.jpg

1. Far Cry 4 ; I really loved Far Cry 3, and 4 was essentially a better version. The setting and characters were definitely much more interesting, and exploring Kyrat was awe inspiring and fun. Co-op made the game have a lasting appeal, and the gameplay itself is great.

DjSihj.jpg

2. Bayonetta 2 ; I absolutely love this game! The combat is incredible and feels so smooth. I had a blast playing it, and even though the story isn't that strong, that doesn't matter to me in a game like this. The gameplay is top notch, and this is definitely one of the best character action games I've ever played in my life.

FkL8EU.jpg

3. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; It's pretty much a glorified demo for The Phantom Pain, but a damn good one. The gameplay is phenomenal and the super short main story mission was really good. The side ops were great and added onto the length.

9BDZ95.jpg

4. Infamous: Second Son ; Even though this game had some flaws in the story department, it had a lot of strengths too. The gameplay was excellent and addictive. I loved exploring Seattle while neon dashing up buildings, and I also loved the constant movement during fights; it made the game feel very fast and smooth. Overall, the characters were all pretty likable, and the main villain was a good villain. I still like to pop it in and just explore Seattle every now and then; it's absolutely gorgeous.

OS9YFo.jpg

5. The Last of Us Remastered ; I got this when it first released, but this year was pretty empty in terms of big games for me so I'm counting this. I usually don't like to do that, but this game is just so good. The campaign and multiplayer are just phenomenal; I just love everything about this game.

Aw6fUI.jpg

6. The Evil Within ; Even though this game had a lot of flaws, I really enjoyed my time with it. I still don't quite understand what happened, and hopefully the DLC explains it, but the main reason I liked this game so much was because of how much it felt like the Resident Evil 4 sequel I always wanted. The second playthrough made me really appreciate the game a lot more, and the difficulty was oddly refreshing.

WUZNsN.jpg

7. Outlast ; I'm a big fan of horror games, and had been dying to play this game for a long while. When it came out on PS4 and was on PS+ I finally got a chance to play it. This game, to me, was scarier than Amnesia, and that game is one of the few games to actually ever scare me. The game was very intense during the beginning, and even though the tension disappears after you start to figure out how to manipulate the AI, I still loved it. The DLC was my favorite part of the game because it explained what happened more and had by far the most disturbing enemy; Eddie Gluskin.

Y5Tnim.jpg

8. Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor ; I originally wasn't planning on getting this game, but impressions on here and from friends made me change my mind. I obviously don't regret it. This game was so much fun; the combat felt like the Batman games, and the nemesis system was genius; I hope more games use a system like it.

ewu02p.jpg

9. Metro Redux ; I really love post-apocalyptic settings in any media, and having the chance to play Last Light due to PS+ exposed me to the awesome world of Metro. I finally got to play Metro 2033 with the release of Redux, and I really loved it. Both games have great stories and interesting worlds to explore. Last Light is by far the best, and reminded me a little of Half Life 2 at times, but 2033 is also a very strong title. Both games back to back made for a great experience.

EvXGTE.jpg

10. Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix ; I love Kingdom Hearts II, and finally being able to play Final Mix was awesome and a lot of fun, but the main reason this is on here is because of Birth By Sleep. I never had a PSP so this is my first time being able to actually play the game; I absolutely love it. The combat system is very fun and has a lot of cool mechanics. The characters are all very likable, and I really like how each character has their own story. I can see why everyone gives this game a lot of praise.

Honorable Mentions
x. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax ; I love Persona, and I loved Persona 4:Arena; it was the game that really got me into fighting games. I spent hours playing the first, and I've clocked in tons of hours just playing this. The new moves and characters are awesome, and Golden Arena mode is addictive and fun.

x. Freedom Wars ; I'm still not through this game, but I've put a lot of hours into it and I really like it. The combat is fun, and using the thorns reminds me of what I'd want to see in an Attack on Titan game. The story's not the strongest (I'm at CODE 6 so it could get better for all I know), but playing it with friends is the best and the combat makes it worth a mention to me.

x. Infamous: First Light ; I'm a big fan of the Infamous series and really enjoyed Second Son, so First Light was a welcome reason to return to the universe. Fetch's story was interesting to play through, but the real star of the show was the combat. Her use of neon is somewhat different than Delsin's, and it was fun to get a chance to use the power in a somewhat new way. I also enjoyed the arena mode quite a bit. A great experience, and a must play for Infamous fans. It's as addictively fun as Second Son.

NFreak

Man, it completely baffles me how every single year so many people fail to read the OP and lose their vote. Come on guys, pay attention to the formatting rules and faq. Anyways, onto my list. This year was kinda dominated by Nintendo for me.

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Somehow, someway, Platinum was able to take the top spot on my game of the year list two years in a row. The Wonderful 101 was my game of the year last year and this year, it's Bayonetta 2. To be honest, it's hard for me to decide which game I enjoy more but what I do know is that Bayonetta 2 took everything that made the original Bayonetta great and refined it into a package that is quite possibly the greatest character action game of all time. The game's pace is just absolutely perfect with no real lulls in the action. And to top it all off, the game is also a treat to look at. I wasn't expecting much from the visuals but man, everything is so vibrant and the enemy designs are fantastic. If you don't have a Wii U, this game alone is worth owning the system for.

2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; It always baffles me how Sakurai is able to pump out so much content in each of his games and Smash Bros for Wii U is no different. I am not a competitive player by any means so for me, this version of Smash is easily the best Smash I've ever played. The character roster is fantastic, the gameplay is still superb, the stages are great, I could go on and on. Also, this is the game that got me addicted to Amiibo. This is both a good and bad thing but the implementation in the game itself is actually pretty cool. Just a joy to play.

3. Mario Kart 8 ; Much like Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Mario Kart 8 might very well be my favorite Mario Kart of all time. If not, it's definitely neck and neck with Mario Kart DS. What really makes Mario Kart 8 so great in my opinion though is its track designs. With the addition of the anti-gravity stuff, it allowed Nintendo to have much more creative freedom with their tracks and it also allowed them to change up classic tracks rather than just copying and pasting them over from older games. I've spent countless hours with Mario Kart 8 and with the new DLC tracks, I don't think I'll be stopping any time soon.

4. Sunset Overdrive ; So open world games usually don't grab me. I didn't really know what it was but a lot of the time I just lost interest in them over time. Well because of Sunset Overdrive, I found out at least one of the reasons why. The traversal in Sunset Overdrive completely blew me away and even prompted me to make a video on it. The traversal makes just roaming Sunset City fun and is way more engaging than walking around a vast open plain. I genuinely enjoy all the humor as well and love the bright vibrant colors used. More developers need to take chances like Insomniac did with Sunset Overdrive.

5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Retro Studios is yet to make a game I don't enjoy. Sure, they've only really worked on two series' but every single game they've created has been incredible. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played. The level design is impeccable, it looks gorgeous, and there is no way I could forget about the music. Oh man, the music. David Wise outdid himself with the soundtrack for Tropical Freeze and it's easily my favorite soundtrack this year. The entire package is just awesome.

6. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; I almost forgot that this game came out this year because it's sequel also came out this year. I haven't had a chance yet to play through Danganronpa 2 so for now, the first game will be the only one on my list, but jeez, what a ride it was. I'm a pretty big fan of visual novels/text adventures and Danganronpa was sort of like a mix of 999 and Phoenix Wright. The story completely grabbed me from the beginning and I couldn't stop playing.

7. Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ; Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright are two of my favorite franchises of all time so it was almost a given that a crossover game between the two would make my list somewhere. Thankfully the game did not disappoint. It does a wonderful job of switching between the puzzle solving of Layton and the court trials of Phoenix Wright. The music is amazing and it also looks great. The ending left a little to be desired but it wasn't enough to sour my experience of the whole game.

8. Bravely Default ; I love JRPG's but I have a hard time finishing most of them. I wasn't able to finish Bravely Default either, but I sunk in more hours into this game than most other JRPG's I play. The combat system was something unique and fresh, but there was so many other aspects that made Bravely Default feel like a classic SNES JRPG. Square Enix really went back to their roots and this is one of their best games in a long time.

9. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker ; Captain Toad was a late release this year but it's definitely one that made an impact on me. I loved the Captain Toad stages in Super Mario 3D World so when I found out Nintendo was making a full fledged game around those levels, I was ecstatic. The puzzle type gameplay is super unique and the way you have to manipulate the camera to find hidden treasure very cool. Oh, and it's probably the cutest game I've ever played.

10. Forza Horizon 2 ; Usually a game like Forza would not make it on my top 10 list but I think the fact that it does this year is due to the fact that I've just been getting into cars a lot more recently. Unlike other open world games where I feel like traversal might not be all that great (except Sunset Overdrive) I think open world racing games just make complete and total sense. I love just driving around the world with a ton of different cars. It's a blast and looks great to boot.

Honorable Mentions
x. Alien Isolation ; This is an Alien game done right. The intensity meter of this game is off the charts. You never know what's going to be around the next corner and I love it because of that. Just narrowly missed a spot on my list.

YeSp

Neo Member
1 Dark Souls 2: Not as good as the previous games but I liked it a lot for its mechanics
2 Destiny: I'm not supposed to like this game but I've played it relentlessly
3 Diablo 3 Ultimate evil: Local co op and plays really well on the ps4
4 Far Cry 4: More Far cry is never bad
5 Infamous second son: Love this franchise and although is not as good as the previous one

Lakitu

st5fu
After 40 or so hours, he is kinda not wrong :/

There's no indication in his post that he has played the game whatsoever. I guess you have to view a couple of webms and a read a few gaffers take on the game to form his own (uninformed) opinion of the game. But oh well, DA: I is cool to hate on nowadays.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I have noticed a lot of Nintendo only lists.

Really? I think I've seen perhaps four or five in a thread with ~700 posts. I've seen about the same amount of Sony or PC only lists. (your own entry seem to be PC only, so lol? :D)

There's always a couple of single-platform lists in these threads, because there's obviously some who thinks one gaming platform is enough. And so what?

Kathian

Banned
I looked back at the votes, and the influx of Bayonetta 2 being #1 really jumped very high once Dragon Age started getting a ton of votes. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins solely based on the fanbase's initiative to get it to win.

EDIT: For those who see this as an attack on them, I'm not suggesting some conspiracy. That's just you filling in the blanks with whatever makes you feel better about my statement.

I wouldn't be surprised if people voted for some thing and that thing won the popular vote. Vladimir wouldn't put up with this bullshit.

Mazzo

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; What a relief! Given the hype, this game could have been a huge disappointment, but instead it delivered the tight controls and huge amount of content I was hoping for.
2. The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ; Most of the flaws from the original game are gone, and what's left is simply a masterpiece!
3. Legend of Grimrock 2 ; This game scratched my dungeon crawling itch so well I'm not even mad it ended after just 20 hours.
4. Mario Kart 8 ; It was an unforgettable trip to race this many gorgeous courses while having fun with friends.
5. Shovel Knight ; Shovel Knight goes beyond paying homage to the classics, it improves on them and it's a great game on it's own right.
6. Dark Souls II ; What I missed the most in this game was the superb world design of Dark Souls, which was even more beautifully connected in the original game. On pretty much everything else, though, Dark Souls 2 did a great job.
7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Beautiful graphics and impressive set pieces add to the enjoyment of this well designed platformer.
8. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls ; Thanks for fixing Diablo III, Blizzard. I only wish the game launched with all these improvements.
9. Pushmo World ; Incredibly cute puzzles.
10. Broken Age: Act 1 ; A true point and click adventure, the kind that Telltale won't make anymore. I just wish it had more challenging puzzles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom