• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread [voting closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

"Nowadays" seems a bit broad for a game that only had a few weeks to potentially get hated on. And considering it's winning GotY, I think this is a rather strange thing to say. The hate can't be too strong here. Also, I think it's fine to link to videos, even if you have played a game, to show your point.

Regarding the Nintendo-only lists: I've likely played more Xbox One games this year than Wii U and 3DS games combined (at least wrt retail releases) and if I wanted, I could still fill a top 10 list of only games that were released on Nintendo platforms that I'd deem worthy. Part of it definitely is that I like Nintendo's style of making games, but another part also is that this year was really weak on the new platforms, at least form my perspective. Regardless, even if someone only has Nintendo platforms and votes only for Nintendo games because of that, what is the problem? Most people don't have all platforms that are available, and even if you have all platforms, you can't possibly play all games released in a year thoroughly enough to have given every game a fair chance.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
1. LISA ; 17 hours played in 3 days. I wish the story had a little more resolution at the end but it was a fun ride. I think the best way to describe this game would be to call it a mix of salad-fingers, hotline miami, japan and borderlands.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anyway, I don't understand the meltdown, because it's quite obvious that DAI is winning without any real rival - considering Wii U is super unpopular and DAI is on every console other than Wii U, I don't think it's even worth discussing if Bayonetta 2 standas a chance. I'd be surprised if it even reached number 2 or 3.

Although that would be logic, it's not the case until now. Quite the opposite.

TwiztidElf

AuIIypW.jpg

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Just wow.
2. Destiny ; Bags of fun. More content than the average CoD pile of shite.
3. Grand Theft Auto V ; One of the greatest games ever made just got even better. My personal last year GOTY. Only down here because I've played it before.
4. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; Local multi player and 2V2 both online and off are just amazing fun.
5. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; Taz-Dingo! Yeah-heheh-heh!
6. Rogue Legacy ; Hooked till the end. Perhaps one of the greatest 'pass the controller around the room' games ever.
7. The Last of Us: Remastered ; I understand why this is on a lot of people GOAT lists and last years GOTY. I understand why this is considered a masterpiece. It is superb. It's just too damn miserable and depressing to me.
8. Infamous: Second Son ; Better traversal, more fun and better story than Sunset Overdrive. And it looks amazing.
9. Awesomenauts Assemble! ; "I wish there was a decent console MOBA" It's right here bloke!
10. Pinball FX 2 ; The addiction begins anew. Well done Zen - I think you're one of my favourite devs right now.

2014 was amazing. That's the first time I've listed 10 games in my GOTY voting in many, many years.
And I haven't played Elite Dangerous yet.

1. Grand Theft Auto V ; The most believable open world to date. R* continues to shame the competition.
2. Dark Souls 2 ; Fuck the haters, functioning online and amazing PvP put this game very close to the top.
3. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; Amazing voice acting and South Park humour clearly catered to fans of the franchise. A bit light on gameplay but the pure amount of entertainment that can be found in characters and story more than make up for it.
4. Drive Club ; Best arcade racer since MSR for me. With online finally working, this game is a must-have for racing fans.
5. The Last of Us: Remastered ; Last year's GOTY in 60fps is simply a no-brainer.
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Best platformer of this generation. Rare does it again.
7. Mario Kart 8 ; I hate most Mario Kart games but this one felt different. Amazing graphics and track design together with a working online mode makes this one of the best games on the U.
8. Metro Redux ; Amazing presentation on both PC and consoles coupled with the trademark Metro atmosphere. Must play!
9. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; One of the best looking PC games I have ever played. A bit light on the gameplay department and (too) close to Assassin's Creed in some ways. And while the nemesis system is far from perfect, it definitely managed to turn this game into a memorable experience for me.
10. The Wolf Among Us ; Telltale's titles often get criticized for their lack of meaningful decisions, and TWAU is no exception. The setting and characters in this adventure are displayed in such excellence that I am willing to forgive them.

LX_Theo

Banned
Extremely hard. Hardly anyone would bother getting worked up over vote tabulations at this early point in the voting. Not to mention that the most motivated people are the ones most likely to vote anyway.I'd say that the biggest Bayo 2 boosters are the ones who voted it their #1 as soon as they saw the thread was open. The behavior you're positing is completely illogical.
So you thought conspiracy theories were more likely? Regardless of how flawed your logic is there, it still works even more against what you actually assumed I was talking about.

My goodness. I'm talking to idiots.

2. Destiny ; Bags of fun. More content than the average CoD pile of shite.

I actually like Destiny, but come on now. Let's not get crazy.

2014 was amazing. That's the first time I've listed 10 games in my GOTY voting in many, many years.

Agreed. Fantastic year, and a year with a ton of slow burn games that I'll be playing over the next few years.

Pleasant. Good day to you too, good sir.

xrnzaaas

1. The Last of Us Remastered - I didn't play it on the PS3 so the choice was very easy. :)
2. Alien Isolation - finally a great game from the Alien franchise
3. The Wolf Among Us - great story, great characters
4. Grand Theft Auto V next-gen - it's not higher on my list, because I was hoping that Rockstar would add some singleplayer DLC's in the meantime
5. Far Cry 4 - it's a fun game, but it feels like Far Cry 3.5 tbh
6. Outlast - I love horror games and this was one of the most enjoyable ones I played in years
7. The Walking Dead Season Two - not as spectacular as season one, but still very good
8. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor - yeah, the Nemesis system is great, but the world is small and the combat system is copy-paste of the Batman games
9. Driveclub - I didn't buy it right away so I can't complain too much about the server issues, plus I like the arcade controls
10. Watch Dogs - far from being a serious GTA competitor but it was pretty decent

iNvid02

1. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ; never played CCGs or even Blizzard's games much, but hearthstone was the one game I found myself coming back to over and over again this year.
It's incredibly polished and pleasing to look at, and delivers on it's tagline ("Deceptively Simple, Insanely Fun") completely. This is how it managed to rope me in, and even make me spend some money on it.

2. Far Cry 4
3. Dragon Age Inquisition
4. Assassin's Creed Unity
5. Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
6. The Walking Dead Season 2
7. Watch Dogs
8. Dark Souls 2
9. The Wolf Among Us
10. South Park The Stick of Truth

x. Child of Light
x. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
x. The Last of Us Left Behind
x. Valiant Hearts The Great War

Phediuk

So far, there are virtually no lists that contain both Dragon Age and Bayonetta; they've been almost mutually exclusive.

KooopaKid

Banned
I looked back at the votes, and the influx of Bayonetta 2 being #1 really jumped very high once Dragon Age started getting a ton of votes. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins solely based on the fanbase's initiative to get it to win.

EDIT: For those who see this as an attack on them, I'm not suggesting some conspiracy. That's just you filling in the blanks with whatever makes you feel better about my statement.

So what are you suggesting exactly? What is the purpose of that sentence?
Nice Sony only list BTW...who cares?

I have noticed a lot of Nintendo only lists.

So what are you suggesting exactly?
Your list looks also extremely varied...PC only? So what?

So far, there are virtually no lists that contain both Dragon Age and Bayonetta; they've been almost mutually exclusive.

Well, they do appear to different type of players. I'm not big on story-driven games or fantasy, so DA won't be in my list. It doesn't appeal to me at all.
Bayonetta 2 will be number one as I love that type of gameplay. My number two will be Tropical Freeze. Have to think about the rest, but it's a very gameplay-driven top ten. Though not Nintendo only. ;)

Man

1. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft ;
2. Destiny ;
3. Grand Theft Auto 5 ;
4. The Last of Us: Left Behind ;
5. P.T ;
6: The Last of Us: Remastered ;
7. Diablo 3: The Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition ;
8. Infamous: Second Son ;
9. Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes ;

jacobeid

Banned
1. Heartstone: Heroes of Warcraft ;
2. Destiny ;
3. Grand Theft Auto 5 ;
4. The Last of Us: Left Behind ;
5. P.T ;
6: The Last of Us: Remastered ;
7. Diablo 3: The Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition ;
8. Infamous: Second Son ;
9. Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes ;

Check your spelling. I'd hate for your favorite game this year to not get counted because of a simple error like that :/

Majmun

jf5R6O5IIeOVN.jpg

1. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; TLOU was my GOTY last year and the DLC is my GOTY this year. I just can't get enough of the TLOU universe.

2. Shadow of Mordor; Not really a fan of LOTR, but I had a lof of fun with the game. It plays great and has the amazing nemesis system.

3. Dark Souls 2 ; The worst Souls games so far imo, but still good enough for my top 3.

4. Driveclub; Terrible launch aside, this is one of the best racing games of the last decade. The handling is great and the graphics are phenomenal.

5. Rogue Legacy ; Spent countless hours dying, and I loved it. Perfect handheld game.

6. Tomb Raider: Rise of Osiris
7. Bayonetta 2
8. Mario Kart 8
9. Sunset Overdrive
10. Infamous Second Son

Bought and enjoyed TLOU Remaster and GTAV, but I didn't put them in my top 10. GTAV was my second best game of 2014, right after TLOU.

And I'm going on a lenghty vacation next week, so games I won't be finishing on time: Alien Isolation, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition

Soul Lab

1. Super Smash Bros For WiiU ; What a game. Almost 100 hours into it and it still feels so fresh. Ty based sakurai and namco bandai
2. Bayonetta 2 ; Hnnnnng. This game man. Sometimes during the campaign I couldnt believe what was going on on the tv. And the gameplay.... so amazing
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; imo the best 2d platformer ever (or equal to dk country 2). Retro is without a doubt one of the best out there.
4. Mario Kart 8 ; Great visuals, awesome tracks. Smooth online. Pure fun

More to come. Do i have to mention 10 games?

ghibli99

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Sublime gameplay, gorgeous visuals, and it's an improvement over the original in every way.
2. The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC ; This is DLC done right, even though it's short and not too difficult, even on Survivor. It's a very touching and important piece of the Last of Us backstory.
3. Shovel Knight ; Brilliant soundtrack, tight gameplay, good challenge, and one of my favorite Kickstarter success stories.
4. Mario Kart 8 ; This is the first game in the MK series I've genuinely loved since the original Super Mario Kart on the SNES. So fun and polished.
5. NES Remix 2 ; I've put more time into this $15 eShop game than most $60 retail ones. Getting rainbow stars is easier, but the excellent Miiverse integration will have you chasing other users' scores instead.
6. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; It's the only SSB game that's ever held my attention beyond a few matches.
7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Lovely game that provides lots of the same challenges and great level design of the Wii original.
8. Aban Hawkins & the 1001 Spikes ; Perfect controls and lots of 16-bit/indie love make this a memorable experience. Sound is pretty buggy on the Wii U, though.
9. Monument Valley ; I like to think of this as an isometric, scaled-down version of Journey. It has that feel, and it's memorable for that reason. It also has gorgeous colors.
10. Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 1 ; Nintendo knows how to do good DLC, and getting 8 new circuits plus the characters and karts makes this a great value in addition to being lots of fun. Only course I kinda go out of my way to avoid is Ice Ice Outpost.

I played surprisingly few 2014 releases this year while working on my backlog. Still, of the ones I did play, there were some really great ones. I'd recommend any of these without hesitation.

1. Smash Bros For WiiU:
What a game. Almost 100 hours into it and it still feels so fresh. Ty based sakurai and namco bandai

2. Bayonetta 2:
Hnnnnng. This game man. Sometimes during the campaign I couldnt believe what was going on on the tv. And the gameplay.... so amazing

3. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze:
imo the best 2d platformer ever (or equal to dk country 2). Retro is without a doubt one of the best out there.

4. Mario Kart 8:
Great visuals, awesome tracks. Smooth online. Pure fun

More to come. Do i have to mention 10 games?

Good list, but use the correct formating mate.

milena87

1. Divinity: Original Sin ; I backed the project on Kickstarter and it turned out amazing. I liked the combat, even if I'm usually not a fan of turn based games, I liked the story, the quirk humour and dialogues and I liked the freedom it gave me. It could use a better crafting system, though.
2. The Wolf Among Us ; my favourite Telltale game so far. I loved the characters, the story and the art style. The world of Fables was extremely interesting and I started reading the comics as well, after finishing the game.
3. Dark Souls II ; I think I liked it as much as Dark Souls overall. And I was finally able to play online with others! Praise the sun!
4. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; overall, I liked it. With better tactical camera, better PC controls and a better story it probably would have been my GOTY, but the poorly designed tactical camera, the stupid 8 spells/abilities limit and the poor PC controls really hurt my experience. Good characters and good / diverse areas, though.
5. The Walking Dead: Season 2 ; season 1 probably made me care more about the characters, but I loved playing Clementine and seeing her journey. I kinda wish to play as her again in Season 3.
6. The Banner Saga ; the first of the Kickstarter games I backed to come out and it didn't disappoint me. I loved the art style, the setting, the choices/consequences and I quite liked the story as well. The spike in difficulty at the final boss (especially if you specialized certain characters) after release was a bit jarring, but it's supposedly fixed now. I should play through it again.
7. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; I don't watch South Park and I still liked the game. The combat was a bit on the easy side unfortunately, but the game made me laugh more than I thought it would. And that's a big plus.
8. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, but I decided to give this one a try, since it focused only on SP. I'm glad I did, because it was an enjoyable and satisfying ride.

Honorable mentions:
Tropico 5 ;
Banished ;
Wasteland 2 ; I like what I played of them, but since I haven't yet put much hours into them, I prefer not to rank them.

1. Divinity Original Sin: I backed the project on Kickstarter and it turned out amazing. I liked the combat, even if I'm usually not a fan of turn based games, I liked the story, the quirk humour and dialogues and I liked the freedom it gave me. It could use a better crafting system, though.

2. The Wolf Among Us: my favourite Telltale game so far. I loved the characters, the story and the art style. The world of Fables was extremely interesting and I started reading the comics as well, after finishing the game.

3. Dark Souls II: I think I liked it as much as Dark Souls overall. And I was finally able to play online with others! Praise the sun!

4. Dragon Age Inquisition: overall, I liked it. With better tactical camera, better PC controls and a better story it probably would have been my GOTY, but the poorly designed tactical camera, the stupid 8 spells/abilities limit and the poor PC controls really hurt my experience. Good characters and good / diverse areas, though.

5. The Walking Dead Season 2: season 1 probably made me care more about the characters, but I loved playing Clementine and seeing her journey. I kinda wish to play as her again in Season 3.

6. The Banner Saga: the first of the Kickstarter games I backed to come out and it didn't disappoint me. I loved the art style, the setting, the choices/consequences and I quite liked the story as well. The spike in difficulty at the final boss (especially if you specialized certain characters) after release was a bit jarring, but it's supposedly fixed now. I should play through it again.

7. South Park Stick Of Truth: I don't watch South Park and I still liked the game. The combat was a bit on the easy side unfortunately, but the game made me laugh more than I thought it would. And that's a big plus.

8. Wolfenstein The New Order: I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, but I decided to give this one a try, since it focused only on SP. I'm glad I did, because it was an enjoyable and satisfying ride.

Honorable mentions: Tropico 5, Banished and Wasteland 2. I like what I played of them, but since I haven't yet put much hours into them, I prefer not to rank them.

you too, use the correct formatting (semicolons instead of colons)

Apenheul

1. Bayonetta 2 ; it's a celebration of the action genre, as if the developers were brainstorming and every time someone came up with a cool idea they somehow put it into this game. It's nonsensical and extremely self-aware, and better because of that.

2. Mario Kart 8 ; this would've been lower on the list if it weren't for the DLC. After MK8 it's hard to go back to other entries / kart racers because they'd feel very sterile. If I want to have a good time almost nothing beats doing versus mode with 3 other people on 40 courses in a row.

3. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze ; I liked DKCR but this game improves on that template in every way imaginable. In terms of pure platforming it's probably my favorite platformer since Super Mario Galaxy 2.

4. Super Smash Bros Wii U ; I've never been much of a Smash Bros player (I'd rather play Tekken or Street Fighter) but this year it finally clicked with me. It can be played as a traditional fighter but it only really shines IMO once you learn to appreciate performance. It's like a fighting game sandbox.

5. Divinity Original Sin ; I almost didn't get to play this game anymore in 2014 but I'm glad I gave it a chance. It walks on a thin line between retro and modern RPG design and pulls it off wonderfully.

6. South Park the Stick of Truth ; this game reminds me of how much I'd like to see a new console Paper Mario game in the style of a Thousand Year Door. I was expecting the worst but South Park is so authentic and funny that it had to make this years list.

7. Hearthstone ; ah yes I almost forgot about this one and thought it was a 2013 release. I love playing board games and card games, I'm a big Netrunner fan and although Hearthstone is very shallow game in comparison it's still really a lot of fun. And addicting..

8. Shovel Knight ; this game nails the retro-game feel but adds modern design elements to it. It probably has the best soundtrack of the year.

9. Dark Souls 2; the least good game in the Souls series is still a great game in 2014. I didn't finish it as I was sort of burned out on the formula when it came out though.

10. Sunset Overdrive ; I only got to play this game briefly but it impressed me much more than I expected. I generally dislike open-world games because navigation is often boring as hell but SO made it fun.

Khrno

1. Bravely Default ;
2. Mario Kart 8 ;
3. Far Cry 4 ;
4. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment ;
5. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ;
6. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ;
7. Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland ;
8. Dragon Age Inquisition ;
9. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call ;
10. Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster ;

Honorable Mentions:
* Destiny ;
* Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel ;

1. Bayonetta 2 ; Just... THE BEST.
2. Smash Bros. Wii U ; Falcon Punch?
3. Wolfenstein: The New Order ; Nazi Scum!.
4. The Banner Saga ;
5. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ;
6. The Last of Us: Left Behind ; Jole we can't be the GAF Games of the Year 2014 - Voting Thread Reply to Thread

SexyFish

Banned
1. Alien: Isolation ; I'm a sucker for good horror games and this was one of the best I've played since Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Only downside is the length, which was a tad long. Definitely recommend it to fans of Alien and to fans of horror.

2. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; A great improvement after the mediocrity that was Dragon Age II.

3. Shovel Knight ; Great platformer, fun and an homage to so many great games.

4. P.T. ; Another fantastic horror game. The atmosphere is fantastic, and I can't believe how well they did with making such a tiny layout so terrifying.

5. Far Cry 4 ; It's more Far Cry 3, and that's fine with me. FUCK THOSE GOD DAMN BIRDS THOUGH.

6. South Park: The Stick of Truth ; So much better than any South Park game had the right to be. Hilarious, great gameplay, and looks exactly like the show.

7. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ; The nemesis system is what makes this game and that's fine. The downside is the okay story, but the nemesis system and solid combat still put it on my list.

8. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth ;So much fun, and the game I keep coming back to the most. It'll join the ranks of Spelunky as games I spend way too much time on. Fun and challenging.

9. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS ; I was initially skeptical on a mobile Smash Bros, but they hit it out of the park. Great style and it plays like a dream.

10. Dark Souls II ; It isn't as good as Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, but it still is an incredible game. Enjoyable combat and a great sense of accomplishment.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Mario Kart 8 ; So much fun with friends, perfect for pretty much anyone to enjoy.

x. Bayonetta 2 ; Incredibly fun game packed with style.

Shizuka

1. Demon Gaze ; the first Experience DRPG to get localized, it was a joy from the first second to the last. Worth buying a limited edition and digital copy for.
2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc ; my favorite Danganronpa game, the plot is unbeatable and the cast still lingers in my mind. Syo best girl.
3. Mind Zero ; crazy as it may be, I enjoyed every single second of all 78 hours I spent playing this game. It's another DRPG, worth it for me.
4. Child of Light ; one of the best RPGs I've played, it's a shame it's too short.
5. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth ; worth it for the Persona fanservice, although the gameplay is nothing to sneeze at.
6. Project Diva f ; great rhythm game, loved every single song.
7. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus ; way better than Burst, it's a fun musou-like game.
8. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; while THH is still my favorite, GD was a great game on its own.
9. Murasaki Baby ; it's short, but it's sweet. One of the most overlooked Vita games.
10. Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds ; fun, fun, fun. Playing as Kurisu was even better.

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition
2. Guilty Gear Xrd
3. Shovel Knight
4. Ultra Street Fighter IV
5. Dark Souls II

...I guess those were the only games that impressed me this year.

Arion

1. Demon Gaze (Vita): the first Experience DRPG to get localized, it was a joy from the first second to the last. Worth buying a limited edition and digital copy for.
2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita): my favorite Danganronpa game, the plot is unbeatable and the cast still lingers in my mind. Syo best girl.
3. Mind Zero (Vita): crazy as it may be, I enjoyed every single second of all 78 hours I spent playing this game. It's another DRPG, worth it for me.
4. Child of Light (Vita): one of the best RPGs I've played, it's a shame it's too short.
5. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3DS): worth it for the Persona fanservice, although the gameplay is nothing to sneeze at.
6. Project Diva f (Vita): great rhythm game, loved every single song.
7. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (Vita): way better than Burst, it's a fun musou-like game.
8. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita): while THH is still my favorite, GD was a great game on its own.
9. Murasaki Baby (Vita): it's short, but it's sweet. One of the most overlooked Vita games.
10. Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds (Vita): fun, fun, fun. Playing as Kurisu was even better.

All that Vita but where is Freedom wars. did you not like it?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn me that i don't even remember what i did few hours ago... Based on the list I would say:
1. Danganronpa 1 ; because it's GREAT game, a mix of humor, splatter, mistery, visual novel, investigation and so on, what's better?.
2. Danganronpa 2 ; everything is better than DR1(except the hangman gambit and executions), but inevitably it doesn't have the same impact as playing the first game for the first time.
3. Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment ; very fun with lots of content.
4. Freedom Wars ; a hunting game that's not just a hunting game.
5. No Heroes Allowed No Puzzle Either ; very addictive puzzle game.

I stop here.

RK9039

header.jpg

1. Divinity: Original Sin ; You can use a cooking pot as a helmet. I bought it when the game was still in early access and I'm not a huge fan of turn based games, but Divinity: Original Sin made me realize I that should probably play more games like it. It also comes with Cow Simulator 2014, which is probably where all the development money went.

header.jpg

2. Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut ; I only bought the game very recently, and I'm finding it be a lot better than Dead Man's Switch (which I also enjoyed). It has great characters, a really interesting story and like Dead Man's Switch a lot of options. Eiger is a mad cow but I love her.

header.jpg

3. The Banner Saga ; It was the first game I bought this year and I had no idea at the time what the game was exactly, but I loved the art style. Started the game and soon found out the game had a very interesting story and non-combat gameplay features (lots of important choices to make with a lot of consequences). The turn based combat was great but got really hard towards the end but given how tense the story was at the end I didn't mind. The ending was beautiful and sad at the same time. I can't wait for more.

iIq77Azm9BlxD.jpg

4. Elite: Dangerous ; The scale of this game is mind boggling, I have not come across anything like Elite: Dangerous. Even though it seems like the game may have been released too early as some of the things they promised will come later, I still think what there is in the game and what you can do to be very enjoyable. If you like space exploration this game delivers.

ibvnFuwjIUoYII.jpg

5. Star Citizen - Arena Commander ; Not sure if I'm allowed to choose this as the game isn't out and it isn't on the spreadsheet in the OP, but Arena Commander is playable which is the dog fighting simulation. I have sunk many hours into this already and it's likely I'll be playing Star Citizen a lot more in the near future when they release the FPS/social module and also Squadron 42. Even right now with the limited flyable ships and two maps I am having a lot of fun playing this.

header.jpg

6. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; Played the game on PS3, and more recently the PC version which is an excellent port. Shame the game was too short, but it definitely makes you want to play The Phantom Pain as soon as you're done with it. Lots of fiddles will be played.

header.jpg

7. One Finger Death Punch ; The Jet Li stick-man simulator, also contains lightsabers and lightnunchakus. It's a surprisingly fun little game.

header.jpg

8. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC)
; Another awesome game that came out early this year even though we got the game later than the initial release on consoles. For a Metal Gear game the story was clearly not the main focus, Platinum Games are masters of this genre and it shows in Rising Revengeance.

iky5L6Bp3OgNz.jpg

9. Mario Kart 8 ; My only game on WiiU at the moment but I had a blast playing this online with friends and randoms.

header.jpg

10. Valkyria Chronicles (PC) ; Played the demo on PS3 back when it came out, but for whatever reason I didn't buy it at the time. When the PC version was up on Steam I didn't hesitate to get it this time and also the port is really good.

I'd add Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters (free content update) in there somewhere but I'm pretty sure I voted for that game last year so I think it might not be fair. It's still my most played game on Steam.

Servbot24

Banned
So you thought conspiracy theories were more likely? Regardless of how flawed your logic is there, it still works even more against what you actually assumed I was talking about.

"Everyone is so stupid... except for me!"

JimiNutz

Banned
1. Sunset Overdrive ; simply the most fun game that I've played in years. Beautiful graphics, colours and art style. Best traversal in any game I've ever played. Great combat with a nice variety of enemiess and unique weapons. Good upgrade and customization options. Lots of content that never gets boring. Funny humour that brings a smile to my face with a fitting and catchy soundtrack. Best game I've played all year easily.

2. Mario Kart 8
3. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
4. Titanfall
5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
6. EA UFC
7. Forza Horizon 2
8. South Park and the Stick of Truth

Tain

I think I like the new eligibility rules.

I got more games to play this year, though. Kind of a slow year for me between development and more multiplayer stuff and taking more difficult approaches to some games etc etc

1. Demon Gaze (Vita): the first Experience DRPG to get localized, it was a joy from the first second to the last. Worth buying a limited edition and digital copy for.
2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita): my favorite Danganronpa game, the plot is unbeatable and the cast still lingers in my mind. Syo best girl.
3. Mind Zero (Vita): crazy as it may be, I enjoyed every single second of all 78 hours I spent playing this game. It's another DRPG, worth it for me.
4. Child of Light (Vita): one of the best RPGs I've played, it's a shame it's too short.
5. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (3DS): worth it for the Persona fanservice, although the gameplay is nothing to sneeze at.
6. Project Diva f (Vita): great rhythm game, loved every single song.
7. Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (Vita): way better than Burst, it's a fun musou-like game.
8. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita): while THH is still my favorite, GD was a great game on its own.
9. Murasaki Baby (Vita): it's short, but it's sweet. One of the most overlooked Vita games.
10. Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds (Vita): fun, fun, fun. Playing as Kurisu was even better.

use the proper format, semicolons not colons

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";144031639]1. Dragon Age: Inquisition
2. Guilty Gear Xrd
3. Shovel Knight
4. Ultra Street Fighter IV
5. Dark Souls II

...I guess those were the only games that impressed me this year.[/QUOTE]

and you, add comments

theprodigy, our watchful protector against the many ineligible lists

I think I like the new eligibility rules.

I got more games to play this year, though. Kind of a slow year for me between development and more multiplayer stuff and taking more difficult approaches to some games etc etc

well since your alt, Riposte, decided to be a lame and not post a list, you'll gonna have to pull double duty this year

1. This War of Mine ; A simple but heartbreaking game about civilians in war. The art/music style are great for setting the heavily oppressive tone. Unisex disempowerment realism to juxtapose with the usual male power fantasy. A true survival horror game.

2. The Banner Saga : An amazing setting and beautiful art. Great storytelling and a simple but fun tactical combat game. Really looking forward to episode 2.

3. Dragon Age: Inquisition ; A huge game with great characters. Pity about the tactical cam but you can't have everything.

4. Divinity : Original Sin ; A brilliant old-school RPG, with some new and innovative ideas. Sometimes the combat can drag a bit due to the turn-based stuff, but the tactical options at your disposal are second-to-none.

3. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor ;[/B] The nemesis system is what makes this game and that's fine. The downside is the okay story, but the nemesis system and solid combat still put it on my list.

5. Alien: Isolation ; Finally, someone has made a good Alien game, instead of trying to make an Aliens game.

6. Far Cry 4 ; A really fun open world game, making the most of the sandbox. A bit too similar to FC3, but that's okay.

7. The Walking Dead : Season 2 ; Better than the TV series.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Destiny ; Amazingly fun co-op gunplay, mixed with shockingly bad design decisions and a lack of content
x. Endless Legend ; Great ideas to spice up the 4x genre (cf the terrible Civ:BE), but I've not played enough of it to put it on the list. I hear the AI is a bit poor.

Marjar

Banned
  1. The Talos Principle ; After playing this some more, I decided to make this my GOTY. I'm still debating whether or not I consider it a better puzzle game than the Portal games, and that's saying something considering how much I love Portal. Fantastic, philosophical writing that doesn't come off as cheesy or pretentious, beautiful environments, incredibly fun and challenging puzzles (some even with multiple solutions, something missing in many modern puzzle games), and an eargasm of an OST. Croteam really outdid themselves with this game, and I'd never expect the guys behind Serious Sam of all series would be able to craft something so serene and magical.
  2. Bayonetta 2 ; While the game's spectacle may not reach the same heights as the first Bayonetta, the more polished combat, amazing visuals, and trimming of the original game's fat makes it far superior and quite possibly Platinum's best game yet. It's practically a perfect action game.
  3. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ; An amazing cast of fighters and tons of content make this easily the best Smash Bros. game yet. Also Duck Hunt Dog.
  4. Mario Kart 8 ; My favorite Mario Kart game. Excellent online, amazing tracks, DLC done right, and one of the best soundtracks of the year. Only real problem with it is the roster.
  5. D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die ; SWERY does it again with another weird as fuck masterpiece. While it’s short, it has interesting characters and plot that keep you playing and wanting more, which is why it’s so painful that it ends on a cliffhanger. Also the soundtrack is god tier.
  6. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; Filled with charm, adorableness, and pure creativity, this is EAD Tokyo at their best. The fact that they were able to expand a mini-game into a full length product shows how amazing they are at their craft.
  7. Kirby: Triple Deluxe ; I was surprised with how much I loved this game. I’ve always been a Kirby fan, but this game is up there with Kirby Super Star as one of my favorites in the series.
  8. Shovel Knight ; Another big surprise for me. Shovel Knight is a great example of how to incorporate both retro and modern mechanics into one game. The controls are flawless, probably some of the tightest controls in an indie platformer. It also has an incredibly creative checkpoint system, along with an amazing soundtrack.
  9. Hyrule Warriors ; It’s incredibly repetitive, and yet it’s so addicting. This game is basically a love letter to the Zelda series and a giant array of fan service. Plus it has some of the best character designs in the series.
  10. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes ; Originally had Tropical Freeze here, but after playing this on PC, I had to change it to this. I hadn't ever beaten an MGS game other than MGS1 before playing this, partly because I strangely wasn't a fan of MGS1. This however has gotten me interested in the series more and now I really want to play Phantom Pain. Only Kojima can make what is essentially a demo actually worth paying for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom