• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

//B1G

Banned
it's crazy to me there (was) this huge scene in memphis with this fully developed style that is so unique that is so unknown to most hip-hop listeners. there's a huge catalog of music that came out of memphis in the 90's... it was a huge ass movement back then. i wish some magazine or something would write an editorial on how vastly unappreciated it is.
paul and juicy were doing some amazing things with their style back then. paul was a mixing genius and his ability to sample even his own work is crazy. to have that much music with the style the same all throughout and still have original sounding beats is a feat in itself.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
...and Lord Infamous and Koopsta Knicca. You probably just forgot to type that. S'all good. A little Indo G and Killa Klan Kaze wouldn't hurt either.

I have to re listen to the stuff I have on the DJ pc.. but I am doing studio works.. not their early 4 track works.. I am pumped.. lol

Blackace

it's crazy to me there (was) this huge scene in memphis with this fully developed style that is so unique that is so unknown to most hip-hop listeners. there's a huge catalog of music that came out of memphis in the 90's... it was a huge ass movement back then. i wish some magazine or something would write an editorial on how vastly unappreciated it is.
paul and juicy were doing some amazing things with their style back then. paul was a mixing genius and his ability to sample even his own work is crazy. to have that much music with the style the same all throughout and still have original sounding beats is a feat in itself.

Eight Ball and MJG got all the love

Tokubetsu

paul and juicy were doing some amazing things with their style back then. paul was a mixing genius and his ability to sample even his own work is crazy. too have that much music and to keep the style the same all throughout and still have original sounding beats is a feat in itself.

A lot of that in certain places. There are scenes in DC and Baltimore (mainly dance/party oriented) that just never get any exposure outside those areas. They don't care either. The bay can be a bit like that too but with a bit more national exposure. Local scenes are important.

kamspy

I have to re listen to the stuff I have on the DJ pc.. but I am doing studio works.. not their early 4 track works.. I am pumped.. lol

I can help. I'll PM ya.

3-6 is the real blueprint for the Lex Luger sound imo. Also, Lord Infamous was really the "voice" of classic 3-6 for me. 100%. Love em all, but when I think 3-6 I think Chapter 1 era beats and Lord Infamous (aka Scarecrow) blacking out on em.

Blackace

A lot of that in certain places. There are scenes in DC and Baltimore (mainly dance/party oriented) that just never get any exposure outside those areas. They don't care either. The bay can be a bit like that too but with a bit more national exposure. Local scenes are important.

All that Pitbull, DJ Klass/Class and whatever else that is bopping in Europe now could be found in DC/NJ back in the day....

Blackace

I can help. I'll PM ya.

3-6 is the real blueprint for the Lex Luger sound imo. Also, Lord Infamous was really the "voice" of classic 3-6 for me. 100%. Love em all, but when I think 3-6 I think Chapter 1 era beats and Lord Infamous (aka Scarecrow) blacking out on em.

Gotcha!! I have all of their "studio" stuff me thinks.. taking off from work now be home in about an hour and a half! PM me some stuff you want in there and I will fill in the blanks!

kamspy

Also, public service announcement time GAF, read up.

One of the last "good" 3-6 albums. Technically not a 3-6 album but it might as well be with how loose the group members were over the years.

KJ1Mg.jpg

Worth tracking down. On Amazon.

//B1G

Banned
i've got all paul and juicy's releases as well, including all their tapes, but i also have a lot of other dudes from the M if you want to do a whole memphis mix.

and definitely lord was the mastermind lyricist behind three 6... his last verse on gotcha shaking to me is probably his best ever, but all his verses are crazy sick http://youtu.be/uE5TOFJXW60?t=3m15s

i got so much respect for paul and juicy's production skills tho, their beats are just so dark and sinister... shit puts me in another place when i'm chiefing reeferrrr

kamspy

Best Lord Infamous to me is "Is There Anybody Out There" and "Come To Spill My Blood".

YT that shit yourself non 3-6 knowin GAF.

EDIT: Holy shit a good page on Gaf hop in 2012. Archive this shit Ace!

Tokubetsu

All that Pitbull, DJ Klass/Class and whatever else that is bopping in Europe now could be found in DC/NJ back in the day....

You got access to do a mix sometime later? I remember someone linking me to some Chicago house stuff from the early 90s that sounds a lot like the shit we hear from UK/EU now. A remix of Brandy too that sounded new but was fairly old.

Tokubetsu

One thing I love, since exploring the Triple Six shit, is sometimes on the albums, they just let the instrumental ride. My favorite track on Da Devils Playground is basically just a six minute instrumental:
http://youtu.be/Eice3UrW-Kw

Or like on Prophet Posse. Vocals don't even come in until well over a minute into the track:
http://youtu.be/T1XLNKElphE

That fucking beat. Listen to those claps. They broke that beat down, and then busted it wide open.

It's mafia time/ Lord infamous' mind, it just ain't stable

kamspy

I knew you'd get into that shit hardcore.

I'd pay to get my memory of 3-6 erased and get to explore all the shit again. Good times. Soak it up.

//B1G

Banned
One thing I love, since exploring the Triple Six shit, is sometimes on the albums, they just let the instrumental ride. My favorite track on Da Devils Playground is basically just a six minute instrumental:
http://youtu.be/Eice3UrW-Kw

Or like on Prophet Posse. Vocals don't even come in until well over a minute into the track:
http://youtu.be/T1XLNKElphE

That fucking beat. Listen to those claps. They broke that beat down, and then busted it wide open.

It's mafia time/ Lord infamous' mind, it just ain't stable

oh yeah man that's one of my favorite things about them and why i say i appreciate paul's mixing/sampling skills so much.

kreepin out da cut
slangin rocks

peep this lil fly album, i think i linked it to you before. kamspy should check it too cus i doubt he's heard this haha. produced by paul too! before fly broke camp

//B1G

Banned
So these are their two best albums?

Also, this is random as fuck, but in my head I've always pronounced your sn kamPSY :lol just noticed this. Now I realize you are a spy...

actual albums, arguably yeah. i'd also check Mystic Stylez, their debut release.
there are literally like 30 tapes though released before they started dropping records, but those are a looot different than rap you probably like if you haven't heard this style

T Dollarz

Damn, that track is too nice. It screams Bone Thugz to me. Nothing how I remember the shit songs that got top40 from them when I was in middle school like mid 2000s

Also, public service announcement time GAF, read up.

One of the last "good" 3-6 albums. Technically not a 3-6 album but it might as well be with how loose the group members were over the years.

KJ1Mg.jpg

Worth tracking down. On Amazon.

That album was the last great thing they did. YEAH I SAID IT!

Tokubetsu

Damn, that track is too nice. It screams Bone Thugz to me. Nothing how I remember the shit songs that got top40 from them when I was in middle school like mid 2000s

They were beefing with Bone. They made a diss track but you would never hear it:
http://youtu.be/gv-XZNy6FGA

Partly because like a lot of acts in Memphis at the time, they did everything themselves but also because the track is dark as fuck.

"Well I shall take a 1000 razor blades/ and I be pressin them into their flesh"

"Take my pitchfork out the fire and soak it in they chest/ Through their ribs, spines, charcoalin the muscle tissue/ and sending what's left in the mail to your mammy/ cause i that bitch might miss you"

That's just the first verse...Now you know why they're called Triple Six Mafia.

Tokubetsu

Then Bone Thugs made an entire album about dudes stealing their style.

Xh4S5.jpg

Funny, in my rap playlist, I have my Triple 6 albums/tracks listed right next to BTNH haha. I still never did get why they were beefing. Both styles were similar, but different in enough for ways for it to not be a problem. It was stupid. Lyrical content was different, early Triple Six went way darker than BTNH ever did, they always just flirted with the horrocore shit and dropped it way earlier in their career than 36 did (First two EPs/tapes were basically all we got like that). Triple Six flow was less about "rapping fast while still flowing" and more about "flowing, and speeding and slowing accordingly." BTNH always had two speeds, fast as fuck, and pretty fast.

//B1G

Banned
they had a beef cus bone mentioned them in a '95 vibe mag calling them bustas basically. everyone in memphis took it personal and there's probably 10 different bone disses by different people. TW III did one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_sTvbpEZ0A

the tonque twisting style came out of memphis though fersure. i think bone totally bit the whole style and i've never listened them because of the shit haha

Tokubetsu

they had a beef cus bone mentioned them in a '95 vibe mag calling them bustas basically. everyone in memphis took it personal and there's probably 10 different bone disses by different people. TW III did one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_sTvbpEZ0A

the tonque twisting style came out of memphis though fersure. i think bone totally bit the whole style and i've never listened them because of the shit haha

You missing out man. Bone's got some great shit. You'd probably like Creepin On A Come Up the most. 8 tracks and it's the most memphis like shit they ever did. Just more melodic?

I really need to get some tommy wright shit. Pretty fun how his tapes go for literally hundreds of dollars.

So I made this for a class and I thought I'd share it here because I'm sure some of you guys would appreciate it somewhat. It's 30 seconds from Method Man by Wu-Tang.... first time I really used After Effects extensively so it was kinda rewarding to finish it

http://vimeo.com/37510916

//B1G

Banned
You missing out man. Bone's got some great shit. You'd probably like Creepin On A Come Up the most. 8 tracks and it's the most memphis like shit they ever did. Just more melodic?

I really need to get some tommy wright shit. Pretty fun how his tapes go for literally hundreds of dollars.

yeah i'm sure i am, i heard their horrorcore stuff is pretty good, but i'm fine with my memphis shit haha.
everything is business, ain't shit personal.

aye and here's some more of those instrumental type tracks cus i'm on that tip right now.

hi, i'm chucky
smoke a sack
1000 blunts
^ the YT comment on that shit just cracked me up "i smoked 1000 blunts waiting for someone to start rapping on this track" hahaha

Actually it started in the Midwest and the South right around the same time. Twista set the record on 1992. Bone and three six formed in the same year.

Edit: Oh it isn't good it is great. Meet me somewhere Ace!

kamspy

I never really took a side in the beef either. Appreciate them both. 3-6 had a stronger influence on the sound of modern music imo.

Ace it right. It's decent. First two are classics. Just like Nas.

Esch

Banned

it doesnt even matter who that shit came from; bone perfected it and its the style the midwest is known for son. twista, eminem, bone, tech n9ne, etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom