• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
yeah, gaf is gaf, i like when it's not coli of reddit or some other forum but the lite version

I used to post years and years ago, like 10+ years ago, on rapmusic.com
I was a mod there for a while actually. Being young and dumb I embarrassed the fuck out of myself on the behalf of some ho who I knew even at the time wasn't worth it. But anyways, the point is, this thread will forever seem like a bastion of hip hop knowledge and discussion next to that place. Don't get me wrong there were some cool dudes on that site, and some talented ones too. Tonedeff used to post on there while I was a member actually. But the lax modding and sheer numbers of members meant you had a sea of fucking idiocy to deal with.

HiResDes

Dope song is definitely one of my most anticipated. Torture is the one he said is darkest he's made right?

Pretty much. Shit, Ye is soft as fuck. It's pretty easy for me to separate art from artist. Drake makes good music.

Dope Song is the 2nd best song that's already leaked...You can already listen to it you know...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ace, I really like the updated version of that Jaws beat, sounds way more complete.

Section80 is funny, I didn't like it that much initially. I mean it had it's moments, but it was a 5/10 album for me. Spiteful chant was and still is my shit, and hiiipower and blow my high were always favorites too, but I thought a lot of the album was boring. It wasn't until after GKMC and I went back to it that I appreciated it more. Still think GKMC is the better album by far (it was my AOTY and one of the most enjoyable albums I've heard in years) but section80 is a 7/10 for me now.

Really hope we get a Jay Rock album soon. I went back to black friday after about a year and forgot how many great tracks there are on it. A lot of filler shit but the high points are really really high.

HiResDes

What's the best? (Just curious)

Side A IMO.

Also these pen & pixel shirts, inspired me to print this whenever I get a chance

WTF-Album-Covers-Top-Dog-Slam-Dunkn-Hoes.jpg
big-bear-doin-thangs.jpg

I used to post years and years ago, like 10+ years ago, on rapmusic.com
I was a mod there for a while actually. Being young and dumb I embarrassed the fuck out of myself on the behalf of some ho who I knew even at the time wasn't worth it. But anyways, the point is, this thread will forever seem like a bastion of hip hop knowledge and discussion next to that place. Don't get me wrong there were some cool dudes on that site, and some talented ones too. Tonedeff used to post on there while I was a member actually. But the lax modding and sheer numbers of members meant you had a sea of fucking idiocy to deal with.

It's worse now. Jeff sold the site and the new owners started using some awful service that had tons of ads that decent browsers kept blocking due to malicious scripts. That and the explosion of battle leagues like Grindtime/URL/KOTD brought all kinds of insane trolls out of the woodworks.

As bad as it was back in the day, it was still better than it is now. I mostly lurked for the audio battles but it was cool seeing guys like Tonedeff, Deacon The Villain, Immortal Technique, and Poison Pen back when they were still in a building phase of their careers.

I'm starting to think there are two possibilities with Old

1. Danny has purposely released the edm-esque tracks to build hype amongst his Pitchfork hipster crowd first. In reality the album is called "Old" and the intro explains that people want that old Danny back, so overall the album will be Hybrid-esque with some EDM flourishes here or there to appease the critics

2. The album is basically half EDM, half "old" shit.

oh yeah I've seen the live version, I thought you meant the studio version
that video is still nuts. I saw him play it live and the crowd went as crazy as you'd expect. fun times

Cudder

I'm starting to think there are two possibilities with Old

1. Danny has purposely released the edm-esque tracks to build hype amongst his Pitchfork hipster crowd first. In reality the album is called "Old" and the intro explains that people want that old Danny back, so overall the album will be Hybrid-esque with some EDM flourishes here or there to appease the critics

2. The album is basically half EDM, half "old" shit.

Appease the critics? They'd probably rip into the album more for not being consistent.

Samk

Lana del Rey x El-p or buck 65.

Love that girls voice. Want her to do some hip hop. But I dunno how the industry works.

You all talked about how great Run the Jewels was, right? I just got my hands on it and been wearing it out

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why isn't this a damn station? My favorite station is the strip club music at this point.
I sorta like the dual hip-hop station set up they've got with one with WC classics and new age WC music. *shrug*

I've been listening to a lot of different things. This game man.. the way it autoselects certain songs to play the first time you get into a car after something happens with one of the characters (noticed it particularly with Michael).. goddamn. So many nuanced details in this game. Either that or it's serendipity, which is awesome too.

CRS

I think area (obviously) and the person are also taken into account.

Overall, the FlyLo station and classic rock station are getting the most burn from me. Everyone in a while, I'll put it on the country(?) station when the Johnny Cash song is on.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I sorta like the dual hip-hop station set up they've got with one with WC classics and new age WC music. *shrug*

I've been listening to a lot of different things. This game man.. the way it autoselects certain songs to play the first time you get into a car after something happens with one of the characters (noticed it particularly with Michael).. goddamn. So many nuanced details in this game. Either that or it's serendipity, which is awesome too.

I like individual songs on both those stations but none are consistent enough just to ride to for my taste. Even the classic RnB and alternative hip hop station aren't killing it. In IV I use to just ride out to the classic RnB but there is no equivalent to that in V.....

That might be my only petty complaint

mooooose

ye is a fucking idiot but i wish he did more interviews just so his persona would get over more than it is. he tried for so long to save face but hes been in full douchebag mode since after mbdtf

Tokubetsu

Everyone knows the best stations are Chatterbox, Rebel Radio and then the station that plays soul and the funk station.

Y'all listening to rap like some lames. Boring. *yawn*

The dub/reggae/dancehall station with Lee Perry is great too but y'all not ready.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ye is a fucking idiot but i wish he did more interviews just so his persona would get over more than it is. he tried for so long to save face but hes been in full douchebag mode since after mbdtf
Ye is probably one of the most intelligent rappers in the game.

Tried so long to save face, wat? He stopped giving a fuck about saving face like a month after Taylor Swift went back on her word after they met face to face and talked about it all. I would stop giving a fuck too. And this was all pre-MBDTF.

Still don't get the sentiment where Ye changed. Dude was saying the exact same shit about how he's the messiah of the culture back on radio stations in College Dropout days. Stop it five.

DominoKid

overcast

oh yeah I've seen the live version, I thought you meant the studio version
that video is still nuts. I saw him play it live and the crowd went as crazy as you'd expect. fun times
Yeah, dope song live is insane.

Kanye has been a douche forever, lately he veered into the crazy lane with this whole paparazzi shit. Cocky Kanye is great though.

Are embedded youtube videos not showing up for anyone else? Whenever I click to play, a blank box appears. I have to click the link itself and watch on youtube. Am I the only one?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So guys getting perms are what's hot in the streets these days, huh? What's next Jerry Curls? Soul Glo juice over everything right...... Smh

mooooose

what was the story between Rocky and The Kickdrums?

Kickdrums were doing their crossover mixtape, they got Lana on a song and were gonna scrap it, but when they linked up with Rocky and were showing him beats he found that and thought it was dope so he took the beat and did a reference track to work on it later. Kickdrums were putting out their mixtape and used that as a street single and Rocky's label/management strong armed them into not including it. Anyway the reference track/demo got leaked and Rocky sucked on it and tried to save face but the song was kinda ruined and I'm assuming the bad blood between him and the Kickdrums meant it wasn't worth trying to save the song, so it stayed off his album. It couldn't have just been the leak, because PMW without Q and another Rocky verse leaked and that was still on the album.

Also I'm watching Q's show in London from the iTunes series and he's doing literally the same setlist as he was from last year when I saw him with ASAP and Danny on 9/29. One year later, he is in the same exact place as he was then. So sad. His album needs to drop.

Nightmare on Figg St is one of the best songs ever.

Q has a lot of hyphy songs he should just do right away that he shouldn't still be doing songs like Oxy Music (Party, Hell of a Night, Druggies wit Hoes 2, Collard Greens, Hands on the Wheel). Just do ur party songs bwai

edit - maaaaaaan he closed with yay yay... that song is really cool live, just a good vibe of being dark, chill, and somehow hype when it has to be. it has a very paranoid sound to the beat and q sounds scary with all the adlibs and backing tracks shit is cool as fuck

Tokubetsu

Really don't see Interscope letting Oxymoron drop this year barring a miracle. They'd have to let it go now because with Eminem coming early Nov, and the way they work, that's all they're probably gonna push for the rest of the year.

Like really, we should be listening to Oxymoron already. We should have had it for like two months now. It should have dropped at the top of the summer.

Curren$y - Audio Dope 4

overcast

I'm hoping for an October release still. Or December. Would be crazy to go a year without a TDE release. Would halt any momentum they had (a lot of it died down when Oxy was delayed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom