• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Man, I wish I had a sampler or something. Who knows, it's easier to make music on a computer obviously.
A friend of mine started buying (and then repairing and reselling to try out all different models at least once) old MPCs for a while now and I tried them all out, which was a new experience, as I've been making beats since my youth with software only. In the end, to be honest, it's too much of a hassle if you're used to your fast, convenient workflow on computers. And I have amazing plugins that emulate vintage hardware/vinyl sound so well I'm sure nobody here could tell the difference (s/o to Sonitex STX-1260, whew).

Yeah, I think it's pretty much moved on to computers. Though if one uses the studio as Hip Hop production gets even more advanced, Hip Hop brings more and more layers into a track.

illadelph

I'd actually argue that as a whole, hip-hop beats have gotten a lot simpler as they have moved away from sampling. Listen to how sparse most trap beats are; Mike Will only uses 7 sounds per beat

I'd actually argue that as a whole, hip-hop beats have gotten a lot simpler as they have moved away from sampling. Listen to how sparse most trap beats are; Mike Will only uses 7 sounds per beat

I'm thinking about guys like Kanye West, though, who's done things for production that I hope more producers run further with. I mean, we're talking a producer who incorporates strings, brass instruments, pianos, gospel choirs, multiple samples, live drums, chinese bells, synths, and more into his music. Of course, groups like Death Grips and rappers like Danny Brown and Kendrick Lamar have also done a good job bringing more to production as well.

I also don't mind rappers who don't use sampling, honestly. Lot's of Hip Hop production that utilizes synths add a layer of coldness that really serves the music very well.

I'm thinking about guys like Kanye West, though, who's done things for production that I hope more producers run further with. I mean, we're talking a rapper who incorporates strings, brass instruments, pianos, gospel choirs, multiple samples, live drums, chinese bells, synths, and more into his music. Of course, groups like Death Grips and rappers like Danny Brown and Kendrick Lamar have also done a good job bringing more to production as well.

Slightly tangent, but I genuinely believe that On Sight is one of the greatest rap productions ever committed to "wax." It's phenomenal how good those synths and the drum pattern simulated by the bleeps and bloops. It's a goddamn classic Kanye track and belongs in his top ten, no doubt. Yeezus is his third classic.

Slightly tangent, but I genuinely believe that On Sight is one of the greatest rap productions ever committed to "wax." It's phenomenal how good those synths and the drum pattern simulated by the bleeps and bloops. It's a goddamn classic Kanye track and belongs in his top ten, no doubt. Yeezus is his third classic.

Even though I'm not really into MBDTF, I think one of his crowning achievements is what he did with Lost In The World. That song is absolutely incredible, and the ending is hands down my favorite things he's ever produced. The moment where the tribal drums and the female choirs come in made me overwhelmed with emotions the first time I heard it.

On another note:

Yeah, breathe in, breathe out
If ya iced up, pull ya sleeves out
Push a big truck, pull ya keys out
Girls go wild and pull ya D's out!

Lol.

illadelph

Ludacris was the best feature killer for a good while, though Common's verse on Get 'Em High was probably the best on that whole album

Ludacris was the best feature killer for a good while, though Common's verse on Get 'Em High was probably the best on that whole album

Yeah, I do like that song, probably because Talib and Common are prominent on that one. Despite my praise for Kanye's producing prowess, I've never been a fan of Kanye as a rapper.

Dereck

That new Ab-Soul album is gonna be straight fiiii

lrX0UWd.gif

Dereck

Danny Brown DNA or Earl Sweatshirt DNA?
Intercepting a fifth of whisky and necking it 'til I'm dizzy
I never was defenseless, I never hugged the fence
I pick a side and trust in it, stomach full of drugs and shit
My niggas on some other, Cleanse Sunday, binge Monday
Then another six days, back to Sunday when it's done again

I ain't smoke an eighth a day, I might end up a mental patient
Terry cloth bathrobes, blunts and ashtrays
White wine in flute glass, early morning Saturdays
Food plates and grape Ape, crepes and OJ

HiResDes

The only post in neogaf history to make me audibly wtf, come on son
You're new as fuck then, I was being nice forreal...

Kanye's verses are more memorable overall and he's already in his lazy ghostwriter shuffling phase

The album is middling at best with a couple of highs that people think make the rest of its mediocrity forgivable

I don't think What a Time To Be Alive is a masterpiece or anything but even with its flaws that turned out to be a much successful collaboration than WTT overall.

Neither WTT or WATTBA impressed me at all. Haven't revisited either since their release month. If it wasn't for the big singles catching on, I'd have forgotten about them tbh

Hallelujah. I've been really excited for the album, and I'll take a listen to it tonight.

Ye's original Famous version with Thugga surfaced:

KANYE WEST - NINA CHOP (FT. YOUNG THUG) (ORIGINAL)

This is garbage, lol. They really made something better out of it in the end.

This song is hilarious. "I feel like Amber Rose still owe me sex / I made that bitch famous / Not really, but somewhat famous" followed by Thug's fucking adlib "Mmm, kinda" is a legendary bar. "And did you know the country Switzerland, it was famous for lakes?" is a legendary bar.

Koozek

This song is hilarious. "I feel like Amber Rose still owe me sex / I made that bitch famous / Not really, but somewhat famous" followed by Thug's fucking adlib "Mmm, kinda" is a legendary bar. "And did you know the country Switzerland, it was famous for lakes?" is a legendary bar.

EDIT: Nvm. You're talking about Thugga's lines, not Ye's.

Courage

yeah the Thugga ad-libs > Swizz ad-libs. Wish he had more of a presence on Highlights.

yeah the Thugga ad-libs > Swizz ad-libs. Wish he had more of a presence on Highlights.
I find the Thugga adlibs a lot more funny, but Swizz is the one that's more hype. And yeah, Thug was wasted on Highlights. Kanye should have just guested on a Thug song.

In other news, MC4 got scrapped.
But sometimes bad things happen to good people. Sample clearance issues and an unfortunate leak in August led French to cancel his sophomore album, Mac & Cheese 4 (MC4), he revealed exclusively in an interview with Complex. “I made it how I made Mac & Cheese 3,” he said— meaning that he made it like a mixtape, outside of the strict legal guidelines required for an official album release. Rather than cobble together some other, less-than-ideal version of the project, originally slated for an Oct. 14 release, French opted to move on to the next one. After all, you don’t earn a reputation like French’s by wallowing in your problems.

So, I guess those Target CD copies of MC4 are going to be real collectors' items now.

EDIT:
Are you going to vote in this election?

I think I’ma vote.

French's publicist [interjecting]: He can’t vote.

Huh?

French's publicist: You’re not a citizen you can’t vote.

Yeah I can, I’m a citizen.

French's publicist: You’re a citizen now?

A green card don't make you a citizen?

French's publicist: No. He can’t vote so we’ll skip that question.
EDIT 2: New GOOD Music Lineup:
CyHi dropped, Mos Def dropped, HXLT dropped.

lawnchair

Banned

i downloaded this and got a text message from some number saying thanks for downloading my album, if you want me to do more please donate. i texted back saying i think its great and good job. he texted back and said "thanks". i dont remember entering my phone number tho ..

olympia

i downloaded this and got a text message from some number saying thanks for downloading my album, if you want me to do more please donate. i texted back saying i think its great and good job. he texted back and said "thanks". i dont remember entering my phone number tho ..

hahaha

oh vince. nobody is laughing at that lady because of her opinion. ofc you should be involved in what your kids listen to. we're laughing at her because she had such a perplexingly severe reaction and read your lyrics in an hilariously obtuse manner

hahaha

oh vince. nobody is laughing at that lady because of her opinion. ofc you should be involved in what your kids listen to. we're laughing at her because she had such a perplexingly severe reaction and read your lyrics in an hilariously obtuse manner
Vince knows this. His response was pretty much the best way to handle responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom